351 5th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11215Neighborhood:
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.surfishbistro.com/
- Phone: 7188328200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian, South American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Miguel Aguilar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Surfish Bistro
Lima-born chef/owner Miguel Aguilar has assembled a menu of Peruvian favorites with an international twist. He’s been called a master of ceviche, taking cues from culinary traditions of Japan, Italy, Spain and China. He has won food network competition: Chopped, with the episode No Pales, No Problem.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Surfish Bistro - Best Restaurants in Park Slope ›
Surfish Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (25)great for lunch (10)romantic (9)special occasion (9)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)good for groups (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- ReverbDined on 9/12/2014This place has a wonderful vibe and the seafood dishes are interesting and tasty, especially the ceviche. The octopus, toro and oysters were all hits at our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MenuFrankEatsOutDined on 9/6/2014The food was excellent, went on a late summer Saturday night, had reservations for 7:30. We were seated right on time. The indoor dining area looked kind of cramped, but outside on the patio was nice. The food is very good, with a diverse menu, hearty too decent size portions without making you feel like you just ate a car tire. I would certainly recommend,Special Features:
- First Try. A TKO!dappieDined on 9/2/2014Yum! Yum! Really went here because of the rave reviews and of course because Chef Miguel won chopped! Try it yourself! You won't be disappointed. Will definitely return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatrickVIPDined on 8/26/2014intimate "backyard" dining mostly covered. Our waitress was very attentive, helpful and gracious when seating & serving the 3 of us + 2 month old in stroller. I also did take out for a missing family member which was very taste-y and nicely presented in the take out container. Regrettably, the taste-y cerviche was tiny; fortunately the tapas were on the larger side. As this restaurant is in a Bklyn taxpayer, the building is narrow (maybe 20-25 feet wide), so I would not consider bring backpacks or strollers there during busy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really niceJuliaDined on 8/24/2014Food was great, interesting variety, service excellent. Sea food really tasty, nice simple presentation. Recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!!Luv2dineDined on 8/23/2014The quiet atmospere of the outdoor dining allowed you to escape the busyness of Brooklyn/NYC. The food was excellent and very authentic Peruvian at a very reasonable price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surfish a sur betviuk2Dined on 8/22/2014surfish has been top notch since they opened - very professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafoodfiendDined on 8/9/2014I love this place. I am slowly making my way through the menu with each visit and have yet to find a dish I don't like. The only problem I have when eating at Surfish is deciding which ceviche to start with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemAsh318Dined on 8/1/2014Fresh, fantastic food. It was a neighborhood find. Very pleased to have tried it. Ceviche was just fantastic!Special Features:
- Great Ceviche!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014Very nice experience. The ceviche was awesome. We had the tasting and tried a few. Excellent! Then we had some tapas. All very good, just be careful, the tapas' portions are big, almost entree size. Not a complaint, just a side note. It was a great dinner.Special Features:
- Great foodkirileiDined on 7/18/2014Very well done. Been here twice now, excellent! The ceviches are divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peruvian neighborhood gemToddVIPDined on 7/16/2014This place is a real undiscovered neighborhood gem. The food is excellent, particularly the ceviche in all its varieties. The 3-ceviche sampler is an outstanding dish. We ate outside in the back, which was quiet, pretty, and really nice (and the excellent weather of course helped). The sangria was really good too. It's an unassuming little place amidst a lot of storefronts and restaurants on 5th Avenue in the Slope. I hope it does well, but I kinda also hope it doesn't get discovered by too many people...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/13/2014Really good food, well-deserved good reviews. Service a bit slow, but more than adequate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Surfish!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014I have been to Surfish several times, each one a great dining experience. I never leave disappointed. The service is great, the food is delicious, and the staff is always welcoming. Please try the ceviche, the mahi mahi taquitos, the pulled pork sliders, and the adobado...it's all so good. Portions are big and go great with the red sangria! All in all an excellent restaurant!Special Features:
- Authentic and Delicious foodFabfoodDined on 7/4/2014Great choice for delicious food....in a casual setting. Warm and welcoming service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good & creativeJasboDined on 6/25/2014The menu is full of traditional foods, as well as modern takes on old classics, all very well prepared, wonderfully seasoned, generous servings. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Al66Dined on 6/18/2014The food was absolutely exceptional, the service on point. A great findSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDebbieVIPDined on 6/18/2014Really enjoyed the food here. The skirt steak was so delicious and tender. The wine was good. Cant wait to go back! Highly recommend SurfishSpecial Features:
- Good foodNEatsDined on 6/15/2014Was craving for ceviche. Their sampler was good. Wished there were more oysters, though. Also, though we had a reservation, our table wasn't ready when we got there (on time). We had to wait 20 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014One of the best places in Brooklyn! The food is always outstanding. The ribs melt in your mouth.Special Features:
- Good experienceStefano65padovaDined on 6/9/2014Was coming from Italy, found it via Tripadvisor. Excellent dinner with my wife, everything was well prepared and the food is absolutely to recommend. I would suggest to try it, in Brooklyn area is a nice try. Few tables so it is better to make a reservation. Value for money is very good.Special Features:
- Great Peruvian Food!bigeyesVIPDined on 6/8/2014We enjoyed sitting in the outside patio. The ceviche was delicious as was the skirt steak. The tilapia was fresh and tasty, but a little rich. The paella was delicous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014If you're in Park Slope and want a really good restaurant, Surfish is it! Food and service was excellent. I cannot wait to go back to try all the other ceviches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 132 reviews are from the Surfish Bistro reviews archive.
- Birthday DinnerjojothebearDined on 5/9/2014Food was excellent, and the staff was attentive and friendly, particularly considering that the place was packed. My only complaint was that the noise level required everyone to strain a bit to be heard.Special Features:
- Delicious in a Small SpaceFrancoSVIPDined on 5/9/2014730 reservation, no table available. 8pm, still no table. The place is tiny and probably over capacity, but it is worth the wait. Just bring patience with you. Once the food arrives you will forget whatever discomfort you may have experienced waiting at a bar no bigger than a middle school desk, where you will be asked to wait. It isn't a joke. So bring a sense of humor too. Every dish stands out, but the ceviches are the reason to run, not walk to this place in Park Slope.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backBG73Dined on 5/9/2014Food was great, staff were very friendly. More for couples than family, but 5 of us (plus one half) had a great time. And all would go back!Special Features:
- Amazing!EmilyDined on 4/11/2014This restaurant was wonderful! Great food, great atmosphere, highly recommended. Beautiful outdoor area.Special Features:
- Heavenly cevichelinsyVIPDined on 4/11/2014Ceviche was to die for, really exquisite. They have so many varieties beyond the traditional lime/salt variety. I would recommend the ceviche taster to try 3 different varieties. However, I didn't enjoy the other menu items. My bf ordered steak tacu tacu, cooked "medium", but it was not medium, and steak was tough and rubbery like a shoe sole. Tacu Tacu was lacking flavor for me. I would really only recommend the ceviche, which have these incredible sauces unlike anything I've tasted before. I also had a taquito app, which was just OK. Service is OK, Place is really small, so it's best to get there early or expect limited elbow room. Overall though I would come back when I am in the mood for ceviche.Special Features:
- Great Food - Cramped SeatingJJMMDined on 4/5/2014I went to Surfish based on a recommendation from a Peruvian friend. As my friend and I are married to Peruvians, we know what good Peruvian food is supposed to be like. That said, Surfish lived up to all expectations. The food was fantastic. Despite having reservations, we had to wait for quite a while before a table opened up to accomodate us. Nevertheless, the food was worth the wait. Surfish's only downfall is its cramped seating area. Chef Aguilar should consider expanding; it would be a shame if he couldn't proffer his talent to more people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brooklyn's Best Cevicheria!SalkaDined on 3/20/2014This was quite the find after having stopped in once prior. Though the menu is fairly simple, it does pack a punch in the quality items and fare which was offered. Despite the lack of finesse on the part of one of the servers, the experience was worth the trip into the heart of Brooklyn. The ceviche mixto is quite the deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmmDaveDined on 3/12/2014This guy is a star at sauces. The sauce on the shrimp tamale, the peanut sauce on the ribs, the tigre with the ceviches...amazing. I was lapping them up with a spoon, wiping them up with my fingers. They were busy, but they forgot to bring us a dessert menu when asked, and mistook "no cilantro on top" for extra cilantro on top. But that doesn't change the fact that the meal was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014I chose Surfish from the 10 best spots to go in Park Slope. I wanted to take my fiancé on a date night. We wanted to try something different it was awesome food, service, sangria. She was pleased and raved about it all weekend long. It is small but well worth trying. The food was fresh and prepared to perfection very accomadating staff definitely going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentshuroVIPDined on 3/1/20142nd visit. Impeccable, from food to service. Not one single complaint. We come from Bayside, Queens to eat here. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/23/2014Some of the dishes were excellent takes on Peruvian cuisine: chicharrón sliders; and some left a lot to be desired: overly salty pork and cold entrees. Service was uninspired.Special Features:
- Small space with big tasteCollierCulinaryCritiqueaVIPDined on 2/22/2014I wasn't sure what to expect by this little place. The menu offers something for everyone (meat lovers, leaf eaters, or picky pals). Each of us had something different (small plate, entree, and brunch item). Loved it all. Whether Pork belly, steak & eggs, or eggplant, you'll be delighted by the flavor and leave full not only from the food (proper portions) but from the love you can tell goes into the food. Brunch even came with a free drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always have been one of ourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/1/2014Always have been one of our favorites. Uber delicious food :)Special Features:
- DeliciousZeeBeeDined on 1/10/2014Surfish was a very good experience. It's good for smaller parties of 6 or less, very small place. Even though we had a reservation for 5 people we waited an hour to be seated.. It was worth the wait... The food was authentic & delicious. The sangria was really tasty...the chocolate dessert was yummy..I highly recommend this restaurant... Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatjackieDined on 1/4/2014Took my family there for dinner. The space is very small and dark but the food is awesome. Even my picky 5 yr old loved her chicken and mashed potatoes. Everything we ordered we loved!Special Features:
- Xmas daySCCKDined on 12/25/2013Excellent food and service! Very creative, fresh and servers very accomodating for recommendations, making adjustments. Staff super helpful and lovely. Food innovative and perfect! Noise was extremely annoying, to the point that we had to ask them to turn it down, as it was hurting our ears and difficult to talk and listen. No relevance to the mood, holiday nor ambience. Just loud music blaring over speakers. The TV screen can go too, or just be turned off when no bar scene. All servers/waiters very friendly, warm and accomodating. Thank you! Do you host private parties? or cater? You are not a sports bar. If you turn down the music sometimes, and even turn off the TV too, will become more of a romantic hot spot or late night locale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/19/2013This was my 2nd time there. The food was great and will have to go back there again.Special Features: