4504 Kukui St.
Kapaa, HI 96746Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sushibushido.com/
- Phone: (808) 822-0664
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 2:00pm-5:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 5:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Victor Heresa Jr.
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Victor 8086355511
- Entertainment: Live local music, nights may vary. Call for more information.
A word from Sushi Bushido
Sushi Bushido offers traditional, contemporary, new wave, and local style sushi. We are known for our fresh fish selection and our innovative and unique sushi rolls. The Golden Roll, Lava Roll, and Butter Me Up are some of the favorites. A full kitchen menu is also offered with an extensive sake menu. Our atmosphere is known to be personable and upbeat. Come see our sushi chefs in action.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Sushi Bushido - Best Restaurants in Kapaa ›
Sushi Bushido reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (10)special occasion (10)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (6)romantic (6)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- It was good.AKHIDined on 11/15/2014The reason why I say my experience was good was because the first person we made contact with gave my husband and I a very sassy attitude. The hostess did not greet us, let alone smile at us when we walked up to her. If I were the hiring manager I would place her where customer service isn't needed, like dishwashing or bussing. Our server, on the other hand, was really pleasant. I don't remember her name but she was on top of it. The food tasted pretty good but we couldn't believe we paid $16 for 6 pieces of sushi! We had ordered two rolls and when the server brought it to our table my husband thought she had only brought one roll. Usually rolls we order in most sushi restaurants come with 10 pieces. We also had the spicy seafood platter which was amazing. I definitely recommend it. Our waters were being filled every 15 minutes which my husband liked very much (he drinks a lot of water) and the atmosphere was nice. It wasn't as loud as I thought it would be, probably because there was no live band playing that night. Overall, my husband and I had a really nice time but the hostess' service and the price is the reason why I chose "good" instead of "very good."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushikauisushiDined on 10/22/2014We sat atvthe sushi bar and this was some of the best sushi. Service was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for a Date or FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014Great food, wonderful atmosphere. Right in town with big windows looking out. Our waitress seemed a little frazzled and rushed but I guess that's just part of serving in a busy restaurant. Over all a great place.Special Features:
- Wouldn't go back...LaurelnHardyDined on 10/7/2014They took quite a while to seat us, even though we had reservations, we arrived on time, and they had plenty of tables open and an empty bar. We finally got a seat at the bar and waited for over 30 minutes until one of the chefs working g at the bar decided he would just take our order since none of the waitresses could be bothered. A few of the rolls were good, I would expect better tasting fish considering g we were in Hawaii. I've had much better sushi in Phoenix. But the place was nicely decorated, had a cool samurai feel, average prices. I would recommend to those who like the deep fried rolls covered in sauces and want to hang out there for countless hours :)Special Features:
- Simply amazing!foodloverDined on 9/22/2014I absolutely have nothing bad to say about my dining experience here. From the start we were treated with care and genuine kindness! Amazing service and amazing food to match. Definitely will be coming here more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not my first bad experienceInternationalFoodieDined on 9/18/2014Everytime I've eaten here it takes a VERY long time to get your sushi order. But this last time, the quality of the food has gone down hill. The edamame was served cold and unsalted, the Ikura didn't look or taste fresh, the "baked" sushi rolls came out so piping hot that we had to wait for them to cool off, the bonito flakes tasted stale, and even my iced tea taste old. Our server was unattentive, lacked personality, and had no clue that we were waiting a long time for our food. I had to get up and track her down twice to get any service.
- Great SushiMarkNLu0304Dined on 9/12/2014Had a great time and loved the food! Also entertainment was excellentSpecial Features:
- Fresh and FriendlyDiscerningDinerDined on 8/26/2014First, we have to give the restaurant credit for going out of their way to seat us even though we were late for our reservation. The lateness explains why several menu items weren't available -- a good sign in our opinion since it indicates a commitment to freshness. We found the service to be friendly. The specialty rolls were creative -- we especially liked the lollipop roll -- as delicious as it was beautifully presented.Special Features:
- You need reservations here!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Sushi Bushido fills up quickly but using OpenTable was the fastest and easiest way to make your reservations.Special Features:
- Wrong Choice for SushithevolcanodoctorDined on 8/18/2014We chose Sushi Bushido for our very special 5 year anniversary dinner as we are huge fans of all things sushi. Very painfully slow on service, both from the waitress/waiter's end (getting our orders, filling waters, and especially with the bill) but especially from the kitchen (that is not how long sushi is supposed to take). The biggest complaint by far is the quality and taste of the sushi itself. For reasons unknown, the sushi chefs felt the need to blowtorch every sushi order that they sent out, causing everything on the menu to taste like smoked salmon and nothing else.
- Better daysSnV808Dined on 8/14/2014Found service to be seated super slow and music a bit too loud. Food still good. Had multiple servers who got confused as to who asked what and if order was placed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi Island StyleTravellingRonDined on 8/11/2014Sushi Bushido was a pleasant surprise and brought some great local fish to our plates. I love to see local items on menus and the ahi and hamachi did not disappoint - fresh, firm and flavourful - the three F's of sushi were all in play. We had a table of 7 and our waitress was great - being the last table of the night didn't result in the usual rush you out routine. She was patient with the kids but quick to attend to water, saki, juicenor whatever was needed. 2nd requests for rolls were happily attended to. The rolls had some local twists and were well presented and balanced. Overall a very good restaurant that I would gladly retuen to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, spotty serviceGoldenjagDined on 8/11/2014We went to Sushi Bushido for my birthday and I was very much looking forward to it. Prices were steep but for sushi and Kauai it wasn't too terrible. What was really disappointing was the timing of the food. My sushi only dinner came out very quickly but we had to wait at least 1/2 hour for the rest of my family to get their food (teryiaki and a steak dish) which was really annoying, not to mention stressful as we had our two young children with us. We also had to wait a long time for our appetizer, by the time it came we were almost done eating. I would eat there again if the kitchen timing was better, but if not I probably wouldn't bother.
- Great Sushi in the heart of KapaaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Excellent sushi for the family. We come here for special occasions all the time and when we feel the urge for fine sushi dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- honeymoon mealhawaiihoneymoonersDined on 8/11/2014We are in kauai on our honeymoon and we went here from our first dinner on kauai. Food was delicious. Not the best we'd ever had, but still really good. My favorite was the no foiling around. Overall nice meal, nice place. Would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi with style!ActivityKauaiDined on 8/6/2014Sushi Bushidos is a must. They offer an eclectic variety of sushi, with top notch fresh fish and sushi chefs that make it special to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Time VisitsushifixDined on 8/3/2014This was our second visit; the first being July 2013 when we last came to Kauai. The online reservation system was easy and insured a table at the time we wanted. The food was excellent as was our first experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Live Singer & Great Foodlove2dineVIPDined on 7/28/2014The mixed drinks were great. Food was tasty, especially the teriyaki steak and the sushi rolls. Service was great. The live musician and singer were excellent! Bring back Joey Charles; he is very talented! We decided to listen to him sing more, so we ordered more food and another drink--we found ourselves singing along with him from our table! Put this special restaurant on your list when you visit Kauai!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 55 reviews are from the Sushi Bushido reviews archive.
- HORRIBLE Staff!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Waited for over 30 minutes for our table after getting there with a reservation already made. The restaurant was half empty. People came after us and were seated before us. Then when finally seated we waited over 15 minutes and "workers" kept passing us by and never even so much as made eye contact or offered water. They didn't even care one bit as we got up and walked out. They have successfully lost all of my future business. Way to go, lazy worthless staff!
- love the food!sushiloverDined on 7/11/2014Food is absolutely amazing and the service was helpful and friendly. Gave great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AppetizerLoverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014Six of us ordered sushi and rolls and we enjoyed them all. The waitress recommended some special rolls, which we liked, too. Try the lollipop sushi, it's fun. Our only problem was when she spilled the special brown sauce for the Lollipop sushi on one of us, making quite a mess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid sushiWailuahomesteadDined on 7/6/2014The sushi and the food from the kitchen was good. I really like the baked lobster roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!SushiAddictDined on 6/24/2014Due to our late reservation (8:15pm, the only restaurant in the area that would take a reservation that late) our sushi was a little delayed because of a full restaurant. Our server Grant greeted us quickly and got our drinks going. He kept coming back and apologizing for the wait but we didn't mind. The music was good and the restaurant atmoshere was festive. Once the food came it came all at once and it was fantastic. The sushi chefs didn't cut any corners because we were the last table. The presentation and quality of the sushi was as if we were the 7:00 table. Again, every person we encountered there were friendly and professional. Grant was the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi great but regular food aveSUSHILOVERVIPDined on 6/15/2014This was our 2nd time here and I've noticed they are known and well off known for their sushi, I wouldn't count on their regular food entrees (tempura, fish entrees, steak etc.) The sushi was very good and satisfying - The gold karat roll and Muchiko Roll (sp?). However, we ordered a mixed tempura plate and the spicy scallop/fish entrée and they were both ok. The fish entrée was overcooked, very dry. This goes for our 1st and 2nd time. We also got the soba salad and it didn't have enough dressing which was a simply fix. The steak we got the 1st visit also didn't have much seasoning and was not the greatest for over $30. Otherwise the ambiance and service was great! Our server did not mind our infant making a little bit of a mess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner at Bushido, not goodRogerVIPDined on 6/10/2014This is not a sushi restaurant. In a word, the food was awful----this is the best I can say about this restaurant.
- Kauai SushichevalVIPDined on 6/3/2014Great menu, and Food! Anyone visiting the Island of Kauai, Hawaii should visit Sushi Bushido for wonderful sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/16/2014Fish was fresh. Rolls were creative and tasty. Did not have everything they advertise on menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014My wife and I enjoyed the experience. The manager quickly noticed that we needed assistance and passed the request to our server who was busy. Our evening experience was quite pleasant.Special Features:
- Top notch sushi for Kauai!76SouthDined on 5/10/2014First time trying this place. Prices are good for sushi. Had reservations and was seated immediately, service was fast and friendly and the sushi was perfect. Will come back when I return to Kauai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceSnV808Dined on 5/2/2014Waitress nice and attentive bit sushi chefs took forever and it was 845pm and less than 1/2 of restaurant filled. Spicy Cosmo roll and lollipop roll where awesome. Perfect snow sake was good and potent. Thick n milky21% alcohol 30lml bottle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUR FAVORIE SUSHI RESTAURANT!!!JulesDined on 4/29/2014AWSOME FOOD, SERVICE, DRINKS....EVERYTHING WAS EXCELLENT!!! SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS LETTERS ITS DEFINATELY A GOOD SHOUT OUTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coconut Wireless RollemtorgDined on 4/21/2014Cocount Wireless Roll was amazing. Sushi chef was worth watching.Special Features:
- Great sushiTKandAKDined on 3/29/2014We had great sushi & you can tell the food is made with love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe and great sushi!NatSDined on 3/15/2014Really enjoyed Sushi Bushido during our stay in Kauai. We returned for a 2nd visit after having delicious sushi and entrees' on our first visit. One of the few locations open late. Live music during the week. We called ahead the first night, Wed, to hold a table for 4 and were seated within 10min after our arrival. Sushi rolls were delicious; spicy items are definitely spicy. Would recommend to anyone looking for sushi on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time in Kapa'aMikeyDined on 3/2/2014We came at opening of business at 5 no wait. Good, sake and wine was all good! Excellently prepared, very fresh although saw the uni and it looked sketchy. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for sashimi and was notJimmDined on 2/26/2014Went for sashimi and was not disappointed. Fresh, tasty and reasonably priced. Kimi, our waitress, was exceptional. Service was far and above what the reviews would have you think. Maki rolls were good but not any better than we have had on the mainland. All in all it was a good meal. Go for the sashimi!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!Lunagirl1Dined on 2/24/2014Bushido's is of those places you love to go back to. The food, staff and service are always consistent and good. Great energy and great people!Special Features:
- I had very good feeling aboutZabbaDined on 2/8/2014I had very good feeling about this place the moment we walked in! It was very clean, the host was friendly and the waitress seemed new but nice enough. The tables were very clean and the menu was very well organized. That however was the end of the nice stuff. The food was very very low quality. The best roll they had was the California roll. My party of four had ordered 5 specialty rolls and well they looked nice, the taste was non existent and they rolls were so large it was near impossible to fit a piece into your mouth. All in all I can comfortably say that it was the worst sushi I ever had in my life.
- DeliciousKokoDined on 1/30/2014Beautiful Restraunt. The paintings inside are amazing. There's music and good energy inside. The food is OUTSTANDING. My favorites are the butter me up roll and of course their golden roll. I'm also impressed with opentable for making it easy. I had know idea that I could make reservations just like that!
- Great Sushi Restaurant.BigWaveDined on 1/30/2014Fantastic food and service! Great find for Sushi lovers. Many great dishes and well priced for the quality. Service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.