Sushi Nakazawa - Dining Room
23 Commerce Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $50 and over
Sushi Nakazawa - Dining Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sushinakazawa.com/
- Phone: (212) 924-2212
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday- Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi
- Executive Chef: Daisuke Nakazawa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Sushi Nakazawa - Dining Room
Sushi Nakazawa serves the omakase of Chef Daisuke Nakazawa. Within the twenty-course meal lies Chef Nakazawa’s passion for sushi. With ingredients sourced both domestically and internationally, the chef crafts a very special tasting menu within the style of Edomae sushi. Chef Nakazawa is a strong believer in the food he serves representing the waters he is surrounded by, so only the best and freshest find its way to your plate.Continued
Both sushi bar seats and tables in our dining room are made available 30 calender days in advance.
Both sushi bar seats and tables in our dining room are made available 30 calender days in advance.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Sushi Nakazawa - Dining Room - Best Restaurants in Greenwich Village ›
Sushi Nakazawa - Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (100)special occasion (77)hot spot (39)romantic (34)neighborhood gem (23)notable wine list (18)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- good experienceRoyanDined on 11/21/2014i went with my gf on a friday night, for the dining room. the sushi bar seats would have been nicer but they were all out the first second they became available. it's a pre-fixed menu by chef with 9 courses consisting of 20 pieces of sushi. food was great with some localization to amercian food style and some interesting innovation. would recommend the pairing sake as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Isles ReportMastroDined on 11/16/2014Extraordinary food with an excellent wine list to match. Delicate yet intense. A mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous taste Great Pricey0nicknameVIPDined on 11/16/2014From sashimi to rice to seasoning, everything is excellent. I enjoyed every single piece of sushi, and not feeling stuffed after finishing all. The final spotlight, egg custard, is not my favorite though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceerichDined on 11/14/2014Everything was top notch as usual - excellent menu, timely service, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing sushi!BelgyVIPDined on 11/10/2014The food is amazing!!! Just remember that it's fine dining sushi and remember it is nyc price. Still worth every pennySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing SushiIEatFood2Dined on 11/9/2014came here after watching Jiro documentary. Quality of sushi was fantastic. $120.00 for dining room per person. Good for special occasions or if you are balling out of control.Special Features:
- Disappointed!BGTraveler1106Dined on 11/8/2014I was caught up in the hype as the sushi was dry and unimaginative. $300 for the meal and we left totally dissatisfied and underwelmed. This was our last meal in NYC and should have gone to Sushi Yasuda, Brushstroke, or Nobu. Service was attentive; but, I would have gladly spent the money for a beter and more satisying experience. Best part of meal was lychee ice cream and exiting the restaurant.Special Features:
- An experience not to be missedMelbourneFoodieDined on 11/5/2014The sushi was sublime. They were room temperature, the sushi rice was cooked beautifully and the ingredients added to the sushi ie roe complimented the sushi and made it so tasty. I would have liked to understand the types of fish I was eating but it's not the server's fault. I'm not a New Yorker so don't know the local fish well. The sake pairing was reasonable and well selected. The service was impeccable. We dined at the tables, away from the sushi bar which meant we couldn't see the action but we still had a pleasant evening out. So much so that my friend and I are returning to dine at the sushi bar which was my original intention but I could not get a reservation at the sushi bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi I've ever eatenEricDined on 11/5/2014I've eaten a lot of sushi in my life, but nothing has ever come close to my experience here. Yes, it's expensive, but despite the cost it's an exceptional value. Each piece is carefully prepared to maximize the flavor profile of the fish, and the texture. It looks simple. It's anything but. Extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushi-sushimooseDined on 11/5/2014This is pure sushi, no sashimi or other alternatives. The sushi is very good, however, it lacks creativity. The sake and wines are outrageously priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi heavenMW8FoodDined on 11/3/2014The 20 piece omakase was amazing. My favorites were the toro and scallop. The tamago was excellent as well. The meal was a symphony of flavors in my mouth that accented each seafood well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Believe the hype...GodBlessVIPDined on 11/2/2014Sushi Nakazawa lives up to it. Incredible experience. If you can find a way to get a rez...make it.Special Features:
- Can I give more than 5 stars?Etb123Dined on 10/31/2014I was nervous heading into the restaurant, mainly due to the fact that I had read every bit of information I could find -and didn't want to be disappointed with such high expectations. The meal exceeded every aspect of what to expect, from the thoughtful preparation of each piece of seafood, to the excellent sake pairing (do yourself a favor and go for it). Chef Nakazawa even greeted us upon entering the space. Such a refreshing experience, we will surely be back soon.Special Features:
- Great Sushi and ServiceChuckDined on 10/31/2014The service at Sushi Nakazawa was very good. All staff members were very attentive and professional. Each piece of sushi was explained clearly with good details. The drink menu was excellent and allowed you the option to pair your meal with their sake offerings. Chef Daisuke Nakazawa is friendly and provides his customers with a memorable experience.Special Features:
- Not bad but nothing specialgreendxDined on 10/27/2014When it comes to sushi the only thing that's important to me is the taste. I was a bit disappointed that none of the sushi stood out as amazing. The only negative was using pepper on scallop, I don't get it and think that it totally killed the taste. As far as everything else uni was my favorite we chose to try it with white truffle shavings ($15 extra). I don't think that there is any need to add truffles to uni, in fact it might take away from the flavor eating it together but I wanted to try white truffles. As for the rest shrimp was very good, tamago was definitely unlike any tamago I've ever had and I enjoyed it, toro was really good but I've had better. Everything else was okay but not something that I'd crave to repeat.Special Features:
- service problemsrepivDined on 10/27/2014food was perfection. ruined by some awful service. there were only two servers, both women, who were impeccable. there were several men serving no grace if they were in a gang fight. the sommelier was the worst. we ordered by the glass and went through four glasses of sake before he finally served us something light, dry, crisp and clear as we had originally requested. he had an attitude and may know western wine but really struggled with sake. perhaps trying to enforce his tastes on our table. in the future if we return we will only sit at the bar. very disappointing dent in what would have otherwise been a wonderful experience. Live around the corner and had hoped to become a regular. Will probably return to Neta regularly instead.Special Features:
- Truly Great SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2014Every bite sized fish preparation has a distinct and memorable flavor. Unlike other Sushi restaurants, each piece at Nakazawa is prepared with the chef's version of the right amount of different seasonings, sauces brushed on and garnished with something complementing the fish flavors. Off-the-charts Sushi at an off-the-charts price! Wish I could afford to eat here more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was perfect.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Everything about this experience was perfect. In my opinion, best for romantic evenings or special occasions.Special Features:
- Good sushi, mediocre servicenycfoodieDined on 10/22/2014Sushi and the ambiance was great. Alot of effort went into each piece of sushi. Service was mediocre at best. We couldn't understand the server's heavy accented English. She forgot to add shaved truffle on to the uni for us. She also did not make it clear that the last course (choose any 2 sushi) was included as part of the omakase. As a result, we skipped out on the last course by accident. Chef Nakazawa was not present that night even though he should be there on weekdays. We were disappointed by alot of things.Special Features:
- Unusual Sushi!FlizzDined on 10/20/2014In most Sushi restaurants I've been to, and I've been to very many, the fare seems geared towards a Western palate. Sushi Nakazawa is different in that the taste profiles seem to be geared more to the Japanese palate. Some of the mouthfuls of food I had here included flavors that I have never tasted before. There were definitely revelations here that were unexpected and stimulating. The sushi is very serious and very full of flavor. Some of that flavor is not at all what I expected and not all was completely pleasant. This is a journey through various aspects of sushi that I believe are unavailable anywhere else in the US. The Uni for example, was as fresh as possible and without question the best I have ever had. Try it!Special Features:
- FoodgodessFoodieVIPDined on 10/17/2014Overall, food and service were great. It's a type of place you want to at least try once...but I don't think I would go out of my way again to dine there given the cost for amounts of food you received. Wine list also needs expansion to allow for more price points. I found the wine list to be very limited and skewed toward higher priced wines.Special Features:
- Are you a sushi aficionado?closetcriticVIPDined on 10/17/2014A very interesting experience, very austere. Service was excellent and each course of sushi (2 pieces per plate for a total of 20) was perfectly and eloquently described. But for my family of 4, the experience was a little flat. And although we are all sushi lovers, I don't think we could appreciate exactly what made this sushi so exceptional or expensive. Don't get me wrong--it was delicious, but about the same level of delicious as any other good sushi restaurant. Our bill was almost $1000 for 4 of us, including 1 bottle of wine and tip. I'm glad we did it (prompted by watching "Jiro Dreams of Sushi"), but I don't think I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/14/2014I think this was the best sushi meal I've ever had. Every piece of fish was outstanding. some pieces were brushed with different types of sauce that complimented the fish's taste and texture. Even the rice was cooked to perfection. Service was on point. Amazing!
- Better sushi experiences out thereOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/13/2014So I booked this place thinking I was going to have an amazing sushi experience. This was not the case. While the fish is fresh and tasted good, I think there are other places that provide this without the price. I have no problem paying for something that is worth it, but unfortunately I would say that this was not. If you are in Los Angeles, go to sushi park. They have done it more than right and leave you with an incredible experience.
- disappointedttt222Dined on 10/12/2014I heard so much about Sushi Nakazawa and finally got to try its dining room this weekend. However, it was a HUGE disappointment. Rice was undercooked/hard and fish selections were very poor. First i thought i did not have well trained taste buds but my company agreed that food was terrible. I was sobbing (inside) when I had to pay ~$350 for two and am sure I would not go back again. Nakazawa really needs to work on its food.
- Amazing in every wayImzadiDined on 10/11/2014Perfect is the only word that describes Sushi Nakazawa. If you like Sushi, this is a must-go-to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing sushiatb20Dined on 10/8/2014The menu is fixed. you sit down order your drink (or the sake pairing) and just wait for some of the tastiest sushi you've ever had to arrive 2-3 pieces at a time. My husband and I were in heaven. Given the prices it is definitely a special occasion place for us, but you get what you pay for... fantastic service and incredibly fresh, flavorful sushi.Special Features:
- Fantastic Sushi BarjoshkehnDined on 10/7/2014The omakase selection was fantastic and unknown to us, you can order à la carte afterwards! Sake pairings were wonderful and staff were very knowledgeable about the food. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Special ExperienceMidtownJimmiDined on 10/6/2014Really nice if you want a once-in-a-lifetime meal you'll remember and talk about for a long time!Special Features:
- Great SushiJaspDined on 10/6/2014Fresh sashimi, great food. Must try for those yet to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a one-time treatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/5/2014The sushi was fantastic and the service was good, but the overall experience/ambience was lacking.Special Features:
- FantasticyummieyummieDined on 10/5/2014I heard wonderful things about this restaurant from friends and was very much looking forward to finally going there. It definitely did not disappoint! The staff was very helpful, knowledgeable, and pleasant. They were able to help suggest pairings, explain all the food as well as the etiquette. The food, of course, was the best part. Every piece of sushi was fresh and delicious. The chef makes sure that all the details are perfect and all the flavors and textures of each piece are paired fantastically. I will definitely be coming back and highly recommend Sushi Nakazawa to everyone!Special Features:
- Amazing foodjimmyVIPDined on 10/3/20149 courses with 20 pieces overall. The food was simply amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi I have ever hadrstrVIPDined on 9/30/2014A truly remarkable experience. I have been waiting for someone to beat Yasuda, but it had not happened yet. It did with Sushi Nakazawa. Fantastic sushi showcasing amazing fish. The sea scallops are to die for.Special Features:
- Fantastic sushi!MarweDined on 9/30/2014Fantastic sushi experince! Excellent sushi and good service! Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi NakazawaKspevokVIPDined on 9/30/2014I thought the ambiance was slightly sterile feeling in the dining room area. I was expecting to have a modern feel with large red paintings to make it dramatic. Instead it was black and white with small red paintings that weren't very noticeable. The way the food game out was great and they explained each course to us. However there were about 2 items that we did not like (one being the sea urchin) and 4 items that were very underwhelming. I wish we had known more what we were in for. We probably would not have gone- especially with the price.Special Features:
- RichardVIPDined on 9/29/2014Sushi and service were excellent, but there are a handful of sushi restaurants who are at the same level. Dining room experience is a shade less riveting than sitting at the sushi bar.Special Features:
- Nakazawa who?FoodCriticDined on 9/29/2014If you plan to visit this restaurant: - sit at the sushi bar if you want to see the master in action. Contrary to what others have said, Nakazawa was preparing the sushi alongside his crew who were cutting and preparing each piece at the bar. - try to go on a day when the Japanese national TV station is filming (they were here all week) and Nakazawa did not disappoint. - call the restaurant for last minute reservations. Despite what you see online, there were several tables available during our seating. The flavors were good to great. The texture of almost every piece was OUTSTANDING. The selection was unique & somewhat experimental given Nakazawa's idea to include local fish. The pieces were small. The cuts were not beautiful. $$$$Special Features:
- Wish I was rich so i can eathere247worthitworthitDined on 9/23/2014I wish I had the money to eat here every week. It took me a month of saving just to get a taste for me and my girlfriend but it was the most amazing sushi experience I have ever had. I enjoyed every piece served each was ridiculously fresh and had its own taste, temperature, and texture. Stuff I usually hate like salmon ro was incredible, they used a soy fermentation to make it less fishy and it no longer tasted like fishing bait. I know a lot of people like urchin but I usually don't. The Uni here was incredible. Someone please send me money so I can go back.Special Features:
- Over Rated!!!SarahVIPDined on 9/19/2014Was really excited for th omakase here. It was over priced and over rated. We were really disappointed. Don't waste your money.Special Features: