Sundance The Steakhouse
1921 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Sundance The Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sundancethesteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (650) 321-6798
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Alfredo Flores
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Sundance The Steakhouse offers three distinct dining areas that can be reserved for semi private events. Please refer to our web site for additional information and booking policies.
- Private Party Contact: Galen Fletcher 6503216798
A word from Sundance The Steakhouse
Since its opening in 1974, prime steaks and martinis have never gone out of style at this Palo Alto institution. The atmosphere is very clubby with fireplaces, dark wood, sports memorabilia and plush leather booths tucked into the many nooks throughout the dining room. Famous for their slow-roasted prime rib & hand-cut U.S.D.A Prime Steaks, they also offer fresh seafood, cold water lobster tail & succulent shellfish. The 23 oz. Bone-In Rib eye Steak is the "Boss' Favorite" while the Double Cut Filet Mignon runs a close second. Sundance is respected for serving the best food money can buy coupled with value & simplicity – a welcome relief for serious food & steak aficionados. The menu is supported by an award-winning wine list that features over 400 selections focusing on highly allocated Napa Valley Cabernets & Sonoma Pinot Noirs. Exceptional ratings & numerous restaurant awards rank Sundance the Steakhouse as a true dining destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sundance The Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Sundance The Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
281 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (170)neighborhood gem (102)romantic (99)fit for foodies (96)notable wine list (81)good for groups (79)great for lunch (48)vibrant bar scene (47)hot spot (32)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (8)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent as always.KaffirVIPDined on 11/21/2014Prime Rib Sunset dinner is a great value with lobster bisque soup, yum. Our waiter was friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 11/20/2014We were able to secure a quiet booth and brought our drinks from the bar to the table. Our waiter, Jeff, was outstanding and took us under his wing. The food was delicious and was good value. I will be back and will ask for him again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food-Casual DiningMarionDined on 11/19/2014Great place for high end food in a relaxed environment. Really friendly staff. You can dress up or wear jeans. My only complaint was with lemon drop cocktail. Its called Their Famous Lemon Drop so I figured it would be really good but it wasn't good at all. Everything else was so nice though I didn't complain about it. Our wine with dinner was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatrickDined on 11/17/2014Excelllent service and excellent food. The managers Rico and Galen , top notch. Professional servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ThereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014I am no Roy. Never went to this restaurant. Stop sending me emails, please.Special Features:
- Sundance dining experienceSundanceDiningDined on 11/16/2014Sundance, is a little dark in the dining area. In fact a few folks pulled out their cell phones to light their menus. The hostess sat us almost immediately, nice being that we had reservations. The wait staff was friendly, and knowledgeable. They recognized our gluten free concerns and addressed them promptly. The food was delicious and prepared to perfection. It's a bit pricey, but for "that" occasion, well worth the cost. All in all, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in PAGAC1Dined on 11/16/2014I love Sundance! It is my regular place to dine and find it pretty much without compare. Try it, you'll like it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!ABC100Dined on 11/12/2014Sundance is a 5 star restaurant in my estimation. Wonderful for lunch or dinner. Excellent food, cocktails, ambiance, and tremendous service. Love this restaurant and can't wait to dine there again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great traditional experiencedougat49Dined on 11/11/2014I have eaten and Sundance many times and have never been disappointed. Of course, I almost always order prime rib (despite other temptations). On this occasion, the receptionist seemed a bit discombobulated by our arrival, but we had an excellent over-all experience. Service was especially attentive and cheerful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- proudstanfordparentsDined on 11/10/2014Crowded and disorganized on arrival, but greeted warmly. Seemed like front desk training night. Table by the kitchen exit. Menu was great for meat eaters, but good catch of the day. Food was as advertised and very good.Special Features:
- Great steak houseDinneronmeDined on 11/8/2014Come here if you like super dark seating, the lively and loud buzz of conversion and steaks cooked just right. The service here has been fantastic every time we've come here. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carnivores WelcomeBobbobVIPDined on 11/8/2014Sundance has been a Palo Alto stalwart for 38+ years and is one of the best steakhouses in greater SF, but for unknown reasons is not rated by Zagat. The steaks were perfectly cooked (not over salted), and the sides were terrific. The first wine, a French Burgundy, was tasteless and was swapped without protest -- real class!Special Features:
- RitaVIPDined on 11/8/2014Sundance never disappoints - always top caliber, food, service, ambience. Just what a top notch steakhouse should be!Special Features:
- Sundance SteaksGFOODVIPDined on 11/7/2014This is maybe the best restaurant steakhouse in the South Bay. They have all the favorite on the menue, bone in cuts, dry aged, prime, creamed spinach, calimari, salads, soups, many types of potatoes. And it's all great food. You won't go hungry here, and you won't pay excessive prices. It's really a great value for a steakhouse of this quality. And the bar scene is crazy here, packed sports bar with people everywhere. And yet, they saw us waiting for fifteen minutes for our table, and gave us complementary martinis. This is a restaurant that knows its business, provides exceptional service, food, and comfort. It's fine dining in the South Bay. Definitely will continue to go back.Special Features:
- EDWARDVIPDined on 11/7/2014The food and service at Sundance The Steakhouse are very good and prices are reasonable. My party enjoyed a cheeseburger & fries as well as a steakhouse chicken Caesar salad for lunch following a delicious cup of clam chowder. James the waiter was most attentive, and offered many substitutions to satisfy my Mother's dining desires. It is appreciated that Sundance includes sides with most entrees and does not charge exorbitant amounts to include vegetables and starches. The restaurant is always crowded during lunch and dinners hours so a reservation is recommended. We will return to Sundance in the near future.Special Features:
- Best steak house for foodeaterDined on 11/5/2014The food was excellent. The waiter and his staff gave us excellent service.Special Features:
- Service was amazingDeelishDined on 11/5/2014David our waiter was fantastic. Friendly and had good humor with us and everyone around us. Superb job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistently superb!laughterDined on 11/5/2014Sundance is always top notch-service, quality of the food and conducive to business lunch.Special Features:
- Awesome!MikeDined on 11/5/2014I have dined at Sundance for many years now without having shared any experience until now...overall the food is excellent! Great place to take clients, family and special gal for an evening or even quick lunch. I would highly recommend sitting in the bar for quiet lunch watching golf on a Friday late afternoon or any baseball playoff game...great bar...wish I had this place closer to my home up the Peninsula as it's a weekly visit for me...Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014My wife and I came here to celebrate our anniversary over lunch. The service was stellar, I was impressed that the waiter actually was interested in having a conversation, not just a "How are you today?" The food was fantastic. I can't wait to try something else off the menu.Special Features:
- Great dinnerfoodhogDined on 11/4/2014We found this restaurant by accident this summer. Food was so good we came back again this time for a special dinner with our Grandaughter and were extremely pleased again. You will be pleased with the food and service here.Special Features:
- Quiet 70th birthday dinnerLividdavidVIPDined on 10/31/2014On Halloween we sneaked out the back door at what we estimated was the end of the innocent trick-or-treaters, before the flood of adolescent moochers. We walked past other neighborhoods and their celebrations. Despite the tempting menu we restricted our consumption to a minimal dinner (petite prime rib for each, a half-bottle of wine, and one fruit dessert). It was perfect. Then our waiter revealed that he was, in fact, a singing waiter. A great meal followed by a leisurely walk to aid digestion.Special Features:
- Consistently Good FoodVickiBVIPDined on 10/31/2014My sister and niece love this restaurant. They think the prime rib is excellent and the clam chowder is the best they've ever had. Desserts are over the top. I'm not a prime rib eater, but am happy every time with their salads and whatever fish I choose.
- Good Steak House ExperienceFoodEater9000VIPDined on 10/29/2014I took my brother here for his birthday for prime rib. I had the Halibut. Both were good. Not the best I have had, but all elements were very tasty. Traditional American style steak house food. My brother really enjoyed his prime rib and was ecstatic that the waiter quietly surprised him with a huge slice of some kind of delicious coffee ice cream cake (topped with a candle). The beer selection is minimal.
- FriendsRossVIPDined on 10/27/2014Good for sharing our lives over a great dinner. This has always been consistent. A bit pricey although.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/26/2014Always good, never disappointing. Great place for steaks, Prime Rib and all the trimmingsSpecial Features:
- Good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2014Juan and the team did a good job at the birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sundance 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/23/2014Great Place ! Will return Often. Bring back the Artichokes !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oldie but GoodyBlueJeanDined on 10/22/2014Been here many times, and this old school restaurant never fails to deliver solid food and classy service. Took out of town guests who appreciated the traditional decor and excellent prime rib. Service was top notch, well paced, knowledgeable and extremely polite. Was hoping for a bit more quiet ambiance, and was surprised to find the place hopping on a random Wednesday evening. Not your typical hipster scene, but fun in a throwback and grown up sort of way with yummy food.Special Features:
- very goodndixon510Dined on 10/21/2014The prime rib was cooked perfectly, great staff, the best potato skins EVERSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sundance is Great!streborjcDined on 10/21/2014I have eaten at Sundance since the early 1980s. Great food, great service on a very consistent basis. I have never had a so-so meal there over the years. The food is fresh and expertly prepared. Servers are very congenial and knowledgeable about all menu items and specials. I can't say enough about this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- great early bird specialOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/20/2014always enjoy this restaurant, but this time it was not only delicious - it was relatively economical. Had a plane to catch, which required an early dinner - and, what to our surprise did we find, but the Sundance version of earlybird specials. Both of us had fish dishes and salads, which were superb. Staff was gracious and knowledgeable allowing just the right time to prepare the food properly, allowing us to enjoy our time together, but respecting our need to keep an eye on the clock. Never felt rushed, but realized it was a win-win - as we were out before their prime dinnertime. Really appreciated this option, but also had the full menu available.Special Features:
- Great Location to CelebrateRickDined on 10/18/2014My partner's birthday fell on a Saturday and since I am from the East Coast, I had no reference on the best restaurants in the South Bay area. Fortunately, I relied on Yelp and Tripadvisor as guides. The Sundance will not disappoint. The restaurant is cozy, well appointed, and sophisticated. Some reviewers say "dark" but I would say "romantic". The wait staff (Jay) was attentive and very helpful with suggestions on the menu. The food was well prepared and exceptional in flavor. The prime rib was terrific! And Jay presented a special birthdaty dessert compliments of the restaurant. The menu is a bit pricey so I would consider this restaurant to be a special place for intimate celebrations. However, it was a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RitaVIPDined on 10/18/2014Always top notch in every way! Sundance never disappoints.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014We experienced great service from our waiter, very friendly and attentive. The food was great!Special Features:
- RudeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/17/2014After making a reservation, I received 3 emails and 3 phone calls demanding that I confirm that I would honor the reservation and be on time (7pm). Upon arrival we were treated rudely and were required to wait 20 minutes for our table. I do not expect to be harassed by a restaurant and resent their behavior.
- Great choices on nenuOuranniversaryDined on 10/16/2014We choose Sundance for different occasions, this one being our 43rd wedding anniversary. Ironically, we had the same table as our last visit, not the best table, although it was OK. Our meals I would rate very high. My wife loves prime rib, which she had, and she enjoyed it very much. I had the scallops and prawns. Very good, not too little, not too much and very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entree at Room TemperatureMITONELOVIPDined on 10/14/2014Prime rib and veggies luke warm at best. Waiter removed first serving and returned with warm food. Eaten here several times and this is the first complaint.Special Features:
- I come here all the timeLocalGuy195Dined on 10/13/2014And I will keep coming back, this place has some great steaks and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Outstanding2foodiesDined on 10/12/2014Sundance is our go to restaurant for special occasions. We have never been disappointed. The quality of the steaks and prime rib is excellent and always perfectly cooked to order. What more can you say about a place that always delivers a perfect dining experience?Special Features: