Sur La Place
5105 MacArthur Blvd
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
Sur La Place
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://surlaplaceindc.com/
- Phone: 2022371445x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Sur La Place
Sur La Place is a cozy, fine dining gem nestled in the renowned Palisades area of Washington D.C. A Product of its' sister restaurant, Mannequin Pis, located in Olney, Maryland, Sur La Places specializes in exquisite Belgian cuisine. With over 20 varieties of Mussels and over 30 varieties of fine Belgian beer, one comes to realize that Sur La Place is not your ordinary restaurant. The menu takes a trip through Belgium, from Grilled Duck Pate or Wild Boar and Cranberry Sausage to a Seafood Bouillabaisse with Gambass, Mussels, Salmon, Sea Scallops, and Lobster. Fantastic desserts and a fully stocked bar put the cap on a great experience. With its exposed brick, deep wood hues, and dark red drapery, Sur La Place is an excellent choice for a romantic date, a business meeting, or simply a fine night out in the city. It's knowledgeable and service oriented staff are always eager to serve you and we look forward to having you as our guest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sur La Place reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)fit for foodies (28)romantic (21)special occasion (14)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (4)notable wine list (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Need more staffgood4uVIPDined on 9/20/2014It was a Saturday night and the place was pretty crowded. Our waiter never checked on us to see if our food was OK, we had to flag down (anyone) to get water refills, and we waited 15 minutes for our check. All of the staff were busy constantly. Normally, I'd give this place another shot, but the other factors (food, etc.) aren't really worth it.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014We had a delightful dinner at Sur La Place. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Just an excellent find! Very consistent and yummy.Special Features:
- Glorious Mussels, Fantastic ServiceBrandrBVIPDined on 9/7/2014We dined here on a Groupon deal (mussels, pomme frites, and draft Belgian beers for two) but will definitely return thanks to the excellent service we received from our waiter, Derek. The creative mussel menu and excellent beer selections make Sur La Place a unique choice. Very good overall.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good musselsbobrVIPDined on 9/7/2014Mussels are decent, wish they were plumper. Fries a +. House salad very good and generously proportioned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FIND!McLeanEaterDined on 9/6/2014Worthy a trip .... easy parking, charming restaurant. And my moules were about the best I've ever had! There are plenty of other things on the enticing menu, but I went specifically for moules. And a yummy dessert. Nothing to not like about this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaneDined on 9/6/2014We always enjoy Sur La Place. It's a terrific neighborhood restaurant -- good food and good service.Special Features:
- PolentaDined on 9/5/2014Reliably very good food. Great menu and diversity. PolentaSpecial Features:
- Musty smellFLCarolVIPDined on 9/2/2014Slow service and a musty smell in the restaurant will keep us from making a return visit.
- Great food, poor servicefoodisgoodDined on 8/29/2014For starters, the food was excellent. The service, however, was not. Server seemed distracted looking off in other directions as we placed our orders. A requested substitution was incorrectly executed, leaving the exact ingredient that I was attempting to avoid on the plate. Also, it seems they just don't have enough servers. It even took 15min. to get the check after asking 3 different people. It seems to be a neighborhood spot and again the food was very good...they do need to figure out a better system for servicing their tables though.Special Features:
- GrandmaKYummyDined on 8/28/2014Wonderful mussels and beer! The selection of mussels is awe some, and I love the distinctive beer glasses -- as well as the choice of beerSpecial Features:
- Enjoy the food and ambienceMarylandcrabDined on 8/26/2014As usual we enjoyed our meal and the ambience. Nice to see the restaurant filled to capacity. The staff did their best to serve everyone. We like leisurely dining so that us fine with us. We never feel rushed. Also enjoy that we can hear each other talk. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mussels, mussels, musselsmarikoDined on 8/23/2014imaginative chef has devised a huge variety of additives to disguise very fresh mussels.Special Features:
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/20/2014The food here was great! I shared a kilo of mussels with a friend. They have a huge variety of sauces and everything is delicious. The staff is very friendly and it's not too crowded in the middle of the week.Special Features:
- Consistently goodOpen2gooddiningDined on 8/20/2014This is a charming restaurant wih good atmosphere and food, plus a great selection of Belgian beer. Mussels are delicious, as is the seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sur La Place: The Place for MusselsJLSCTVIPDined on 8/20/2014C'est si bon! Sur la Place is a small & charming locale on MacArthur Boulevard NW. The big draw is the wide variety of Belgian beers, each served in a specific & individual type of beer glass, and their mussels. The "small" [1/2 kilo = 50 mussels] size @ $12 will satisfy most average appetites, although the "large" size @ $22 comes with the added bonus of free frites (You have to pay $6 extra for the frites with the "small" pot size, meaning the true cost is $18.] The crabcake w/ asparagus & orange salad was prettily plated and very good. The Mussels a la "Snob," were delicious and it's worth saving the French bread or the frites to dunk in the broth! Watch for frequent discounts via LivingSocial or Groupon & use Ebates to save extra money!Special Features:
- wonderfully large pot of musselsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014easy going, great beer selection, delicious and generous portion of mussels. all around good food and great valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a lovely dinner and eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/5/2014Other reviewers complained about the slow and indifferent service. but our experience was very pleasant. The food was very good, the service was attentive and timely, and, happily, the noise level was comfortable for conversation. Granted the restaurant wasn't very crowded the evening we were there; nevertheless, it suited us just perfectly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible service, mediocre foodDissatisfiedDined on 8/2/2014Waited 40 minutes for an salad due to a "computer being down" (??) after asking two to three times when it would be served. Then waited another 30 minutes for my salmon entree which was grossly undercooked and taken back to the kitchen. I went to manager and told him I would cancel my order, as my husband was finishing his entree, if it did not arrive in five minutes. This promoted the kitchen to prioritize my order. All the food and presentation was mediocre or below e.g. too much salt on the salmon and few vegetables. The manager did apologize and remove our two glasses of wine from the bill. I will never be back. There were only two servers and likely too much staff in the kitchen given our experience.
- MarkNearRFKDined on 8/2/2014Our food was tasty and reasonably priced. But your lack of service added half an hour to the time that it took--more than 2 hours, without dessert. You should let customers know when they arrive that you have service problems (2 waiters short, supposedly) that will cause service to be slow so that they can decide how it would affect their evening plans.Special Features:
- Outstanding food!EricMgtVIPDined on 8/1/2014Mussels were a delight and chocolate desserts to die for...I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Place In The PalisadesKateMVIPDined on 8/1/2014I have been a fan of Sur la Place since my first visit. It truly is a neighborhood gem --friendly, excellent food, good service, not too noisy, and most importantly, a restaurant that wants its customers to be happy. Although I have always eaten there on Friday evenings, I have never felt at all rushed. This past Friday, there were four of us; we sat down at 6:30 and were there well over two hours, enjoying the meal and the conversation. I was surprised, in fact, when I got in my car and realized how long we had been there. My only (and (I underscore only) negative is that this restaurant has no non-alcoholic beer. PLEASE have one non-alcoholic beer available even if it is not Belgian beer!Special Features:
- A sweet spot in the Palisades...?tgindcVIPDined on 8/1/2014We had a voucher for 2 pots of mussels, 2 orders of fries, and two draft beers. Great service. The shocker: there were NO draft beers because all of their kegs were warm. They offered any beer on the menu instead. 2nd shocker: about half of their bottled beers were out of stock! My Belgian friends would be mortified! Most of the available bottled beers cost less than the better draft beers...a little bit tough to swallow. I ordered the Kwok beer, and it was very good. Our mussels were also great, and we had a nice time. We might go back, though we would go back a lot faster with another half-price voucher. And even then, I would call ahead to check on their beer selection that was actually in stock and chilled.I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice restaurant but thisessaryjackDined on 7/29/2014I find this to be very tiresome. I do not go to restaurants to write a paper on whatSpecial Features:
- LindaVIPDined on 7/26/2014Excellent food and attentive service! As returning customers, the highest of recommendations goes to the menu.Special Features:
- Food good/service is slowArcherVIPDined on 7/19/2014I've been to this restaurant several times. I keep returning because the mussel pots are very good & unique. Service has always been slow. Our server was new, and it took him about 20 minutes to come to our table. I find this to be the norm here. But, I will say that I really did like him. He was witty, charming and pleasant. My date and I both ordered the mussel pots, the bruxelles and the snob. I didn't care for the broth of the bruxelles (who knew you could go wrong with goat cheese, bacon, & bier), it just had no flavor, and was overpowered by the taste of the bier. The snob was amazing, it had a lobster bisque broth that was so good, I wanted to drink it straight from the pot, but I'm a lady, who was on a date, so I decided against it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeBeeeDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I went to Sur la Place with a Groupon that covered a kilo of mussels each, frites, and a draft beer. When they didn't have the draft beer I wanted, they were happy to replace it with a bottled beer that was outstanding. Our server was great although got a bit hard to find towards the end of the meal. The mussels were very tasty, although a bit small. The ambiance is lovely. We would definitely visit again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2014The food was very good, the service was attentive ,the decor was attractive - it all came together to create a very pleasant and enjoyable evening out after all the guests had left our home. Thank You.Special Features:
- Service needs some muscle.FoodSageDined on 7/5/2014While mussels are their specialty and members of our party were pleased with them, the service was less minimal than McDonalds and could use some more muscle power. No check backs, had to ask several times for things and generally took a long time to be noticed and served. The wait staff seemed unhappy. The menu had no accommodations for gluten free meals, and about one item for vegetarian, so it could use some attention to diversity in serving a mixed population that might be accompanying those who have the constitution to eat heartily and richly without consequences. The beer menu was large and wine menu adequate. The background music was too loud to hold a comfortable conversation.
- Excellent mussel dishesGourmondVIPDined on 7/2/2014Sur la Place specializes in Belgian dishes, especially mussels with a choice of a dozen or more broths all of which are excellent. My wife had the Snob broth which is based on lobster bisque and I had the Bruxelles broth which has herbs, bacon, onions, and goat cheese. Both were excellent and so good that when we were unable to finish the broth one of the owners offered to package the broth for us to take home--they both made an excellent soup for lunch the next day. Oh, I can't forget the frites--only the Belgians and French can make fries to die for and these were the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work your mussels!MusselsFreakDined on 7/2/2014Mussels, mussels, musses. I never knew mussels could be served soooo many ways. We tried mussels with wild mushrooms and with lobster bisque. Both were excellent. I'm already thinking of what to order next....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!REK1VIPDined on 6/29/2014Sur La Place is one of the hidden secrets of the Washington restaurant scene. I hesitate to say this because i don't want it overrun with people seeking out the sweetest little neighborhood place...with the best food...informal....and really friendly. From the minute you walk in the door you are treated with generosity and attention. The mussels and frites are great....and the bouilliabase is outstanding. But everything we've had at Sur La Place is wonderful. The avocado and shrimp cocktail is a wonderful treat. Do not miss this place. eat there once, and like it has for us, it will become one of your regular favorites.Special Features:
- Don't waste your time or $Scorpio8Dined on 6/28/2014Service was horrible and the mussels were overcooked. Had to ask for the waitress to order bc she never serviced our table ever.......
- One trick ponyRTS2Dined on 6/27/2014The mussels were great, the rest not so much. Marginal service, mediocre food, sloooow delivery. I would come again for the mussels and the Belgian beers, but that's it. The house special lobster bisque was Campbell's tomato soup with a little sherry and 2 small pieces of what I assume was lobster, they were still partially frozen so I couldn't really tell. The cocktail ordered was from a list of specials, it wasn't. An order error was carried over to the bill. A disappointing experience which didn't need to be, the kitchen was slow despite a small crowd and the server required that every request be repeated twice before there was any response. Wanted a nice evening, didn't get it here. Sigh!Special Features:
- Great MusselsemmaDined on 6/22/2014Many choices for mussels from coconut to spicy to more traditional flavoring. Interesting and delicious sides including brussels sprouts, braised cabbage, and, of course, pommes frittes which were especially delicious. Ecclectic beer selection. Good for older kids (maybe 10 or up) who will eat things other than pizza and chicken fingers. Wait staff was friendly, efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cooler pleaseDogeyedocDined on 6/20/2014Please up the air conditioning! Love the food, at reasonable prices. Also selection of Belgian beers!Special Features:
- worth a return visithankVIPDined on 6/15/2014went there on a Groupon for mussels...outstanding food and service. Definitely worth a repeat visit.
- ExcellentSteveDined on 6/15/2014The food was delicious and unusual. The beer list was extensive. The service was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and attentive. A great Fathers' Day meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding servicejenihansenVIPDined on 6/14/2014Every time we dine here, the service is outstanding. We were lucky enough to get one of the two outdoor dining tables and on a warm summer night, dinner at Sur la Place can't be beat.Special Features:
- five Belgian beers on taprazorburtVIPDined on 6/13/2014In addition to the five on tap, this quaint little spot had dozens of other Belgians in bottles on the menu. Of course the specialize in mussels but the steak I had was well cooked and a good cut.Special Features: