851 Cambridge Street
Cambridge, MA 02141Neighborhood:
PortuguesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thesunsetcafe.ne/
- Phone: (617) 547-2938
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday: 11:00am – 10:45pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am – 11:45pm, Sunday: 12:00pm – 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Mediterranean, Portuguese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We offer custom a la carte menus, "Family Style" or buffet station set-up.
Additional extras/options can include servers, china service and basic
- Special Events: We can designate a small section of our dining room with a room divider
to give you and your guests a sense of privacy.
A word from Sunset Cafe
From our savory fusion of Portuguese and Mediterranean cuisine to our genuine Portuguese-American hospitality, you’ll find that we do things a little differently at the Sunset Cafe. Our goal is to bring the inviting feeling of the old world a little closer to home… to be more than just a place to eat, to be a gathering place where you and your friends and family can slow down, enjoy a great meal and reconnect. Love for food is what being Portuguese-American is all about!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sunset Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (10)romantic (5)great for lunch (4)special occasion (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)fit for foodies (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- East Cambridge cafeBusinessdinerVIPDined on 11/17/2014Hi, we dined a recent quiet Monday night at this restaurant. The service was great and the food very good. The restaurant is large and open but was not very full that night so was quiet. I imagine on nights when there are more diners, it might be noisier. A generally very good experience and I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Portuguese experienceLes236Dined on 10/18/2014This is the third time we have eaten there, from a romantic dinner for two to a birthday celebration with 6. The food is freshly prepared. We had two appetizers for the table, both seafood based, and very fresh. Several of us ordered dishes with mixed seafood. When it said "lobster" I assumed there would be a chunk or two, but it was a full 1/2 large lobster. That said, the prices were very reasonable for the amount and quality of the food. This time was at lunch on Saturday and we were surprised we were the only ones there. We also recommend the house wines or choose one from their stock. I cannot think of a single negative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great European food!ShawnDined on 10/17/2014Service was great and seafood was so delicius! Also this place was quiet for couple's dinning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get There Before Everyone Else DoesQuansetDined on 9/4/2014Sunset Cafe & Restaurant is a sweet little neighborhood place that is largely undiscovered at this time. Great Portuguese food served in generous portions. A small but very reasonably priced wine list. The double wing facility gives you the option of a local bar side that is friendly and efficient and a quiet dinning room that is spacious and comfortable. This is a place you could eat several nights a week without going broke. Sunset Cafe is a great alternative to the normally pricey Cambridge/Boston/Somerville food scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like lunch in Portugalpainter14Dined on 8/31/2014The dining experience (late lunch for our family of 4) was great for a European style of lingering, conversational meal.Special Features:
- Great food for great valueCBF8Dined on 8/28/2014Delicious fresh Portuguese food. Lots of seafood and some other interesting dishes, like goat. Paella was well done and a large portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodTheflorentineDined on 8/25/2014Ok food , not too fancy not to bad; good service , very big portions , great for budget conscious persons ! Sea food was decent but they could defibtwky use more flavor . Good selection of wines .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood-hangout resto!YuriyGVIPDined on 8/6/2014Food was quite good for the most part (shrimp entree was an exception to that.. but the BBQ'd cornish hen was awesome, as was the platter, and the caldo verde, and the dessert as well!) and reminded us of our honeymoon in Portugal - down to earth delicious fare! This is not a place for a fancy dinner as it is more of a casual local bar scene than anything else, but if you are aware of that, it is a great inexpensive spot with great eats! Highly recommend for those who want to try Portuguese food!Special Features:
- Zagat Rating old for a reasonCastironVIPDined on 7/26/2014Horrible area, interior falling apart and doesn't look at all like the photos. Food was mediocre. The server who knew what she was doing was serving in the attached biker or gang bar; the one we had wanted to but our Malbec in an ice bucket and wanted to know if we wanted ice in out=r wine glasses. I was SO disappointed.
- Nobody else in restaurantDanielaDined on 7/24/2014I was supposed to go here w/ my family & we didn't go in because nobody was in there. Regardless, I had a date there to check it out because reviews were good. Again, nobody was there but us. That poor waitress probably makes no money. The food was good and traditional, which we liked. However a few of my mussels had gone bad in my dish. IDK how they missed that smell. On the other hand, their house wine bottles are $12 and delicious, so that was cool. Not sure why people don't frequent it but they do have a regular bar crowd. It's an "ok" place. Nothing too crazy, although a $12 house bottle of wine is new to me. I'm used to paying at least $35 for the same value!Special Features:
- The following 11 reviews are from the Sunset Cafe reviews archive.
- Dining Experience at Sunset Cafebenita12Dined on 6/14/2014It was a great get together: close friends, great atmosfere, fantastic service (the waiters were great, I don't know the name of the waitress, but Manuel is wonderful), everybody enjoyed their food, and nice brazillian music. Everything was great. I'm a regular costumer and I always recommend Sunset Cafe to everybody. Thank you!Special Features:
- It was just okHBREVIPDined on 5/24/2014Jose is Portuguese and he was not impressed. The soup was nothing special.Special Features:
- Very good Portuguese foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Good food, good wine, live background music on Saturday night, reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Dried out seafoodPeteDined on 4/30/2014I went late-ish (8:30 on a Wednesday) and it seemed that my dish must have been sitting out. I got the Paelha, and it was extremely dry. All the seafood was well overcooked. Other items were good and the service was great, but not enough to make up for the lobster being so overcooked I couldn't get it out of the shell.
- YUMMY!peanutDined on 3/29/2014My husband and I were looking for a different place to eat. We tend to always eat at the same places all the time. We heard wonderful things about Sunset Café so we decided to try it. I am so happy we did... The food was delicious! I will definitely recommend The Sunset Café to my friends and family and I will most definitely eat there again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great date at the Sunset Cafe!RichDined on 3/28/2014After a movie at the Kendal the perfect spot is the Sunset Cafe a five minute drive. Mussels, Gilled Octopus, Bacalau, & house wine were excellent. In addition the included sides of potatoes (mashed & roasted), rabe, summer squash, onions, olives, bread, etc. were fresh, tasty, and plentiful. We took home enough of everything for lunch the next day. Can't wait till next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of potential...SavvydinerVIPDined on 3/22/2014Very hit or miss with the service and food---within the same evening! The things we ordered ranged from horrible, to competent---to yummy! The live Bossa Nova music was lovely but they should definitely dim the lights in the evening--my goodness! It was way too bright in there!I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm headed back soon for sureSeanDined on 3/21/2014I was very pleasantly surprised by Sunset Cafe. I don't really want to say anything bad. The food was good (on the verge of very good). Seafood was great. My g/f and I were maybe looking for a little more spice. The atmosphere was nice. The end of the story is that I definitely want to go back. I want to try some of the other entrees. Price level was VERY fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, very good food and live musicElsaDined on 3/8/2014We had a group of 17 by the end of the night. Everyone loved the food and the Sangria too. Very gracious, hospitable place. Live music was a very nice touch too. We will be back I'm sure! THANK YOU!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've been to this place oncambridge123Dined on 3/4/2014I've been to this place on two quite different occasions - 1) packed for a special music event and buffet on a weekend and 2) on a very quiet weekday night - both were good for different reasons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely neighborhood findmarjacVIPDined on 2/22/2014First experience at Sunset Cafe but I've wanted to try it for years. Food was delicious and very reasonably priced. Soothing but not invasive live Brazilian music played by a duo of guitar players. Lots of fun to have an opportunity to try authentic Portugese dishes. Highly recommend.Special Features: