Sunset Grille - Chestnut Mountain
8700 West Chestnut Road
Galena, IL 61036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sunset Grille - Chestnut Mountain
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.chestnutmtn.com/restaurants_sunsetgrille.cfm
- Phone: (815) 777-4660
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Frank Gray
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Several options availalbe, see banquet menu online at www.chestnutmtn.com
- Private Party Facilities: Several banquet rooms available, see website.
- Private Party Contact: Joan 8157774683x
A word from Sunset Grille - Chestnut Mountain
The Sunset Grille is a refreshing fine dining experience, where the view is almost as spectacular as the food. Perched high on a bluff, and featuring a 1,400 sq ft outdoor dining deck overlooking the Upper Mississippi River Valley, the restaurant offers a little bit of everything. From signature sandwiches, mouth watering steaks, to fresh seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sunset Grille - Chestnut Mountain - Best Restaurants in Galena ›
Sunset Grille - Chestnut Mountain reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (15)great for outdoor dining (12)special occasion (7)romantic (5)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Neither dinner was worth the menu price compared to other restaurants within the area. Ambience was pleasurable if you were seated before sunset however, the table centerpieces were campy and messy little crafts with exposed glue... Not fine dining quality at all. Also, I was very disappointed to see the wine list lacked any local wines! Not even from the greater midwest! I found that really surprising considering how heavily advertised Chesnut is all over the area..and by other businesses. I would not recommend Sunset Grille. I love staying at the lodge but there are too many great restaurants in Galena to waste your money on this one.Special Features:
- Wrong time of yearPattyannDined on 10/23/2014We visited Galena in October and stayed at the lodge were the Sunset Grill is located. While in a beautiful setting right on the Mississippi River, it rained the day we ate dinner there so no sunset to view. Not their fault of course, but apparently since there were few people they don't really open the dining room and we had to track down someone to figure that out. So we were seated in the grill right next door but ordered from the restaurant menu. While the food was good (I had Chicken Fusilli in a basil cream sauce) it was pricy - especially for sitting at a formica topped table and using paper napkins. This is a ski lodge and I'm sure in winter the experience would have been more satisfying as the actual restaurant looked nice.Special Features:
- Awesome!!!!!GalenaDined on 10/10/2014Sunset Grille is all around awesome, from the breathtaking view to the awesome waite staff. The service and food cannot be beat.Special Features:
- OuchOuchELSDined on 10/5/2014I was very excited to enjoy a special dinner with my wife, soaking in the view and drink. I ordered ribs, she ordered Salmon. The ribs were over cooked, tasteless and covered in a thick basting of a burnt bbq substance (guess to cover up the taste of the rib meat). The Salmon was over cooked, dry, tasteless as well, and even grayish in the interior,(old fish) not pink, tough. The baked potato was great.Special Features:
- Good food, Great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Our food was very good, service was outstanding and the view from the outside deck was priceless.Special Features:
- Food was a little disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The view was wonderful. We were disappointed in the food. Staff was great. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Beautiful view of the sunset over the Mississippi River; however, if you want a table outside you must request it with your reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- schmidtyDined on 8/24/2014Beautiful view. great service. wonderfull food and food presentationSpecial Features:
- Steve Orland Park, ILSteveNVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had dinner at sunset. It was beautiful. The food, service and drinks were great. This was one of the highlights of our trip to Galena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and locationGirlwkndawayDined on 8/20/2014The view was spectacular during dinner. The NY strip was bland and could have used some seasoning but cooked as ordered. The scallops with mango salsa were outstanding! My only disappointment was the service. There were only 3 tables full and our service was very slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on a mountainlinusDined on 8/1/2014It was an awesome place and the food was fantastic!Special Features:
- The following 136 reviews are from the Sunset Grille - Chestnut Mountain reviews archive.
- Nice dinner with a view of ol' MissBernieBDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed a hearty dinner of grilled Mahi Mahi with a dill based sauce and baby back ribs with meat that almost fell off the bone. The vegetable mix was nicely spiced; the red peppers, asparagus, and broccoli had just enough bite without being overbearing.Special Features:
- Great outdoor dining with a view!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2014We were a party of six for dinner on Fathers Day. We sat outdoors for the beautiful view of the Mississippi River. The service was very good. The food was delicious. The kale, spinach, mushroom egg drop soup was very good. Most of my group had the baked walleye with a lemon dill sauce. Everyone was happy with that choice. I had the southwest salad with grilled chicken, which never disappoints. We enjoy taking the scenic drive here. Or come by boat. Ride the Alpine slide after dinner!Special Features:
- Amazing ReviewSunny1Dined on 6/7/2014I wanted my friends to experience the Mississippi River during lunch and this was the first place everyone in Galena referred us to. The Walleye appetizer was fabulous but it was the view that took our breath away. A must try. But there is also plenty for the kids to do and eat as well.Special Features:
- gorgeous view. no food.BKBKVIPDined on 5/10/2014Excellent view over Mississippi, with gorgeous sunset. Otherwise than that, there is no restaurant: all food is poorly prepared, over salty, not interesting. Service is average too poor as well.Special Features:
- Great findLuvfoodDined on 5/3/2014We tried Sunset Grill for the first time to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were so pleased with the beautiful view, the wonderful food, and the great service. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open Table menu didn't match seasonOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014the menu found on OpenTable did not match what was currently offer due to this season. we had pick the restaurant due to the menu but we're quite disappointed to find most of those offerings not available at the time of our Visit. management however did a nice job of paying for drinks and appetizer to make up for the disappointment in lack of selection at the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too badinsearchofDined on 4/25/2014We chose this restaurant specifically for the view. Unfortunately it was partially blocked by outdoor furniture stacked on the patio. Sad that this place doesn't capitalize on this feature, as there are few places to access the Mississippi when in the Galena area. The food was disappointing. Ordinary bar food. Service ordinary. The restaurant atmosphere felt like a banquet room at Holiday Inn. I would go back again...but only in the summer to sit on the patio with a beverage for the sunset. Period.Special Features:
- Perfect for getawayKratyDined on 3/8/2014When staying at Chestnut Mountain I would recommend skipping the drive into Galena and getting dinner at this wonderful, decently priced gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Location-good foodeks321VIPDined on 1/24/2014Food is good. It is quiet unless you happen to have a family with little children around. Kevin and Maureen (servers) are both fabulous and go above and beyond to provide great service. Definitely recommend. When the weather is good, it is great to sit out and watch the sunset.Special Features:
- Great experiencenoniVIPDined on 11/30/2013Our first time to the mountain - and everything was as described online. The food was excellent, the service was great and the view of the mountain was beautiful, skiers and snowboarders alike. We'd definitely come back when we are in galena.Special Features:
- nice placeharkanDined on 11/28/2013The food was good, the service was outstanding and I would come back when in the Galena area.Special Features:
- We arrived early for dinnerRussellVIPDined on 11/28/2013We arrived early for dinner and really enjoyed seeing the sunset, beautiful as promised. Our whole party chose the traditional turkey thanksgiving dinner menu, and it was quite tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxing ambiancednllovesitDined on 10/23/2013Just being able to enjoy the view of the Mississippi River and great food good wine, life is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceLovegoodserviceDined on 10/19/2013The service with check in was great they were able to add another couple to our reservation with no problem. Here is the thing about the service, We were given an entree menu and not a complete overall menu as we were looking to eat something lighter for dinner because we had been munching all day in town. We did ask for the menu with sandwiches and such. The waitress that we had only made a few passes by our table during the course of our meal and those visits were spread far apart. I can say the food was delicious and would recommend this establishment to anyone that wants to eat good food, but not if they're looking to waited on with more attentiveness. I do feel that they were understaffed for the busy weekendSpecial Features:
- The FoodConnieDined on 10/18/2013I had the salmon and it was so tasty!!!! Dinner was excellent. My husband had the broiled walleye and it was delicious also. We had a great experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem on the Mt.dinnerdelightDined on 10/18/2013What a perfect setting for a sunset dinner. The view was sunsational with the Mississippi River's pantoramic view. The food was great. We had the broiled Walleye with Horseradish sauce potatoes and singed green beens. The server was very friendly and tended to our every need. We had made reservations for a window view in advance which I would suggest. A very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!KathieDined on 10/12/2013There were five ladies in our group for dinner. The atmosphere and decor were lovely. View of sunset, great! We all ordered different dinners and were all very satified with the meals. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience for Romantic MealGoodMealDined on 10/11/2013My wife and I heartily enjoyed every aspect of the dining experience. The food was great, the ambience was great, the server was wonderful and the view was phenomenal! Immediately after we finished dining we sent messages to our friends and family letting them know what a wonderful experience we had and encouraging them to come up and enjoy an evening as we did. So many of our dining experiences have been at best on par and at worst a disaster - it was truly a great surprise to find and experience the dining at the Sunset Grille - Chestnut Mountain! HIGHLY recommended to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice time at Sunset GrilleKrisDined on 10/11/2013I turned 50 the week before our visit, which was the reason for our 'getaway'. Had a reservation at 6:00 and timed it perfectly to watch a beautiful sunset from the outdoor dining area. Food and service was fantastic. The menu is not extensive, but very adequate -- we both had filet mignon and they were served perfectly medium-rare as requested. Highly recommend. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful scenery and generousOnVacationDined on 9/30/2013Beautiful scenery and generous salads. Food quality was good but not exceptional. Sunset over Mississippi was very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anninversary Dinnerourtime2getherDined on 9/28/2013We enjoyed a wonderful evening celebrating our wedding anniversay. Our request for a quiet table was honored and the service was prompt, polite and professional.Even though we did not get to see a beautiful sunset due to overcast weather we had a remarkable time together. They remembered that it was a special occassion for us and treated us well. Our waitress really made our night a memorable experience when she wished us "Happy Anniversary." It was so nice that they had paid special attention to our reservation because we did not mention to them that we were celebrating our anniversay. We look forward to another romantic night out at the Sunset Grille and hope to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cluster f.markie59Dined on 9/14/2013Hostess decided to take a 10 minute phone call while we stood waiting. It took 25 mins between arrival and being served a drink..yes we had reservation. Waiter finally figured no one was assigned to our area. Food so so..you are paying 25 bucks per entree for the view..not the food. Will probably not returnSpecial Features:
- Excellent dining experienceluv2vacaDined on 9/13/2013We celebrated our anniversary at Sunset Grille. We had reservations at 7, which was perfect for a 7:23 pm sunset. The view ws spectacular. The food and wine was great and our service was excellent. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- now more than just a great viewCaptKirkVIPDined on 8/31/2013My wife and I have been eating here every time we are in Galena, it has been nice to watch this restaurant improve in the areas of service and food. It now has both those to match the million dollar views. Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- The view is fantastic. HighlyPapageorgioDined on 8/23/2013The view is fantastic. Highly reccomend sitting outside to enjoy that. Food was also pretty good. I recommend their walleyeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View-Mediocre Everything ElseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2013The main reason to go to this restaurant is the beautiful scenic view. The food is good, not great. The service has some kinks to work out (took forever to get that first cocktail, which is a BIG faux pas, and then also took forever to get the check). The ambiance is really the star of the show here. Very romantic and beautiful with quiet music playing on the outdoor deck. Definitely request a table on the outdoor deck (assuming it's not winter) - that's what this place is all about.Special Features:
- Sunset diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2013We were seated on the outdoor patio and enjoyed a beautiful sunset as we dined. Very relaxed atmosphere, not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always very good bubaskaDined on 8/10/2013Food is always very good bu service is usually slow and we always have to look for our wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Sunset DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2013Made reservations in advance and were seated at table overlooking Mississippi river as the sun went down. Very beautiful and romantic. We paced our meal, starting with bruschetta appetizer. The waiter was very accommodating as we decided to share the summer special salad that included blueberries and strawberries. It was outstanding. I had the pork ribeye with blackberries which was very good. My wife had the stuffed chicken with risotto special which was outstanding. We highly recommend the chicken. Our waiter packed our cherry pie desert that is made locally for us to take with us. When we got back to our B&B room we enjoyed the tart cherry pie with the delicious ice cream accompaniment. We'll definitely be back! Waiter & staff excellent!Special Features: