Sur La Place
5105 MacArthur Blvd
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
Sur La Place
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://surlaplaceindc.com/
- Phone: (202) 237-1445
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Sur La Place
Sur La Place is a cozy, fine dining gem nestled in the renowned Palisades area of Washington D.C. A Product of its' sister restaurant, Mannequin Pis, located in Olney, Maryland, Sur La Places specializes in exquisite Belgian cuisine. With over 20 varieties of Mussels and over 30 varieties of fine Belgian beer, one comes to realize that Sur La Place is not your ordinary restaurant. The menu takes a trip through Belgium, from Grilled Duck Pate or Wild Boar and Cranberry Sausage to a Seafood Bouillabaisse with Gambass, Mussels, Salmon, Sea Scallops, and Lobster. Fantastic desserts and a fully stocked bar put the cap on a great experience. With its exposed brick, deep wood hues, and dark red drapery, Sur La Place is an excellent choice for a romantic date, a business meeting, or simply a fine night out in the city. It's knowledgeable and service oriented staff are always eager to serve you and we look forward to having you as our guest.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sur La Place reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (33)romantic (21)special occasion (16)good for groups (12)notable wine list (7)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- great musselsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/4/2014Used a groupon---got great mussels, beer and fries. Our table was not ready when we arrived so we hung at the bar for 10-15 minutes--not bad. Server has helpful---beer selection was very good but pricey. We will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Belgian cuisine,reasonablIrnieVIPDined on 3/28/2014Very nice atmosphere. Good choice of beer and cuisine. Would have been much better if mussels were larger.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedSullidcVIPDined on 3/23/2014Mussels were delicious. Rack of lamb perfectly cooked and steak frites a cut above the usual. All for a price I thought was quite reasonable. Will be back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but the service...ScottDined on 3/22/2014We had a Groupon to use, and we asked our server if there were any restrictions on it as we showed it to her. She said there were none. We left the Groupon out on the table throughout dinner for her to see. When we paid the check, she came over and proceeded to tell us that we needed to show the Groupon when we were seated and that it caused her problems with the check to give her the Groupon after she had figured it the check (but not yet given it to us). We reminded her we had shown her the Groupon, but she went on about different Groupons for different times. She took the check back and came back right away with it. There is only one Groupon for 2 for a dinner on Saturday. It was a pleasant dinner marred by that lecture otherwise.Special Features:
- A big So-SoRay2youDined on 3/22/2014Quiet, comfortable place with a less than imaginative menu and so-so dishes. A party of 4 had varied experiences. Appetizers (2) were a hit and a miss. Main courses - Mussels were well received, fish dishes were mixed, one OK, the other bland, and the deserts were just short of horrible. Serves disappeared midway through the meal and had to be called at various stages of the meal.
- Stay Away!KathDined on 3/20/2014Terrible, slow service. Almost no vodka in a vodka and cranberry drink. Escargot was drenched in layers of Parmesan cheese; couldn't even find the snails. They got our meal completely wrong and only brought one entree. There were wild mushrooms in the "wild mushroom mussels". The Bernaise sauce for the steak entree that eventually came was awful! Will never go back. It's a shame bc the sister restaurant in Olney is wonderful. Sur la Place wasn't even worth the 50% off Groupon. Go to the Belgian restaurant across the street in Palisades instead. We decided to go there for dessert just to compare. It was night and day-will go there for dinner next time.
- Excellent Saturday Night DinnerDistrictChicDined on 3/8/2014Sur La Place was a quiet restaurant with delicious food and an amazing beer selection. I will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- food was very good, the waiterfoodieDined on 3/1/2014food was very good, the waiter was very nice but service is extremely slow.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!!ReynoldsVIPDined on 2/25/2014Wonderful mussels, frites and service! We were there again on a very quiet night. Even found a great parking spot. Perfect evening with friends.Special Features:
- We like the ambience of thisMauraDined on 2/14/2014We like the ambience of this restaurant, but the service tends to be slow. On Valentine's Day, they were completely overwhelmed. They brought out the wrong appetizers, and it took another 20 minutes to correct it. Then our main course took almost an hour to arrive. The food was as good as always, but service really matters.
- Service - There Was None!BigPhil1VIPDined on 2/14/2014Went for a nice dinner on Valentine's Day. Was seated promptly, so I thought service would be no problem. We finished our drinks before the appetizers 9or bread) came, but no waiter. Finally the first course and bread arrive after 55 minutes. the entrees arrive 1:45 after we arrived at the restaurant, but my rare to medium rare steak comes medium, so I send it back. It finally arrives 20+ minutes later after my guest had finished her meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful local gemlondonlandDined on 2/11/2014We love this restaurant. The food is consistently excellent and it's well priced. Service is terrific. The beer selection make for a very interesting evening ! And the ambiance and decor is quiet but reminiscent of a quaint French/Belgian bistro. Just a super little restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great place to meetOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/11/2014Always a great place to meet friends, have a very good meal, and be served by a delightful staff. Small, neighborhood restaurant - Belgian - so mussels list is extensive - as is the beer list. But something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding mussels andwendelajfVIPDined on 2/9/2014I was greeted by a warm smile and seated right away at a nice table comfortable for the size of my party. the service was excellent and the food was delicious. we had several salads, crisp greens with all fresh and flavorful ingredients. we each had different mussel dish and they were all superb. the portions (even half mile) were quite filling.Special Features:
- The food is outstanding! WeLindaVIPDined on 2/8/2014The food is outstanding! We enjoy our visit every time.Special Features:
- A bit over priced but wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/7/2014A bit over priced but would go again if I had a groupon. The mussels and pomme frites were excellent. Salad and mushroom appetizer were average. Ambience is very nice. It was nice and warm inside on a cold winter night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the money!eddieVIPDined on 2/1/2014Lots of tasteless food was the keynote of our visit compounded by nonexistent service. No, we would not go back.
- Senior ScientistfriendandIDined on 2/1/2014Great food and dinner was delicious, but waiter couldn't remember our drink order and also didn't remember that we had ordered and appetizer. (use a pencil and write it down, is my suggestion)! The main courses were all correct, different and tasty.
- Outstanding MusselsRonGVIPDined on 1/25/2014The vast variety of mussel preparations has something for everyone. The portions were huge. We also enjoyed the escargots and the hearts of palm salad appetizers. The room was quaint and relatively quiet--much better the the Belgian restaurant across the street. The only negative was the service--if it wasn't for the manager, we might still be waiting to order dessert (also very tasty). We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceMarylandcrabDined on 1/23/2014I had read in many reviews that the food was very good but the service was slow and lackluster. We were promptly seated and well looked after throughout the meal. When I left, after bundling up for the cold , I heard some one running behind me. It was our waiter with my purse. Now that is great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen problemBitaMVIPDined on 1/18/2014We had to wait 45 min for our entree after we waited 30 min for our soup and salad. Clearly kitchen problems. The waiter and staff were nice. Food was mediocre, nothing out if this world. The redtaurant is cozy and inside is inviting , but they could do better with their time management and food quality.
- Excellent food/wonderful ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014Sur La Place never fails to have impeccable food and a wonderful atmosphere that allows for a great dining experience. We went there for an anniversary, and it made it that much more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palasides GemCPAfoodieVIPDined on 1/18/2014This was our first time dining at this restaurant. Our experience was consistent with other reviews. The food was very good but the service was lackluster. We weren't ignored but the server just seemed disinterested. They do have a really good beer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sur la placeDCfoodpornoDined on 1/17/2014Great Belgian food in a cozy well-lit space. Very attentive service. No complaintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad servicefoodloverVIPDined on 1/17/2014Went there for restaurant week. The food is great! Everything was really tasty and the portions were a very good size. My compliments to the chef! The beer menu is also fantastic and full of great belgium selections. The service, however, was terrible. I wouldn't hesitate recommending this place, but I would warn that you should be prepared for a 2 hour dinner. Also be prepared to hunt down your waitress frequently, because she's not going to notice that you're ready to order, your beer glass is empty, or your plate has been cleaned and you're ready to leave. We had to ask for our tab three times. She'll probably also act annoyed at you for interrupting her conversation with another waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels are superb, and multipleKarenJDined on 1/17/2014Mussels are superb, and multiple preparations are available. Many different beers and ales are on the beverage menu. Food prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightAmocomidaVIPDined on 1/16/2014We had mussels and the restaurant week menu. Great beer! Tasty beef stew and delicious chocolate mousse! Service was a bit slow but good experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most indifferent waitressmanfrommdVIPDined on 1/11/2014The atmosphere was probably spoiled by the most indifferent waitress I had ever encountered. Although the food was decent (not great, but good enough), it would have been nice if our waitress seemed to care. There was no checking to see if we wished to order a second round of drinks, nor was there any follow up once the meal was served. Honey, if you don't want to be there, get another job!
- Fabulous food! That's allLindaVIPDined on 1/11/2014Fabulous food! That's all that needs to be said. We have dined many times, eating a variety of dishes and every one of them are scrumptious. The wait staff is friendly and very helpful. Without question, we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food excellent...FOODIEVIPDined on 1/11/2014Since it was a Sat night, I can understand a busy restaurant (which this was). The food was very good as usual, but it took too long to order, to receive our food...but more important, to find a waiter. we had to go up to him at the bar to remind him to bring our wine. they were clearly understaffed but this was silly... I felt badly for the waiter but he was a bit aloof.
- Great EveningwehadfunDined on 1/7/2014This was our first visit to Sur La Place. From the website we expected it to be much more formal, and we were pleasantly surprised to see the more rustic décor and informal ambience. The service was just right - the servers were efficient and attentive but did not interrupt our meal by asking how everything was, as we've experienced elsewhere. The food was outstanding - innovative and delicious. We will certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy tasty favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/4/2014Cozy and inviting.... The food is always very good, lovely way to share a meal with friends or a date. Escargot and chocolate pot de creme are great ways to start and end your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected much more5750VIPDined on 1/4/2014My wife and I were excited to try this restaurant but we left very disappointed. My wife's lobster bisque should have been called lobster broth because it sure wasn't bisque. We shared the monkfish and scallops which had too much seasoning including rosemary. I guess that is something people like nowadays we prefer to taste the fish, not the seasoning. However our biggest disappointment was the brussel sprouts and bacon. Foolishly I expected to be served....brussel sprouts and bacon. Instead I got a few brussel sprouts, very little bacon and whole lot of other vegetables that I didn't want and which completely changed the taste of the dish. The dish should have been called $6 mixed vegetables.
- Slow serviceFoodCriticVIPDined on 12/31/2013Food is excellent but the service is extremely slow unfortunately.Special Features:
- Belgiums Best but Poor ServiceBillDined on 12/31/2013I have eaten twice here and the first time service was exemplary. It should have been as few were there. New Year's Even we were handed a menu with no prices and the waiter did not bother to explain that it was a special prix fix for the evening, It finally came out when we tried to slip an order. He sent out the wrong salads, neglected our water and forgot out deserts. I had to ask the manager. This is not typical of a European restaurant which are masters of service. I'll go once more, but if it happens again I will not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a varied groupAdventuresInFoodDined on 12/24/2013Sur La Place has wonderful mussels of course, but it also has a wide enough variety of interesting food that satisfied everyone, from the small appetites of a few seniors, to starving teenagers. Very relaxed service, meaning they don't rush you out the door to seat the next group. If you like beer, this place has a very interesting and extensive list. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not return, very expensiveelizDined on 12/24/2013Will not return, very expensive for what it is, food was very average as was the service and we were the only one's there for a while. Wanted to go to Et Voila, but couldn't get a reservation so went here as had never tried it. Will not go back.
- We have been many times andjackDined on 12/21/2013We have been many times and enjoy our visit with the excellent service, delicious food and friendly atmosphere.Special Features:
- Didn't DeliverOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/20/2013The service was slow, the wine list minimal and they did not have the one wine that we wanted. We tried 3 different reds and none were that good.
- Always reliableItaliofilVIPDined on 12/20/2013Excellent steak frites. Meat cooked just as I asked. Happy to learn that a new menu will debut in January. One will be able to get less than a kilo of mussels, which is good for the individual with a mussel craving and no one to share with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.