Sunol Ridge Restaurant and Bar
1388 Locust Street
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Sunol Ridge Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sunolridgerestaurantandbar.com/
- Phone: 9252781948x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Monday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Tuesday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Wednesday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Frank Jordan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Dining Room, with seating for 24 guests, is the ideal way to spend anniversaries, birthdays, and special events. Dine in a secluded area while your group enjoys an intimate gathering.
- Private Party Contact: Melissa Walker 9252781948x
A word from Sunol Ridge Restaurant and Bar
The rustic-meets-traditional Sunol Ridge Restaurant and Bar boasts a private dining room, serpentine bar, and outdoor patio with fire pit. Sunol Ridge embraces key elements from its inspiration: a nineteenth century homestead ranch located in the Fremont/Sunol hills bringing life on the ranch to the bustling city. With 54 taps of craft beer and local wine and an extensive menu hosting fresh, organic foods, Sunol Ridge provides a unique dining experience that is sure to leave you satisfied and with great memories.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Sunol Ridge Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Walnut Creek ›
Sunol Ridge Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (65)great for outdoor dining (58)fit for foodies (46)good for groups (38)hot spot (37)special occasion (30)neighborhood gem (28)notable wine list (24)romantic (18)great for lunch (12)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- GuachogirlOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014My food was very average. Ordered their special on Friday for lunch : chicken panini and green bean soup. Did not finish either one. Will not return at this point~
- Very nice overallLuvSushiDined on 9/23/2014Service was good. Food was good. Drinks were a bit weak. Atmosphere was good. We chose to sit near the back of restaurant because we didn't know how busy the bar/restaurant was going to be. We went on a Tuesday night and the restaurant was 1/3 full with some people hanging around the bar. We were able to enjoy our meal and converse comfortably.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good service and good appetizersIvannaEatALot707Dined on 9/20/2014Went on a Saturday evening with a group of seven ladies to celebrate my birthday. Our server was the best! She was very attentive and friendly, and her knowledge of the food and drink menu was very impressive. Our cocktails for the most part were good and the appitizers were delicious, especially the Brussels sprouts. They were so good we ordered 2 of them. At the end of our meal, our server surprised me with a birthday dessert (with a candle and all! ) and 3 complimentary desserts for my girlfriends. Will definitely be back, but will probably do small plates at the bar with cocktails instead of dinner. Best service ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great up scale gastropubCuriouscook58Dined on 9/19/2014Sunol Ridge was delightful. We ate out on the lovely patio which was wonderful. Inside the restaurant is quite loud and a bit over air conditioned. The craft beer menu is a step above most other places and they had a nice wine menu that includes wine by the half glass which was a big plus to me. The food was well prepared, interesting and beautifully presented. I had deliciously prepared scallops and a fresh take on heirloom tomato salad. I was impressed by the food! Our server was top notch. There is a bumpin bar scene inside and people who come here dress for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014For the price of the food, the food was not up to par!Special Features:
- Disappointing foodYellowroseVIPDined on 9/16/2014The decor is very nice and the service was good, but the food was disappointing especially for the price. Will probably give it a second try.Special Features:
- Food & Drinks = 10; Vibe = 3deadeyeDined on 9/13/2014My s.o. and I ate at the bar on Saturday night. Very interesting and well-thought-out décor, and all of the food, and the 2 featured drinks we had were superb. The vibe needs to be improved, however. Too many lights and too many TVs, and the mix of honky tonk and top-40 music does the place a disservice. Lower the lights substantially, deemphasize sports, and change the music mix to something more hip and chill, so the place feels like a young, urban scene in suburbia...house mix, BuddhaBar, Afrojack, etc. SR has great potential to be a late evening destination spot, but is not quite there yet.Special Features:
- Redman1Dined on 9/13/2014There was a significant delay in having drinks, ordered at the bar, brought to our table once we were seated. There was a delay in having the appropriate wine glasses brought to our table for our wine. Food was satisfactory, but not memorable beyond that. Limited selection on menu.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Good for girlfriends outing - husband not keen on returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soKimicanDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant was noisy and the food was ok. We had the impression that our order got lost in the shuffle.Special Features:
- Needs TweakingSherbearVIPDined on 9/12/2014Our first time at Sunol Ridge. First of all, ask to be seated in the back room or outside on the patio; otherwise, you will be in danger of going deaf. Very creative menu. Bar cocktails were excellent. My husband & I love calamari & ordered the appetizer...we found the texture too soft. Perhaps it was overcooked? I also ordered the "vertical" salmon. Part of it was actually raw. I think these dishes have great potential but need better quality control. I'd give it another try though.Special Features:
- Second time isn't a charmEastBayOutingsDined on 9/10/2014This was our 2nd time at Sunol Ridge; the 1st time was great, so my wife and I decided to come back to celebrate our anniversary. Unfortunately, the chef seemed to be off this particular night...my wife had the scallops; she had the SAME dish the last time we ate here and it was amazing, but this time, several of the scallops were incredibly salty. I ordered the pot roast - it's served cubed, which is odd since I would assume that a 40-hour braised pot roast would fall apart if you tried to cube it...not this meat. It was firm and chewy, not the texture I'd expect from pot roast...it was also served lukewarm, yuck. I ate very little of my meal, yet my server just took the plate away without bothering to ask why I ate NOTHING.
- Great new restaurantJanetVIPDined on 9/6/2014Really happy to see a new restaurant in walnut creek! Spacious, great decor, delicious food and fantastic service!Special Features:
- menu needs improvementbluebirdDined on 9/5/2014Sunol Ridge is a beautiful restaurant and the service is excellent. But the menu overreaches. The chef should present some choices -- besides the hamburger -- for patrons who prefer simple, fresh, well-prepared food. Simple is the operative word here. The poached salmon was under-cooked and too pungent. (If it's sushi, say so on the menu.) The chicken thigh tasted sour, unpleasant. Broiled or adequately poached salmon and chicken breast with simple seasoning, would please any palate, especially at lunch. I hope this restaurant succeeds, because it is a lovely space and staff is terrific.Special Features:
- Bean10Dined on 9/3/2014beautiful decor, friendly staff, small details missing--no spoon for coffee etc. Food good. I eat here often because the outdoor dining is the best.Special Features:
- Growing Pains - Beautiful SettingQuigVIPDined on 8/29/2014We knew we might have an issue when after being seated the staff was apologizing for a delay in bringing us water. This was the theme for the rest of the evening as every course took longer than expected to be served (and cleared). The seared calamari appetizer was the best dish of the evening. The soup of the day was vegetable, too much broth and not enough veggies. Once we ordered dinner, it took twice the normal waiting time which in hindsight was why they were trying to get us to place our dinner order early. My brined ribeye pork chop was great. My wife's scallops were good but her plated green bean side was tough. The wines on tap were average (sampled four) so went the bottle route instead. Better review if better serviceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/29/2014with tuna poke is cold dehydrated coconut milk, looks good but makes dish soggy & tastes awful. Bubbles were good. Quinoa veggie burger with tofu spread very good. Staff friendly. Cheese plate appetizer tiny portion for $18. elephant garlic puree awfulSpecial Features:
- Foodie delight in Walnut CreekHeidingrowDined on 8/28/2014Ambiance was fantastic! The menu had something for everyone. Whether you want cheap bar food and an extravagant for dinner you can get it. Duck confit spring rolls took me back to Vietnam. Pork belly was the best I've had. Burger was perfect! Where do I begin with the drinks? Cocktail menu was unique and exciting although a bit light on the alcohol. Wine menu had depth and variety. Can't beat the beer! Hands down the best beer menu in Walnut Creek! Staff was very helpful and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still figuring out serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/28/2014Very nice space and want to love it, but the service was way below par. Brought all our food together (salad and main course), our beers got empty, and felt abandoned.
- Solid food with some flairdiningfoolVIPDined on 8/28/2014Came with 4 others. Was pleasantly surprised. The apps. were the most unique. Highly recommend the Poke and the Belly. Both done with some very unique flair and modern cooking techniques. The mains were all solid. The short ribs are packed with flavor...just see it more as a fall/winter dish. My only nit, the menu was a little heavy for summer. All in the group were very pleased, but commented that it did lean heavy. Maybe some specials to highlight the bounty of the season. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd go againZeroDined on 8/28/2014I've been eyeing Sunol Ridge since I saw a boulder in the entrance during construction... Like, what could this place be? The ambiance is fanastic as well as the outdoor sitting. The drinks were great too! Sadly, the food on the menu sounded delish but in the end it was meh. I can't put my finger on it but it felt like the dishes my friend and I ordered was missing something. I'd go back with girlfriends for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here!PatutiDined on 8/27/2014The menu is a bit limited but the flavors were outstanding! Unusual, but great sides! The outside patio and fire pit are superb! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014We had high expectations that were not met. Overall experience was good. Great beer list and fun wine tasting. Food is hit and miss or maybe just not our style.Special Features:
- Second visitBean10Dined on 8/24/2014I have ben a guest at Sunol Ridge twice in two weeks--lunch and dinner. I plan to go twice next week. The wait staff and supervisors are excellent, the outdoor venue lovely and one can actually hear conversation at your table.Those who I have had as guests raved about the restaurant and plan to visit again. The food is ok--meat was too fatty but, on the whole, this is a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Finally! Absolutely awesome.EricaBVIPDined on 8/23/2014I cannot tell you how excited I am that Sunol Ridge has found its feet. This was my third time here and they were still working through some rough spots the first two times, but they have definitely found their stride. The food was absolutely spectacular - on par with some of the best meals I've had in SF. I've been waiting for a restaurant with this quality to open up in WC... We had the mussels, calamari and "poutine" this time and they were all exceptionally good. Kudos to our awesome server as well. Will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Very PleasedmangiamoDined on 8/23/2014Went expecting high end but it was much more laid back which I liked. Very good for drinks and tapas, would recommend for meeting up with friends. Great lounge and good atmosphere.Special Features:
- It's a good onePattyJeanneDined on 8/19/2014The fish tacos at lunch were great. Look forward to returning. Will eat outside next time on the beautiful sheltered patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply stunningLgleglVIPDined on 8/17/2014From the decor to the fabulous menu, there was nothing but good things happening at this new neighborhood restaurant. It is just beautiful and the menu from Top Chef protege Frank Stewart is fantastic. I had the tuna poke with cucumber bubbles and coconut snow. It was sushi grade tuna perfectly cut and presented over a bed of avocado. It was accompanied by a sesame "chicharone" that was crisp and tasty but neutral enough to support the poke. I then had the mussels with a perfect broth peppered with chorizo strips. Three nice baguette slices were served with it. They have a huge wine and beer selection. Wait staff was attentive and knowledgeable as well as personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service great, Food not so muchAndyVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great service by friendly, accommodating servers. Food needs work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outside diningLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/14/2014Fantastic beer list and very cool outside dining. We split the duck spring rolls for an app - very good. I had the pork - it was outstanding. My wife had the salmon - it was ok. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting new placepuckeyeDined on 8/14/2014Food was very nice. Cocktails were unique and enjoyable. Only detractor was wrapper on duck spring rolls, they were tough. Either made Earlier and were allowed to dry out or weren't in the hot water long enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2014Very nice restaurant and the customer service was superb. We were both vegan and the chef accomodated us beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Our server was auful. We received a dinner menu ands small bits menu and when we went to order, non of those items were available. We had to ask her abu the soup and she aid it wasfunny wehad asked because she just tried. I wasn'trealy funny. She hd been t the table 4 tis aready dropping of drinks and saying hi. She should have told us then. Plus she thought te aoili on the plates was ranch. She should know the menu because lunch is not so big. Plus the burger and fish tacos were not all that great.
- BillBillVIPDined on 8/9/2014the food was excellent, and the service was perfect. We needed to get in and out in order to make a show, and waiter did a terrific job taking care of us. Great wine list, but there should be more selectons in the $30 to 40 range.Special Features:
- Best of Walnut CreekTeamDDDined on 8/8/2014Upon entering the lively bar area we knew we were in for something good. The place is gorgeous, warm but also modern, a really nice balance. Our waiter was spot on the whole night. Perfect timing, perfect amount of attention and extremely well educated about the food, beer and wine lists. Had the most unusual preparation of a favorite dish in the tuna poke. Coconut dust and cucumber pearls? Nobody is doing that and it was delicious. Vertically cooked salmon with a square of crispy skin on top, oh my! Wife had the filet, cut with butter knife and cooked to perfection. Dad had the pork chop, massive tender flavorful. Everybody was a member of the clean plate club. We will go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super funOaktownMommaDined on 8/1/2014Headed to Sunol Ridge for a Girls Night Out and had a terrific time. Lovely glass of wine as recommended by our super duper server, friendly patrons, and awesome bar table with water running through it. Skip the duck spring rolls and head for the mac n' cheese. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Terrible serviceWCFoodieDined on 8/1/2014Great food. Horrible service. The waitress was so concentrated on the what must have been 2 VIPs next to us that we were pretty much ignored the whole night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome Edition to Walnut CreekScottVIPDined on 7/31/2014Walnut Creek needs a place like this. Great selection of craft beer and the bartenders know how to make a drink. The food and service is fantastic. Great lively scene.Special Features:
- Fresh new fun spot in WCAkira123Dined on 7/26/2014Went in for an early dinner and the service was amazing the food was delicious and the bar was hip and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Yummy...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Enjoyed great cocktails and a delicious dinner. The restaurant and bar have been beautifully remodeled and the outdoor patio with fire pit is awesome! The pork belly is a must...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.