4627 Coast Highway
Pacifica, CA 94044Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.surfspoteats.com/
- Phone: 6503557873x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Keith Bailey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Limitless iterations of the diverse cuisine we offer. You dream it...we make it happen.
- Entertainment: Live music on a scale not seen on the San Mateo Coast. An outdoor amphitheater complete with private cabanas, tiki huts and torches, and a full on Imu (underground oven in Hawaiian) for Luaus and clambakes.
A word from Surf Spot
Reinventing casual dining and bringing you the food vacations are made of, every day. Live fire cooking and streetfood from surf spots around the world combine with innovative private dining spaces and copious outdoor dining opportunities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Surf Spot - Best Restaurants in Pacifica ›
Surf Spot reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
kid-friendly (28)great for outdoor dining (27)good for groups (21)neighborhood gem (21)great for lunch (15)fit for foodies (14)hot spot (12)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (7)special occasion (6)scenic view (5)romantic (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- CarelessOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014We have been in Pacifica twice in the evening and both times when we asked friends where to go for dinner this place is the first suggestion. We have a 1 year old so maybe that's why people have suggested it to us. The food? Ugh, menu is all over the place & everything is just mediocre. The service? oh my gosh. Both times we've caught ourselves looking at the clock about 10 times wondering where our drinks, appetizers, water, water refills, food and check were. Not one time did anything arrive promptly or at a reasonably expected time. Waited a full HOUR before any food arrived. Our toddler was hungry and crying/begging to EAT by the time it finally came. We won't be coming back.Special Features:
- pretty goodpvpartyDined on 10/17/2014Good basic menu. Great caesar salad and friendly service. Buns tasty but too soft for burgers. Overall, pretty good.Special Features:
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014This restaurant not only as unique and delicious food, it also has attentive serve staff. From the host to the bus boy. All were awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatducatisbDined on 9/20/2014As always great food, creative cocktails and friendly service. As a gluten free vegetarian I am also happy because there is always something for me to eat and the staff is accommodating to my questions / needs.Special Features:
- pretty goodTinyTimmyDined on 9/13/2014the food was good...portions spot on...an upscale local dive environment...dessert was wonderful (and shared)...parking was great. the service could have been better...my steak was a little to tough for my liking...peaceful after the loud adorable little children left... it is 10 minutes from my home...I will go again ☺Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dininggraceDined on 9/11/2014It has never disappointed me yet so far. It's one of the places I don't mind coming back to over & over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatducatisbDined on 9/5/2014Surf Spot has never failed us. This was a great last minute celebration for some good news we received. Our server, Stephanie, was top notch which made the great food even better!Special Features:
- Terrible service, awful food,Rachw1225Dined on 8/30/2014Overpriced food which was terrible, I spent 100 bucks on dinner and could not eat 96% of my meal. The service was terrible the food was not cooked properly and terrible. Awful, awful, awful; the place has potential however it seems like this bar tried to take on more than it can chew. When I spend 100 on dinner I expect to leave full or at least content with my meal.Special Features:
- Slow serviceshoomfamilyDined on 8/30/2014We had reservations at 7:30om and it was soooooo slow to get our food took forever. It was 9pm when I was finally getting my main entrée.Special Features:
- Good vibesgoldbloodedgrillerVIPDined on 8/30/2014After taking my daughter for a swim, we needed a spot to watch college football (because directv sucks and doesn't have pac12net). Great atmosphere, beach in front, music venue in back, 80's hits playing, very laid back vibe. We had a couple burgers, they were ok, I plan on having the wild game next visit. Bonus kudos for the environmentally friendly wares & water upon request. My only real peeve was the bartenders who weren't extremely busy couldn't figure out the cable receiver and find the game. Frustrating because they have several TVs showing other games but not the local teamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burger!YourPalDined on 8/24/2014Love the food at Surf Spot! I've been at least four times, and the food never disappoints. On this trip, the wait staff was very busy. Too busy. They might need to add some staff on Saturday afternoons. Otherwise, love this place! The burger and garlic-truffle fries are fabulous! Check this place out!Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable Lunch at Surf SpotnickiemDined on 8/23/2014We had lunch outdoors so we could view the Hawaiian music and I have to say I was really pleased with all the food. My husband and I ordered the kalbi ribs small plate (which was not small at all), the kimshi calamari, coconut shrimp and kale salad, along with two pomegranate mojitos. Everything was really good. It was a great venue sittng in the sun, listening to the Hawaiian music and watching the hula dancing. I'd definitely return to try the pizzas which looked fantastic. Service was good but could have been a little more attentive. Food came fairly quickly despite the waitress saying it would be a 30 minute wait.Special Features:
