Sushi Nakazawa - Sushi Bar
23 Commerce St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $50 and over
Sushi Nakazawa - Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sushinakazawa.com/
- Phone: (212) 924-2212
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi
- Executive Chef: Daisuke Nakazawa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Sushi Nakazawa - Sushi Bar
Sushi Nakazawa serves the omakase of Chef Daisuke Nakazawa. Within the twenty-course meal lies Chef Nakazawa’s passion for sushi. With ingredients sourced both domestically and internationally, the chef crafts a very special tasting menu within the style of Edomae sushi. Chef Nakazawa is a strong believer in the food he serves representing the waters he is surrounded by, so only the best and freshest find its way to your plate.Continued
Both sushi bar seats and tables in our dining room are made available 30 calender days in advance.
Both sushi bar seats and tables in our dining room are made available 30 calender days in advance.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Sushi Nakazawa - Sushi Bar - Best Restaurants in Greenwich Village ›
Sushi Nakazawa - Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (65)special occasion (64)hot spot (33)romantic (21)neighborhood gem (14)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- The best Omakase I had so far. AMAZING!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014The Sushi was amazing! Nakazawa san is a great character. He made the experience that much better. Watching the precision of fine cuts from staff made the food very respectable. The Amazing Sake pairings definitely helped embody the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014Hands down, the best sushi I've ever eaten. Chef Nakazawa delivers an incredible sushi dining experience. He also has a great sense of humor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd timeteknoladDined on 11/9/2014Awesome experience again. This was my end time there in a couple of months. Both times i went on a weekend so nakazawa wasn't there... but his apprentices are more than capable. Fish is fresh and the menu was different than my first time there. Recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Last time we saw Nakazawa san was almost 5 years ago in the Ginza at Sukiyabashi Jiro. He was warm, friendly, welcoming, and paid an incredible amount of attention to detail. The meal at Sushi Nakazawa is the closest we have come in the past 5 years to recreating our experience at Sukiyabashi Jiro. Certainly, Nakazawa's bar provided more contemporary offerings that were not at all traditional - but the fish, execution, and the overall experience was no less special. The sushi bar is a must for those who are truly just focused on the fish. You will not regret this.Special Features:
- Perfect sushiFoodspotVIPDined on 11/5/2014Still continues to give the perfect sushi. Amazing how it maintains its regularity.Special Features:
- Great Sushi RestaurantLovenakasawaVIPDined on 11/2/2014Had the Omakase at the sushi bar. It is a great place. Sushi was great and the service was top notch.Special Features:
- Here is where NOT to sit...BrandonVIPDined on 11/2/2014The sushi was amazing. The presentation was amazing. The pot of boiling shrimp isn't. If you are seated at the sushi bar, here is where NOT to sit: By the pot of boiling water. Why? Well, when the chef lifts the pot cover, a whip of shrimpy smelling steam will come oozing out, and if it happens you are taking a bite out of your sushi then, it will completely destroy the wonderful taste of the sushi. Unfortunately, after telling the hostess this issue, nothing was done nor was any discount given on my final bill. So if you want to have the best experience at this place, kindly ask them to re-seat you if you see a pot nearby.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014I took my girlfriend here for her birthday dinner and the experience was amazing. The food was delicious and Chef Nakazawa was very entertaining. We got the truffle on uni and that was the highlight of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!noamtVIPDined on 10/27/2014The food is amazing! We set on the bar and chef Nakazawa prepared and served us the food. The tasting menu include 20~ sushi pieces and you can add to that sake poring. It was by far the best sushi I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb sushiSpotlightDined on 10/21/2014Me and my husband had dinner this week there and it were pure bliss. Outstanding sushi quality. It was well worth every penny.Special Features:
- wowbltzDined on 10/20/2014Definitely a peak sushi experience. Best I've had recently, taking into account Ko, Masa, Kuruma Zushi, Yasuda.Special Features:
- OutstandingDontotDined on 10/17/2014Food was amazing, service was great. It's definitely worth sitting at the sushi bar at least once to gain an appreciation for the magic behind it all!Special Features:
- Possibly the best meal I've hadShopgirlpennyDined on 10/11/2014It is so rare that you have such a memorable dining experience. I can maybe count them in one hand, and Sushi Nakazawa was one of them. My husband and I snagged a last minute open reservation. The restaurant is fairly small but immaculate. We sat at the bar and watched the sushi masters at work. What they do is art and you can see the extensive training at work. The chefs move quick and with ease. All the sushi was prepared with care. The flow of dinner was perfect--20 pieces delivered one by one from the sushi chef. We are leaving for Asia the following week--we have a reservation at Jiro's Roppongi restaurant and this was the perfect meal for me and got me excited to see what's in store for us in Japan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion sushi experiencewineoVIPDined on 10/7/2014For sushi lovers and foodies, make Sushi Nakazawa your next special occasion dinner. Chef Nakazawa puts on a great show at the sushi bar. The service is impeccable. Highly recommend the premium sake tasting - some were amaZing and really paired well with the fish. I will probably never go back (the price!) but I would want to. I will dream of sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite ExperienceconntyVIPDined on 10/7/2014We had a wonderful time celebrating my husband's birthday at Nakazawa. We sat at the sushi bar and were entertained and hosted by Chef Nakazawa all night. He was very personable and had a good sense of humor; very inviting. The food was obviously prepared with the utmost care and tasted amazing. A few modern twists, but mostly traditionally prepared omakase sushi. We would go everyday if it weren't for the hefty bill! Definitely go at least once for the entire experience. To us it was very worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousRed99VIPDined on 10/5/2014This place was incredible. The food was thoughtful, delicious, and just overall a wonderful sushi experience. We did the 7 sake pairing, which is a LOT of sake. My friend and I were definitely a bit tipsy at the end of the meal. The staff was knowledgeable, nice, and on top of every detail.Special Features:
- Jiro taught him wellOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014well after an affair with the documentary, i had to visit the apprentice. one word,,, exceptional. never knew a piece of raw fish could indulge such depth of flavors. best omakaze menu on the planet, other than the original jiro restuarant.Special Features:
- Excellent omakaseOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/26/2014The Omakase is excellent in terms of taste and experience. Nakazawa prepares each piece individually and artfully and provides often humorous explanations of his creations. Highly recommended for any sushi enthusiastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just mindblowingPatiplDined on 9/23/2014Nothing more to say. Everything was perfect. Unforgetable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!emilyVIPDined on 9/23/2014Chef nakazawa and all of the staff made the experience unforgetable! We really had a great time and enjoyed every bite!Special Features:
- JEC123Dined on 9/21/2014Went to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. The best omakase I've ever had. Amazing textures and flavors. Truly a fantastic meal! The sake pairing elevated the entire experience. The only thing that would have made it even better was if Chef Nakazawa had been there! (The restaurant did let us know beforehand that he would not be, which was greatly appreciated.) Overall, for a special occasion, this really hit the mark!Special Features:
- Good, Great, maybe not Memorable?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Amazing service and staff. While the sushi is prepared with great care and love, the omakase can be pricey. While there were some fish I had never tried (which was great and what I was hoping for), the majority of courses for the omakase were (interpretations of?) classics that you find at most sushi places. Very good sushi, but not sure how much I will remember the experience in a few days or weeks.Special Features:
- AmazingsonianatashaDined on 9/13/2014I have eaten at many fancy restaurants (it's a favorite thing to do), and this is one of the best meals I've had. We watched "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" before we went, and were then primed to enjoy the experience even more. I can't wait to go back one day.Special Features:
- Way overratedFoodoctorDined on 9/6/2014This is NOT even close to being one of the best Japanese/sushi restaurants in NYC. It's all a PR trap sushi is ok no more than that for $500 for 2 you would expect it to be superb - it's not !!! Sushi is not bad but that's not enough should be at least in line with best sushi places like Yasuda, Gari and Tanoshi. NOT WORTH IT - JIRO WOULD COMMIT HARAKIRI IF HE WOULD KNOW THIS IS COMPARED TO His TOKYO Restaurants' SUSHI AND QUALITY !!!
- Best. Meal. Ever.josephoDined on 9/5/2014This sushi is out of this world. Sit at the bar if you can and enjoy watching the master chefs make the most interesting fish you will ever eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeNodrakDined on 8/23/2014Simply the best omakase experience I have had in New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once Is EnoughKennyVIPDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I dined here for to celebrate her birthday. The $150 Kaiseki menu includes 21 pieces of Sushi. The fish quality is good, but not exceptional. The sushi pieces were small. The only other thing that's included is a very basic sorbet dessert. Nothing else. They charged us $12 for sparkling water even dough we didn't really get our own bottle. They just filled our glasses half way a few times. The $40 sake pairing for 6 tastings was reasonable although they seemed to be be a little stingy with the quantity they poured. Chef Nakazawa is a very friendly guy and the rest of the staff is very professional. We don't regret our dining experience here, however we don't see any reason to dine here again.Special Features:
- Great experienceMistaMilesDined on 8/22/2014One of the best sushi experiences in the city. Chef Nakazawa made the experience fun and interacted with all the guests at the sushi bar. The sake pairing was a great accompaniment and enhanced the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!!foodievickieVIPDined on 8/12/2014This is the ultimate sushi place! The best we have ever had. The sake pairing is also terrific. Not easy to get into but worth every dollar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014What a great meal. By far and away the best sushi in NYC. Everything i had was full of flavor. Wish i could afford to eat there once a week, yes it really is that good definitely worth wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fresh sushiMichelleDined on 7/26/2014Very attentive staff and delicious Perfect for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SublimeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014All of your senses are treated in a special way at Nakasawa. The warmth if the staff, the smoothness of the surroundings only enhance the best sushi I ever tasted. The patron gets the benefit of the bargain at Chef Nakasawa's Place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 34 reviews are from the Sushi Nakazawa - Sushi Bar reviews archive.
- Closest to Original Japanese SushiOlympusDined on 7/24/2014Having been a sushi fanatic and a partner who enjoys quality food, I knew this would be a must. Nakazawa, himself, had been very welcoming. Throughout the entire service, he would present each intricate piece of heaven upon our marble slabs. He would occasionally crack jokes which would deteriorate any kind of "too serious" environment as stated in Jiro's restaurant. The other chefs, other than preparing the dining rooms pieces, had communicated with us as well. The service from all the host/hostess were phenomenal. Constant check-ups and reassurances are short of an understatement. All in all, I would suggest this restaurant if you can't make it to japan and are eager to experience a fine sushi establishment. I will be returning !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatpinionEatpinionDined on 7/18/2014Not worth the hype. Sushi was "good" but nothing out of this world. Maybe 4 out of the 22 piece omakase sushi was "wow". Save your money!!!Special Features:
- Fantastic!WurdioDined on 7/17/2014Went here for the first time two nights ago after luckily scoring a reservation three days before! This place is all it's cracked up to be and lives up to the hype. Will you love every single piece you put in your mouth? I think that's impossible with a 20+ course meal, however you will love most of them! Chef Nakazawa creates a wonderfully fun environment with him and his crew on both sides of the bar. He clearly loves what he is doing as he takes you on an incredible culinary journey. Ours took us from Maine to North Carolina to California, up the coast to Seattle, to Alaska and across the pacific to the Bay of Japan and Hokaido. So many textures and flavors, easily some of the best pieces of sushi I've ever had...truly a memorable night!Special Features:
- my take on sushi nakazawa14thStreetFoodieDined on 7/17/2014I liked the actual sushi bar and was very comfortable sitting in the comfortable leather chairs. The premium sake pairing was amazing. It was also enjoyable to watch Nakazawa's soldiers behind the bar but, I must say, Sushi Nakazawa has nothing on my favorite sushi places which are Ushiwakamaru, 15 East and Sushi Dojo. Nakazawa pot some truffle something on this beautiful sea urchin so you couldn't even appreciate the taste of the sea urchin itself. He also put a torch on the giant clam which gave the same effect of not being able to appreciate that beautiful piece of giant clam. I also didn't like this assembly line leading up to Nakazawa shaping and delivering the sushi. I'll stick to sitting in front of Hideo, Masa and Sushi Dave.
- Absolutely fantastic.littlearwenDined on 7/1/2014Totally worth the $150+. Amazing sushi, perfect sake pairing, excellent service and it's totally worth getting a seat at the sushi bar to see chef Nakazawa in action and engage with him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great omakaseAwesomeDined on 7/1/2014Huge sake selection! The omakase is pretty good, probably the best in NYC. Still it's not as good or comparable with tokyo's best. The consistency of the rice and the presentation of the sushi could be way better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi ever!FoodspotVIPDined on 6/26/2014Although the last time I went in the dining room and the sushi was a little bit better than OK, I was pleasantly surprised that the level of quality at the sushi bar is far greater than the sushi served in the dining room. Really outstanding! And the chef is a very pleasant person. I was already trying to arrange another dinner for few weeks later at the sushi bar before I finished my dinner. But of course, they are fully booked. Although 2 seats next to me were empty that night... They need to improve in their phone service. Not easy to get them on the phone.Special Features:
- well worth the wait and moneyidreamofsushiDined on 6/22/2014Dining at Sushi Nakazawa is a humbling, out of this world experience. From the first to the last sushi served in this 20-course omakase, you are in for a treat as an explosion of colours, tastes and sensations greet and whisk you away into sushi heaven. Forget all the sushi that you've had and thought you love, you will be dreaming of sushi once the night is through. Be forewarned: it is incredibly difficult to secure a reservation, which you can make for multiples of two each time (30days in advance—online reservations given priority). You will not be able to choose what goes on your plate but rest be assured that the experience will be different and novel each time as only the freshest catch make it to their carefully curated menu.Special Features: