330 West 58th Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sushidamo.com/
- Phone: 212-707-8609
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Formal Attire
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sushi Damo
Located in the heart of midtown west, right cross the Time Warner Center and Columbus Circle, Sushi Damo offers diners exceptional Japanese cuisine in a sleek atmosphere with warm, friendly service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sushi Damo reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (14)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (10)romantic (10)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014the place is just another place on a street nothing special. the food is ok though but not for the price.
- Great choicenuvystaDined on 8/17/2014Menu is very long, but overall all is really good. Katsu (Pork/chicken) are great. So are special rolls( Dinosaur...)Special Features:
- MediocreJackMayhofferDined on 7/12/2014Average sushi. Nothing spectacular. Rolls were rather bland.
- excellent sushiexcessiveeaterDined on 7/9/2014a little overpriced, but so delicious and worth it for a special occasion. delicious lemon drop drinks and sushi is incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi DamoMarshaVIPDined on 7/4/2014Our appetizer and salad were bland but the sushi was delicious. Service was excellent and the restaurant was very comfortable.Special Features:
- Food great - restaurant a letdownAdinerVIPDined on 6/28/2014This WAS one of our favorites: great location; good food; good ambience. Unfortunately on our last visit, we saw that the tip was included on our check (two diner). When asked, the hotel claims that they do this "selectively" because they get a lot of tourists. So because we were dressed casual, and Asian, we were labeled tourists (despite being NYC residents). Obvious that service staff were also trying to rush our meal e.g. they cleared my husband's plate and wiped down his half of the table while I was still eating. Huge letdown. We will never go back.Special Features:
- Fast and yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/20/2014Service started quick, wanted order fast. once order taken and food came (which also came very quick) the waitress could have come by just a little more often but overall everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Nothing to write home about. Simple sushi but not quite worth the price. I'd say it's a quick fix for your sushi craving.
- Great daily sushi lunchMoDelDined on 6/20/2014Very good quality and affordable place for sushi at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- idni2Dined on 6/12/2014First class food beautifully served. An early dinner was excellent and came quickly. Quiet was a pleasure but the restaurant was too, too cold, especially with the A/C blasting down one's neck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too ExpensivedinerrrDined on 6/8/2014Unless your planning a business meeting and want to impress clients or something you can get just as good sushi cheaper elsewhere.Special Features:
- Sushi Damo LunchNycDining88Dined on 5/16/2014I have been to Sushi Damo many times for dinner, but this was my first time for lunch. Everything was just as nice. Food was great and servers were attentive. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not bad but not greatgroovyfoodieDined on 5/7/2014decent food, food came out quickly, interesting dishes. but no authentic Japanese tea/kettle and menu is Westernized...Special Features:
- The following 159 reviews are from the Sushi Damo reviews archive.
- EhDaniBVIPDined on 3/24/2014Very small bento box for lunch special. Service seemed annoyed. Across from our office but I'll go out of my way for something else.
- Very nice selectionJWilDined on 3/22/2014This restaurant offered a varied selection of sushi, as well as tasty drinks. Good for a relaxed date night. Getting the attention of wait staff will require some volume.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemOoanaDined on 3/21/2014I want to say 'dont' tell anyone about Sushi Damo" because I've loved every experience I've had there...and I hope to never not be able to find myself a seat at the sushi bar. Sushi Damo is perfect for working locals who enjoy excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for pre-theatergiffDined on 3/20/2014Wonderful for pre-theater or concert meal. Service was excellent and food was satisfying but servings were not large enough to put you to sleep!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful!SushiloverVIPDined on 3/15/2014Went in with a group of 5 people, the food came out at different times so half the table was finished when the others didn't even receive their ordered items. Water glasses were often empty, we were ignored by the staff. Automatic 20 percent for a group of 5 people then the waiter asked us to leave more tip for him when we signed the credit card slip. Food is okay, not bad but not as good as blue ribbon next door.
- Excellent experience!BeauVIPDined on 3/14/2014Sushi Damo was a great find on 58th St. The sushi and service were impeccable. Highly recommend this restaurant for a great atmosphere as well. Will definitely return when I am back in the area.Special Features:
- My favorite sushi place ever!MmeBVIPDined on 3/8/2014Every time I come to New York I dine at Sushi Damo, and it's been very consistent in the quality of food, their "Damo creations" maki are chef-d'oeuvres every one of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicioussushiloverDined on 3/3/2014The food, service, and ambiance was great. I just thought some items on the menu were over priced ie-the $8 side saladSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bring a flash lightSaxmanVIPDined on 2/22/2014The menu is great for selecting small plates and sampling. I usually don't order "special drinks" but the Damotini is really good and not fruity. In the evening the lighting is very dark and almost impossible to read even with the light from your cell phone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Good FoodGeraldineVIPDined on 2/20/2014The food was great but the service was just ok. It seemed like our waiter did not have a personality and that if she smiled her face would crack.Special Features:
- My Main Sushi PlacearniebDined on 2/8/2014Great fresh sushi. Friendly atmosphere. Excellent service. What more could you ask for?Special Features:
- Great sushi. Great service.MikeDined on 1/25/2014My wife and I stayed on the Upper West Side at the Empire Hotel and this was one of closest sushi restaurants that was within walking distance. We went on a Saturday night and had a reservation at 830 and were seated right away. The sushi was very good and atmosphere was quiet and romantic. Overall, definetly worth trying if you are on the upper west side and are looking for a sushi restaurant.Special Features:
- Tasty!HkGalDined on 1/4/2014I've been to Damo several times for lunch and liked it. This time I went for dinner with 2 friends and we all had a great time. We all thought the sushi was very good and loved their cocktails. Very attentive service! I had so much fun I forgot my handbag and our server ran outside to return it to me. I will definitely keep coming back here.Special Features:
- Great spot for sure!FelipeRDined on 12/31/2013Food and service was great during New Years evening. Toro sushi is my favorite alongside the New York Roll. Great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Forgettable MealBonApetit787VIPDined on 12/25/2013Although the decor is attractive and the service decent, the food is just average for the price-- you are paying to have the privilege of dining by columbus circle-- but by walking a few blocks up to the upper west side there are some more interesting options-- its not bad but its not great
- The chocolate souffle is amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/22/2013The chocolate souffle is amazing so save room for dessert.Special Features:
- Lousy Service and average foodFatRat250VIPDined on 12/21/2013Took a party of 9 - 30 minutes to get my first soda. Had to constantly ask for service. Waiter took half the tables food order then disappeared. I guess they figure they are going to whack you with an included 20% gratuity for a party of nine, so why bother doing their job. Requested food a few times before finaly getting it. If my party was smaller I would have left. Couldn't even get the check wiothout asking 5 - YES 5 - times. Forget this place, the food was no better than any other mainstream sushi joint, and the service was way worse.
- Too Fast!!MommycatVIPDined on 12/13/2013Although the food was great and the staff were polite and attentive the whole experience was just too rushed.After the appetizers were removed there was barely an opportunity to swallow the last mouthful before the entree was presented.Our table was reserved for 8pm and was ready bang on time. We had drinks and two courses, paid the check and were back out on he street by 8.30pm!! Ridiculous !I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent date nightJigeDined on 12/6/2013My husband and I had an excellent date night at this restauurant. I suggest the seafood yaki udon and the tuna avocado roll. My husband loved the salmon avocado roll and the chicken teriyaki with a delightful salad. Afterwards we watched Hunger Games Catching Fire, which we also suggest you watch. Happy Dining and Happy Hunger Games!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- franz at Sushi DamojoanieVIPDined on 11/30/2013Incredible as always.. Service and food perfect!!!Special Features:
- Decent Food, Rude ServiceJPGLLLDined on 11/23/2013The ambiance at Sushi Damo is very nice, decor was simple but elegant. The miso soup was excellent. I ordered the spicy crab roll and split the blackened tuna roll with a friend. The rolls were decent, I was not particularly impressed with either. My other friend ordered the Chicken Yaki Udon, which was delicious. We also ordered a bottle of the Sauvignon Blanc wine for the table, which was good. What really ruined the experience for me was what happened at the end of the meal. Our reservation was for 7:30 but we arrived around 7pm. Around 7:45 our waiter asked us if we could finish up as they had another reservation. SO rude! We were still working on the bottle of wine and technically only 15 minutes into our reservation.Special Features:
- franz reservationjoanieVIPDined on 11/22/2013fantastic!!! always great and try the soft shell crab!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi, freshshellsamVIPDined on 11/21/2013Very good restaurant. A large menu with many items. It was hard to figure out what to eat. I had the crab salad very fresh and the tornado roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushi damojoanieVIPDined on 11/17/2013fantastic...try the soft shell crab appetizer. always consistently great!!!! Worth eating at a few times a week!!!Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceKainnaVIPDined on 10/23/2013The food was excellent & the service superb. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again a good timeslowride1023Dined on 10/16/2013I've been there probably 4 times and I'm never disappointed. The service is very good and while the food can be pricey, there are plenty of options otherwise. A very solid place to dine and a fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!MmeBVIPDined on 10/12/2013I loved Suchi Damo! The best Japanese restaurant I haev been to outside of Japan. We went for a pre-theater dinner and enjoyed every moment of it.... Great selection of soups (not limited to miso and ramen), "Damo Creations" were exceptionally tasty and inventive. Will definitely return there when I'm next time in NYC.Special Features: