35 Shore Road
Shelter Island, NY 11965Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sunsetbeachli.com/
- Phone: 6317492001x34
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday 7:00am-11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-3:00pm, Saturday & Sunday 12:00pm-4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm-10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am *We will only be open on weekends from May 14th - June 13th until we open 7 days a week on Monday June 14th.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Loic Larteau
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Sunset Beach can accommodate parties up to 150 people.
- Private Party Contact: Antoine Lecas 6317492001
- Entertainment: Live DJ
- Public Transit: The Hampton Jitney stops in Greenport, NY and Sag Harbor, NY. From there you may walk or drive onto the Shelter Island Ferry (Ferry time: approximately 15 minutes).
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: Guests are welcome to use our parking lot as you may not park along the beach until after 5pm (unless you have a beach sticker).
A word from Sunset Beach
A seaside hideaway nestled in the sands of Shelter Island. Sunset Beach features a beach side French bistro and bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Sunset Beach - Best Restaurants in Shelter Island ›
Sunset Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (53)great for outdoor dining (49)hot spot (45)vibrant bar scene (37)romantic (25)good for groups (20)special occasion (18)great for lunch (16)late-night find (12)fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (11)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (6)Show More
- Comme ci, Comme caFalconwoodsVIPDined on 9/13/2014Not great food for the price, however the view of the water is great. Staff was friendly. Could have had a better selection of wines. Overall it was ok I wouldn't rush backSpecial Features:
- wonderful beachside diningcalifoodiDined on 9/6/2014What a winning combination great French food overlooking a picturesque beachSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niborVIPDined on 9/6/2014awesome…wonderful…a must go to…so glad we got to go this summer before they closed...Special Features:
- great sunsetRichardVIPDined on 9/5/2014fun energetic setting. beautiful sunsets if you have good weather.Special Features:
- not good any moreplc747VIPDined on 8/30/2014very disappointed used to be one of my favorite places three of us dined only two dinners came out 25 minutes later as we were done third dinner came out then someone spilled a drink on us had my favorite moules frites no taste really went down hill hope management gets it together as it is a lovely settingSpecial Features:
- Not worth it, At all.Food4funVIPDined on 8/28/2014This place is way over-hyped. Service was terrible, everything was completely disorganized - the manager didn't even know what was going on. Our food came out at random times, and my husbands entree arrived after everyone else had already finished. Not worth the ferry ride over.Special Features:
- SpectacularGoodchoiceVIPDined on 8/28/2014You feel like you are in Europe......South of France! The ambience, vibe, view and food all spectacular.Special Features:
- pretensiousALD8Dined on 8/25/2014I booked a reservation using open table and when arrived, was told they no longer do reservations with open table. When asked if we would be able to still get a table we were ignored. When asked again the hostess acted as though she didn't even remember and still did not answer if we would get a table or even give a wait time. They were rude and we ended up leaving.Special Features:
- Great scenery and serviceMravsVIPDined on 8/25/2014Beautiful waterfront setting, especially at sunset. Service from French-accented staff was very friendly (yes that is possible). Attractive crowd. Food was decent, simpler fare even good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rockerfellerDined on 8/23/2014Delicious food but portions way to small for the prices they charge. Good atmosphere and location.Special Features:
- A For AttitudeAmy1VIPDined on 8/23/2014The setting is amazing. The restaurant . . . not so much. VERY expensive for small portions of just ok food. And the service is extremely snooty - Very Euro and Very Superior. Best to come for a drink, and go elsewhere for dinner.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014Sunset beach the most romantic restaurant on the East Coast. The food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of attitudeViviVIPDined on 8/18/2014Tried to walk in on a weekday at 2:00pm and was told the wait was 45 minutes, with a lot of attitude at that. Went on OpenTable and found a table was available within 1/2 hour. Strike one! At the reservation time, was told that they don't keep the OpenTable app there so they had no idea I had made a reservation. Waited another 10 minutes for a table to be set up, even though there were empty tables. Waitress was edgy and rude. Took 15 minutes to bring drinks. Never really checked back with us. Food was ok, but by then we were so annoyed we just wanted to get out of there. It's a shame as it's a beautiful setting, but will not waste our time or money again.
- Just go to the beachWillajaneVIPDined on 8/17/2014Did not honor the reservation Made us wait with everyone who did not reserve Sat us in a place where you coul not see the view Took forever to get food The scene is like Fellini on steroids Ruins the bucolic Shelter Idland vibeSpecial Features:
- Location, location, locationMAC1VIPDined on 8/16/2014Whats not to like about sitting outside eating seafood and looking at the water. Only negative is the price...very expensive.Special Features:
- Obnoxious PricesCarrieDined on 8/15/2014$34 for pasta w red sauce and basil?!?! are you kidding me?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal/view in the HamptonsviaggiatriceDined on 8/14/2014Sunset Beach is popular, chic...and the food is fabulous! We were expecting a beautiful view (it really is the ONLY place on the water in the Hamptons) but we were not expecting to find such a great meal. My husband had the BEST grilled lobster we've ever tasted. The crab cakes were awesome, as was the tuna tartare and watermelon salad. We were there on a weekday at dinner with our two children (10 and 5) and my sister and we just loved it. We all cannot wait to return. Service was great. Food fabulous. Truly a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Its a shameCaseydakDined on 8/10/2014Sunset beach is a great place to go if you are lucky enough to be there when they are on their game. Unfortunately they are usually not. You have to go there knowing that you really dont care about the hospitality experience. You are going there to enjoy the company of your friends and the beach side view. Unfortunately service is nonexistent and obnoxious to boot by people who obviously dont care about ownership. Its a shame because it could be a great place if managemet cared enough.Special Features:
- Gem on the BeachBubblesDined on 8/2/2014What a fnd! We had both Lunch and dinner there and loved it. Presentation and preparation were both outstanding and the Rose was fabulous! Do not miss this little Gem on the Beach...Special Features:
- Rich Hipsters and their LadiesMattDined on 7/27/2014First let's say the food was no better than fine. My "fillet" was full of bones which was disappointing, all sides were a la carte, other dishes I tasted were just good. The price for 2 people with one bottle of the least expensive wine and no dessert was $250. The night I was there a scantily dressed drunk girl was wandering around the restaurant tables and sitting on the arm of any chair that had a male in it <30 years old. No one seemed to think this was odd at all, except their girlfriends, whose eyes were shooting daggers as the boys seemed quite enchanted. Our waiter was far too cool to actually provide good service but he did have a really cool ponytail and gym-toned body. I would have preferred just a good waiter.Special Features:
- Always a hitFashionFriendVIPDined on 7/14/2014Love hitting up Sunset Beach. Staff is excellent, food is excellent, view is excellent! You feel like you've left the hamptons and arrived in the Caribbean (ok minus the aqua ocean) avoid the crowds on the weekend and go mid week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectStevieMacVIPDined on 7/13/2014It can't get any better-be prepared for a serious Hamptons scene....but it's definitely worth it.Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 7/13/2014My favorite entree is the Steak Frites medium-rare and my favorite drink is Whispering Angel Rose. The portions are VERY small and the bill is always higher than I expect it to be, but the atmosphere is fantastic and the sunsets are outstanding. I like the seating downstairs, with my feet in the sand, but I also like the seating on the roof, near the balcony, because the view of the sunsets are the best from that vantage point. Best to go on weekend evenings in the summer, especially on Sundays. There are also ping pong tables, boccce ball court, and a fire pit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way Too ExpensiveFelicedollVIPDined on 7/11/2014I realize they have a short season to make their money, but prices were truly outrageous for mediocre drinks and food.Special Features:
- Hip and European with a beachWillajaneVIPDined on 7/9/2014You could be in Cannes or Capri Sunset a beauty- food is light and delicious If you don't mind a DJ and glitz This is your spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/9/2014I just love Susnset Beach - it is a go to when I have visitors on Shelter Island. The view, food and music are always perfect. The prices are very high but it is worth the trip - just realize it when you go that you will spend quite a bit when you are there. ENJOY!Special Features:
- Trendy but bad servicemmk429Dined on 7/5/2014Sunset Beach is a great spot for a drink but to dine good luck getting what you want. The waiters were terrible. We got the wrong order, and we didn't see a waiter the entire meal. One bus boy was the only saving grace. He got us everything we needed. I actually tipped him and told him he should be getting our waiter's (15%, no more--and we are big tippers) tip. I would only come for A DRINK back to this place, and only during the lunch hour when it is less crowded. It's honestly not worth the money. While the location and view are great, the pretentious service and so-so food is sub-par for the amount you are paying to eat there.Special Features:
- OverratedDined on 7/4/2014As we approached the restaurant for which we had a reservation, four young 20 somethings were basically being asked to leave the bar. One was so drunk he could barely stand. The food was o.k., nothing to write home about, and it was DEFINITELY overpriced for what it was. I wanted to go back to the beach across from the restaurant to watch the sunset on the following night. My spouse was vehemently opposed, after the negative experience, but we went nonetheless. Sure enough the place was mobbed. The whole place is a bit pretentious. Seems like it's trying to be South Beach on Shelter Island, which just doesn't quite work.Special Features:
- The following 102 reviews are from the Sunset Beach reviews archive.
- Fun Lunch Spotlove2lunchVIPDined on 6/28/2014Sunset Beach is always festive and never fails to transport you. The food is fabulous, the service friendly and the atmosphere inspiring. I felt like I was having lunch at a chic resort in the south of France.Special Features:
- Overrated at best!Holiday19Dined on 6/26/2014The view is lovely at sunset but they try way to hard to be "cool" and should focus more on food and service.Special Features:
- You can't eat ambianceFoodsterVIPDined on 6/25/2014Sunset Beach is an enigma. The location and set-up of the establishment is beautiful, and one feels as though they are in the South of France or Martinique, which is indeed valuable. But that's where it ends. The food is average at best and the service poor except for the lovely hostess. The server was inattentive as were her minions of staff all moving about with their heads down. When beckoned they are stunned,"Me??" A friend cautioned, "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. It's "hipsterish." That was correct.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/22/2014waited for two couples before us to be seated. when it was our turn, we were told it would be 20 or more minutes????? we left and did not regret. we ate at the lovely Pridwin Inn.
- Keep Coming Back!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/21/2014This place is great! I head there every time I go to Shelter Island and always receive great food, service and atmosphere!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014Consistently great.. Feels like South of France....I always bring out of town guests... Best spot on Shelter Island or the Hamptons for lunchSpecial Features:
- Definitely worth tryingChurchboy1Dined on 6/7/2014I come here every summer and am never disappointed. I hear people rag on the service a lot, but I've always been happy with mine. Bartenders (Kurt and Kirstie?) were awesome and make some great cocktails. Great place for dinner or just to hang out, enjoy the scenery and have some drinks.Special Features:
- Worth the TripLovetodineVIPDined on 5/26/2014This is a great place and way to temporarily escape from reality. In additional to the spectacular natural beauty of the setting, the people watching is boundless. The food was very simple, but good. A very vibrant bar/beach scene.Special Features:
- Poorly managed restaurantRosalindVIPDined on 9/4/2013Made a 7:00 dinner reservation to see the sunset and requested a table on the upper level. Were told ok. When we arrived, the upper level was closed; the next level was closed due to a private party. We ended up sitting in what is referred to as the cafe on the street level. Ordered a rose wine on the menu; they were out of it; were also out of three entree items on the menu and - they were out of bread!! How hard is it to get some loaves of bread. They were closing for the season at the end of the week...but they couldn't manage to buy some bread! We left and will only go there for drinks. Prices are high and food does not warrant those prices.Special Features:
- Fun, trendy, chic beach barOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/31/2013We love it at Sunset Beach for either lunch, dinner, or drinks. Fun atmosphere, loud music, its a little bit of Europe in Shelter Island. The food is good but not great, like a steak frites, burger, salad, etc. A bit overpriced, like 4 croquets that are dime sized for $20! And the house rose is $75 a bottle! But you don't go for the food, its more about the ambience and beautiful views... and the sunset!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go once and not againOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/28/2013Good scene and if u order the right dish the food is good. Horrible service; non professional staff all aroundSpecial Features:
- OutstandingsunsetzonegirlDined on 8/24/2013This is the place to go for great food and ambience. The frisee calimari salad was delish, as was everything the 4 of us had. The view is off the hook, beautiful people, bar scene is fab. Sergio (our waiter) was superb. As the night progressed the bar and restaurant were full. Go early for the beach and stay for fun bar scene, excellent bistro fare, and a sunset not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.