Sunny Side Up
42 E Superior St
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sunny Side Up
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (312) 930-4242
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast & Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 8:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Sunny Side Up
Our Coffee Shop is on the 1st floor, serving organic coffee, tea, and an assortment of pastries.Continued
The main restaurant is on the 2nd and 3rd floors, along with the bar. We have a private party area on our 4th floor.
The patio is always open, weather permitting!
The main restaurant is on the 2nd and 3rd floors, along with the bar. We have a private party area on our 4th floor.
The patio is always open, weather permitting!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Sunny Side Up - Best Restaurants in Near North ›
Sunny Side Up reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (18)neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (6)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Lunch gemmissyVIPDined on 11/12/2014Met a couple friends here for lunch at noon on a Wednesday. The restaurant was quiet and a great place to chat. I had the Mexican baked eggs - fabulous! Everything was very reasonably priced. Server was very pleasant. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great breakfast spot!Johnny3VIPDined on 11/2/2014Great spot for breakfast in an old church and home turned restaurant. Busy, yet friendly servers. Plenty of fresh selections from traditional options to salmon hash and chorizo skillets. Something here for everyone.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wait staffRoseVIPDined on 10/25/2014I had made a reservation for six but ended up with nine people in our group! The host and wait staff were very accommodating!Special Features:
- good but typical chicago serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/25/2014food was great, prices were reasonable, only complaint is with the overall customer service. We had to beg for another table to add to our party, we made a reservation which they claimed not to have, and they crammed 8 people to a table that was tight for 6. I had to go all the way to the manager to ask for the table and they gave me an annoyed look and attitude that i even tried to ask. We did get the table but not before i felt like a terrible customer for bothering them.
- anonymous4foodDined on 10/19/2014Very interesting three story building -- lots of potential -- VERY ordinary, disappointing food
- Fresh and delicious foodDLeeVIPDined on 9/22/2014Everyone in my party had a custom omelet. The omelets were served in a timely fashion and exactly as we ordered them. The ingredients were fresh and delicious. This was my second time there and each time the food and service were great.Special Features:
- The smallest of packagescasualnommerDined on 8/23/2014Sunny Side up has the tiniest of kitchens which slows down its service time, but when you are in the mood to relax on a Saturday morning and enjoy your company before the most glorious serving of stuffed French toast, then this is the best place for you!Special Features:
- A perfect Sunday morning brunch!VeronicaDined on 8/10/2014The beautiful historic house turned restaurant so close to Michigan Ave was the perfect place to enjoy a relaxing Sunday brunch. The dining room was cozy with a warm ambiance and the service was excellent. The menu had lots of interesting choices with interesting twists on favorites such as french toast, egg burritos and Eggs Benedict.Special Features:
- The following 61 reviews are from the Sunny Side Up reviews archive.
- Great food, bad serviceJuliaVIPDined on 7/26/2014Our server was incredibly slow even though she only had a couple tables in her section. It also seemed that everything that was brought to our table was ALMOST right, ie the coffee came without milk and I had to ask three times until finally the manager got it for me, our food came without utensils and it was cold by the time we got them. The food was good so we'd probably go awain but hopefully not with the same server.Special Features:
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014The food was good and it was a cute restaurant but the service was terrible. It took at least ten minutes to get water and coffee. Our reservation was at 10:30 and we were sat around that time but we didn't get our food until noon. On top of that they messed up my friend's order then brought out a new meal which was still wrong. Another friend said the donut she ordered was dry and stale. We saw our waitress only when she asked our order and brought us the check.
- Great restaurantWonderfulDined on 7/4/2014We had 4th of July reservations. The place was packed. I only wish there was a little more order for the wait for outside seating. We checked in with one person, but it seems they were handling indoor seating more. So the gentlemen that was seating for outside, thought we were taken care of. Regardless, we got seated, our waiter was nice, food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, longgggg wait….ColleenDined on 5/25/2014Our hostess was exceptionally friendly and welcoming, seating us within several minutes upon our arrival and reservation. However after placing our food order to a very new waiter, we waited over 45 minutes for the food to arrive. We spoke to our waiter about the wait and he was appropriately polite and understanding of our concern as we had tour reservations in the city for which we worried we might be late. He conveyed this to the kitchen and we were told it would be another 10 minutes. The food was very good though not sure the 45 minute wait was worth it. Two orders of a side of fruit salad came to the table with drastically different portion sizes. We didn't risk sending one back. Nice street side dining atmosphere available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCynthia59VIPDined on 5/18/2014Bench on Sunday. Really great location and cool building. Server was very friendly but took us an hour to get our food. When we did, omelet was cold and bananas foster pancakes were missing the "foster". Delivered with a bowl of walnuts and bananas. Took another 15 minutes to get that. In the meantime, pancakes became cold. I would try this place again because I think it has potential, but only one more shot.
- great breakfast spotChuckkVIPDined on 5/18/2014Perfectly situated a block away from the cathedral, what a spot for a Sunday morning breakfast. With a menu that goes a touch beyond the traditional, Sunny Side Up will satisfy everybody. I am from NY and am always envious of the affordable breakfast locations in Chicago that are not the typical diner but specialize in breakfast. Just another example of my favorite eating city in the country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhoohd findmaggie444VIPDined on 5/6/2014RESTAURANT HAD REALY GOOD FOOD-service was friendly, very crowded on sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palms3VIPDined on 5/4/2014We love Sunny Side up for both breakfast and lunch. The atmosphere in this brownstone building is a cozy change among the high rises in Streeterville. We love the food selections on the regular menu as well as the specials. We often bring our out-of-town guests here for a breath of fresh air!Special Features:
- great experienceCjdineVIPDined on 5/3/2014Never had brunch in a two story brownstone. Surroundings were terrific and host (could have been owner) and waitstaff were wonderful. Great recommendation by the Langham Hotel for a wonderful brunchSpecial Features:
- Great Brunch placeAngieVIPDined on 4/27/2014Love the space and it is nice when it is nice out, they have a great outdoor area. The brunch menu is great and is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindLuvlocaldinningDined on 4/27/2014We ran across this delightful brunch spot by accident and I'm so glad we did. The historic building is beautiful and the service was great. The food was so amazing that we went back the following day before we had to leave town. This is defiantly a place we will put on our list of "must visit" when we are back in Chicago. If you haven't been there you should check it out, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great breakfastTiedyemomDined on 4/18/2014We arrived about 5 minutes before they opened, but the waitress and manager were so kind to seat us immediately. They were friendly and made us feel very welcome. My boys loved the cinnamon roll pancakes and the bacon pancakes. My oatmeal had fresh berries that were very flavorful. The food was great, but the service was even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast was awesomeCookieheadDined on 4/10/2014This is definitely worth walking to if visiting the city. Coffee beans roasted on premise and the coffee is a great way to start in the restaurant portion. I love that my cup never ended! I visited Chicago for a few days, and made this my breakfast place 2 days in a row. The owner was gracious, had the same waiter both days-Ian who was excellent. I had a nice table for one, and never felt rushed, I enjoyed a very leisurely breakfast even though the place was hopping. The omelet was perfect with potatoes and hearty toast. The next day I enjoyed the oatmeal with fruit-not your typical oatmeal. The lunch menu looked great, but was out enjoying the spring weather in Chicago. They even opened the outdoor seating which was a nice option.Special Features:
- Awesome BrunchmtaylorVIPDined on 3/23/2014Excellent atmosphere, waitress has phenomenal and the food was awesome. I wished I lived in Chicago so I could go back more often!! They do not sell alcohol, but our waitress told us where we could get champagne (just a short walk away) for our mimosas, fresh squeezed OJ made them fantastic. The Tuscan was delicious, as was the Croque Madam, and the eggs benedict that served on the brioche bread was incredible. We shared an order of cinnamon roll pancakes, OMG, yum!! Everyone at our table had an empty plates!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the wait and poor serviceCindyb2476VIPDined on 3/16/2014Food was good, but not good enough to overcome the poor service. Despite a reservation, they sat some of our early arrivers early, and then kept telling them to leave because the rest of us weren't there yet. Out of our party of 7, three people had to sit on armless rolling salon chairs. Our food took a very long time, and we were cold the entire time. The ambiance is cool...looks like maybe once was an old home. Our server was nice but not overly attentive because she was so busy. The restaurant was packed (11:15am on a winter Sunday).Special Features:
- Awesome on all accountsGregVIPDined on 3/16/2014From the greetings of the warm and friendly hostess, we knew we were at a warm spot. But then our waitress was fantastic and friendly and the manager (owner?) checked on us a couple times too and thanked us when we left. They made us feel very appreciated. And the food was fantastic! Everyone ordered something different and all were great. Nice selection and interesting options, instead of usual brunch menu. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible waitress runningshaftVIPDined on 2/16/2014Terrible waitress running around complaining and incapable of dealing with one of our group being allergic to Gluten.
- Egg exactly what we wantedGreatVIPDined on 2/9/2014Great breakfast place. 3 story house in the middle of downtown. Outstanding menu, good service and terrific coffees. The rye bread toast and sandwich bread is the bestSpecial Features:
- Slow ServiceTimberDined on 2/8/2014The restaurant is huge inside and I love the decor. It feels warm and homey, but is laid out well to accommodate large groups like ours (7). They were also very friendly and accommodating when I called to change our reservation at the last minute. Unfortunately, the food was a mixed bag. Some members of my group really liked their food, while others thought it was just OK. The biggest issue though was the service. The staff was friendly, but we had a long wait to place our order and then several mistakes were made. There were also issues with settling the tab, including a long wait and a weird problem with running through credit cards. I hope that the service is normally better, but I'm not sure if I will give this place a second chance.Special Features:
- BrunchYummyDined on 1/25/2014Wanted to try a new place for breakfast / brunch. Went with a group of four. The hostess was rude and impatient. Our waiter was great though. Patient, friendly, nice, etc. food was good. Good choices on menu. Great pricing for city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming brunch spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/18/2014I love how this restaurant basically is located in a home--really cozy and cute! Great selection of brunch foods and outdoor seating is nice in the summer. I had the Monte Cristo--delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1/12/2014DanoverVIPDined on 1/12/2014Great Experience. We dined here under another name. Was good then and was good now, too bad no alcohol tho.Special Features:
- Solid food, great ambiancefab5hill33Dined on 1/12/2014Food was delicious. Not sure if brunch can every be worth of 5 stars, hence 4 stars for food. Ambiance was fantastic. Location in a brownstone makes it very warm and cozy. Definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bit disorganizedMrsDVIPDined on 12/29/2013The food was great but they didn't seem very well organized - they didn't seem to have a table for us initially despite our booking and then the service was a bit patchy but as long as you're not in a rush the food is definitely worth it for a decent brunch!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great breakfast spot!ToughCriticVIPDined on 12/29/2013Loved this restaurant! Hadn't eaten there before. It's really close everything, but still feels really quaint. The staff was outstanding and very friendly. The food was great. This goes on my favorite list in Chicago-very tough to get on!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday groupKSueDined on 12/29/2013Happy to find a brunch spot that was able to accommodate a larger party. The multi levels of the restaurant made it feel like we were not jam packed in. Servers were very attentive with the coffee and good about helping with kids orders and half plates. I had the buckwheat pancakes and they were VERY dry. I do not like maple syrup and no amount of butter was going to fix these. But, had a HUGE bowl of berries to go with the pancakes and they were great. One service complaint is that we were given 4 little packets of butter for a table of 10! What????Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We eat at 94 West all theBarbDined on 12/25/2013We eat at 94 West all the time and now when downtown will go here for breakfast or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always scrumptiousLeaki1Dined on 12/22/2013We live out in the suburbs so we're not able to get to sunny side up very often, but when we do, we know it will be a fantastic meal with great service in beautiful surroundings. I've come to make the Croque Madame my absolute favorite. You won't be disappointed at sunny side up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best brunch place in Chicago!GeriVIPDined on 12/22/2013We had a fantastic brunch. Made reservations and got seated right away. The portions are large! Had the winter special of pumpkin pancakes and also eggs Benedict Oscar. They were phenomenal! The environment was very cozy and warm and the service was great. Will definitely come back next time I am in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised thatDennisDined on 12/15/2013Pleasantly surprised that it exceeded the hype and reviews we had read. Food was great, servings were huge, staff was courteous and friendly. Made a reservation, arrived early and were promptly seated even though people were waiting. That in itself gave them high marks in my book. Will definitely return next time we are downtown for the weekend.Special Features:
- Great for breakfast or brunchDrDaveVIPDined on 12/15/2013A great find for morning and afternoon dining. An old home converted to a restaurant that feels very cost and warm - especially decorated for Christmas. Lots of creative variations on breakfast favorites served by friendly folks. The associated coffee shop means the coffee drinks are a big notch or two above most restaurants. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseteacherkhVIPDined on 11/30/2013Had some issues making the reservation through Open Table, but they were very nice about it when I called. Food was good and it has a nice ambience. Glad we tried it.Special Features: