Sushi by Chef Soon
1600 Maple Ave
Lisle, IL 60532Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Sushi by Chef Soon
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sushibychefsoon.com/
- Phone: 6305150033
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday 4:30pm - 10:00pm ; Closed on Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Soon Park
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sushi by Chef Soon is an excellent choice for great sushi at your event. For more information, please contact Chef Soon at (773)474-8888.
- Special Events: We are going to open on christmas day. Merry christmas, everyone!
A word from Sushi by Chef Soon
A contemporary sushi spot operated by Chef Soon with specialization in Japanese cuisine with over 17 years of experience in various upscale restaurants. Remember the unique and delicious sushi platters that you once enjoyed at Blu Coral Contemporary Sushi which was located at the Seven Bridges Mall? Well, the Head Chef of that place has now opened up his own venture close by. Head Chef Soon Park has enjoyed serving all his loyal customers that came to enjoy his unique but yet exquisite sushi that he prepared. Please come and visit him at the sushi bar located inside SeoCho Korean BBQ Restaurant in Maple Plaza. As an innovator of a new style Japanese food with unique blend of creative flair and passion for food, he will introduce you to a new level of sushi with great flavors and innovative presentation. On the extensive menu, Chef Soon features both contemporary and traditional sushi. Check out some of the chef soon's art work on facebook . Come inside and enjoy the freshest sushi..Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Sushi by Chef Soon - Best Restaurants in Lisle ›
Sushi by Chef Soon reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (14)great for lunch (6)special occasion (5)good for groups (4)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Always fresh unique rolls. Nothing really compares!Special Features:
- 10:00 PM Close means get out!LoddyToddyDined on 9/12/2014After reading the reviews, I was excited to take my wife to a Sushi place we hadn't tried before. We had reservations for 9:00 PM. I was flying in from O'Hare and was a little delayed. I called ahead and said that we would be 30 minutes late. The lady said that it was not a problem and that they would take us at 9:30 PM. When we arrived, we were shown right to our table. We promptly ordered and the food came out quickly. The sushi was average at best. The price was reasonable. But at 15 minutes after we received our food, the waitress brought us our check and explained that they closed at 10:00 PM. I paid the bill with a 20% tip. After she got her tip, we were asked to leave even though we still were eating it was 10:15 PM.
- Great Experience!ChristineFrancesVIPDined on 9/12/2014The food is fantastic, not your usual sushi bar. They definitely add their own flare to their food, but it works. I love the accents they add to their sushi pieces and the flavors. You don't even need soy sauce!Special Features:
- Consistency is keyKeepFeedingMeMoreDined on 8/23/2014Chef Soon consistently serves fresh, innovative food. The menu is large. Have I found things on the menu I won't order again...sure. But there are some things that I order almost every time, and the food and quality are consistently excellent. I always check the specials board as well for new combinations. Very happy such a gem is nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than OthersChiJVIPDined on 8/23/2014Being from the city where there are many more choices for Sushi, I've been surprised by the limited dining in the Western burbs. This sushi place is tucked in another restaurant in a strip mall so the location and ambience are less than snazzy. The sushi rolls are priced like city prices and not especially large. The individual pieces that were the chef's selections were very tasty. If you have a Sushi craving and you're in the area, it's fine (and better than Sushi House), but overall not a tremendous dining out experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi SoonCrystalBillDined on 7/25/2014The offerings were varied, interesting and all very tasty. The service was good (ask for Eddy) and the sake slated our thirsts! Reservation recommended as they were very busy on a Fri nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiMelDDined on 7/17/2014Very unique rolls- server was great! Very casual place, def didn't expect this from the looks of the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in west burbsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/12/2014The sushi is as good or better than most places in Chicago. The food, service and creativity are all outstanding. The ambience is ok, nothing special since it's hidden inside of a korean bbq. The wine list is limited, but if you go there for the food and service you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2014We've been here many times before and will continue to return. The food is always great and service is personal and attentive! We highly recommend Chef Soon for Sushi!Special Features:
- Amazing!jbaker23Dined on 6/21/2014Fantastic service and mind blowing sushi. You can't beat this place for sushi in the burbs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happydinerVIPDined on 6/7/2014small,spartan decor,very good food & service,a little expensive considering the total dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Best Sushisporty12Dined on 6/6/2014The food is freshly made in front of you. The service is fantastic. I am recognized and welcomed by the staff at each visit. Chef Soon creates and/or oversees the orders. It is a pleasure to dine at Sushi by Chef Soon.Special Features:
- Fresh+tasty+friendly=Regular CustmrDineRoundTheWorldVIPDined on 5/29/2014Kind of a cheesy location, but Soon gets some of the freshest fish I've had in the States. From the traditional sashimi to the imaginative rolls, he hits the spot. The sashimi prices may seem high for the area, but once you see and taste the high quality and freshness, its completely understandable. Small staff who is very friendly, particular once the know your name. Neighborhood and sushi gem-don't let Soon's Korean heritage turn you away-he's got it down! Try the Zuke Salmon. If this does not make you want to come back for more, well...Special Features:
- The following 125 reviews are from the Sushi by Chef Soon reviews archive.
- Good sushi in strip mallDwpLjpVIPDined on 5/9/2014Unique caring sushi creations but zero interior design kinda like a fast food place. Service was efficient but not particularly friendly. I'd go back for the food, but nothing else appealed to me.
- Not to be missed!GmanDined on 5/9/2014If you love sushi, this is the place for you. The food is beautifully crafted by the Chef and his team! More importantly, the seafood is fresh and delicious -all at the same time.Special Features:
- Worth the tripOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 4/26/2014My son's favorite food is sushi and we decided to try a new place. We found Sushi by Chef Soon on Open Table and what a treat! The waitress was so helpful in helping us decide. The food was amazing and delivered quicklySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in Chicago areaSGaleDined on 4/4/2014We've been eating at Soon's since he opened. He gathered quite the following in the years since then (rightfully so), due to the quality of his food and imaginative creations. At this point, going anywhere else just results in disappointment. Soon's isn't cheap (and good, healthy sushi probably won't - and shouldn't - be), but you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in the western suburbsWillyVIPDined on 3/14/2014The quality of the food prepared by Chef Soon and his staff is consistently off the charts. The fish is super fresh, and Chef Soon's nightly specials are unique and delicious. If you are looking for traditional sushi or sashimi, you won't be disappointed, but don't overlook his special rolls and other creations. He is doing "sushi fusion" with flavors that defy explanation. There are any number of sushi places in the burbs that are barely distinguishable. And there are a few who are trying to rip off some of Chef Soon's best ideas. This is the real dealSpecial Features:
- Fantastic sushiSGaleDined on 3/14/2014We've been eating here for years...occasionally, we stray. Not often, but it happens. A slick-looking chain will open a new sushi place, and we'll feel compelled to try it. We always walk out of the new place disappointed and feeling like we paid too much. The flavor just doesn't compare to Chef Soon's sushi. A spicy tuna roll with a dollop of hot sauce on top? Not at Chef Soon's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Despite the WaitDaniDined on 3/7/2014We had a large group ordering sushi. Our table was ready right away but it took about an hour to get our food. However, they did repeatedly apologize and gave us free miso soup. The food was great. The other times that I have been there, the wait has not been nearly as long.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi EverCinTimDined on 3/1/2014We have visited many Sushi restaurants in our lives all over the country. Chef Soon is by far the best sushi I have ever had. The Staff and Chef soon always remember us and are very friendly. Great food and Great Service.Special Features:
- Awesome Sushi!FoodBlogger1VIPDined on 2/15/2014I believe Chef Soon was one of the chefs at another place we used to frequent called Blu Coral. He is excellent and his staff do a nice job of putting the sushi together. It's some of the best I've had anywhere and will definitley come back! My only complaint - We were sitting at the sushi bar, and there was quite a cold breeze coming through, so it made for a bit of a chilly experience. We were able to move down a couple of seats, but could still feel the cold air. If they put a curtain or screen in front of that corridor where the cold air was coming from, that would probably help. Otherwise, a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Sushi! Great Service!KMF1711Dined on 2/14/2014Our waiter, Eddie was able to suggest us menu items an I was very happy with his suggestion. We also ordered a bottle of wine and he brought the ice bucket and wine wrapped in a linen napkin, it was very nice. Chef Soon's sushi was delicious and you can tell it was fresh, fresh, fresh! Good pricing too, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in the areaKTDLVIPDined on 1/16/2014You'd miss it if you didn't know if was there, but This place has the absolute best sushi in the area. Very pleasant service paired with a no-wrong-choice menu guarantees a great night out. The chef is always coming up with new menu choices which makes it really fun to go back in and see what's new. They have a repeat customer for life with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it doesn't better then this!!!Annc430Dined on 12/28/2013Sushi by Chef Soon is THE BEST!!!!! I heard of the restaurant on Chicago's Best and thought it looked interesting. But it's so much more! I've had sushi many places and this is by far the very best I've ever had! I've taken a few people here and have recommended it to many more and everyone is in agrees it is outstanding. Chef Soon is a sushi genius! And his staff is knowledgeable and friendly. Another thing I like is if you're not very familiar with sushi they can walk you right through. And every time I'm there you see people chatting from table to table asking "what is that? it looks great!". I've never been disappointed. I highly recommend Sushi by Chef Soon! And I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Fresh, fresh, tasty and fresh!DineRoundTheWorldVIPDined on 12/28/2013Kind of a cheesy location, but Soon gets some of the freshest fish I've had in the States. From the traditional sashimi to the imaginative rolls, he hits the spot. The sashimi prices may seem high for the area, but once you see and taste the high quality and freshness, its completely understandable. Small staff who is friendly and approachable, particular once the know your name. Neighborhood and sushi gem-don't let Soon's Korean heritage turn you away-he's got it down!Special Features:
- Best Sushi in the Chicago AreaCinTimDined on 12/19/2013We have tried many Sushi places, moved around country and this is the best Sushi we have ever had. Would highly recommend this restaurant. Small cozy dining. when we started visiting this restaurant it was unknown. Now you have to have a reservation on the weekend. It is packed!!! We love this place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food!ChefanieDined on 12/13/2013My husband and I are sushi novices. Our server was helpful guiding us through the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food OK - But WAY over-pricedjvpnapervilleDined on 10/12/2013Food OK - Dining Room Cramped - Service Fair - WAY WAY OVERPRICED - Many better Sushi places in Lisle/Naperville area for the $!!
- Best sushi ever!!Annc430Dined on 10/12/2013Just loved it!! Even met Chef Soon! The food and the carvers were outstanding! Going back on Friday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingfitzerinDined on 10/9/2013I crave Sushi by Chef Soon. Sooo delicious! The flavors he uses are unique and delicious. I brought a friend from out of state here and she was really impressed with the freshness of the fish as well as the rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Service but that isTerikDined on 9/21/2013When you walk into a Japanese resturant and see that 1/2 or more of the people are Japanese, then you know the food is authentic. The services was outstanding and so was the food and presenation. The place is tired and furniture looks like it came from the old country buffett. Go for the food, but don't expect to see white table clothes and space to spread out. Lots of families with chrildren.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushischmitDined on 8/8/2013chef Soon was an amazing creator of sushi. We enjoyed everything.Special Features:
- Expensive, poor spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2013The sushi was just OK & very expensive for what you get in that area. On the summer roll you receive 8, but the sushi was sliced so thin on top you could barely taste it. For the price I expect a larger slice of fish. Also the space is really strange within the front side portion of a Korean restaurant. It's crammed in a corner at the entrance. Kind of strange!
- Best Sushi to date.FatGuyLovesFoodDined on 7/12/2013Four of us dined, 2 who liked sushi and two who didn't. When we left, we were all in love with this place. The quality, presentation and taste were the best we've had. Can't wait to go back. We shared 6 rolls...all if such we enjoyed. Firecracker was the shared favorite. Even those who didn't like sushi loved the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent. SomeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/27/2013The food was excellent. Some of the best sushi I have ever had. I would definitely eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Middle of the roadSteveNVIPDined on 6/22/2013Compared to fine sushi restaurants in the city, this place was okay but not outstanding. Presentation was also only adequate as was the food.
- Red Dragon most excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2013I tried several dishes. Each was unique and equally satisfying... However, I fell in love with the Red Dragon. It contained different textures and flavors. It stood out to my taste buds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food prepared withBlarneyDined on 5/18/2013Excellent food prepared with attention to detail and creativity.Special Features:
- Craving sushi?FoooodDined on 5/3/2013Then you must go to Sushi by Chef Soon in Lisle. The Sushi is deliciously flavorful in every bite! We had 6 different rolls and they were all perfect. You can get sweet, spicy, fresh, fried...you name it. No soy sauce needed! No soy sauce! That says a lot. It's worth the trip...if you are not in Lisle. I'm in Chicago :) Definitely not your vibrant, romantic, scenic, late-night ambiance, BUT it's a must for the sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.