Sushi of Gari 46
347 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
SushiPrice: $50 and over
Sushi of Gari 46
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sushiofgari.com/
- Phone: 2129570046
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:15pm
Monday: 5:30pm - 10:45pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:15pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:15pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masashi Aoki
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please inquire for details.
A word from Sushi of Gari 46
For a decade owner and chef Gari Sugio has run a sushi restaurant that is innovative in the way it serves sushi with both cold and warm ingredients, offering more than 130 varieties. Sushi of Gari 46 focuses primarily on serving Gari’s “Signature Omakase” Sushi dinner which shows off his expertise with marinated and spiced raw and slightly cooked ingredients, in addition to a menu of traditional Japanese dishes. The sake selection, by Gari Sugio, is one of the best in town along with a limited wine selection of fine wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Sushi of Gari 46 - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Sushi of Gari 46 reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)special occasion (52)neighborhood gem (38)romantic (18)great for lunch (17)hot spot (14)late-night find (10)good for groups (7)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Terrific Non-TraditionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Go with hunger and an open mind. Omakase was wonderful. Everything was good. Most pieces were excellent. A few were sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Animated Japanese dinner!bobsasDined on 9/10/2014They receive guests with a loud "welcome" in Japanese, said by all waitresses, with happiness and quick movements, that you have the sensation that all thing spins around you. The plates are all excellent with an artistic presentation that enriches booth view and taste. Enjoy it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great omekaseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/7/2014Great food, decent service, iffy crowd. Would go again for the food but prob skip the omekase due to price. But food was memorable and worth it. Crowd sitting next to us were unpleasant and rude to the servers. They ended up calling the manager to their table to complain which made the experience less than spectacular for us. Keep in mind, it's a small restaurant and crowdedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Night SushiCathyLSGVIPDined on 9/6/2014My friend and I were coming from the shows at New York Fashion Week and needed to have a late dinner. We were thrilled to find this restaurant on Open Table, with an open table!! The sushi was fresh and the best I have ever eaten in New York; and I am in NY twice a year for fashion week, so I eat a lot of sushi! We also enjoyed a delicious fruit and mochi dessert which was to-die-for! I can't wait to go back in February when we return for fashion week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omakase!amandaVIPDined on 9/5/2014What a great experience! We went the omakase route and enjoyed the variety + surprise. Everything was extremely fresh and the service was phenomenal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Sushi/sashimi was excellent! I would certainly go back againSpecial Features:
- MerwinMerwinDined on 9/4/2014Great saki selection -- and the food to go with it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I live in Tokyo .....AmericanfromTokyoDined on 8/31/2014and when I come to the US rarely eat sushi as most restaurants simply do not source fresh fish here. Sushi of Gari was one of the few places I would go. However, this visit, even this restaurant had "fishy" tasting product and not the light/clean taste of fresh fish you get in Japan. But, it is the best that you will likely get NYC.Special Features:
- Just what we wantedKevBDined on 8/31/2014Outstanding food. Was worried from reading other reviews that the service and amenity was going to be lacking, but far from it. Formal and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok Sushi with some attitudeFoodie2Dined on 8/27/2014Sushi was good, but not memorable. The service and their attitude were NOT as it should be, for an upscale-wanna-be restaurant. The portion was rather small size for the price you pay, even considering a Japanese sushi/sashimi dish. The only positive thing about this dinner was the company of my friends whom I haven't seen for a while.Special Features:
- De gustibus non est disputandumDarpaveVIPDined on 8/26/2014I find that I prefer my sushi without sauces. I want to taste the fish and perhaps a shiso leaf and salt, but not a creamy sauce no matter how tasty. The service was great and they were extremely accommodating, seating us a half hour earlier than our reservation. Nice sake and wine list, we had a very nice Sauvignon Blanc. We ordered omakase and it was all tasty enough and the sashimi items were very good, but the nigiri nod oysters were masked by sauces. For that kind of dough, I prefer tasting clean, fresh subtle, unadulterated favors. I didn't expect it to be a good value and was not disappointed in that regard. Not bad, just different from what I'd hoped for the price. De gustibus...
- Great foodMichyDined on 8/26/2014Sushi was delicious and fresh. Our daughter took the last piece or sushi roll although she claimed she was food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 starchris83Dined on 8/22/2014Omakase at the bar...simply stunning ..congratulationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OmakaseSarioDined on 8/18/2014We were in four and we all took the 12 pieces omakase. It was so good that we aked for 2 more pieces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing quality!vtsuiVIPDined on 8/16/2014Heard great things about this restaurant and it didn't disappoint! The fish was so fresh. The uni melts in your mouth and, I dare say... best spicy tuna I have EVER had... The waiter we had wasn't the sharpest, but looked like we got a fluke because everyone else seemed on the ball. They also ran out of the hamachi and hamachi belly (we ate later in the evening). Otherwise, the food alone is worth it, so highly recommended. I think sitting at the sushi bar would be the best bet!Special Features:
- Always a Great ChoiceRGinBKDined on 8/16/2014I've been many times. The food is always excellent, as is the service. You'll want a reservation.Special Features:
- Awesome meal!ChrisVDined on 8/16/2014One of the best meals I've ever eaten in my life. The only problem I had was after some of the food came out, I had to move because they had a larger group coming in and didn't take it into account before we ordered and started eating. When you pay over $300 before tip, that shouldn't happen. Other than that, it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best sushitexasmamaVIPDined on 8/14/2014We went to Sushi of Gari before going to a show. We chose the sushi special which is 12 pieces of the best sushi. Each piece is a different type of fish and has a unique sauce. Each piece had a very distinct flavor and tasted wonderfully. We would definitely go back there again. We told them we had a show to see and they got us out right on time. We also had the plum wine with dinner and that too was great.
- Fantastic Sushi, Great ServicealiadineDined on 8/13/2014Brilliant small sushi spot, tucked away on 46th. A bit crowded and a bit noisy, but worth it for the excellent quality of fish and superior presentation. I'd prefer fewer tables and a bit more room, but it isn't so packed that it is uncomfortable. Could do with an expanded wine list, but all in all - worth the money and I've always been delighted.Special Features:
- Good (but pricey) pre-theater sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/8/2014We've eaten at Sushi of Gari 46 for pre- theater meals several times over the past few years, and usually ordered the omakase sushi. Our sense this time was that the omakase sushi is no longer as creative and carefully composed as it has been, and the better value is to order sushi al a carte.
- Brilliant!SeanNYVIPDined on 8/4/2014Excellent fish, fabulous preparation and brilliant service. There were many standouts; the surprise hit was the cod in miso served as sushi. Our server Yun was so professional: extremely knowledgeable and courteous. The whole experience was ideal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But Can Be Very GoodJOELJOANDined on 8/3/2014A number of locations in the city. I have been to the theater district location several times. First time was quite impressed. Went on a Sunday this last time and it was only "good." The longer sushi sits on ice the less firm it gets, and I am sensitive to texture. That was probably the reason it was not quite as good Sunday night. The same would be true at other sushi places in the city. I would recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatFred58VIPDined on 7/31/2014This is a great Japanese restaurant. Sushi is fresh and super. Service outstanding. The only place to go to in the theatre district for Japanese food.Special Features:
- Excellent MealBakerTravelsDined on 7/30/2014Following a recommendation, a colleague and I tried and loved this establishment. He ordered the tuna dinner which was an incredible selection of generous cuts of various tuna along with a roll. He said every single bite was excellent. Presentation was top notch. I had the regular sushi dinner which had more variety but was also wonderfully presented and tasted great. Service was very attentive without being cloying. It does have the NYC issue of tables being super close but this is definitely a keeper on the short list for higher quality meals. Out of towners may find it a tad pricey, but the quality is top flight.Special Features:
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/30/2014Sushi of Gari is my families favorite Sushi in NYC- we always leave with a smile.
- OverpricedmattDined on 7/25/2014This place is centrally located, but it was way overpriced for the quality of food and the ambiance. It looks like your garden-variety sushi house that you would find anywhere else in the city. Except it is 3x the price of your garden-variety sushi house. The food quality was above average, but when you factor in cost, it just wasn't worth it. A dinner for two with a bottle of sake topped $200. I've eaten at far nicer, far better restaurants for that amount of money. I would not recommend this place.
- Omakase = Oh wow!CgwilsonVIPDined on 7/23/2014We had the Chef's tasting it was truly outstanding. If you want a special meal let them make the decisions for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gussied up and not worth the $HermesDined on 7/23/2014Sushi with all sorts of 'stuff' on top; sometimes impossible to taste the fish or rice - absurd. And certainly not worth the over the top pricing. Keep it simple and go elsewhere.......
- DeliciousDisgustedVIPDined on 7/22/2014Gari never disappoints. This is the best of the pre-theater options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive sushiTravelJunkieVIPDined on 7/22/2014This is a favorite lunch and pre-theater spot since we work nearby and there is a deficit of good restaurants in the area. Sushi of Gari never disappoints. If you're looking for traditional sushi, this might not be the best choice for you. If you appreciate a creative take on raw fish, served with a variety of scrumptious toppings, you'll love this place. Don't miss the mille-feuilles cake for dessert. There's a good selection of sake to complement the fish. Service is always terrific and the room is attractive. A real surprise and treat among the touristy and mediocre places on Restaurant Row. The original east side location is more cramped but the food is of equal quality.Special Features:
- grandmaluVIPDined on 7/19/2014Terrific food and wonderful service. Great for pre-theater dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OmakaseCoolclayolaDined on 7/18/2014Dos personas.. optamos por la sugerencia del Chef, el omakase. No saben decirte cuanto puede costar, depende de lo que comas.. no recuerdo exactamente pero creo que fueron 5 pases de 4 piezas cada uno Luego pedimos dos postres y 4 cervezas. En fin, la comida de calidad con interesante mezcla de sabores ..el servicio correcto pero la cuenta en mi opinion mas alta de lo esperado.. $373.00 incluido 15% propina Lo mas probable es que vuelva pero sin "menu sorpresa"..Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Great sushi and outstanding service. The appetizer special of soft shell crab was delicious.Special Features:
- As usual outstanding foodaldodefrancoDined on 7/17/2014The only place in NYC were I feel to be in Japan! Always great after at least 20 times I have been it's always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Great food for an appropriate price. I would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always love this place!hyunDined on 7/16/2014i love omakase! the best sushi i have ever had! it is a bit expensive but you wont feel that way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseDianaVIPDined on 7/12/2014It has a small menu but everything is good quality. The best service!! I will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HUGE disappointmentJimmyNVIPDined on 7/1/2014Over rated. Over priced. Terribly rude service and good that was just ok.
- Great Food, Nice PlacelvillanuevaDined on 6/30/2014The place was very nice, very well decorated. The food was simply amazing! For any sushi lover this is a must! For those who don't eat sushi the menu may be a little limited but the food was amazing! The staff is very welcoming with traditional Japanese greetings, and very friendly! A must!Special Features:
- Overpriced...OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/25/2014Had high expectations abt this restaurant, so opted for the omakase (tasting) menu, which started with a crab tempura that was too oily. The sushi was good but far from being exceptional, especially taking in account the price.