5041 West 117th Street
Leawood, KS 66211Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mysushihouse.com/
- Phone: 9136633333
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Party trays can be arranged for pick-up for any occasion. Special menus can be created for any event.
- Private Party Facilities: 3 completely private Tatami rooms seat 6 comfortably (Western seating style but no shoes).
- Private Party Contact: Manager 9136633333
A word from Sushi House
Award-winning design is obvious in this 60-seat restaurant; upon entering, the simple storefront transitions into a warm contemporary environment. The restaurant was awarded 3½ stars out of 4 by the Kansas City Star. A full bar & menu of teriyaki, grilled salmon, noodles, tempura, bento boxes & sushi is offered for lunch & dinner. If you are craving either fresh sushi with premium sake, or a great steak & cold beer, you won't be disappointed. Take-out offered daily. Three private rooms, each seating 6, are available for business or social events. The restaurant offers free WI-FI high-speed Internet access for those important business experiences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sushi House reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (10)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (6)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (4)romantic (2)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Excellent!lmg522Dined on 8/8/2014We loved the ambiance of this restaurant. It was great for date night. The menu had a good variety and was reasonably priced. For dessert, we got the fried ice cream, which was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kid-Friendly PlacemelissaturnerDined on 6/29/2014Took my two grade school children to Sushi House for a new experience. Called ahead to reserve a window tables & it made fun for my kids. Great kids menu & the adults really enjoyed the 4501 & Godzilla rolls the most and the Udon noodles were a close second.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally, some good sushi in KC!wineloverDined on 6/21/2014Coming from San Diego we love sushi. Unfortunately, it's been hard to find here in the midwest. When we first moved here we would go to RA Sushi. The food is OK but not the greatest and the service there stinks. They try too hard to have a snooty night club vibe instead of serving good food. We really missed authentic, fresh sushi. A girlfriend suggested Sushi House so my hubby and I tried it out on a date night. Amazing! I'm so bummed we didn't know about this place sooner. The sushi was fresh, creative and so delicious!! The place is small and casual, but reminded me a lot of what we are used to on the west coast. I'm still craving it and I know we will be back very soon!!Special Features:
- CarolynBDined on 6/21/2014ALWAYS happy with my meals at Sushi House!! The wait staff is also very friendly and attentive. This is my favorite sushi restaurant in KC.Special Features:
- MickeyDined on 5/23/2014Awesome food. we had Godzilla roll and Lobster Roll - both amazing. The Tempura is also great.Special Features:
- First timer..... great experienceSushiontheHalfShellDined on 5/10/2014Great food, very fresh and tasty...... not your normal run of the mill sushi. Excellent service, our waitress was very attentive and helpful in making our selections. The individual room was great for a more intimate dining experience - just what we wanted. Will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simple but nicesushisensationsDined on 5/9/2014It's a small restaurant but being in a private room makes things better, you can shut out the crowd and enjoy your food with whoever you are with. The food is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything is Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/8/2014I had heard good things about this restaurant and as I love sushi, I had to try it out. My sister and I made a reservation for dinner at 6:30. When we arrived, there were only a few people already there, but it had filled up completely by about 7:00pm. From the moment we were greeted to when we left, everything was amazing. The service was excellent! We had an appetizer and two of the makimono rolls and everything was delicious. We eat sushi about once a week locally and this is definitely the best overall restaurant we've been to. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 188 reviews are from the Sushi House reviews archive.
- Best Sushi in LeawoodanniesreviewDined on 5/1/2014Try the rolls with black rice. It's amazing! Only sushi joint I know that uses black rice. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FUN WITH FRIENDSC12345VIPDined on 4/18/2014The Sushi House is a local treat that offers everyone a good time. The restaurant is low key, not stuffy and all the staff wants is for everyone to have a great time.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the food!saraDined on 4/12/2014I went here for dinner before prom and it was pretty busy so I would say make reservations before hand or you might have to wait a while to get in. The place is on the smaller side so when you are seated you are usually pretty close to the people around you. The atmosphere is very friendly and our server was great at being there if we needed something and bring us drinks when we were out. I loved the food, I would say try the Godzilla rolls or the Love in Cancun rolls they taste amazing! Overall I enjoyed my time here a lot and I will be going back in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014My fiancee and I went to Sushi House for date night and had a wonderful time. Our server was patient, helpful, and attentive. The food and sake was delicious---the Tropical Roll and Unagi Roll were particularly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/28/2014We have been to Sushi House on several occasions and always found it very good - fresh fish, great rice, adequate service. Only our waitress was acceptable on our last visit. The sushi was terrible. The rice was terrible. We will not be going back.
- Excellent Sashimi/NigoriOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/22/2014Sashimi/Nigori was nicely prepared and all had exceptional taste. Nice to find a Sushi restaurant with excellent food and service.Special Features:
- 1st try at Open Table!nscherzDined on 3/8/2014If not for Open Table I would have never found this place. The Sushi House was very busy which is a good sign and Open Table found us a table 30 minutes out. My food was good but I'd probably order differently next time. I didn't know what I was ordering. I would commend !Special Features:
- abnormally slowjimjr21Dined on 3/5/2014Been here over a dozen times. Food was excellent as always. Service of wait staff was very very slow which has never been the case before. Chefs were as quick as always. I don't know what happened but as my wife and I were out on a date we just enjoyed the extra time. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a nice piece of fish...KalippischVIPDined on 2/28/2014Overall an enjoyable dining experience at a fair price. And for an impromptu dinner on a Saturday night it was great. The Sake Mussels are a stand out item on the menu. We tend to order mostly sashimi and Sushi House does a nice job in both quality of product and presentation. As noted in other reviews, compared to the typical midwest glutton-fest oriented restaurants Sushi House has a smaller footprint so guests are seated much closer to one another then typically experienced around here. The simple, almost spartan, decor helps offset what might otherwise be a confining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great private spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/18/2014We had a great business dinner in one of their "secluded tables." There was enough privacy for a confidential conversation, and the overall noise of the restaurant was perfect for what we needed. The food and service was great. Had a wonderful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spotty servicemajicVIPDined on 2/18/2014The rolls are great but it takes away from the experience when you have to hunt down your server to get a beverage or place your order. Very busy at lunchtime; make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific and consistentfoodiechick5Dined on 2/16/2014Sushi House is so consistent and always good. Fresh fish and good service. Love having a "neighborhood" sushi spot.Special Features:
- Sushi House is my absoluteOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/15/2014Sushi House is my absolute favorite place to get sushi!! It is, hands down, the best sushi in the entire Kansas City area. My husband and I visited Saturday night for Valentine's Day/our anniversary. The food was fantastic and our server was wonderful!! She did everything perfectly. She was very helpful and chose a nice sake flight for me, which I enjoyed. The spicy temptation roll is one of the best sushi rolls ever. It was a wonderful experience and we will be back soon!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, Not Bad.SushiLoversDined on 2/15/2014I really liked the food and the option to substitute Emporer brown rice- which is a much healthier sushi alternative. The servers were friendly, but seemed quite busy. The place was clean and modern, but a bit small and cramped. It is a nice place for yummy, easy-going lunch, but I wouldn't recommend it for a nice relaxing dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitValentineDined on 2/14/2014We visited Sushi House for Valentine's Day. We had a 9:00 reservation and didn't get seated until closer to 9:40. It is a very small place with tables very close to one another but nicely finished. There are three small private rooms in the front which would be nice to try. The service was very good and they were quite apologetic for the delay. We had edamame as an appetizer which was good but not great. The Miso soup was as expected. We tried three different rolls, the California roll, the Philly roll and the Spicy Temptation Roll. The first two were fine but the third was exceptional. Not really very spicy but very flavorful. We tried the fried ice cream for dessert which was fair. Overall nice experience in spite of the delay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Being from out of town andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Being from out of town and very knowledgeable on sushi, we were extremely pleasantly surprised. It was Valentines Day, and luckily we had made reservations as we were seated within 5 minutes and the restaurant was packed. Considering how packed the restaurant was, our service was excellent. The true test of a good sushi restaurant is the freshness of the seafood. Sushi House's was excellent and th portions were very good. If we come back through K.C. we will definitely stop again.Special Features:
- Fabulous for 4 girlsdgiuDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I took 4 little girls to dinner for valentine's day. I was a bit worried taking for girls under 9 but they gave us a private room and we had one of the best dinner dates ever. Thank you for the joys of the tradition of taking off shoes and making the girls feel special. I appreciate that tremendously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a bad place!!JdubinKCDined on 1/25/2014We enjoyed the sushi (I had the hamachi roll - spicy) and some nigiri. My wife had the unagi roll and a dragon roll both of which she liked. The star of the night was the appetizer though.... The shrimp dumplings were outstanding. Downside was it was loud and the seating is very tight. We felt like we were having dinner with strangers next to us.Special Features:
- Sushi House makes me happyAmyRCVIPDined on 1/20/2014Sushi House is my favorite sushi restaurant in the city (and believe me, I’ve tried a majority of them). Their fish seems fresher than anywhere else around. I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad meal here. Our standard order is the Sushi Deluxe, one Tropical Roll and one Crazy Lobster Roll. I recently started adding their homemade ginger ale to my order. Their prices are fair. The staff is friendly and helpful. The restaurant is clean and tidy. The food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had one of the private rooms,CathyVIPDined on 1/10/2014Had one of the private rooms, which was really fun for our group of 5. Great waiter. Would love to see the menu get a bit more "bold" in the selections offeredI would recommend this to a friend.
- incredible food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/3/2014Restaurant is small. Very loud during busy times. Recommend a reservation. Food is excellent! The rice covered ice cream is to die forI would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayLadybugDined on 1/2/2014I indicated our reservation was for my husband's birthday but our party of 5 was not seated in a room. Our waiter was overwhelmed forgetting silverware, water refills. No one responded to the question I asked in my open table reservation. Great sushi, agedashi tofu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun dining for a group!MissyDined on 12/26/2013We certainly enjoyed our dinner for 6 in a private room at the Sushi House. Make sure you ask for seating here if you have a large group. Great fun and you don't disturb your neighbors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great serviceSewathomeDined on 11/23/2013Our group of five had the pleasure of sitting in one of the private rooms, which was nice because the noise level was much lower when the door to the room was shut. We tried a variety of different items on the menu and all were good. Service was excellent. Don't skip dessert -- we tried all four of the choices and liked them all, especially the fried ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi House is a little gem.AlanVIPDined on 11/16/2013Found this place on Open Table and didn't even know it was in Town Center. Very small dining area, but comfortable enough. They have a sushi bar with maybe a half dozen seats in front of it. I got shrimp tempura sushi and shrimp/veggie tempura entree. Both were excellent. Service was cordial and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as always,GirlsnightoutDined on 10/5/2013We always love the amazing flavor created by the chefs. Service is awesome and the atmosphere is very comfortable. Our favorite place to enjoy conversation and share all the rolls!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2013We have been enjoying the sashimi and sushi at Sushi House for many years. We have never had a disappointing meal. The wait staff is super.Special Features:
- Consistently Delicious and FreshOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2013Sushi House remains the best sushi restaurant in the KC area. The food is always fantastic. The Crazy Lobster and Tropical rolls are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than expectedletseatDined on 6/23/2013I dined at the sushi house with some family members for my birthday. The waiter was somewhat attentive but didn't really impress me all that much. The food was good but I believe slightly over priced. I have been to the sushi house on multiple occasions and this time it felt a little lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/17/2013We visit Sushi House 15 or 20 times per year. This time they missed the mark. We had a reservation at 7:15, arrived at 7:05, and were seated immediately. Then our order was taken for drinks, then food. By now It is 7:15, and the wait begins. At 8:20 one of our group of 4 has something to eat, then more waiting. At 8:20 another meal is delivered, then finally at 8:35 the remainder of our food arrived. This is all forgivable as this track record with us is excellent, but the lack of eye contact or communication from the manager (who know us by sight, and maybe by name) is not. We feel ignored and un important. Still a bit angry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to this restaurantC12345VIPDined on 6/2/2013We have been to this restaurant many times but on this occasion we met our close friends with their new born. They provided us with a private room and our time was so special. Thank you, Pat & IrwinSpecial Features:
- Ma Bo Dofu and the Crazy Lobster!GMNelsonDined on 5/11/2013My wife and I recently discovered a dish called Ma Bo Dofu. It is now my wife's favorite meal and Sushi House does it right. It's really an appetizer on the menu so for $10, I can make my wife's day! Sushi House is rather proud of their sushi and, compared to some other sushi spots we frequent, is generally more expensive. If you're in the mood for basic nigiri sushi just to get your fix, you might want to go somewhere else. BUT...the rolls at Sushi House are fantabulous! Try the Crazy Lobster Roll...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.