Sunset Grill - Kansas
14577 Metcalf Ave
Overland Park, KS 66223Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sunset Grill - Kansas
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sunsetgrillrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9136811722
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00AM - 1:30PM
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Satuday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Sunset Grill offers many catering options for all types of events. Please take a look at our catering menus.
- Entertainment: Live music and Events!
A word from Sunset Grill - Kansas
Welcome to Sunset Grill!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sunset Grill - Kansas reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)vibrant bar scene (2)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- CatbackerVIPDined on 7/11/2014We had a party of 8 that arrived at 8:45. We had a wonderful meal and great service. We were, however, forced to eat outside. They have live music on Fridays. They are TOO LOUD! Band was good, but too loud for a small space. Will only go back when there isn't live music.Special Features:
- Happy with our selectionunderstanding2Dined on 7/8/2014I called Sunset Grill because we were celebrating my husband's birthday. I got us in (all 11 of us) on pretty short notice. We were happy that we were in the Bar, because the restaurant part is very dark. The food was excellent and we're so fortunate to have Sunset Grill right in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- Just averagefoodieVIPDined on 6/25/2014Its been a while since my last visit - now I know why. Food is less than average. I had a spinach salad thinking you can't mess that up, however, I was wrong. Spinach was straight out of a bag, like you get at the supermarket. Unfortunately, it was way past its expiration date. Most of the leaves were limp and dark stops underneath. The dressing was flavorless. I did not say anything to the wait staff, but will not return.Special Features:
- CatbackerVIPDined on 6/14/2014We had a perry of 10 and they accommodated us very well! Service was great as was the food. They did have live music in the bar and even though we were in the restaurant, it was very loud. Much nicer atmosphere when the singers were on break. Music was a great touch, they were just too loud.Special Features:
- FavoriteMarqVIPDined on 6/10/2014This is one of our favorite places for lunch, dinner and weekend breakfast. Great menu and friendly servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden TreasureOPguyDined on 6/8/2014Sunset Grill must be doing something right being in business since 2004 and I admit I had no idea it was there. I am very excited that I have discovered what so many other folks already know: Sunset Grill is the place to go for good food and an excellent setting. Relaxed and comfortable I am looking forward to exploring the entire menu as well as their well stocked bar.Special Features:
- The following 62 reviews are from the Sunset Grill - Kansas reviews archive.
- Great service, overpriced foodakgasmDined on 5/22/2014This was our first visit to Sunset for dinner. The menu has a nice selection but definitely overpriced. Tasty teriyaki chicken but not for the dinner price. The fish tacos were small and tasteless and ridiculously priced. Rice was not good either. The kids menu was decent but priced too high priced as well. Add a dollar to add one meatball on the kids' spaghetti!!! Seriously? Our service was excellent. The bar seating is more interesting than the main dining area for sure. Overall a decent place, but I recommend it more for lunch if you go at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our wait staff did great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/13/2014Our wait staff did great. She was friendly, very quick and kept up with our growing groupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great!Five4kcDined on 12/20/2013Love the Sunset Grill. Food is always good and portion sizes are more than adequate. Servers are always pleasant and friendly and non-intrusive. A favorite spot for lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining experienceKevinDined on 7/13/2013The food/drink and service was very good. I would recommend the restaurant to friends looking for reasonably priced broad spectrum menu. The APPS & Salads were as good as the entres.Special Features:
- Enjoyed MyselfKCLongDined on 6/16/2013I didnt have anyone to ask about this place but I took a gamble and took my husband there for Father's Day. He wanted to go somewhere he had never been before. The service was great and I really liked the food. Nothing to complain about. I am a real foodie and this one made my list! I will return.Special Features:
- Food was good enough to meritOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2013Food was good enough to merit return. Asparagus was just a bit too much stem and toughness but the rest of the meal and other meals were quite good ranging from shrimp to chicken. Outstanding music that made a real addition to the evening. They would play well on the patio also and the music fit well with the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/1/2013I was disappointed to find that Sunset Grille had run out of salmon by 7 pm on a Saturday night. The could also expand their wine list to include a few more choices by the glass. Otherwise, this is a lovely neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went in for Mother's Day,KateDined on 5/12/2013We went in for Mother's Day, after making reservations for 10. They had our table ready and the server was right there the entire time. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SunsetLarryDined on 5/5/2013We had several children with us and the magician was a highlight for them. They had our table ready on arrival so that helped with the children also. Overall, a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This a great neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013This a great neighborhood place if i want to bring the kids. The food is always good and the waiter was really good and able to handle a large group with 8 kids and only 3 adults!!Special Features:
- Our first visit to this restaurantHeartlanderVIPDined on 4/6/2013Our first visit to this restaurant was much better than this one. This time server kept disappearing and our food delivered too rare. It was corrected but not after having to wait a while. Want to give it one more try and determine which visit is closer to what's to be expected. And, would love to know where in the heck the server was hiding!
- My family loved the food butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/31/2013My family loved the food but especially loved our waiter Zach. He was quite possibility the best server we have had in recent years. You should give him a raise and have him teach your new help. Made our Easter brunch memorable. Way to Go Zach and Way to Go Sunset Grill! We shall return.Special Features:
- The Foot is usually very good,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/30/2013The Foot is usually very good, but there were a couple of problems this time and slow service. The manager did take care of things and was very nice.
- Quality food in a diner atmosphere.HeartlanderVIPDined on 2/16/2013This was our first time there and really enjoyed it. While it has what we would call a 'diner' atmosphere we were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food and plan to return.
- had a newer waitress thatGroupof6Dined on 2/15/2013had a newer waitress that was unsupervised. We had 5 people in the group and 3 of 5 orders came out incorrect and when it was brought up and management was brought in they also made mistakes. 1 didn't seem to know that another was taking care of it. Soup they said was out was miraculously brought to the table. It was all finally resolved but what a mess. No charges were removed nor was dessert or future discounts suggested for tall the problems
- This was the perfect locationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013This was the perfect location for our family to gather on Valentine's Day. We wanted a place that took reservations because one grandchild is a active toddler. We were seated immediately. We liked the nice variety of dishes and the relaxed atmosphere. We found interesting and tasty selections for all in our party. Due to the children, we did not stay for the live music, but we would definitely recommend Sunset Grill for casual family dining.Special Features:
- Good Neighborhood RestaurantTheOldDufferDined on 2/2/2013Hadn't been here in years and decided to have dinner with friends that was close to home. We were happy with the experience overall and enjoyed the meal. Service was good - my common complaint is that the server kept asking "are you still working on that".
- Sunset Grill is absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/27/2013Sunset Grill is absolutely a neighborhood gem. Breakfast is my favorite. Only served on weekends, should be an everyday event. Forget First Watch of LePeep - this is a wonderful, home cooked meal. And ask for Alissa (Ali)- she's the best. BTW, I am NOT an employee or owner, just a fan.Special Features:
- Great breakfast. Very pleasantMarqVIPDined on 12/30/2012Great breakfast. Very pleasant people and good hot food.Special Features:
- The Tuna steak which I orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2012The Tuna steak which I ordered Medium, was brown through and through - no pink anywhere. The Meat was dry, tough, and so salty that it affected the taste of the other food items, and made the Wine burn in my mouth. Had I known they had a band I would have gone elsewhere. The band was so loud it was impossible to carry on a normal conversation with friends.
- Why we like the Sunset GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2012Sunset Grill is an old reliable when we don't want to cook at home. It is usually easy to get a table and the wait staff is always helpful, attentive and polite (yes, being polite still counts). The food is very reasonably priced and well prepared. You can get a nice steak for a very reasonable price. Try the Hawaiian Skewers or the Volcanic Pasta...very good! The other menu offerings are diverse and can appeal to just about every appetite. Very highly recommended for dining out with friends or the family.Special Features:
- Great theme ambiance tuckedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2012Great theme ambiance tucked in a strip shopping center. The food was simply perfect; great service; well stocked bar.Special Features:
- Good Friends-Good Food-Great ServicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2012It was great to have a place where 9 of us can meet and be comfortable. Not everyone showed up, but we still had a good time, a great dinner, and will definately be back.Special Features:
- Food was fine. Server wasfoodieVIPDined on 9/18/2012Food was fine. Server was very efficient and friendly. Have eaten here before and will probably return.Special Features:
- Paradise salad with shrimpiLo823VIPDined on 8/26/2012Paradise salad with shrimp is wonderful! Great flavors! And if you like coconut, the Toasted Coconut Colada is great - but ask them to use only coconut rum when they're making it.Special Features:
- Great for a family night out.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2012Great for a family night out. Great food, casual, nice atmosphere. A little noisy perhaps, but a great choice with kids.Special Features:
- Was visiting Kansas City andmarkusDined on 8/4/2012Was visiting Kansas City and decided to try the Sunset Grill. Food was excellent, and there was a wide variety, definitely something for everybody. (sweet potatoe fries were especially different and delicious) The service was the best I have had in a LONG time and the overall experience was just flat out enjoyable. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Noisy, good neighborhood restauranteatahDined on 8/3/2012Noisy, good neighborhood restaurant for dining. Big bar, live entertainment.Special Features:
- Give it a tryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2012All the food at dinner was excellent. A real bargain is the steak sandwich which was superb. We also went back for brunch on Sunday. Even though it was a Sunday because of the design of the restaruant it was very noisy. The food was good but not as good as the dinner. We had the spinach omelet and the omelet was not fluffy and the hollandaise sauce seemed to have broken in its preperation. The rest of the meal was good but nothing you could say was outstanding. The service on Sunday was not as attentive as it was on Saturday evening. Overall a very nice place if you don't mind a higher noise level. We will go back again.Special Features:
- the food is always consistantlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2012the food is always consistantly good. the wait staff is friendly and courtious. Manage always willing to go above and beyond , espicially for the neighbors!Special Features:
- This was my 2nd time at SunsetDisappointedVIPDined on 6/5/2012This was my 2nd time at Sunset Grill. I went back because I couldn't remember if I liked it or not (that should have been a sign). The hostess didn't know what OpenTable was, then said she would ask her manager about it. She did not ask anyone about it, so I had to ask our server later on in the meal. The food was terrible. The side of asparagus was pathetic. My nachos were the worst I have ever had, and you have to pay extra for jalepanos! What a joke. There are so many great places to eat in KC, do not waste your time on Sunset Grill.
- WE made reservations for 9pmOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2012WE made reservations for 9pm to take a client we had coming into town late. I will never go to this place again. The staff was all in the back messing around my husband had to go find someone after waiting over 15 minutes to even say Hello or get a drink order. the waiter was polite, but didnt really seen to know much. So this was a total bust and left us apologizing all night to a potential client.
- The Paradise salad is theiLo823VIPDined on 5/26/2012The Paradise salad is the best and the Toasted Coconut Colada (but made w/ only coconut rum) is a great treat - and I don't drink very often at all but this one is worth the splurge.Special Features:
- Good food, takes reservation,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2012Good food, takes reservation, live music later. great placeSpecial Features: