3600 W. 32nd Ave
Denver, CO 80211Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sushihai.com/
- Phone: 7208550888x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Thursday 11:30am - 9:30pm;
Friday and Saturday 11:30am to 10:30pm
Hai Bar Below: Wednesday 7pm to 11:30pm
Friday and Saturday 6pm to 1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Room that seats eight to twelve.
- Private Party Contact: 720-855-0888 x
- Entertainment: Hai Bar Below:
Karaoke on Wednesday nights from 7pm to 11:30pm
DJ from 8pm to 1am on Fridays and Saturday nights
Late night Happy Hour menu from 11pm to midnight in Hai Bar
A word from Sushi Hai
Like the Highland neighborhood we call home, Sushi Hai is refined, with a funky bite to its elegance. Modern with a Japanese flair, and filled with exceptional art created in the neighborhood, the restaurant can seat up to 175 people - and every table feels special. We also offer three private Tatami Rooms, which accommodates eight to twelve diners in traditional Japanese floor-seating.Continued
We at Sushi Hai welcome you to come indulge your senses.
We at Sushi Hai welcome you to come indulge your senses.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sushi Hai reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)fit for foodies (27)special occasion (26)romantic (22)hot spot (16)good for groups (12)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- As always a great dinner!mrslewisDined on 8/1/2014We are never disappointed at Sushi Hai! If you are trying appetizers go for the fish tacos, they are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, may not be date worthyEatingismyforteDined on 7/30/2014If you are looking for a romantic date night this place may be a little crowded and loud if you go at a normal dinner time. The tables for two downstairs are a foot and a half from each other and so there is no privacy in your conversations, plus the noise level is high. Besides that the sushi is amazing and I have always had good service. For dating I would suggest going to an early or late dinner to avoid the crowdSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kicking it up a knotch!PhilioradoVIPDined on 7/29/2014What a Great experience to eat here!! I love the neighborhood & the atmosphere as well. I have been to sushi Hai many times over the last 5 years!! I used to go all the time and after a couple times of below avg service in the downstairs bar/club area and & then one of my fav Chief's left, I took a break from eating here. I decided to give them another chance recently, & have been back twice in the last month!! I mainly eat up stairs now as the service and quality of food seem more on point up there. I'm Glad they have kicked it up a notch as I will surely be back soon again!! I love there Shashimi plates and the Carpaccio style option, it's a must if you like Raw Flavorful Fish!!!Special Features:
- Diana2Dined on 7/29/2014I really liked the ambience of this place. The only bad thing about the night was the server. Our waitress was rude and NEVER checked in on our table. We had to track her down to order, get more water, get the check...everything. As we were walking out, a different waiter greeted us and offered a bag for our leftovers- wish he was our waiter! I think the menu is a bit overpriced, but the food was yummy.Special Features:
- YummyTEERDined on 7/28/2014The Vegas roll and #Nine with strawberry are the best things on the sushi menu!Special Features:
- Good Food and Friendly StaffpetrigDined on 7/22/2014It's a little dark downstairs, and the microscopic print on the menu is hard to read, but the food and service were great.Special Features:
- Nearly-Happy HourCassieDined on 7/20/2014Sushi Hai has a great happy hour but my boyfriend and I have also been in for dinner. The downstairs bar has a fun and casual atmosphere and the bartenders give GREAT service. Most recently we went for Sunday happy hour. We were sat upstairs about 15 feet from the door and it felt like we were closer to the next table than we were to each other. We had to specifically request a happy hour menu from the hostess, but it was worth it because select apps and rolls are half off. The food was delicious and the server was attentive and pleasant. Next time (because we will definitely be back!) we'll just request a table downstairs or farther from the door.Special Features:
- Very nice atmosphere and good sushiusuallygoodVIPDined on 7/18/2014We have been here a couple times and both were great experiences. Dining downstairs is the way to go for a more romantic evening. The surrounding neighborhood is nice.Special Features:
- excellent food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014The food here is amazing, the service is great, overall a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/20/2014There are better sushi resturants in the Denver area. Seriously disappointed we spent so much on such tasteful sushiSpecial Features:
- Tasty overallhapachicaDined on 6/15/2014The sushi (try the # NINE with strawberries...sounds weird, but amazing!!) is pretty good, but we definitely ate more moneywise than we intended. We ended up with a private room, where we could hear the music playing perfectly...which was a strange reggae mix that didn't seem to fit a sushi restaurant. Our server was friendly and nice, and frequently brought us new bottles of water and made some good suggestions. Overall, a good experience.Special Features:
- Good place!MWooDined on 6/14/2014We had never eaten in the Highlands, and needed a place for our parents' 40th Anniversary dinner. There were only 6 of us, and a coworker recommended Sushi Hai. We were surprised to find there was a street fair going on, so parking was a little bit of an issue since there is only on-street in the Highlands. Other than that, the food was great and the price reasonable!Special Features:
- One of my Fav SpotsLala13Dined on 6/13/2014Love this spot, great food, great energy! Located in a precious neighborhood in Denver, perfect for date nights or entertaining guests! Great price point for delicious and unique sushi! I make a point to go to Denver just to eat here! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Good, but not great fresh sushi.foodisfunDined on 5/22/2014The atmosphere was pretty cool, similar to what you might expect from a sushi bar / sushi restaurant. The waitress was nice and checked in on us a few times. The Edamame was pretty good, no complaints. The waitress told us the calamari from the menu was better than the special so we ordered that. The sauce in the dish it was served in had a bit of a kick to it and was very good. The calamari itself was a little dry and had a sort of dehydrated or un-frozen kind of way about it. It wasn't bad though. The rolls were all good and tasted fresh, but seemed to be missing a bit of something. It could have just been me and liking a little something, a little kick or a sauce on them but they just seemed to be OK.Special Features:
- Sushi HaiDaveDined on 5/22/2014We loved the sushi & sashimi. Attentive service, too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/14/2014Really like the neighborhood and ambience of the restaurant. The sushi was good, but not great, for the price. Would definitely recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorless sushiTeacer16Dined on 5/9/2014Didn't love how I was there during happy hour but couldn't take advantage of the happy hour prices due to my living social deal. Also, for how expensive the rolls are they had little to no flavor.
- Horrible service ruins it all...xboxremoteDined on 5/3/2014My wife and I went here for the second time and had just awful service. The last time we went, everything was great, including the service, so we expected more. However, when we're paying that much for food, we expect good service anywhere. The biggest example of how awful it was is that she didn't even read our sushi order back to us (which then resulted in one of our plates coming out wrong). I have never seen that happen at a sushi restaurant.
- Horrible ServiceSushiL0versVIPDined on 5/2/2014The valet parking person vanished and nowhere to be found - after prepaying for free parking. The service was horrible and we were really good customers. The food was so so.
- The following 300 reviews are from the Sushi Hai reviews archive.
- Relatively UnimpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/27/2014Being in the highlands I would expect something more from a great location and trendy atmosphere. Instead all i got was a overpriced fish that wasn't tasty, a waitress that seemed a bit too tense, and some edamame that had uncooked garlic "tossed" on it. Unappetizing, unappealing, unimpressed.
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014The sushi was outstanding and innovative...best I've had in Denver. The service was Vertu good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- An earful! Noisiest sushi!!LionheartlevDined on 4/18/2014The sashimi I had was B+ quality - better than some in Denver, but not the best. The waiter was fine. BUT, this is THE noisiest restaurant of ANY kind I've been to in years. At a small table, I could hardly hear my date even when leaning more than half way across the table. This was true even after the peak crowd thinned some. There is no functioning acoustic treatment to absorb sound. I will not return again.
- Sushi HaiericsnightoutDined on 4/18/2014Great Food!! I had the Lamb Chops and that was easily the best Lamb that I have had in a very long time. I ranked our service poor however. Our waiter may have been new and that would have been ok. I would never hold that against anyone, but his lack of effort is what earned him a poor ranking. Even if he was new to this restaurant, I am sure he would of had to have had previous experience. I would go back here in a heartbeat and will. It was a great place to take a date and has a cool atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Sushi in DenverLMillard12Dined on 4/18/2014Whether it's your first time trying sushi or you are a seasoned connoisseur, Sushi Hai has something for everyone.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2014Made reservation for Sushi Hai through Open Table. Reservation was moved from Sushi Hai to Hai Bar without notice. Hai Bar dinner seating is in a dark space with little ambiance. Server was friendly, but was soon overwhelmed with a large group. We ordered an appetizer which was never served. We notified the server that it was not served. Regardless, it appeared on our bill. Sushi and rolls are always good, but servings are small compared to other similarly priced establishments. We drove past 5 great sushi bars to get to Sushi Hai. Probably won't do that again.
- Great food, ok servicebirthdaygirlDined on 4/12/2014We brought my sushi-loving 13-year old daughter here for her birthday dinner with the rest of our family. The food was terrific, but our service was just so-so. Our waiter wasn't very friendly. For a celebration dinner, receiving a poor reception from the staff definitely put a damper on our fun. Left feeling disappointed by the experience.Special Features:
- Good sushi, good serviceEatnSleepDined on 4/10/2014The downstairs is a bit dark, but could be romantic if the occasion was right. Prices were what you'd expect for sushi. Started with edamame (steamed and sea salted) then moved into the rolls with the obligatory spider roll, spicy tuna roll, tidal wave (this had a sesame wrap outside--very, very good), and finally an octopus roll which unfortunately lacked in flavor what it possessed in chewiness. Compared to Sonada's, I would prefer their sushi, but the waiter here was pretty awesome and the deep fried cheesecake was a slice of pulmonary-destroying deliciousness. The green tea and mango sorbet was also excellent. I would go back for sure. There's also a valet here as well as Highland parking can be a challenge.Special Features:
- Fun timesJoeLDined on 3/21/2014Decided to try after a recommendation from a coworker and it was great. The place doesn't seem that big from the outside and when you first enter it but don't be fooled there are a lot more tables in the back and downstairs. We decided to try a little bit of everything starting with a couple of appetizers, followed by some sushi and finally sharing a main dish. It was all great, the food, the service and the ambience.Special Features:
- Delicious sushiAKE1VIPDined on 3/7/2014The best sushi I have in Denver so far. You have to get the surf and turf roll!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy in the barOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014We had a reservation at sushi hai, but they were going to seat us right by the front door when it was freezing outside. Not wanting a draft everytime the door opened, we asked if we could be seated further back in the restaurant. We ended up sitting in a big booth in the hai bar, which was great, however it got a little noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and friendly patronsJanitaBDined on 2/28/2014We dined for my birthday last week, and it was our first time at Sushi Hai. We ordered off the regular menu. My husband had the Teriyaki Chicken, and said it was the best he'd ever had. It was a large piece of chicken, accompanied by a pineapple rice browned patty and vegetables. Amazing sauce. We shared the Caesar salad, which was good. I had sashimi. The tuna was dark red, fresh, and very tender. The best part of the meal was the people sitting around us - they were so friendly, recommending saki's and sharing from their bottle! When Kevin learned that it was my birthday, he spoke to our waiter, and they brought a piece of chocolate torte, which was delicious. We will definitely be back! Large and informative Saki selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't go backBooooDined on 2/28/2014I'm glad I tried it once but I won't return. Pricey for the sub-par sushi and we didn't get greeted for about 10mins after sitting down. The atmosphere is nice; good drink list.Special Features:
- Great sushi every timemevittDined on 2/27/2014I've had the pleasure of visiting Sushi Hai on many occasions and each time is a good or better than the last. My most recent was for my birthday where the restaurant gave my party the choice of a private room or table. That says a lot about the restaurant to make people feel special. In the past, I've enjoyed Sushi Sasa, Sonodas, Sushi Han in Denver. Each of these places has let me down later on - Sushi Sasa with the complete change of staff. Sushi Hai continues to outshine. Highly recommend this sushi restaurant. I did not go to Karaoke nor the DJ nor the bar downstairs, so I won't comment on those.Special Features:
- WTFRucoboDined on 2/14/2014Valentines/anniversary dinner and they sat us next to the DJ. I was very dissapointed especially when I noted that it was an anniversary dinner when I made the reservations online. There were no napkins and when we asked we were given several small cocktail napkins. I was very dissapointed.Special Features:
- This is my families favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014This is my families favorite restaurat, wonderful food and a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocre sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014Premium pricing for mediocre sushi that we waited 45 minutes to get. Sushi wasn't made with sushi rice. Pro tip: if you see "fish tacos" on the menu and you want good sushi, go somewhere else.
- Great Dinner at Sushi HaiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014I highly recommend going here for anyone looking to have a group out for good fun and a good atmosphere.Special Features:
- You can talk hereBenjDined on 2/6/2014Perhaps it was just the hour we were there (6 pm), but we could talk without shouting. Very comfortable noise level. And the food was fine.Special Features:
- Great local sushiAwesomeVIPDined on 1/28/2014Every time I eat here the sushi is great. Service is scetchy. We were greeted warmly then our server was slow to wait on us & seemed annoyed. She took our order then we had a $12 mysterious charge. When we inquired she said it was because it took the sushi chefs a long time to prepare what we (2) of us ordered (cucumber wrapped rolls instead of rice) so they charged us an extra $3 per roll. Many sushi restaurants have these low carb rolls on the menu with no up charge. I just wish the waitress mentioned this before we ordered or even when she handed us the bill. Last time we ate here they charged us extra for tuna tetaki. They said it cost more to sear the tuna sashimi. This seemed crazy but at least the waiter told us before we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, helpful serviceDaveVIPDined on 1/25/2014We had calamari to start, and it was excellent. All of the sushi, sashimi and rolls we tried were great. Our server was excellent and very helpful.Special Features: