Sur La Place
5105 MacArthur Blvd
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
Sur La Place
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://surlaplaceindc.com/
- Phone: (202) 237-1445
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Sur La Place
Sur La Place is a cozy, fine dining gem nestled in the renowned Palisades area of Washington D.C. A Product of its' sister restaurant, Mannequin Pis, located in Olney, Maryland, Sur La Places specializes in exquisite Belgian cuisine. With over 20 varieties of Mussels and over 30 varieties of fine Belgian beer, one comes to realize that Sur La Place is not your ordinary restaurant. The menu takes a trip through Belgium, from Grilled Duck Pate or Wild Boar and Cranberry Sausage to a Seafood Bouillabaisse with Gambass, Mussels, Salmon, Sea Scallops, and Lobster. Fantastic desserts and a fully stocked bar put the cap on a great experience. With its exposed brick, deep wood hues, and dark red drapery, Sur La Place is an excellent choice for a romantic date, a business meeting, or simply a fine night out in the city. It's knowledgeable and service oriented staff are always eager to serve you and we look forward to having you as our guest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sur La Place reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (34)romantic (21)special occasion (17)good for groups (12)notable wine list (7)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Fantastic array of mussel choices. We had "Pop eye" and "mushroom"--both excellent with crusty french baguette to sop up the broth. Lobster bisque is a winner, also. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodTGAAVIPDined on 11/21/2014Bouillabaisse was good, mussels were VERY good, and frites were amazingly good, as were all the chocolate desserts. Service is European. IF you are in a hurry, this is not the place for you. If you do not mind a leisurely meal, it is well worth a visit,I would recommend this to a friend.
- love itFOODIEVIPDined on 11/21/2014always consistent food. Service has really improved and i will continue returning to this local place. Mussels are the BEST in DCI would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceDisappointedDined on 11/15/2014The muscles were average although based on the menu, that was their specialty. The stew portion was very small for the $22 price. Side dishes cost extra. I looked for a side but could not find something that goes with a stew. However, the server was excellent!
- Highly recommended for Date NightwehopeDined on 11/9/2014Took a long-time friend there for dinner to check it out. We had a wonderful time. The service was not rushed and un-intrusive. The food was delicious. Will keep this in mind for a romantic occasion.Special Features:
- not impressedlovestoeat1Dined on 11/8/2014the appetizers and beer were tasty and fun. the entrees were overpriced and unimpressive. i ordered monkfish and scallops and received a small, dried out skewer of burned fish and scallops, probably two bites worth.Special Features:
- Warm and cozy!PetuniaDined on 11/7/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. The atmosphere is very warm and cozy. The food is hearty and full of flavor. I could eat here once a week!Special Features:
- FoodieCNDined on 11/6/2014A very different kind of neighborhood restaurant with good and unusual food (for DC), moderate prices, and an ambiance where one can talk and be understood by fellow diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- INTERESTING!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014I selected Sur La Place because of the French and Beligum influence. The service was surperb! I enjoyed the Leek Soup. I have always wanted to try Pleasant, so the Pleasant sausage with red cabbage was what we ordered. My friend described it as being INTERESTING! It was very favorful. Each manager was at our beck and call! We will be back to try the Rack of Lamb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014Our reservation was for 7:30; the restaurant was very busy. We ordered at about 7:40 and did not receive any food for an hour or so. The mussels were overcooked; small and tough. The striped bass was very tiny and overcooked and the side dishes were tired. Staff seemed to be overwhelmed.
- Cozy neighborhood spotDCfoodie1222VIPDined on 10/24/2014Serves fantastic sausages, nice variety of beers, and diverse selection of mussels. A nice place to have a good meal away from all of the hyped downtown restaurants.Special Features:
- Sunday1VIPDined on 10/17/2014Service was bad. The busboy ended up serving the food.
- PraiseshortyVIPDined on 10/17/2014Dinner for two at 6PM on Friday evening made for easy seating and great service. Salad was just enough for two to share. my wife's bouillabase was an ample serving and the " soup " was mouth watering. My " sea bass " was prepared well and the accompanying sauce was scrumptious. Personal contact with manager made for good P.R.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lackluster second visitFoodieWineGeekDined on 10/14/2014While the food was up to par from our fist visit, I'm sorry to say our entire group was underwhelmed this time. Service was markedly slow for a slow Tuesday evenng.Special Features:
- Horrible service - good foodDiningLadyDined on 10/3/2014Arrived at 6:20 p.m. and left at 8:20 p.m. as we needed to go to an event -- and we only had appetizers (salad, soup, escargots) and entrees (two had mussels, other person ordered a variety of sides) since there was no time for dessert. The three of us actually enjoyed the food that we had although we never had our water glasses filled unless one of us got up to find someone who would finally fill the glasses. One had an interesting beer but not asked if he wanted more. The inattention throughout the two hours was enough to make it that we will be unlikely to return despite enjoying the food once it arrived. BTW, no one ever stopped by to explain or apologize as to why the service was so poor or why the food took so long in coming out.Special Features:
- Ms. EatslyndadinerVIPDined on 9/30/2014this is a great neighborhood find. food is very good, better than et voila across the street. the mussels and pomme frites are better here as well. service has greatly improved. went on a monday and it was closed but no sign was there...i thought maybe they had closed. i am glad they haven't but they should put a sign up.Special Features:
- Great FoodDeeDeeDined on 9/21/2014We had dinner on a Sunday night, so it was very quiet. Sur la Place has a narrow long dining room, so on busy nights it may well be too noisy for us. The mussels were excellent; my dinner partner raved about the avocado/shrimp salad appetizer and his Flemish stew. We shared a chocolate mousse, which was delicious. Service was friendly and efficient; courses spaced just right. A great restaurant, just like it's sister place in Olney. Sur la Place is a bit more formal while the Olney restaurant is more typically Belgian pub. Both are great. DeeDeeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need more staffgood4uVIPDined on 9/20/2014It was a Saturday night and the place was pretty crowded. Our waiter never checked on us to see if our food was OK, we had to flag down (anyone) to get water refills, and we waited 15 minutes for our check. All of the staff were busy constantly. Normally, I'd give this place another shot, but the other factors (food, etc.) aren't really worth it.
- Mussels DisappointmentSparkyVIPDined on 9/20/2014Groupon had a special coupon (about 50% off) so it was an incentive to try this Belgium restaurant. If you are into Belgium beers, than you would be in mini heaven as the place has a wide variety of said beers. Personally, we prefer wine to beer and the selection of wines is rather limited. As to the food and especially the mussels, I was disappointed . There are about ten offerings of mussels and the one we chose was dull and devoid of taste. We shared one kilo of mussels and left quite a few in the pot. There is another Belgium restaurant across the street and their mussels are superior.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014We had a delightful dinner at Sur La Place. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Just an excellent find! Very consistent and yummy.Special Features:
- Glorious Mussels, Fantastic ServiceBrandrBVIPDined on 9/7/2014We dined here on a Groupon deal (mussels, pomme frites, and draft Belgian beers for two) but will definitely return thanks to the excellent service we received from our waiter, Derek. The creative mussel menu and excellent beer selections make Sur La Place a unique choice. Very good overall.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good musselsbobrVIPDined on 9/7/2014Mussels are decent, wish they were plumper. Fries a +. House salad very good and generously proportioned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FIND!McLeanEaterDined on 9/6/2014Worthy a trip .... easy parking, charming restaurant. And my moules were about the best I've ever had! There are plenty of other things on the enticing menu, but I went specifically for moules. And a yummy dessert. Nothing to not like about this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaneDined on 9/6/2014We always enjoy Sur La Place. It's a terrific neighborhood restaurant -- good food and good service.Special Features:
- PolentaDined on 9/5/2014Reliably very good food. Great menu and diversity. PolentaSpecial Features:
- Musty smellFLCarolVIPDined on 9/2/2014Slow service and a musty smell in the restaurant will keep us from making a return visit.
- pleasant dining experiencemimiatbethesdaVIPDined on 8/31/2014the waiting staff is friendly and helpful, the food is very tasty with good portion. we had mussels and pheasant sausage with fruity Belgian beer to go. the food was served efficiently, we did not wait long even the restaurant was very busy and almost full. we will visit again soon.Special Features:
- Great food, poor servicefoodisgoodDined on 8/29/2014For starters, the food was excellent. The service, however, was not. Server seemed distracted looking off in other directions as we placed our orders. A requested substitution was incorrectly executed, leaving the exact ingredient that I was attempting to avoid on the plate. Also, it seems they just don't have enough servers. It even took 15min. to get the check after asking 3 different people. It seems to be a neighborhood spot and again the food was very good...they do need to figure out a better system for servicing their tables though.Special Features:
- GrandmaKYummyDined on 8/28/2014Wonderful mussels and beer! The selection of mussels is awe some, and I love the distinctive beer glasses -- as well as the choice of beerSpecial Features:
- Enjoy the food and ambienceMarylandcrabDined on 8/26/2014As usual we enjoyed our meal and the ambience. Nice to see the restaurant filled to capacity. The staff did their best to serve everyone. We like leisurely dining so that us fine with us. We never feel rushed. Also enjoy that we can hear each other talk. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mussels, mussels, musselsmarikoDined on 8/23/2014imaginative chef has devised a huge variety of additives to disguise very fresh mussels.Special Features:
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/20/2014The food here was great! I shared a kilo of mussels with a friend. They have a huge variety of sauces and everything is delicious. The staff is very friendly and it's not too crowded in the middle of the week.Special Features:
- Consistently goodOpen2gooddiningDined on 8/20/2014This is a charming restaurant wih good atmosphere and food, plus a great selection of Belgian beer. Mussels are delicious, as is the seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sur La Place: The Place for MusselsJLSCTVIPDined on 8/20/2014C'est si bon! Sur la Place is a small & charming locale on MacArthur Boulevard NW. The big draw is the wide variety of Belgian beers, each served in a specific & individual type of beer glass, and their mussels. The "small" [1/2 kilo = 50 mussels] size @ $12 will satisfy most average appetites, although the "large" size @ $22 comes with the added bonus of free frites (You have to pay $6 extra for the frites with the "small" pot size, meaning the true cost is $18.] The crabcake w/ asparagus & orange salad was prettily plated and very good. The Mussels a la "Snob," were delicious and it's worth saving the French bread or the frites to dunk in the broth! Watch for frequent discounts via LivingSocial or Groupon & use Ebates to save extra money!Special Features:
- wonderfully large pot of musselsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014easy going, great beer selection, delicious and generous portion of mussels. all around good food and great valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a lovely dinner and eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/5/2014Other reviewers complained about the slow and indifferent service. but our experience was very pleasant. The food was very good, the service was attentive and timely, and, happily, the noise level was comfortable for conversation. Granted the restaurant wasn't very crowded the evening we were there; nevertheless, it suited us just perfectly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible service, mediocre foodDissatisfiedDined on 8/2/2014Waited 40 minutes for an salad due to a "computer being down" (??) after asking two to three times when it would be served. Then waited another 30 minutes for my salmon entree which was grossly undercooked and taken back to the kitchen. I went to manager and told him I would cancel my order, as my husband was finishing his entree, if it did not arrive in five minutes. This promoted the kitchen to prioritize my order. All the food and presentation was mediocre or below e.g. too much salt on the salmon and few vegetables. The manager did apologize and remove our two glasses of wine from the bill. I will never be back. There were only two servers and likely too much staff in the kitchen given our experience.
- MarkNearRFKVIPDined on 8/2/2014Our food was tasty and reasonably priced. But your lack of service added half an hour to the time that it took--more than 2 hours, without dessert. You should let customers know when they arrive that you have service problems (2 waiters short, supposedly) that will cause service to be slow so that they can decide how it would affect their evening plans.Special Features:
- Outstanding food!EricMgtVIPDined on 8/1/2014Mussels were a delight and chocolate desserts to die for...I would recommend this to a friend.