Sushi Ko - Chevy Chase
5455 Wisconsin Ave.
Chevy Chase, MD 20815Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Sushi Ko - Chevy Chase
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sushikorestaurants.com/
- Phone: 3019611644x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday- Friday 12:00-3:00 Dinner Monday - Wednesday 5:30-10:00 ; Thursday and Friday 3:00 - 10:30 Saturday 12:00 -10:30 and Sunday 12:00 - 10:00.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Handry Tjan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have large sushi platters available
- Special Events: We have a private dining room and are able to accommodate for large events and buyouts.
A word from Sushi Ko - Chevy Chase
The Sushi Ko food philosophy is Cuisine of Subtraction. According to Creative Director Daisuke Utagawa, subtraction allows chefs to reveal the essence of each ingredient in it's most honest yet refined state. By subtly combining other ingredients, a taste sensation is created that demonstrates the complexity and beauty of nature for the eye and the palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sushi Ko - Chevy Chase reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (39)special occasion (27)great for lunch (21)kid-friendly (17)romantic (14)great for outdoor dining (14)good for groups (14)hot spot (11)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Upbeat atmosphere sets the toneLPG1VIPDined on 9/13/2014Even if every single dish is not absolute perfection, dining at Sushi Ko is nonetheless a happy experience. We particularly enjoy the veggie tempura and the tuna element rolls. Also a big plus: with a reservation, we're always seated immediately, and the table service is invariably attentive and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soft crabDCGourmetVIPDined on 9/12/2014The soft crab at Sushiko is one of the most phenomenal things I've eaten -- anywhere. That plus Chefs Handry and Piter's incredible sashimi (just ask them to feed you!) make this my favorite place to dine. Altogether wonderful.Special Features:
- ConfusionBexleyVIPDined on 9/11/2014Food was fine. Server was confused by the order and argued with us about when we said we wanted the various dishes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingly deliciousHappy2dineVIPDined on 8/31/2014We started going to the original Sushi Ko when it opened decades ago but stopped for many reasons. We recently tried the Chevy Chase Sushi Ko and fell in love with the place, and we now look forward to going every week. Everything we have ordered has been perfect. The fish is so fresh and delicious whether it is sushi, sashimi or ceviche everything has been amazing, and the hot dishes are always cooked perfectly whether it is more fish or a delicious piece of very satisfying meat. And if you have room, the deserts are all great as well. To top it off, they have a great wine selection and the staff is always very courteous and professional. Our new favorite restaurant and we have been to many! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- CupcakeWonkVIPDined on 8/24/2014Hard to find, but good sushi. Not worth the price.
- DisapointedCommanderTomDined on 8/19/2014I have been a big fan of Sushi Ko since I returned from Japan over thirty years ago. The Glover Park Sushi Ko was a gem. My favorite Japanese restaurant in DC has become too "hip" The staff were Americans who did not speak Japanese, the sushi is no longer the main attraction, but while still present - in smaller size - has been replaced with "hipster" fusion. All that said, they do have a great single malt collection.Special Features:
- Very GoodDCdinerDined on 8/18/2014Sushiko has an attractive interior as well as outdoor seating. The menu is varied and has a number of appealing choices. It was my first experience in this restaurant and I will certainly return.Special Features:
- cedbVIPDined on 8/17/2014I love the food here, but I've never been impressed with the service. Specifically, the service is friendly, but just rather inattentive. Every time I go, I've noticed that we have to flag down a waiter for more water, let alone any other beverages. I much prefer to take the food to go.
- Great sushi but a tad overpricedtmpm75Dined on 8/13/2014Sushi-ko has an amazing variety of sushi, with standouts including the softshell crab roll. Sashimi is top quality, and so is the mushroom salad. Some of the pricing deserves a look, though--if you spend $17-21 on an entree, as my partner did, you should at least get a bowl of rice (apparently rice costs extra and you have to ask--no one warns you that a grilled fish has no accompaniments). Similarly, the more pedestrian sushi choices are pricier than they should be, especially when the fish portion is smaller than in other places, and $12 for a can of Sapporo is over the top even for Chevy Chase. Decor is modern and attractive, and service is generally good.Special Features:
- Big price, small portionsMssushiVIPDined on 7/29/2014Disappointed with how small the rolls and sushi were; even more disappointed when the bill came: over $120 for two drinks, two appetizers, two sushi orders and two rolls.Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/29/2014Not up to the usual standard. The tuna tartare had no flavor or texture. The food was just not up to par.Special Features:
- One of our favorites for sushiLPG1VIPDined on 7/26/2014We rarely order edamame since so often it seems like they've been waiting forever in the steamer, and let's face it, edamame aren't exactly the sine qua non of a great Japanese meal. But it's worth mentioning that the almost-burn-your-fingers hot and perfectly salted edamame at our last Sushi-Ko meal were a real treat. Customers do notice when the little things are done right!! We also enjoyed the veggie tempura. The salmon mango rolls were good but not a standout because the component elements did not stand out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best SushiDCDinerVIPDined on 7/25/2014The sushi is always fresh, creatively prepared and delicious. Service is confusing--several different people wait on each table, and it can be slow. Only downside to otherwise great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great *cooked* seafood dishesDCGourmetVIPDined on 7/19/2014Our dining partners don't do sushi/sashimi, so we had some fabulous cooked dishes: (1) the all-time best soft crab I've ever had, (2) burikama, the yellowtail collar roasted with sea salt, and (3) roasted bronzino with cherry tomatoes. All absolutely outstanding! We love this place.Special Features:
- Horriable serviceAndyDined on 7/7/2014We reached on time at 7;30 and they seated us in the back room which was dark and dingy. The waiter promptly took out order at about 7:35 and till 8:30 we were waiting for our food. We kept asking the waiter and his reply was that its coming. Finally after complaining to the manager, as we could not wait any longer because we had kids with us the food suddenly started coming. She personally came and apologised. We even placed an order after 8;30 as another guest joined us and that food came within 5 minutes. It's not that they could not deliver, i guess they choose not to before. The manager was nice enough to gave a 20% discount on the bill, but the bad taste has been left.
- great sushi night outkp1977Dined on 7/5/2014Lucked out and were able to enjoy a our sshi in the outdoor seating. Service was excellent tonight, and the sushi was top quality as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3* for the food, 5* for the martiniLPG1VIPDined on 7/5/2014I recently introduced a friend to Sushi Ko at lunchtime. The tuna Element Rolls were incredible with each "element" distinct and in perfect harmony. Unfortunately, that was not the case last night when the same dish tasted only of less than pristinely fresh tuna. We're Sushi Ko regulars and do regularly enjoy our meals there but there are some inconsistencies that occasionally make for a less than first rate experience. That said, I raised the total food score on this review from three to four stars because of the absolutely perfect vodka martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as alwaysSushiFanDCDined on 7/5/2014Service was great. Food was amazing. The wagyu beef served with the hot rock is divine.Special Features:
- Happiness for sushi lovers!onthetown1Dined on 7/3/2014Our recent out-of-town guests love sushi and Sushi-Ko was dining choice for our group. Three adults, an 18, 13, and 9 year-old all enjoyed several courses and numerous dishes including dessert, of course! We'll bring other sushi lovers here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude Female Maitre DLisie610VIPDined on 7/2/2014We were seated at a table where there was a view of stacked kitchen items and what looked like a hamper. I asked if it was possible to be moved as there were other empty tables. The female Maitre D was very rude and told us we couldn't move! I was shocked particularly because Sushi Ko's service is usually wonderful. I insisted that we be moved and we were. The small lobster and scallop dish is wonderful as is the soft shell crab roll.
- Great MealanonymousDined on 6/28/2014We really enjoyed the meal. The only item that was not enjoyed was the ginger margarita.Special Features:
- Amazing sashimiDCGourmetVIPDined on 6/26/2014We had some fabulous sashimi, especially the smoked salmon & goat cheese tartare. It sounds like a weird combination, but it was sensational!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseBetsyVIPDined on 6/22/2014We had gone to Sushi Ko Chevy Chase shortly after it opened, and were disappointed relative to the Georgetown branch. But if our dinner Sunday evening was typical, then it's much improved. Everything we had was great, with the salmon ceviche, age tofu and ginger margarita both being standouts. Since it was a nice evening, we ate outside, which was very pleasant (even though it's by a parking lot). Eager to go back.Special Features:
- Great Food but Very LoudOutofTownerDined on 6/17/2014We had a great meal; service was great; and it was a perfect place to bring our kids with us. This is a very noisy restaurant so come prepared!Special Features:
- nofstfdnofstfdDined on 6/12/2014We were regular patrons of Sushi Ko in Glover Park for many years and it was a big favorite. It was a neighborhood restaurant with great Japanese food and a warm, friendly atmosphere - we got to know the sushi-chefs, waitresses etc. Unfortunately it closed, but we were looking forward to trying the Chevy Chase restaurant - same menu, same prices. Our first try was for lunch and we sat at the Sushi bar, and all OK, so we went back for dinner. Not so good. Awful noisy music (which the manager kindly turned off - kudos to her) and a splashy overbearing atmosphere. But most important, the food was just not up to the the old Sushi-ko standard, and at the relatively high prices it is just not worth the visit.
- Fabulous sashimiDCGourmetVIPDined on 6/7/2014We were four at dinner, and had quite a feast of sashimi, including Hamachi Crudo, which was outstanding. But the highlight was the soft crab kara-age. I could eat several of them, but then I wouldn't have room left for the sashimi!Special Features:
- The Burikama is amazingDCGourmetVIPDined on 5/28/2014Burikama -- roasted yellowtail collar! It's the seafood equivalent of ribs. Amazing stuff. We had 2 orders and wanted more, but we had to have sashimi. Tough choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sensory overloadFinedyneVIPDined on 5/28/2014We love to eat at Sushi Ko, in spite of the high noise level. Please, more sound absorption. The servers here wear perfume. I have always considered that a taboo for servers; aromas are part of the dining experience. Add to that an allergy and taste differences, and it becomes offensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genunine sushiPetersonNYDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I lived in Japan for several years which makes us tough critics of sushi. Most US sushi doesn't pass the test. Sushiko's tofu and sushi are authentic, fresh and genuine. There are few oddballs you can skip (potato chips in sushi? please!) but the standards are prepared wonderfully with great fresh ingredients. The tofu, as in Japan, is newly-made and perfect in texture and flavor. Be sure to have the spectacular Age Tofu (agedashi tofu).Special Features:
- Loved the Soft Crab Kara-age!DCGourmetVIPDined on 5/22/2014The kitchen turned out some amazing dishes like the soft crab and the eel tatsuta-age. Absolutely phenomenal. Highly recommended sashimi, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 796 reviews are from the Sushi Ko - Chevy Chase reviews archive.
- Solid SushiMarkVIPDined on 5/17/2014My wife is a big sushi fan and always comes away happy. We usually sit at the sushi bar to watch the pros work. Service was typically excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea-trout tartare!DCGourmetVIPDined on 5/16/2014Chef Handry's latest invention is his sea-trout tartare. We both had it, and loved it. Just stunning. I love this place!Special Features:
- Fabulous service (Alicia) !!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/16/2014From start to finish our experience as beyond expectation. Attentive staff, Alicia, our wait person guided our decisions with expert care. She adjusted the temperature of the restaurant & asked if we needed parking validation. Her recommendations were superb. Yellow tail with grapefruit. Attentive not overbearing. We'll be back. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnbelievableAshkoshVIPDined on 5/15/2014This was the best sushi I've had in years. Amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great sushiw46erDined on 5/14/2014where we go when we are in Bethesda. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:
- The best sushi in townEatingOutShouldBeFunVIPDined on 5/13/2014The food is so delicious I would love it no matter what, but the service makes it really special. Love it.Special Features:
- Element wonder!RevfreshDined on 5/12/2014They had a special sushi roll called the element. Oh my! It had tiny cubes of raw tuna on top that was like butter! Can't even describe the experience. It also had these dots of wasabi mayo lines up beside it on the long serving plate. I would have eaten it with all the sushi. So good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair to Middling; Won't Be BackBethesdaBBVIPDined on 5/11/2014The sushi was fine at best. None in DC is excellent, but this was fine in terms of DC standards (= not good or great). The tempura was overly oily and came with a bizarre ponzu-based dipping sauce. Ponzu is sweet and tart, and does not match the taste of fried food. Ponzu is for onabe (hot pot) of boiled vegetables and meats - and thus a really poor idea. Mediocre soup. Lots lacking in terms of preparation and presentation. Seriously doubt we'll return, I'm sorry to say.
- Great food/high noise levelh8noiseDined on 5/10/2014Good vegetarian options, tasty dishes. Very good service. Extremely noisy, hard to hold a conversation across the table. Our table was in the new addition to the restaurant.Special Features:
- Some of the Best Sushi in DCGeegVIPDined on 5/7/2014I'd eaten at Sushi-Ko in Glover Park several times but was underwhelmed both by the food and particularly the ambience. This Sushi-Ko is very nicely appointed and the sushi was very fresh. There were also a bunch of cool daily selections. It wasn't cheap, but I would return for sure. I'd have to say Sushi-Ko ranks as perhaps the best sushi I've had in DC (though to be fair, it isn't a great sushi town).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.