Sundance The Steakhouse
1921 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Sundance The Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sundancethesteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 6503216798
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Alfredo Flores
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Sundance The Steakhouse offers three distinct dining areas that can be reserved for semi private events. Please refer to our web site for additional information and booking policies.
- Private Party Contact: Galen Fletcher 6503216798
A word from Sundance The Steakhouse
Since its opening in 1974, prime steaks and martinis have never gone out of style at this Palo Alto institution. The atmosphere is very clubby with fireplaces, dark wood, sports memorabilia and plush leather booths tucked into the many nooks throughout the dining room. Famous for their slow-roasted prime rib & hand-cut U.S.D.A Prime Steaks, they also offer fresh seafood, cold water lobster tail & succulent shellfish. The 23 oz. Bone-In Rib eye Steak is the "Boss' Favorite" while the Double Cut Filet Mignon runs a close second. Sundance is respected for serving the best food money can buy coupled with value & simplicity – a welcome relief for serious food & steak aficionados. The menu is supported by an award-winning wine list that features over 400 selections focusing on highly allocated Napa Valley Cabernets & Sonoma Pinot Noirs. Exceptional ratings & numerous restaurant awards rank Sundance the Steakhouse as a true dining destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sundance The Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Sundance The Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
260 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (157)romantic (97)neighborhood gem (78)notable wine list (73)fit for foodies (69)good for groups (55)vibrant bar scene (43)great for lunch (30)hot spot (21)kid-friendly (19)late-night find (11)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Sunset menuOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/24/2014The "sunset menu" from 5pm to 6pm provided eight 2 course selections which was a great value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40 years and still going stronghoward7465VIPDined on 8/23/2014This has been our go to place for close to 40 years (since they opened) for special occasions. Food and service impeccable. In this case, old and stable is a positive. Nothing trendy about it. Excellent food and service. For non-beef eaters, a number of well prepared, excellent fresh fish entres.Special Features:
- Fab foodCapawVIPDined on 8/20/2014Delectable food (particularly the filet mignon) and nice wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodFLOTFVIPDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I recently dined at Sundance the Steakhouse. He had the evening special steak; I chose a variety of seafood; oysters, prawns, crab cakes. Each of the choices we made were outstanding; very fresh and cooked to perfection. Highly recommend. Jay our server was very attentive and gracious.Special Features:
- What has happened to dress code?DressDined on 8/15/2014I fear that California casual has gone too far. Wearing jeans and a tee shirt to a nice restaurant isn't my idea of a special occasion place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 8/14/2014Sundance Steakhouse is a very good restaurant with tasty food, atttentive service, and reasonable prices. My party enjoyed all courses and was surprised how quickly we finished dinner. This is an excellent choice for lunch or dinner when in Palo Alto.
- How to ruin a nice dinnerEatingoutwiththefamDined on 8/13/2014Our waitress brought out two "beefeaters" martinis that were both made with Vodka. No apology, nothing. She ended up bringing the bartender to our table and had him poor the Beefeaters in front of our faces....really? How rude. I think we know the difference between a vodka and gin. My husband hasn't ordered a Vodka martini in about 15 years. Not too interested in going back. Great food, but the service is spotty, and this is the second time with bad service. Maybe they put all their effort into the happy hour service and are just plain worn out by 6 pm for regular service. We will be going to another steak place in the future.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014Always excellent food and service. The steaks are prepared perfectly.Special Features:
- Good meal but steaks are just OKkendulaneyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Good evening but the steaks don't match the quality of a Palm for exampleSpecial Features:
- High quality food, okay servicePeasVIPDined on 8/9/2014The steaks are all around the best part of the menu. We ordered a New York and prime rib medium rare and they were served just right with the right level of seasoning. Creamed spinach was one of the better ones I gave had. Only recommendation for improvement is more attentive service- drinks were empty for long periods of time while there were long delays between courses . Overall, sundance was a treat .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodGigiDined on 8/1/2014We had 9 in our party and we all had great meals and service. The prime rib was delicious!Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerdowseatingoutDined on 8/1/2014Wanted a good steakhouse where we could take our kids for their 17th wedding anniversary. We were very impressed with the food, and especially the prime rib and mudd pie! Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerPort63VIPDined on 7/31/2014Lindsey out server made our evening. It was a friends BDay and she made a big desl out of it bringing him a birthday dessert . She made his day. Great service! Prime Rib was excellent as us all the food at this spot. Managers come over to make sure everything was good. Excellent spot for dinner or drinks. They also have fresh Oysters every night and they are wonderful. Hard to find oysters around here.Special Features:
- BelizeboyDined on 7/29/2014Over the years consistent and well worth the returns!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantNoraDined on 7/27/2014We went to celebrate our daughter's birthday and were not disappointed. Food was excellent, service was good.Special Features:
- It was a hitLosAltosFamDined on 7/26/2014Special occasion dinner for son's 18th birthday. We all had the prime rib, and it was delicious. It was cooked to order, as advertised. Side dishes of broccoli and carrots were not spectacular, but tasty nonetheless. Service was attentive but not instrusive. Our waiter even sang to us, with a nice voice indeed. We like the darker, cozy, pub-like atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great findOutforfoodVIPDined on 7/26/2014Probably driven by this restaurant 100 times, finally decided to check it out. Glad we did! Great menu, lots of variety. Wine list is nicely organized. Try to save room for dessert, as the pastry chef is up to no good in the kitchen. And, if you are lucky enough to have Luke as your server, he will sing for you at the end of your meal! A wonderful way to close.Special Features:
- Have had better experiences thereJerryPaloDined on 7/25/2014We are regulars at Sundance the steakhouse. For some reason this time we had to wait 40mn to get an entree. We got apologies. But then again we were left on our own with no dessert menu. A shame as this spoils the evening at this usually excellent restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- early birdchuyckDined on 7/25/2014Went for the "Sunset Menu" which is early dining at a discount with slightly smaller portions. Can't beat it . The prime rib was melt in your mouth good. Service is always first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taster's ChoiceTastersChoiceDined on 7/25/2014Our server, Geoff G, made our evening at Sundance a very special occasion. He had a pleasant sense of humor and gave us the sense that he wanted us to have a wonderful time. The food was delivered with gusto and promptness. When I asked if it would be too much trouble to get more butter, Geoff insisted that it was "no problem at all". The prime rib was perfect...medium rare, juicy and tender. The strawberry arugula salad was refreshingly cool for a very hot day! The butterscotch creme brûlée was to die for!!! The ambience was perfect...formal, but not stuffy. Elegant, but not overdone. It was a perfect place for two people to celebrate my birthday!!!Special Features:
- randynDined on 7/24/2014It was very crowded and a bit noisy. The food was good but the portion size of the prime rib isn't what it used to be.Special Features:
- Yummy Dinner!RosbelleDined on 7/23/2014This was our first time eating here. Food was delicious! The service was slow at times. The overall noise level was quite loud and not in a good way. The wait staff was very professional in all interactions. Was very pleased they gave a complimentary dessert for my husband's birthday dinner :)Special Features:
- We still love itSonoma4VIPDined on 7/23/2014Our 12 year old grandson loves to come and so do we. Waiter Jeff did a great job and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SkeezDined on 7/21/2014The entire staff is top notch! I have been coming here since I was 15, now I'm 47.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharlieJDined on 7/21/2014My wife and I like going to Sundance so that just the two of us can enjoy a nice dinner, a fine martini and spend time enjoying each other's company for a couple hours.Special Features:
- Great place for a business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014I took clients here this week and I was really impressed. The restaurant has a great feel with tons of really cool sports memorabilia around the walls. The staff was very helpful and overall it was quiet and a great place to meet and discuss business. The portions were huge and everything was very good. I'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- BlackBox21BarbDined on 7/20/2014Good food, reasonably priced......sports theme....bar area good for social and business interaction.Special Features:
- I'll be backMINImeDined on 7/19/2014Everything from the reservation to desert was first class. You will not be disappointed selecting Sundance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sundance ReviewMocadreDined on 7/19/2014For being a more expensive restaurant, I would expect the service to be much better. We had to ask three times just get some bread and I ended up drinking my friend's water because I never got a refill. The table next to us was a bunch of high-roller business men so were getting primo service, however. I appetizer was a little too salty for me. The prime was rib was delicious though. We did get a free dessert because it was my friends birthday so that was nice. Overall, if I am going to spend $30-50 a plate, I would expect the service to be much better. Disappointed!Special Features:
- Awesome steaks!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2014The best steakhouse Ive been too in the bay area. Awesome atmosphere, great steaks and sides, perfect for that special occasion. Wine list is to die for!Special Features:
- Great placeDagoredDined on 7/18/2014We dine here fairly often and have never had a bad experience with bar service, table service or the food. We highly recommend this restaurant. The sunset menu never disappoints.Special Features:
- Prime ribs are awesomedn80Dined on 7/16/2014We had the prime rib and the filet mignon egg rolls, both were excellent. The server was very attentive and the ambience was great!Special Features:
- A place to tickle all 5 senses!HaiYaDoinDined on 7/16/2014You'll walk in to be greeted by warm smiles and a friendly voices. Your eyes can't stop admiring the classy decor of leather and dark stained wood. The clean smell only disturbed as you walk by each recently served table. Your conversation only disturbed by appropriately timed service. And when the food hits your taste buds, it throws you back in your seat, as you try to slow down each chew and fight the urge to take another bite before swallowing, leaving you with a 5th sense of satisfaction, delight and urgency to plan another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great People!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/16/2014Sundance always provides fabulous food and exceptional service. This time they even went above and beyond when I thought I lost my phone. They searched high and low before I discovered it had fallen under the seat in my car. I was embarrassed to have wasted their time but they were very gracious and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgot my father's 88 birthdaylomaDined on 7/16/2014I made a note in Open Table that it was my father's 88th birthday. Waitress was not aware. Really felt rushed through dinner. I was born and raised in Palo Alto and my parents like to dine at Sundance. Unfortunately, it's not what it used to be a few years ago.Special Features:
- servicestormDined on 7/16/2014Three of us had lunch and the food was excellent with many choices on the menu. Extensive wine list. The only reason for the service rating is that we continually had to flag down our server when needed something, i.e., dessert menu and it took some time to get our wine once it was ordered. Otherwise, a very pleasant experience. It was nice to be able to talk without having to talk over noise.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerFoodieGirlDined on 7/15/2014Our server was excellent, very personable but not overbearing. Bread was amazing. I liked the prime rib, but i didn't find it very flavorful. The mashed potatoes were very rich yet light and fluffy texture-wise. We mentioned at the end of the meal, after we had gotten the check, that it was our anniversary and the server insisted that he take the check back and adjust the price to give us our dessert for free (we got the apple pie, which was delicious). Over all a romantic and relaxing experience, although it was quite noisy, especially when we arrived at 7pm.Special Features:
- overpriced and darkOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2014The minimum lighting is compounded by the dark paneling, which almost makes it seems like a cave. The meals were OK, except my filet was a cut from the end of the tenderloin. My filet had considerable grizzle, which I do not expect with a meal in that price range. I complained to our server, and to his credit, he removed it from our check.
- Finally, a lot betterDaveVIPDined on 7/15/2014After several disappointing visits, finally had a good experience. The difference was not in the quality of food, but in the service and level of attention. The previous visits I had encountered rule, inattentitve servers, slow service and mistakes in our order. Not this time; we did not like the table we were given, asked to be seated in the bar and were given a geat table and an excellent server. Danny, the server who arranged for us to move is especially commended for his wonderful, helpful attitude, even though he lost us as a customer in his area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJouvenetDined on 7/14/2014Brought a friend from another state here while she was visiting. The food is great and our server was excellent. I would definitely recommend getting a reservation first as this place was pretty packed even on a Monday evening. Only down side is the parking situation. Lot was full and we had to drive around doing multiple U-turns to get back to the restaurant. If the lot is full, there aren't a lot of other options in the close vicinity for parking.Special Features: