Sushi Damo - Rockville
36G Maryland Ave
Rockville, MD 20850Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Sushi Damo - Rockville
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://sushidamo.com/
- Phone: 3013408010
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Takashi Okamura
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
A word from Sushi Damo - Rockville
Sushi Damo offers the ultimate in cutting-edge Japanese cuisine. Executive Chef Takashi Okamura, presents the finest selection of sushi, sashimi, specialty rolls, and entrees. Sushi Damo's modern-zen décor makes an ideal location to indulge in Okamura's delectable creations. Hope to see you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sushi Damo - Rockville reviews from OpenTable diners
- Had udon and husband had sushiMelissaVIPDined on 6/23/2012Had udon and husband had sushi box. Food was good but not great. Service was excellent. Ambiance was relaxing and nice.
- A Very Good Sushi RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2012We have been Sushi Damo several times and it is always a wonderful dinner and restaurant. The quality of the fish is very high, which is what you want from a sushi restaurant. The sushi & sashimi are served cold (not room temperature), another good sign. Many creative and unique rolls. Good selection of sake too, reasonably priced and higher end in 300 ml and 700 ml bottles. This last time, we went with our 6 & 8 year old children who liked the restaurant, the cushy oversized chairs, and . . .the seaweed salad of all things.Special Features:
- Great sushi! Was actuallyAndrewjbVIPDined on 6/6/2012Great sushi! Was actually pretty dead on Wednesday night though I have been here on the weekend and it was a mad house.Special Features:
- Our favorite sushi place inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012Our favorite sushi place in the DC Metro Area - worth the drive. Very fresh fish, creative rolls, good atmosphere.
- This was a "different" choiceGoldylocksDined on 5/13/2012This was a "different" choice for my late mother's day brunch but perfect for us because we lived in Japan. The sushi is excellent, and we are very picky. I enjoyed the non-traditional rolls and the saki flight.Special Features:
- tasty and fresh sushi. NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012tasty and fresh sushi. Nice area and excellent service.Special Features:
- The sushi is always deliciousWhyanameVIPDined on 5/4/2012The sushi is always delicious and a great combination of flavors. I love the outdoor seating but it'd be better if there was less smoking-- not a good way to enjoy sushi. The prices are also a little crazy for the area, but overall a delicious meal!Special Features:
- Best option outside of the city.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2012The sushi at Sushi Damo is good but not great. You will not find better sushi in a small market like Rockville but there is nothing at Sushi Damo that will prevent real sushi lovers from traveling to a larger market like D.C. or Baltimore for better options. Don't think that getting slightly above average food means paying moderate prices either. With tip I spent $91 on a dinner for two (no alcohol, generous tip, two desserts). This would not give me pause in D.C. or Baltimore but it seemed a bit much for the Maryland suburbs. The locals in Rockville have the money to spend though, so I suppose the prices are understandable. The space is also nice and probably draws a high rental rate, which the owners of the restaurant have to recoup.Special Features:
- Modern, pleasant, fresh tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/29/2012A modern styled Japanese restaurant, both tables, booth bench seating as well as lounge comfee chair seating. The house drinks where tastey and mixed well, the sushi tasted fresh and stood out from the frozen junk you see in super markets. Seating was fast, and the waiter was quick to take care of us and have a good conversation. the non-sushi food was fantastic, the calamari was flavorful, not too greasy and was actual tentacles instead of just wedge cuts from a larger organism. Even the soy sauce provided seemed to have a more refined flavor. Refined meaning they spent time on it, not factory made junk. The noise and layout of the restaurant was great, not too loud, not awkwardly quiet. Food & experience was worth the money.Special Features:
- sandysEatingCanadaDined on 4/22/2012Sushi was outstanding. We had family visiting from Milan and they loved it. This is our fourth time backSpecial Features:
- Very fresh sushi with a wideOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2012Very fresh sushi with a wide selection of interesting rolls. Service was very attentive (our water glasses were never empty, maybe never even half empty) though food can take a little while to come out. A great special occasion restaurant.Special Features:
- Again, way better than theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2012Again, way better than the previous fave I had - Sushi Ko, where the clientele is predominantly non-Asians. 3 visits later, I continue to like Sushi Damo, for its outstanding service and its food.Special Features:
- The restaurant fails to useRWoodBVIPDined on 3/29/2012The restaurant fails to use very good ingredients effectively. The staff learns to use spices. The wine list is very limited. The staff, while young, is very responsive.
- Lovely dinner in a warm, hospitableJDC1Dined on 3/24/2012Lovely dinner in a warm, hospitable environment. Attentive, knowledgeable service without being pesky. The notable wine list refers to saki which was varied and somewhat pricy. Worth the money though. The sushi was expertly prepared and delicious.Special Features:
- As usual the food very goodnancyjowDined on 3/23/2012As usual the food very good and consistent in quality. We ate outside this evening and the service was equal to eating inside. The sidewalks of Rockville are very noisy with traffic and pedestrians. Would definitely eat there again for the food.Special Features:
- Very bad nigth outGuillaumeVIPDined on 3/23/2012Try to seat next to a lounge supposed to seat 4 people and a groupe of 12 occupy the place Do not eat much but drink like crazy and swear Non stop, when you with your wife for a nigth out Payed $192 and was not able to talk to with each over I do not think I will try again try restaurant should decide Between being a restaurant or a bar To bad the sushi where okSpecial Features:
- Dined 3/10/12OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012This was my third time dining at Sushi Damo and I believe I can say that each experience was better than the previous. I had reservations for 9pm but got there a little early attempting to catch a movie around the same time. Needless to say that didn't workours as planned. I decided to try to get regular seating and the staff wasdap generous that they took my reservations. l tend to stick to items that I'm more familiar with but this time the waitress suggested that I try something new and personally recommended. I tried the sweet potato tempura roll....OMG, it was AMAZING!!! Outside of the fresh and wonderfully crafted sushi, I enjoy the live yet intimate atmosphere. I will continue to drive the hour trip to Sushi Damo, it's soo worthSpecial Features:
- The sushi is outstanding,OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/9/2012The sushi is outstanding, the service excellent. Best California rolls I've ever had; amazing spicy tuna rolls. My husband's tempura was excellent as well. The ony downside is that we went Friday night and it was quite noisy -- hard to hear everyone at our table speak.Special Features:
- Great rolls at chic shushi rest.Foodie4FunVIPDined on 3/2/2012We really like this restaurant for sushi, although they offer a variety of Japanese cuisine, we find ourselves coming back for the rolls time and time again. The food is consistently delicious, and they offer a nice variety of specialty rolls. The ambiance has an Asian urban chic feel that we also find appealing. We recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Service extremely slow, thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2012Service extremely slow, though it didn't seem to be that busy. food terrific.Special Features:
- I highly recommend the TunaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/19/2012I highly recommend the Tuna Arugula - all I can say is classice, Twilight Roll - don't know why, but it tastes like you're eating meat, not to mention it's a round-robin of flavor in your mouth, and the standard Spider Roll - which came with a monster size crab. I've never seen such a large crab in a Spider Roll.
- Made a reservation and wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2012Made a reservation and was seated within about 5-10 min. Wait staff was attentive and knowledgeable. Food was really good and the flavors were wonderful. Definitely upscale sushi dining. There was one bad thing, and that is the wait for the food was long. It took a while to get our appetizers and then another long while to get our entrees. Aside from the wait for food, everything was great. Just like any other sushi place, it is not very filling so order plenty extras or you will still be hungry.Special Features:
- Took a long time for appetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Took a long time for appetizer to show up. Waitress was nice about it, but it was still an almost 30 minute wait on cooked veggies. Sushi was good (shiitake mushroom blossom roll) but I think overpriced.Special Features:
- Always have an awesome timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Always have an awesome time at Sushi Damo and the food is amazing. Service is phenomenal and we love the ambiance.Special Features:
- If you like sushi, than thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012If you like sushi, than this is definitely the place to go...Special Features:
- I am a serious sushi fun andDavidDined on 2/14/2012I am a serious sushi fun and seek out top sushi restaurants wherever I travel. Sushi Damo is excellent on a national scale and truly outstanding compared to the other choices in the greater Rockville area. They have a number of interesting sushi appetizers or special rolls that are worth the (unusually high) price. The usual sushi choices are excellent. The service tends to be very good, except on special occasions (Valentine's Day, etc) when they are 100% full. Hard to complain about that... I sometimes bring my daughters for lunch here and the staff is very helpful with the kids - but my kids do eat sushi. I am not sure if they offer any non-sushi choices, and I would be a little disappointed if they did.Special Features:
- Great DC area Japanese restaurant.IH07VIPDined on 2/4/2012Great DC area Japanese restaurant. Food is consistently very good and sushi always fresh.Special Features:
- The food and atmosphere wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/3/2012The food and atmosphere was wonderful; however, the service was horrible and it was so bad that I even left the waitress and note stating the reason why I was not leaving her any tip.
- The sushi was amazing. EspeciallyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/28/2012The sushi was amazing. Especially the Rising Sun and Mango Sensation rolls. Yum! But the drinks were expensive. If you plan on drinking a few drinks or more, plan on spending a lot. $200 for two people...yikes.Special Features:
- Good sushi but expensive.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/27/2012Good sushi but expensive. Service was lacking as it was so crowded.
- Service was much much betterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/25/2012Service was much much better this time around, most likely because we went on a week night rather than a weekend.Special Features:
- This visit was our first here.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/13/2012This visit was our first here. Although we had a reservation for two on a Friday evening, there was still a 20 minute wait. Loud & energetic so good for a group. Some of the speciality rolls did not seem so special, but the udon and the rest of the sushi was fresh and tasty. We plan to return on a different day of the week to see if it will be a different experience.Special Features:
- What a great evening we had.MaddieVIPDined on 1/13/2012What a great evening we had. We had great food and great service. What else do you need.Special Features:
- The food was great, althoughOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/5/2012The food was great, although i had 2 little kids with me (who love sushi, udon, and everything on the menu) and my waiter was obviously annoyed by them-- so NOT kid friendly on this occasion.
- Best Sushi by FarOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/1/2012Better than expected. The freshest sushi I've had since moving up here. The service was on point. We had a fantastic waiter who was kind and very professional. I highly recommend this place. We plan on visiting again to try out the other special sushi dishes.Special Features:
- MEMORABLE end to 2011yank23Dined on 12/31/2011Based on so-so reviews we were not sure what to expect, considering it was New Year's- Happy to report we had very enjoyable/even paced dinner. Wait staff was MORE THAN out OUTSTANDING. Food was very good & presentation was excellent- Planning return visit w/others--Special Features:
- this was the first time IWinoVIPDined on 12/29/2011this was the first time I went for lunch... I had been there several times for dinner. however this time we had to wait a very long time to get our meals..the waitress kept saying it was coming out soon, they had to fix up the odds and ends. We were very disappointed because then we needed to rush to get back to the office, will try again- but hope the service gets better. It was even crowded...Special Features:
- More imagination neededHalGDined on 12/28/2011We had lunch so cannot comment on the dinner scene. Food was good but did not find the lunch "boxes" particularly interesting or (worse) diverse. And (in the boxes) there were more potato morsels than sushi which kind of precludes their name.Special Features:
- Great sushi spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/22/2011Great atmosphere and service. Sushi got rave reviews. The chicken teri however, was a little bland and on the verge of 'convention chicken' quality. Recommend karage chicken instead.
- What is the Japanese wordTwalabantuVIPDined on 12/16/2011What is the Japanese word for chutzpah? Our party of 3 was very surprised to see that an 18% tip was automatically added to our bill. Then the bill came with an inviting space markedor "Tip"! This looks as though they fear their service isn't strong enough to earn a tip of that size even with just 3 in our group; well that is true. I do not recall seeing anything about the prix fix tip in the menu. Do you think, perhaps, they are betting that patrons having drinks or just focused on having a good time will fail to see they've already tipped? Seems likely to me. Until they change this policy, I won't be back.