Sushi of Gari 46
347 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
SushiPrice: $50 and over
Sushi of Gari 46
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sushiofgari.com/
- Phone: (212) 957-0046
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:15pm
Monday: 5:30pm - 10:45pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:15pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:15pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masashi Aoki
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please inquire for details.
A word from Sushi of Gari 46
For a decade owner and chef Gari Sugio has run a sushi restaurant that is innovative in the way it serves sushi with both cold and warm ingredients, offering more than 130 varieties. Sushi of Gari 46 focuses primarily on serving Gari’s “Signature Omakase” Sushi dinner which shows off his expertise with marinated and spiced raw and slightly cooked ingredients, in addition to a menu of traditional Japanese dishes. The sake selection, by Gari Sugio, is one of the best in town along with a limited wine selection of fine wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Sushi of Gari 46 - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Sushi of Gari 46 reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)special occasion (38)neighborhood gem (36)hot spot (16)great for lunch (15)romantic (10)good for groups (9)late-night find (8)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- some of nyc's best sushi!fwangDined on 11/20/2014i highly recommend the omekashi - it is one of the best in nyc for freshness, flavors, creativity, textures, and presentation! i have never had some of these combination of ingredients in sushi before and it was most satisfying in every way! this was my 5th time to this location and best one yet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanthedinerVIPDined on 11/15/2014they don't offer dessert after the kitchen closes. never experienced this at a restaurant, usually they offer something after they stop cooking dinner. service was average, some of the sushi was great (the spicy tuna) and some was average (yellow tail w/ scallions). Also, I asked for my noodles (which were just average btw) to take home and they forgot to give them to me!! I would not be returning. Maybe I will still try their sister restaurants ONLY if i'm in the neighborhood, if not, there are PLENTY of better places to have good quality Japanese food.
- awesome as usualctowner1VIPDined on 11/14/2014every bite was excellent - highly recommend - best sushi ever. Why go anywhere else?I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good restaurant, but nothing specialEmilyDined on 11/12/2014Came here with friends after seeing that it was a Michelin Bib Gourmand recommendation. It was a busy weekday evening. The restaurant, while small, was cozy. Unfortunately the male server felt stressed, and this affected the service and the experience. When asked for menu recommendations, he spoke quickly, and seemed impatient when we asked him to repeat what he said. This was noticed by all. For me, it obviously made enough impact that I would look elsewhere once I have another sushi craving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Sushi of Gari 46 Once AgainTexastouristDined on 11/5/2014Food was interesting and very good. This is our second time to dine at Sushi of Gari 46, and we were not disappointed. Gyoza, Tempura and Sushi were excellent. Wait staff was very attentive. Would recommend this restaurant to friends or acquaintances as a great place for Sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative SushiTravelJunkieVIPDined on 10/31/2014Sushi of Gari specializes in sushi and sashimi with a twist, delicious, inventive toppings, from luscious roasted tomato topping rich silky salmon to jalapeno atop snapper. The fish is always fresh and tender and the preparations add a new dimension. If you're a purist you can skip the extras though we highly recommend the Chef's Omakase. Although I can usually find my favorites, there are always new delights. This is one of our favorites for lunch or dinner. There's a good choice of sake and other drinks and service is unfailingly efficient and personable. Despite its location, this is not a tourist trap, rather an oasis of refinement in the culinary desert of Restaurant Row.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome sushictowner1VIPDined on 10/31/2014every bite was superb! Variety of tastes arranged perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBetteDined on 10/29/2014We ordered the Omakase lunch. It was uninspired. The quality of the dish was mediocre and the unusual condiments did not enhance the flavor of the fish. We will never go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/24/2014ok for pre-theater but not as good as it once was; sushi is meh
- Best sushi in the citySok50Dined on 10/23/2014Best and very unique sushi in the city, which you can't easily taste even in Japan. I love their creativity. Commenting this as a japanese born and raised in japan. It's pricey and we can only go for special occasion but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic. AmazingMayafromchDined on 10/22/2014If you want to experience what real sushi is, this is it! Never disappoints, simply amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushiSushifeastDined on 10/16/2014It is simply the best place to have sushi. The chef is creative and you can go there many times and always be surprised by the different ways they can serve sushi.Special Features:
- Awesome LunchJPeatsDined on 10/14/2014I had the $50 omakase lunch. Worth every penny. Creative but simple. A+ sushi. I highly reccomend it if you want to take a guest for a special experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014It is the best japanese restaurant in NYC. It is a bit expensive but it is definitely with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok for pre-theaterBrunchloverVIPDined on 10/1/2014but not anywhere near as good as the upper east location. i got the vibe that they didn't like us as soon as we said we didn't want omakase and didn't want the special.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef selectionRicardoDined on 9/26/2014The food on the menu is good but the Chef selection is awsome. It is very expensive but it is worth every pennySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough SeatingTravelMan1998Dined on 9/22/2014I was travelling for work and made a dinner reservation for myself. I was asked to sit at the sushi bar, which I was happy to do. I had to sit on the end and I constantly had staff coming over and asking me to move closer to the people beside me so they could have more room to get to the Sushi chefs. Poor placements of seating, and felt cramped the entire time.Special Features:
- Great sushi as usualNycloverVIPDined on 9/21/2014I am a Japanese and I know so many sushi places in Japan. I can tell you how special Sushi of Gari is. The chefs there are innovative, and the service one of the best in New York. Their sushi can beat some of sushi bars considered best in Tokyo simply for its uniqueness. I love it at Gari.Special Features:
- Terrific Non-TraditionalNwahNwahDined on 9/17/2014Go with hunger and an open mind. Omakase was wonderful. Everything was good. Most pieces were excellent. A few were sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Animated Japanese dinner!bobsasDined on 9/10/2014They receive guests with a loud "welcome" in Japanese, said by all waitresses, with happiness and quick movements, that you have the sensation that all thing spins around you. The plates are all excellent with an artistic presentation that enriches booth view and taste. Enjoy it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great omekaseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/7/2014Great food, decent service, iffy crowd. Would go again for the food but prob skip the omekase due to price. But food was memorable and worth it. Crowd sitting next to us were unpleasant and rude to the servers. They ended up calling the manager to their table to complain which made the experience less than spectacular for us. Keep in mind, it's a small restaurant and crowdedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Night SushiCathyLSGVIPDined on 9/6/2014My friend and I were coming from the shows at New York Fashion Week and needed to have a late dinner. We were thrilled to find this restaurant on Open Table, with an open table!! The sushi was fresh and the best I have ever eaten in New York; and I am in NY twice a year for fashion week, so I eat a lot of sushi! We also enjoyed a delicious fruit and mochi dessert which was to-die-for! I can't wait to go back in February when we return for fashion week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omakase!amandaVIPDined on 9/5/2014What a great experience! We went the omakase route and enjoyed the variety + surprise. Everything was extremely fresh and the service was phenomenal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Sushi/sashimi was excellent! I would certainly go back againSpecial Features:
- MerwinMerwinDined on 9/4/2014Great saki selection -- and the food to go with it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I live in Tokyo .....AmericanfromTokyoDined on 8/31/2014and when I come to the US rarely eat sushi as most restaurants simply do not source fresh fish here. Sushi of Gari was one of the few places I would go. However, this visit, even this restaurant had "fishy" tasting product and not the light/clean taste of fresh fish you get in Japan. But, it is the best that you will likely get NYC.Special Features:
- Just what we wantedKevBDined on 8/31/2014Outstanding food. Was worried from reading other reviews that the service and amenity was going to be lacking, but far from it. Formal and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok Sushi with some attitudeFoodie2Dined on 8/27/2014Sushi was good, but not memorable. The service and their attitude were NOT as it should be, for an upscale-wanna-be restaurant. The portion was rather small size for the price you pay, even considering a Japanese sushi/sashimi dish. The only positive thing about this dinner was the company of my friends whom I haven't seen for a while.Special Features:
- De gustibus non est disputandumDarpaveVIPDined on 8/26/2014I find that I prefer my sushi without sauces. I want to taste the fish and perhaps a shiso leaf and salt, but not a creamy sauce no matter how tasty. The service was great and they were extremely accommodating, seating us a half hour earlier than our reservation. Nice sake and wine list, we had a very nice Sauvignon Blanc. We ordered omakase and it was all tasty enough and the sashimi items were very good, but the nigiri nod oysters were masked by sauces. For that kind of dough, I prefer tasting clean, fresh subtle, unadulterated favors. I didn't expect it to be a good value and was not disappointed in that regard. Not bad, just different from what I'd hoped for the price. De gustibus...
- Great foodMichyDined on 8/26/2014Sushi was delicious and fresh. Our daughter took the last piece or sushi roll although she claimed she was food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 starchris83Dined on 8/22/2014Omakase at the bar...simply stunning ..congratulationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OmakaseSarioDined on 8/18/2014We were in four and we all took the 12 pieces omakase. It was so good that we aked for 2 more pieces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing quality!vtsuiVIPDined on 8/16/2014Heard great things about this restaurant and it didn't disappoint! The fish was so fresh. The uni melts in your mouth and, I dare say... best spicy tuna I have EVER had... The waiter we had wasn't the sharpest, but looked like we got a fluke because everyone else seemed on the ball. They also ran out of the hamachi and hamachi belly (we ate later in the evening). Otherwise, the food alone is worth it, so highly recommended. I think sitting at the sushi bar would be the best bet!Special Features:
- Always a Great ChoiceRGinBKDined on 8/16/2014I've been many times. The food is always excellent, as is the service. You'll want a reservation.Special Features:
- Awesome meal!ChrisVDined on 8/16/2014One of the best meals I've ever eaten in my life. The only problem I had was after some of the food came out, I had to move because they had a larger group coming in and didn't take it into account before we ordered and started eating. When you pay over $300 before tip, that shouldn't happen. Other than that, it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best sushitexasmamaVIPDined on 8/14/2014We went to Sushi of Gari before going to a show. We chose the sushi special which is 12 pieces of the best sushi. Each piece is a different type of fish and has a unique sauce. Each piece had a very distinct flavor and tasted wonderfully. We would definitely go back there again. We told them we had a show to see and they got us out right on time. We also had the plum wine with dinner and that too was great.
- Fantastic Sushi, Great ServicealiadineDined on 8/13/2014Brilliant small sushi spot, tucked away on 46th. A bit crowded and a bit noisy, but worth it for the excellent quality of fish and superior presentation. I'd prefer fewer tables and a bit more room, but it isn't so packed that it is uncomfortable. Could do with an expanded wine list, but all in all - worth the money and I've always been delighted.Special Features:
- Good (but pricey) pre-theater sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/8/2014We've eaten at Sushi of Gari 46 for pre- theater meals several times over the past few years, and usually ordered the omakase sushi. Our sense this time was that the omakase sushi is no longer as creative and carefully composed as it has been, and the better value is to order sushi al a carte.
- Brilliant!SeanNYVIPDined on 8/4/2014Excellent fish, fabulous preparation and brilliant service. There were many standouts; the surprise hit was the cod in miso served as sushi. Our server Yun was so professional: extremely knowledgeable and courteous. The whole experience was ideal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But Can Be Very GoodJOELJOANDined on 8/3/2014A number of locations in the city. I have been to the theater district location several times. First time was quite impressed. Went on a Sunday this last time and it was only "good." The longer sushi sits on ice the less firm it gets, and I am sensitive to texture. That was probably the reason it was not quite as good Sunday night. The same would be true at other sushi places in the city. I would recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 685 reviews are from the Sushi of Gari 46 reviews archive.