- Always fabulous!PacmomDined on 8/22/2014Great food every time!! Service is wonderful - my favorite spot in Pacifica!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surf Spot Cuisine and Live MusicSeafoodLoverDined on 8/22/2014The Surf Spot includes some healthy but delicious menu items. I recommend their Kale Salad. It was a foggy night on the outside patio, so I ordered hot clam chowder, which was very good - lots of clams and NOT overloaded with potatoes. Surf Spot has live music performances and we drove from Concord to Pacifica to hear the OffShoots Band. Unfortunately, the sound system was not adjusted correctly for most of the show. The sound man finally got it right for the third set. Their sound technician needs to try harder to make sure the audience can hear the music clearly. Five stars for Surf Spot's chefs, but only one star for their sound technician.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, disappearing waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014Food was great, but service that nite was spotty. got there at 530 on a thurs nite. restaurant was not busy. We waited almost 30 mins just for burgers, and had to track down the waitress when we wanted to order desert. Table next to us was seated after us, but got served right away ( diff server) She would disappear for very long periods. We got better service and attention from the guy busing the tables. Been there many times, this is the first time I have had bad service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Good place. Good food. Good drinks!! Have gone many, many times for lunch and dinner. Always good experience.Special Features:
- Interesting Every TimeAimersbVIPDined on 8/3/2014We've been going here since the Surf Spot opened, and I marvel every time how different the experience is. Good service, terrible service. Great food, food served stone cold. It's a great neighborhood place that's still trying to figure out who they are. Fancy? Casual? Complicated food? Comfort food? They still don't know. And that's okay. Just know this before you come. Roll the dice and see what you get!Special Features:
- Fun in PacificaVirginiaDined on 8/1/2014We went to Surf Spot for dinner as a fun place for my nephew to enjoy. We were pleasantly surprised by how great the food was and the quality of product. I don't know what I was expecting but I was very happy with all of the food that came to the table. The room is great, the outdoor area is super fun, and the service was good. All in all it was a great night.Special Features:
- Disappointment!SeasonedDinerDined on 7/25/2014From the moment we arrived and had to hunt down the hostess (no stand) to the payment of our (corrected) bill, this place was sub-par. The service was beyond sloppy, the food fair to inedible. (Don't order the kale salad unless you want your tastebuds numbed by chile oil before you get to your entree.) The dishes came out catch-as-catch-can (one of them not all) and the waiter never checked in about the food when it did arrive. The twice-requested lemon slice, when it came, was unceremoniously thrust toward the diner on a skewer. The pizza had a nice thin crust but was overdone, and the fresh mozzarella had turned to rubber. After dinner, we cancelled the missing dish (to the waiter's surprise), but sure enough, it appeared on the bill.Special Features:
- The food is always very goodGamsNEggsVIPDined on 7/23/2014Stellar salads, wonderful pulled pork sandwich, and they cater too. Pacifica is lucky to have such a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Service poorJosephDined on 7/22/2014Immediate seating. Bar service has improved. Food service 30-45 min. behind. We orderd 2 entrees and a burger.1hr and forty minutes from seating to walking. Unbealivable.
- Nice patioGinaDined on 7/18/2014I wasn't a fan of the food since there wasn't anything outstanding about it. The wild game sliders had a lot of bun and not that much meat. The sauce on the chicken wings were dried out which made the wings sticky. The truffle garlic fries were tasty, though. The drinks were pricey. The bartender's special (Nectarine Rum drink) was $9. For a place in Pacifica, a suburb of SF, that's a lot! If you go there, you're paying for the atmosphere. The outside firepit was nice. After my experience, however, with the pricey food andSpecial Features:
- Off their game tonightMenloGalVIPDined on 7/12/2014I went to the Surf Spot for a nice, casual dinner and unfortunately left disappointed. I went a few months ago for lunch and was pleased with the food, service and ambiance. Last night we ordered a Greek burger and a ceasar salad with chicken. The ceaser salad dressing was lacking in flavor, the lettuce was not crunchy. The falafel pattie did not seem to be freshly prepared, perhaps frozen even. It was a gummy, dry mess. The brioche roll did not taste fresh and did not suit the falafel. I would give it a go again, but stick with the small plates. Disappointed.
- Good Food, Good Music!RyanEatsFishDined on 7/6/2014I have been to Surf Spot many times, it is my go-to for when I take the kids out. There is a full sand volleyball court in back, with live music most times I go (I think Fri-Sun,) and I find the cuisine to always be satisfying, if not superb. Try the wild game sliders if that's your thing, I always get those, and the mussels are the best preparation I have had in a long time. Don't miss out on the butterscotch dessert if you haven't had it, or the custom ice cream sandwich with fresh cookies is a no-brainer. In back is an awesome hangout, you want food or drinks, its the same as a bar - advocate for yourself. Inside is seated and in front is the restaurant proper, which has always had prompt service in my experience.Special Features:
- Quick-bite but service not so quickfood2explore21Dined on 7/3/2014Spot to grab quick bite. Nothing too special on the menu. Ambiance is pretty vibrant (loud) and service was kind of slow on that day. Got a mixed-up on our bill with table next to us, so got charged extra. Took them a while to try to get it fixed. In the end, we were offered to receive a gift card instead!!Special Features:
- Great way to spend a SundayPlainJaneDined on 6/29/2014You can't beat a Sunday afternoon spent listening to good (free) music outdoors with friends. Both the food and the weather were surprisingly good! Very friendly and accommodating staff.
- The following 40 reviews are from the Surf Spot reviews archive.
- Weekend afternoonsSailorDined on 6/14/2014Great fun to sit outside and catch the music performances on weekends. Room to spread out with a service area and a non-service area. A volleyball court, outdoor fireplace, picnic tables lawn chairs, umbrellas and heaters. The bands they book are mostly very good and it's a pretty good venue to see and hear them. We especially like the Offshoots. Location is a little bowl sheltered from wind. Great innovative food and drinks. Seems short staffed and service can be slow and disorganized but nice people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great when the weather is sunnyMarkinBudapestDined on 6/7/2014Pacifica is not known for sunny days most of the year, but we got lucky in June (not typically a sunny month on the coast) and had an enjoyable lunch with local friends. The restaurant itself is not particularly large, but when the outdoor facilities lend themselves to al fresco dining, it become a big party atmosphere, with a combination of reserved table and self-service, first-come, first served options. The food is pretty good, and consists mainly of sandwiches and salads at lunch, and they have some excellent craft beers on tap, including the Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA I had. The craft beer selections change, so if that's important, call ahead or email for details on what their serving that day. The service is brisk and friendly.Special Features:
- DeenieDined on 6/7/2014We live in town, and ate at the Surf Spot a few times after it first opened. We felt the dining room was too small and not configured very well; as people were practically sitting on top of each other. Since then, the owners enclosed the deck, added more seating, entertainment and it was so much better. There was elbow room and one could have a conversation without sharing it with other patrons. We had a terrific time. The only thin I didn't care for were the adults at the table next to us who allowed their kids to literally run around on the deck while we were eating. Not cool. You want to let your kids run around - take them to the beach, a park or Chuck E Cheese.
- Leash your kids!MissTannerVIPDined on 6/6/2014I had an amazing time here with my girlfriend who was visiting me from out of town. I wanted to take her to a place that she would enjoy great food, service and of course something close to the ocean. We were sitting outside and all you see is kids- EVERYWHERE! We were sitting by the fire pit, one kid almost fell in, kids screaming, running around it was so unenjoyable I was almost embarrassed. Where are these kids parents!? I would defiantly be back but I hope they do something in the meantime about this- adults want to enjoy a night out too (kid free).Special Features:
- Service Does MatterOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/31/2014My husband and I have had a long-standing debate as to whether service really matters when it comes right down to it. He's always felt that if the food is good, the service doesn't really matter. This visit to the Surf Spot changed that opinion. The food was great! But our server? Meh... If it wasn't for the bus people, who felt like they had far more experience than our waiter, we wouldn't be returning. From not bringing (or even asking about) water and bread to not checking back on us to bringing our check without knowing if we wanted dessert or not (we did) he was checked OUT. I finally asked him if it was the end of his shift or something and he said "Yeah, in a few minutes." We'll be back for the food but not the service...Special Features:
- Bad serviceTonyDined on 5/25/2014This place has really bad service. Our beverage order was forgotten, refills were very scarce, and the dessert menu we asked for took 39 minutes to show up. All in all, we were here for 90 minutes and only spent 15-20 minutes eating. The rest of the time was spent waiting for our waitress to bring our food or to bring our check. Will not come again.
- GREAT FOOD NICE FRIENDLY RESTAURANTdatenightoutDined on 5/24/2014Eclectic restaurant, GREAT FOOD and friendly service in a small sea side town. There is music and entertainment if you desire. All food is recommended and kids are welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and delish with Music too!MenloGalVIPDined on 5/18/2014Stopped in for lunch on Sunday. We sat outside on the patio and listened to some jazz as we ate beautifully prepared, fresh and tasty fare. We enjoyed the bacon wrapped dates, kale salad, lamb meatballs and chocolate chip pancakes. Nice low key place to relax and enjoy good food.Special Features:
- we like it but very slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/17/2014On very foggy and cold Saturday the two of us were greeted pleasantly, seated immediately and acknowledged by our wait person in a timely fashion. From there it took us 20 minutes to get her attention to order even though our menus were stacked in a corner and we made frequent attempts to catch her eye and then failing that to wave her down. It was then 30 minutes until our orders were delivered to us. While the food was very tasty it was only lukewarm. Would we go back? Yes, we live on the coast and like the Surf Spot idea-laid back, good food, locally sourced when possible-large outdoor area with live music, friendly staff- all good stuff. But as this is not the first time we've had really slow service I though I should note it.
- Great place, came on a bad nightMrsDNAVIPDined on 5/16/2014It didn't seem that busy and we got right in, but it was super-dee-duper slow. Our waiter disappeared for awhile and we had to flag down others. The heaters outside were set up in clusters: none near us and 3 just around a single table. I'm used to one being near each table. We didn't have any luck getting them moved. Luckly, we brought jackets.The food took awhile and wasn't up to it's usual awesomeness. The T Rex pizza was beyond salty, it was like something I'd hang up for a horse. Even the wings I usually get sucked this time. We decided to get dessert elsewhere. I know desserts here often rock, but I wasn't tempting fate on this bad a night. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end of one of my favorite spots.Special Features:
- Good for Mother's DayBostonRobDined on 5/11/2014My wife's friend was in town visiting, and we came here for Mother's Day. The mussels were great, and the pizza was a good choice as well. They have a decent kids menu as well. Even if it's chilly outside, the patio dining is suitable, since there are decorative heaters outside. Overall, this place is a good fit for anyone looking to try something new.Special Features:
- Surf Spot treasureOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014we love eating here, inside, outside, on the deck, it's all great food and fun to hang out with your friends, and kids too! Live music is a bonus and seeing lot's of your Pacifica friends and neighbors is awesome, along with strangers that are super friendly, must be the salt air and great atmosphere. Remember your mom's advise, dress in layers, the ocean is beautiful that's why we live here, but it can be chilly so you were warned. Please don't complain about it, just enjoy the Surf Spot and come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really didn't enjoyRose13Dined on 5/9/2014We stopped by here, being locals, it was our first time. I wanted to like this place but just couldn't. The salmon was dry and really needed some flavor and the burger was just messy and fell apart. The table we had was inside but there was a horrible draft from it being do close to the door that led to the outside dining area. The staff was excellent and I really enjoyed our service, unfortunately the food just wanted that great.Special Features:
- Great Spot, Surf or Not!BriansBluesDined on 5/3/2014We love Surf Spot, so much so that my wife chose it for her birthday celebration with the family. The food has consistently been top notch, whether we're talking appetizers, seafood, burgers or pizzas. We've never had a bad or disappointing anything in the way of food. And, while it hasn't always been consistent on service, it is more than apparent that they have worked hard on making improvements where and when necessary -- and they are always friendly. One of our favorite aspects is the all around relaxed vibe of the place. We are able to let the kids run crazy around the sand volleyball court and the rest of the yard without worrying about them or whether they are disturbing other patrons while we are able to enjoy ourselves.Special Features: