Surf Club Ocean Grille - Wyndham Oceanfront
5700 Atlantic Ave
Virginia Beach, VA 23451Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Surf Club Ocean Grille - Wyndham Oceanfront
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.surfclubvabeach.com/
- Phone: (757) 425-5699
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 11:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am -2:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Virginia Morgan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Surf Club Ocean Grille - Wyndham Oceanfront
The Surf Club Ocean Grille is Virginia Beach's most elegant oceanfront eatery. Our name has evolved from the history of our property, which goes back to the thirties and forties. Back then, Big Band Leaders such as Jimmy Dorsey and Glenn Miller brought their big sound to our sandy shores. In remembrance of those glory years, we have created an atmosphere with the freshest seafood, contemporary comfort, and of course, a sensational view!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Surf Club Ocean Grille - Wyndham Oceanfront reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (2)special occasion (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)neighborhood gem (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Nice placeMaryVIPDined on 11/8/2014We were starved, decided to eat early. Well, we hit the wrong time. All the events people came at the same time. Although we had a reservation and were promised over the phone a good table with an ocean view, while we were telling who we thought was the person seating that we had a reservation, two non reservation couples jumped ahead of us, the real hostess returned, and the other couples got the last two tables looking at the ocean. The waitress did a good job but was obviously overworked at the influx of people at once. The Caesar salads were great, as were the crab cakes and steak. It was obviously some were not as pleased as we were with their food but ours was good. We would certainly go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad mealLocalsDined on 8/30/2014Virginia Beach locals try Surf Club Ocean Grille, Bad idea! The food looked nice but tasted awful. The menu sounded great online. The apps were cold and undercooked, the main course was extra cooked- dry and burnt. Was looking forward to a great meal- bummed!
- Fantastic wine tastingwineonthebeachDined on 8/21/2014As a member of a group of best friends, we always like to find things to do together for what we call: "ThirstyThursday." Well, we've definitely found what we will be doing on the third Thursday of the month at Surf Club Ocean Grille. Not only was the wine tasting extremely affordable, the outside venue in front of the Atlantic Ocean and the knowledge of Hank the Wine Guy added so much value to this outing. The food disappeared quite quickly, though, so maybe a bit more of the hot item being served would be appreciated. Other than that, this was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with friends & familyjakeVIPDined on 7/26/2014overall a fair experience. food was good, however service was sporadic and disorganized. music was brought inside due to the weather and it was LOUD! Would not go back due to service and noise factor.Special Features:
- Poor service...too many flies!Satcom76Dined on 7/26/2014We took our friends here for a birthday dinner. We sat in the back corner near the glass for a view of the ocean. There were dead flies all over the window ledge, and we had to mention this to the staff for them to clean it up. We also had approx 8 flies buzzing around our food/table all night...disgusting ambience! The service was poor, as we believe the lady was either new or had too many tables. She would disappear for 20 minutes at a time...even after ordering drinks. The food was good, but the overall experience was not acceptable. Unfortunately, we will not be coming back to this place. We don't recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Food left something to be desired.ChesapeakeresidentDined on 7/25/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant and will probably be our last. Our appetizer was the calamari which was a little tough. My crab cake was full of crab but was lacking in flavor. My husband's stuffed flounder was dry. There was a 3-piece band playing but it was too loud for us to carry on a dinner conversation. This restaurant looks out onto the beach which was a plus.Special Features:
- Very disappointedMmirchichVIPDined on 7/15/2014They claim it is the most elegant seafood restaurant in VA beach, but in no way is that accurate. The decor is dated, and the dining room was full of flies. If I see every table swatting at them, that's a problem. The servers were very disinterested in the customers. It makes you appreciate a restaurant who's staff is personable and engaging. The food itself was equally disappointing. The raw oysters were improperly shucked and they left a butchered oyster crab in one. The entrees were alright, but the presentation was lacking, sprinkling a ton of parsley on the plate doesn't make it elegant. I wouldn't waste a vacation dinner on this place. Many better options in VA beach.
- Pleasant oceanfront findFamilyfunVIPDined on 7/1/2014Quick trip to Va Beach with my wife. Discovered restaurant on Open Table. Great ocean front location and as we were dining fairly late had a waterfront table. Service was prompt and friendly. Salmon cooked to order and tasty. My wife's seafood pasta with chorizo was also a hit. Excellent dining experience for these first time visitors.Special Features:
- SLOWSamanthaDined on 6/6/2014Great view of the ocean with a romantic feel however, service was terrible and slow. We ordered seafood platter and filet and both were cold and had to be sent back. Manager did NOT come over. Server appeared overwhelmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre experienceDdinerDined on 5/15/2014I reserved to dine here for my husband's birthday. They never acknowledged any of the special requests I put in my reservation memo on opentable which was the first pitfall. So I was over that because the venue was the perfect ocean view. Service was average and friendly. The food was subpar, especially for the price you would expect more. We orderd the calamari and shrimp to start and it was extremely salty. We ordered steak and snow crab legs for our entrees. The steak was ridden with fat and was bland. The crab legs were standard. For desert we orderd apple upside down cake which actually was very tasty. Overall I wouldn't go back and pay such high price for a subpar meal. But I would go to have a cocktail to watch sunset.Special Features:
- BIRTHDAY WEEKENDHOTTUBHEAVENDined on 4/18/2014NICE OCEANFRONT AREA AWAY FROM THE NOISE DOWN THE OTHER END NICE QUIET GETAWAYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiapponteddiappointedDined on 4/12/2014We choose this restaurant because we have been once before and it was good. I got the stuffed flounder roulade and it was inedible. It was so overcooked that the flounder was actually hard and very dry. The stuffing was not flavorful. I had the waiter remove. He did come back and did not charge for the meal but that was not the point. Yes, I agree since I could not eat it that we should not be charged. Would have much rather had it delicious and edible. When you pay that price for a meal you expect delicious food. We also got the seafood dip appetizer and it was just ok. Flavoring is a big factor and we did not experience that at all. My husband had the rib eye. He said it was very tender, however has had much better on our grill.Special Features:
- Churchland High '57 Lady GradsLornaDined on 10/4/2013enjoyed their visit to Surf Club Ocean Grille. The staff bent over backwards to accommodate our every need. We were 13 strong with 'old lady' preferences. We were taken care of swiftly and warmly. My personal opinion is that the food has dropped several levels since the last time I visited and had dinner there. That evening many months ago the food reached a 4-star level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday brunchmiloVIPDined on 9/29/2013good price for nice sunday breakfast buffet, ocean viewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodJanBapDined on 7/16/2013Considering it's in the Wyndham Hotel, it's a good restaurant. We had a nice ocean-front table. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Dining WarningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2013We enjoyed a delicious meal on the outdoor patio for our last night at the beach, but were surprised when martini and wine were served in plastic cups. Our waitress told us they were not allowed to serve drinks in glasses on the outdoor patio. Looking around at the other diners, we noticed glass beer bottles, wine glasses being used at adjacent tables. After questioning the inconsistent policy, our waitress brought the drinks back in glasses (since it wasn't a windy night). Just wanted to make others aware of this policy, in case you don't like your drinks tasting like plastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- extras added to billluv2dineDined on 6/30/2013Beware -- My bill included a 20% service charge (for a party of 7), + tax, + 20% gratuity on top of that. Waitress tried to explain in a convoluted way. When I pressed on, she got the mgr involved. His attempts at back-pedaling were inane. He did remove the S/C ("it was a mistake") and another item or two for our trouble. But the vibe of the place and empty dining area tells me that this place is not what it used to be.
- Nice view with reasonable serviceNonicknameDined on 6/15/2013We had a direct view of the beach, which was nice. The lunch menu (mostly sandwiches) might have been a bit more expansive, but the food was tasty. Our wait staff was somewhat slow and unclear on side dishes, possibly new.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GIRLIE LUNCHEONwinedineDined on 6/10/2013i WAS THERE for llunch with 5 other ladies...a couple commented tht there used to be more salads on the menu and there was a salmon lunch dish that I used to get tht is no longer on the menu...so tht was a little disappointing...in fact it is on the online menu... 3 of us had the tuna/spinach/strawberry salad it was good but not great....the shrimp quesidia was great...the atmosphere of course is wonderful with the view of the ocean and beach and surfers!! the service is nice and friendly and comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was excellent,BryanDined on 4/25/2013The service was excellent, and the food was delicious. We had a table by the window overlooking the ocean, it was very beautiful. The place is clean and decorated nicely.Special Features:
- The service was good but thereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/15/2013The service was good but there were some issues with the meal. The chicken pot pie was loaded with black pepper. The pork chops were tough and dry. It was an ok experience, nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Great placejlandisDined on 3/16/2013We were in town for a half marathon... They catered to runners with a pasta bar special. The food was great and the atmosphere was amazing. Would definitely return to order from the regular menu!Special Features:
- Went back for dinner. Again,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013Went back for dinner. Again, I have to say the best view ever. Watched the sun set as we ate our dinner. The complimentary bread was amazing, none of us can stop thinking about it even while we had our main meal. My porkchops are in my all time top 3 of pork chops I've ever had. Also, was told the crab cake sandwich topped with a fried gren tomatoes was amazing and the angus burger was decent. The fries were unexpectedly addicting. Super thin shoestrings with awesome seasoning. Went on a Saturday night and still was only two other tables eating dinner. A hidden secret that needs to be discovered by all!Special Features:
- Went for lunch during restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/20/2013Went for lunch during restaurant week. The special menu wasn't more than soup, salad and sandwich that's why I can only rate the food as "good" The crab soup, cucumber salad and roast beef sandwich were good, but nothing stood out as must-have again. (The dinner menu looks delicious, we be back with an updated review for that.) At lunchtime on a Sunday, there were only 3 other tables with customers. So we all got the amazing booths with the best ocean view I've ever had in a restaurant, no boardwalk or people to obstruct the view, pure sand and ocean. That truly is why I am going back to this restaurant. The view could not be beat!Special Features:
- OK food but nothing special,VgabVIPDined on 11/10/2012OK food but nothing special, could get it in many other places. The nice view on the ocean compensates for everything else being averageSpecial Features:
- This place has been a localdine4funDined on 10/25/2012This place has been a local sleeper. Food is always good as is the service. Prices very reasonable, but there is never a crowd. Tried a new autumn menu dish that was excellent. Decent wine list and beautiful views. Will be back.Special Features:
- This was a great resturant.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2012This was a great resturant. However the night I had reservation they also had a private party, therefore the main resturant was closed. Our meal was still very good and will eat there again.Special Features:
- Well north of the hotel strip,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2012Well north of the hotel strip, Surf Club gets you away from the crowds and party-goers for a while. Offers a great beach view in an upscale, comfortable atmosphere. Food is not stellar, but it is a notch above nearby beach restaurants at more reasonable prices. The shrimp & calamari appetizer was just lightly breaded, with a tangy Thai sauce to perk it up. Food presentation is fabulous. I was not impressed with the the somewhat bland stuffed flounder, but the crab cakes were high quality with no filler, seasoned more boldly than the fish. I was pleasantly surprised by the prices, significantly less than I expected from a Wyndham-located restaurant. So, not a spectacular place, but certainly worth a visit for couples or families.Special Features:
- This was our first time atPellegrininoDined on 7/28/2012This was our first time at the Surf Club. The food quality was top notch. Dishes that sounded like typical beach/faux-gourmet fare turned out to be well crafted with fresh, zesty ingredients, beautifully presented, and altogether enjoyable. Chicken Wonton Salad (I had it without the dressing) was outstanding. The Ahi Tuna wrap was great. The crab cakes were the real deal. Service, on the other hand, was not quite up to par. Ambience could use an upgrade, too, at least outside -- we had a nice view of the ocean, but the space was not thoughtfully arranged (e.g., smokers congregating just behind our table). Next time, we'll try the tables inside along the window, which looked nice. We do plan to return for the food!Special Features:
- The Surf Club has been wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/8/2012The Surf Club has been wonderful to my husband and I. We were married at the Wyndham hotel in 2009 and have made it a tradition to go back every year for our anniversary. The Surf Club employees always make sure that we have a table with a beautiful view of the ocean and excellent service. This year I was 9 months pregnant on our anniversary and everyone was very attentive and sweet. They even treated us to a dessert and decorated the plate by writing "Happy 3rd Anniversary" in raspberry syrup! We will most certainly continue our tradition!Special Features:
- Great to get away from the stripDave81230Dined on 7/2/2012Great place... great staff. This place seems relatively new, still finding it's feet. It is away from the 'strip' of VA Beach, so that is actually great to get away from the flip-flops and sandy places down there and get yourself into a great scenery place with great wine and great food. highly recommended......Special Features:
- Food was excellent but waymargaretDined on 6/14/2012Food was excellent but way too much noise thart was very disconcerting. A large party, heavy drinking I suspect with many loud voices. Detracted from the beautiful view and setting.Special Features:
- Had brunch. Enjoyed a fabulousLaurieDined on 4/15/2012Had brunch. Enjoyed a fabulous crab cake and huge cobb salad.Special Features:
- Scallops and shrimp very tasty.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/17/2012Scallops and shrimp very tasty. Crab ravioli served very late and still frozen and it was the special. Crab bisque too thick and only fair. Wine portions small. Service very poor.Special Features:
- I attended the Wednesday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2012I attended the Wednesday night wine tasting, however, we did order a couple of appetizers fromt the menu which were very good. If I didn't check a box above, it's because it did not pertain to the event I was attending. However, I would be eager to go attend other dining options such as the brunch which I heard was great.Special Features:
- Lunch menu seemed limited.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/14/2011Lunch menu seemed limited. Cucumber salad not very good. Needed to be sweeter to take some of the bite out of the vinegar. Apparent labor problem with no show wait staff.Special Features:
- Breathtaking, Delicious, Amazing...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2011Everything from Start to Finish was AMAZING!Surf Club Ocean Grille is by far our favorite restaurant! From the Breathtaking Ocean Front View, to the Delicious Food, to the Amazing Wine List and the Gorgeous Ambiance... LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!Special Features:
- Tip: Don't go at night ifOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/12/2011Tip: Don't go at night if you are interested in a view of the ocean. What were we thinking? The cozy seats at the window left us staring at a reflection of ourselves all evening.
- Will Go Again!LornaDined on 10/8/2011Food was very good. Quantity was ample. Great spot for groups, especially for guests who are not local. Noise level was very nice for folks who wanted to converse and catch up with one another. Service could have been more attentive since there were few diners for lunch on this occasion.Special Features:
- A Friday Evening at the Surf ClubOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2011We made last-minute reservations, but could have gone without them. When we arrived, they politely asked us if we would mind waiting a few extra minutes, while they waited for a premium table to open up. It was worth it! There is a line of tables near the window that look out onto the ocean. And each of those tables is horseshoe-shaped, so that each seat at the table has the ocean view. The wait staff was very attentive, and the food was fantastic! Gourmet-style seafood, but in very generous portions. An extremely positive experience!Special Features: