851 Cambridge Street
Cambridge, MA 02141Neighborhood:
PortuguesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thesunsetcafe.ne/
- Phone: 6175472938x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday: 11:00am – 10:45pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am – 11:45pm, Sunday: 12:00pm – 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Mediterranean, Portuguese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We offer custom a la carte menus, "Family Style" or buffet station set-up.
Additional extras/options can include servers, china service and basic
- Special Events: We can designate a small section of our dining room with a room divider
to give you and your guests a sense of privacy.
A word from Sunset Cafe
From our savory fusion of Portuguese and Mediterranean cuisine to our genuine Portuguese-American hospitality, you’ll find that we do things a little differently at the Sunset Cafe. Our goal is to bring the inviting feeling of the old world a little closer to home… to be more than just a place to eat, to be a gathering place where you and your friends and family can slow down, enjoy a great meal and reconnect. Love for food is what being Portuguese-American is all about!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sunset Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)romantic (5)neighborhood gem (4)special occasion (3)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)fit for foodies (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- GoodTheflorentineDined on 8/25/2014Ok food , not too fancy not to bad; good service , very big portions , great for budget conscious persons ! Sea food was decent but they could defibtwky use more flavor . Good selection of wines .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood-hangout resto!YuriyGVIPDined on 8/6/2014Food was quite good for the most part (shrimp entree was an exception to that.. but the BBQ'd cornish hen was awesome, as was the platter, and the caldo verde, and the dessert as well!) and reminded us of our honeymoon in Portugal - down to earth delicious fare! This is not a place for a fancy dinner as it is more of a casual local bar scene than anything else, but if you are aware of that, it is a great inexpensive spot with great eats! Highly recommend for those who want to try Portuguese food!Special Features:
- Nobody else in restaurantDanielaDined on 7/24/2014I was supposed to go here w/ my family & we didn't go in because nobody was in there. Regardless, I had a date there to check it out because reviews were good. Again, nobody was there but us. That poor waitress probably makes no money. The food was good and traditional, which we liked. However a few of my mussels had gone bad in my dish. IDK how they missed that smell. On the other hand, their house wine bottles are $12 and delicious, so that was cool. Not sure why people don't frequent it but they do have a regular bar crowd. It's an "ok" place. Nothing too crazy, although a $12 house bottle of wine is new to me. I'm used to paying at least $35 for the same value!Special Features:
- Dining Experience at Sunset Cafebenita12Dined on 6/14/2014It was a great get together: close friends, great atmosfere, fantastic service (the waiters were great, I don't know the name of the waitress, but Manuel is wonderful), everybody enjoyed their food, and nice brazillian music. Everything was great. I'm a regular costumer and I always recommend Sunset Cafe to everybody. Thank you!Special Features:
- It was just okHBREVIPDined on 5/24/2014Jose is Portuguese and he was not impressed. The soup was nothing special.Special Features:
- Very good Portuguese foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Good food, good wine, live background music on Saturday night, reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Dried out seafoodPeteDined on 4/30/2014I went late-ish (8:30 on a Wednesday) and it seemed that my dish must have been sitting out. I got the Paelha, and it was extremely dry. All the seafood was well overcooked. Other items were good and the service was great, but not enough to make up for the lobster being so overcooked I couldn't get it out of the shell.
- The following 7 reviews are from the Sunset Cafe reviews archive.
- YUMMY!peanutDined on 3/29/2014My husband and I were looking for a different place to eat. We tend to always eat at the same places all the time. We heard wonderful things about Sunset Café so we decided to try it. I am so happy we did... The food was delicious! I will definitely recommend The Sunset Café to my friends and family and I will most definitely eat there again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great date at the Sunset Cafe!RichDined on 3/28/2014After a movie at the Kendal the perfect spot is the Sunset Cafe a five minute drive. Mussels, Gilled Octopus, Bacalau, & house wine were excellent. In addition the included sides of potatoes (mashed & roasted), rabe, summer squash, onions, olives, bread, etc. were fresh, tasty, and plentiful. We took home enough of everything for lunch the next day. Can't wait till next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of potential...SavvydinerVIPDined on 3/22/2014Very hit or miss with the service and food---within the same evening! The things we ordered ranged from horrible, to competent---to yummy! The live Bossa Nova music was lovely but they should definitely dim the lights in the evening--my goodness! It was way too bright in there!I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm headed back soon for sureSeanDined on 3/21/2014I was very pleasantly surprised by Sunset Cafe. I don't really want to say anything bad. The food was good (on the verge of very good). Seafood was great. My g/f and I were maybe looking for a little more spice. The atmosphere was nice. The end of the story is that I definitely want to go back. I want to try some of the other entrees. Price level was VERY fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, very good food and live musicElsaDined on 3/8/2014We had a group of 17 by the end of the night. Everyone loved the food and the Sangria too. Very gracious, hospitable place. Live music was a very nice touch too. We will be back I'm sure! THANK YOU!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've been to this place oncambridge123Dined on 3/4/2014I've been to this place on two quite different occasions - 1) packed for a special music event and buffet on a weekend and 2) on a very quiet weekday night - both were good for different reasons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely neighborhood findmarjacVIPDined on 2/22/2014First experience at Sunset Cafe but I've wanted to try it for years. Food was delicious and very reasonably priced. Soothing but not invasive live Brazilian music played by a duo of guitar players. Lots of fun to have an opportunity to try authentic Portugese dishes. Highly recommend.Special Features: