Sundance The Steakhouse
1921 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Sundance The Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sundancethesteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 6503216798
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Alfredo Flores
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Sundance The Steakhouse offers three distinct dining areas that can be reserved for semi private events. Please refer to our web site for additional information and booking policies.
- Private Party Contact: Galen Fletcher 6503216798
A word from Sundance The Steakhouse
Since its opening in 1974, prime steaks and martinis have never gone out of style at this Palo Alto institution. The atmosphere is very clubby with fireplaces, dark wood, sports memorabilia and plush leather booths tucked into the many nooks throughout the dining room. Famous for their slow-roasted prime rib & hand-cut U.S.D.A Prime Steaks, they also offer fresh seafood, cold water lobster tail & succulent shellfish. The 23 oz. Bone-In Rib eye Steak is the "Boss' Favorite" while the Double Cut Filet Mignon runs a close second. Sundance is respected for serving the best food money can buy coupled with value & simplicity – a welcome relief for serious food & steak aficionados. The menu is supported by an award-winning wine list that features over 400 selections focusing on highly allocated Napa Valley Cabernets & Sonoma Pinot Noirs. Exceptional ratings & numerous restaurant awards rank Sundance the Steakhouse as a true dining destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sundance The Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Sundance The Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
279 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (170)romantic (104)neighborhood gem (89)notable wine list (85)fit for foodies (82)good for groups (64)vibrant bar scene (45)great for lunch (37)hot spot (28)kid-friendly (16)late-night find (11)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Service & Great FoodFalguniMDined on 9/15/2014I was here with my my customers and we loved the food here as well as the service was great. Thank you!Special Features:
- noise level was TOO loudDagoredDined on 9/13/2014I come to this restaurant a lot, I mean a lot and never on Saturday but my dining companion couldn't go during the week so Saturday it was. Holy smokes on this particular night Stanford was playing football and there was a large table of guests after the game and they were screaming and hollering and cheering at the top of their lungs through our entire time there. It was disappointing as this was my companions first time there after my continued bragging about this restaurant. I will never go on Saturday again. Food and service didn't disappoint as usual but the noise was over the top!Special Features:
- Perfect Palo AltoBarbVIPDined on 9/12/2014This somewhat-sporty long time restaurant never disappoints. The welcome sign at the entrance 'Members and Non-Members Only' hints at the wait staff's humorous and welcoming style. The prime rib was fantastic -- super tender, perfectly cooked. Just the right amount of attention, we weren't rushed at all. We will come back whenever we are in town!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sundance delivers!!!MartinDined on 9/11/2014Hadn't been to Sundance in years and decided to meet a friend there for dinner. Amazing New York Steak and Prime Rib! Seasoned and cooked to perfection. Great choice of sides but for me a baked potato with steak is the perfect combo. The wine list is very good with many good vintages going back 4 or 5 years. If you bring your own wine the $25 corkage fee ends up adding enough price to where it is virtually price neutral for the excellent wines they have there. Had the famous mud pie for desert and it was awesome! The bar area was very busy for a Thursday night but we did not have a problem finding a place to sit while we waited for our table. Overall, an excellent experience!Special Features:
- Many ThanksFoodiegalcaDined on 9/10/2014I have been dining at Sundance for many years and it has always been an amazing. The service is top notch, the food is delicious and the restaurant is well maintained. Sundance is the steak house I choose to go to whenever I am in the Palo Alto area. Thank you for the continued great service and amazing food. I look forward to my next dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good For Smaller Corporate DinnersBayAreaFoodieVIPDined on 9/9/2014This is a surf and turf restaurant with a very masculine style to the decor. They know how to properly cook a steak and lobster, and pair it with your choice of comfort food sides. In addition, the bar makes stiff, classic cocktails. We gather here for smaller corporate dinners, and the guys are always happily fueled up on food and drinks. Don't come here if you are a food snob with a list of dietary restrictions, it's not that kind of place!Special Features:
- An excellent fun experiencefab4Dined on 9/8/2014Us four lady friends were celebrating one's birthday and loved our time together! Our waiter was so much fun but not too intrusive. His interaction with us was very much appreciated and added a fun element to our celebration. The food was so tasty, the pasta was out of this world, steak and mushroom done well, nicely spiced, with a kick. Thank you so much for a great total experience!Special Features:
- SteaklikediningDined on 9/7/2014The service was exceptional. We were a large party. The steaks were all very good, and the one fish dish was okay- dry. Should have stayed with the steak.Special Features:
- Food not up to parDevalen16Dined on 9/7/2014The waiter was great and I always like the atmosphere. However, the waiter recommended the halibut and it could not have been more dry and hard to eat if they tried. I could see that my other two companions were not thrilled with their dishes. I have eaten there before but this was an off night in the kitchen, I guess.Special Features:
- Birthday Celebratory Dinnerfrepalo2Dined on 9/6/2014Disappointed that Sundance did not have the requested rack of lamb for my guests. When I confirmed the day before my reservation, I was told that Sundance had not looked at my special request and therefore, they did not have the rack of lamb. What's the sense in having a special request ignored at the time of placing a reservation? Our server, Luke, was very entertaining. The food ordered was okay. However, the shrimp was overcooked. I couldn't believe that the bone-in ribeye was $68.95 each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014This restaurant is a real gem. It's a happening place and the food is top drawer. We were a party of 7. The waiter was attentive, but not pushy, and offered appropriate suggestions. The variety of food and quality is far superior to most. It's a bit pricy, but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was goodVinoBenitoDined on 9/5/2014I was put off by receiving a voicemail asking me to call back to confirm my reservation. The restaurant was very noisy, perhaps this was a result of the USC-Stanford football game being held at nearby Stanford the next day. But it made conversation difficult. The restaurant was too dark, making reading the menu a challenge. It was too warm. I do not understand the décor. There is vintage sports memorabilia on the walls but the restaurant otherwise does not have a sports theme. My wife wore a dress and I wore a dinner jacket with no tie, and we were noticeably overdressed. Our waiter was very attentive and knowledgeable. The wine list is vastly overpriced. The food was good, but as you expect at a steakhouse, not very imaginative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/5/2014Expensive dinner and the food did not reflect the price. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Perfect.LoudgtrDined on 9/2/2014The service, steak and wine menu are all top notch. Big private-feeling booths make for a nice romantic evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBLBLVIPDined on 8/31/2014Service was outstanding, food was absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- prime rib deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/31/2014Waiter seemed to forget about taking our order, or delivering our food. Everything else was excellent.Special Features:
- One of the Best Prime Ribsnw6jDined on 8/30/2014Celebrated my son's 15th birthday. Provided this info upon reservation at Open Table. They didn't forget, and gave him a sundae dessert with a little candle. Our server sang a reworded (his) jazz tune as a birthday song. It was cool. I missed recording it. We both got prime ribs and they were probably one of the best we've had. Service was great. We were 10 minutes late for our reservation, but the ladies in front were so nice, and had our table ready. Will definitely come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great post football game experienceStanfordFanDined on 8/30/2014This is a great place to take important clients, visitors from out of town, friends, your spouse, and people you enjoy spending tine with. It is also a great place to meet new friends. The entire staff is excellent and cater to your needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday dinnerFLOTFVIPDined on 8/30/2014We took our in-laws to Sundance for their birthday celebration. The food was outstanding; prime rib was perfectly seasoned, oysters were succulent, steak was tender and juicy. Our waiter sang a special tune to our Mom-in-law for her birthday along with a large piece of mud pie. A wonderful experience. Will definitely return for special events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/28/2014Had been to Sundance for business dinners quite some time ago, and wanted to share the experience with newly Stanford graduate student. Food, environment exceeded our expectation. Only disappointment and lower rating was the server. Every other service person - hostess, sommelier, head server, support staff - were excellent. Our server only stood/waited on us longest when taking the order, which took three attempts since the server kept excusing themselves. Throughout the dinner, we saw everyone else (which is why my earlier comment about 'every other service person' would have received an excellent/outstanding rating) longer, frequently, and enjoyably.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset menuOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/24/2014The "sunset menu" from 5pm to 6pm provided eight 2 course selections which was a great value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40 years and still going stronghoward7465VIPDined on 8/23/2014This has been our go to place for close to 40 years (since they opened) for special occasions. Food and service impeccable. In this case, old and stable is a positive. Nothing trendy about it. Excellent food and service. For non-beef eaters, a number of well prepared, excellent fresh fish entres.Special Features:
- Fab foodCapawVIPDined on 8/20/2014Delectable food (particularly the filet mignon) and nice wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodFLOTFVIPDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I recently dined at Sundance the Steakhouse. He had the evening special steak; I chose a variety of seafood; oysters, prawns, crab cakes. Each of the choices we made were outstanding; very fresh and cooked to perfection. Highly recommend. Jay our server was very attentive and gracious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014Food was great but the wait time for our dinner was way too long! We were told there was a big party and that's why it took so long. I don't mind a little wait but we waited over 30 minutes for our dinner. The waiter was very good, he gave us a birthday desert and a bowl of ice cream to share.
- What has happened to dress code?DressDined on 8/15/2014I fear that California casual has gone too far. Wearing jeans and a tee shirt to a nice restaurant isn't my idea of a special occasion place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 8/14/2014Sundance Steakhouse is a very good restaurant with tasty food, atttentive service, and reasonable prices. My party enjoyed all courses and was surprised how quickly we finished dinner. This is an excellent choice for lunch or dinner when in Palo Alto.
- How to ruin a nice dinnerEatingoutwiththefamDined on 8/13/2014Our waitress brought out two "beefeaters" martinis that were both made with Vodka. No apology, nothing. She ended up bringing the bartender to our table and had him poor the Beefeaters in front of our faces....really? How rude. I think we know the difference between a vodka and gin. My husband hasn't ordered a Vodka martini in about 15 years. Not too interested in going back. Great food, but the service is spotty, and this is the second time with bad service. Maybe they put all their effort into the happy hour service and are just plain worn out by 6 pm for regular service. We will be going to another steak place in the future.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014Always excellent food and service. The steaks are prepared perfectly.Special Features:
- Good meal but steaks are just OKkendulaneyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Good evening but the steaks don't match the quality of a Palm for exampleSpecial Features:
- High quality food, okay servicePeasVIPDined on 8/9/2014The steaks are all around the best part of the menu. We ordered a New York and prime rib medium rare and they were served just right with the right level of seasoning. Creamed spinach was one of the better ones I gave had. Only recommendation for improvement is more attentive service- drinks were empty for long periods of time while there were long delays between courses . Overall, sundance was a treat .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodGigiDined on 8/1/2014We had 9 in our party and we all had great meals and service. The prime rib was delicious!Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerdowseatingoutDined on 8/1/2014Wanted a good steakhouse where we could take our kids for their 17th wedding anniversary. We were very impressed with the food, and especially the prime rib and mudd pie! Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerPort63VIPDined on 7/31/2014Lindsey out server made our evening. It was a friends BDay and she made a big desl out of it bringing him a birthday dessert . She made his day. Great service! Prime Rib was excellent as us all the food at this spot. Managers come over to make sure everything was good. Excellent spot for dinner or drinks. They also have fresh Oysters every night and they are wonderful. Hard to find oysters around here.Special Features:
- BelizeboyDined on 7/29/2014Over the years consistent and well worth the returns!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantNoraDined on 7/27/2014We went to celebrate our daughter's birthday and were not disappointed. Food was excellent, service was good.Special Features:
- It was a hitLosAltosFamDined on 7/26/2014Special occasion dinner for son's 18th birthday. We all had the prime rib, and it was delicious. It was cooked to order, as advertised. Side dishes of broccoli and carrots were not spectacular, but tasty nonetheless. Service was attentive but not instrusive. Our waiter even sang to us, with a nice voice indeed. We like the darker, cozy, pub-like atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great findOutforfoodVIPDined on 7/26/2014Probably driven by this restaurant 100 times, finally decided to check it out. Glad we did! Great menu, lots of variety. Wine list is nicely organized. Try to save room for dessert, as the pastry chef is up to no good in the kitchen. And, if you are lucky enough to have Luke as your server, he will sing for you at the end of your meal! A wonderful way to close.Special Features:
- Have had better experiences thereJerryPaloDined on 7/25/2014We are regulars at Sundance the steakhouse. For some reason this time we had to wait 40mn to get an entree. We got apologies. But then again we were left on our own with no dessert menu. A shame as this spoils the evening at this usually excellent restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- early birdchuyckDined on 7/25/2014Went for the "Sunset Menu" which is early dining at a discount with slightly smaller portions. Can't beat it . The prime rib was melt in your mouth good. Service is always first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.