Sundance The Steakhouse
1921 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Sundance The Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sundancethesteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 6503216798
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Alfredo Flores
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Sundance The Steakhouse offers three distinct dining areas that can be reserved for semi private events. Please refer to our web site for additional information and booking policies.
- Private Party Contact: Galen Fletcher 6503216798
A word from Sundance The Steakhouse
Since its opening in 1974, prime steaks and martinis have never gone out of style at this Palo Alto institution. The atmosphere is very clubby with fireplaces, dark wood, sports memorabilia and plush leather booths tucked into the many nooks throughout the dining room. Famous for their slow-roasted prime rib & hand-cut U.S.D.A Prime Steaks, they also offer fresh seafood, cold water lobster tail & succulent shellfish. The 23 oz. Bone-In Rib eye Steak is the "Boss' Favorite" while the Double Cut Filet Mignon runs a close second. Sundance is respected for serving the best food money can buy coupled with value & simplicity – a welcome relief for serious food & steak aficionados. The menu is supported by an award-winning wine list that features over 400 selections focusing on highly allocated Napa Valley Cabernets & Sonoma Pinot Noirs. Exceptional ratings & numerous restaurant awards rank Sundance the Steakhouse as a true dining destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sundance The Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Sundance The Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
285 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (179)romantic (101)neighborhood gem (91)fit for foodies (88)notable wine list (82)good for groups (79)vibrant bar scene (47)great for lunch (43)hot spot (31)kid-friendly (20)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Oldie but GoodyBlueJeanDined on 10/22/2014Been here many times, and this old school restaurant never fails to deliver solid food and classy service. Took out of town guests who appreciated the traditional decor and excellent prime rib. Service was top notch, well paced, knowledgeable and extremely polite. Was hoping for a bit more quiet ambiance, and was surprised to find the place hopping on a random Wednesday evening. Not your typical hipster scene, but fun in a throwback and grown up sort of way with yummy food.Special Features:
- Sundance is Great!streborjcDined on 10/21/2014I have eaten at Sundance since the early 1980s. Great food, great service on a very consistent basis. I have never had a so-so meal there over the years. The food is fresh and expertly prepared. Servers are very congenial and knowledgeable about all menu items and specials. I can't say enough about this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Location to CelebrateRickDined on 10/18/2014My partner's birthday fell on a Saturday and since I am from the East Coast, I had no reference on the best restaurants in the South Bay area. Fortunately, I relied on Yelp and Tripadvisor as guides. The Sundance will not disappoint. The restaurant is cozy, well appointed, and sophisticated. Some reviewers say "dark" but I would say "romantic". The wait staff (Jay) was attentive and very helpful with suggestions on the menu. The food was well prepared and exceptional in flavor. The prime rib was terrific! And Jay presented a special birthdaty dessert compliments of the restaurant. The menu is a bit pricey so I would consider this restaurant to be a special place for intimate celebrations. However, it was a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RitaVIPDined on 10/18/2014Always top notch in every way! Sundance never disappoints.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014We experienced great service from our waiter, very friendly and attentive. The food was great!Special Features:
- RudeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/17/2014After making a reservation, I received 3 emails and 3 phone calls demanding that I confirm that I would honor the reservation and be on time (7pm). Upon arrival we were treated rudely and were required to wait 20 minutes for our table. I do not expect to be harassed by a restaurant and resent their behavior.
- Great choices on nenuOuranniversaryDined on 10/16/2014We choose Sundance for different occasions, this one being our 43rd wedding anniversary. Ironically, we had the same table as our last visit, not the best table, although it was OK. Our meals I would rate very high. My wife loves prime rib, which she had, and she enjoyed it very much. I had the scallops and prawns. Very good, not too little, not too much and very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entree at Room TemperatureMITONELOVIPDined on 10/14/2014Prime rib and veggies luke warm at best. Waiter removed first serving and returned with warm food. Eaten here several times and this is the first complaint.Special Features:
- I come here all the timeLocalGuy195Dined on 10/13/2014And I will keep coming back, this place has some great steaks and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Outstanding2foodiesDined on 10/12/2014Sundance is our go to restaurant for special occasions. We have never been disappointed. The quality of the steaks and prime rib is excellent and always perfectly cooked to order. What more can you say about a place that always delivers a perfect dining experience?Special Features:
- EDWARDVIPDined on 10/9/2014The food and service were both very good at Sundance Steakhouse and my party enjoyed the clam chowder and house salad as well as the sword fish, prime rib, and salmon entrees. The wine list provided many choices by the bottle, and the mudpie plus apple pie ala mode deserts were terrific choices to end the meal. The waitress was most attentive an prices were reasonable, particularly since starch and vegetable sides are included in the entree price. We will definitely return to Sundance in the near future.Special Features:
- Cesar Martin PerezCesarMPDined on 10/8/2014This is one of the best Restaurants in Silicon Valley, great appetizers, wine and beafSpecial Features:
- Great DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/8/2014Great dining but a bit pricey. The 5:00 specials were excellent for the price but the bone in NY Steak was over the top pricing wise!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodMVS212Dined on 10/8/2014If you want great tasting food, go here. I loved it. The service is excellent and the food is tasty. I will be going back for more. Is it expensive for my budget? Yes! But it was worth the price. This was my second time and each time the service is great. Next time I want to go during dinner so I can enjoy some wine with my meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great dinnerTizapanoDined on 10/6/2014spent our anniversary dinner here again (wifes choice) and another great dinner we will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time - MehDW123Dined on 10/4/2014We went to Sundance for my fiance's Birthday - he wanted prime rib. The food was great! The service was ok - our waiter forgot drinks and had to be reminded, the service staff spilled water on our table and our clothes every time they refilled our glasses and they took our not empty wine bottle away when they cleared our plates (we were talking and didn't see them take away the bottle)! The waiter removed the corkage fee to remedy the missing wine bottle, but overall I was surprised about the level of service. Guess this isn't considered a "nice" restaurant or maybe it is and they should re-train their service staff to improve the service.Special Features:
- Great Food and AtmosphereCls14Dined on 10/3/2014The Prime Rib Dip was tasty, tender and delicious, trimmed to pefection. Nice quiet place, great for a celebration or special occasion.Special Features:
- Always Great Food!JoniVIPDined on 9/30/2014The food at Sundance is always consistent. The steaks of a great quality and delicious. Cannot go wrong dining here!Special Features:
- What...LuvfriendsDined on 9/30/2014Food and service very good but noise level loud. Difficult to converse and hear!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow servicekristinDined on 9/28/2014The food was good, but unfortunately service was very slow and they made several mistakes throughout the night.Special Features:
- what happened to this place?DisappointedDined on 9/28/2014What happened to this place? My family and coworkers have been going to Sundance for years and I have recommended it to anyone looking for a great Steakhouse. On our last visit the food and service fell far short of past experiences. We will not eat there again.
- Ask for a quiet tablehalfdomeVIPDined on 9/26/2014We typically enjoy Sundance but this last experience we could not hear each other. There were two large parties around us; we were placed next to a service station; the background music was too loud and only added more noise. Next time, I will ask for a very quiet table.Special Features:
- RitaVIPDined on 9/25/2014Sundance neveer disapooints - always consisting very good!Special Features:
- The best oysters anywhere!TataDined on 9/24/2014Whether fresh raw or Rockefeller, their oysters can't be beat...the Rockefeller is spot on the original recipe. Prime Rib, steaks also ranked as the best. Our family has been going there since the '80's and is our go to place for birthdays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romanticfoodie4lifeDined on 9/21/2014this was a great place for a romantic night with my boyfriend. i loved it and the food is great!Special Features:
- Reliably Outstanding3ItAllVIPDined on 9/21/2014Always good, always outstanding. Jeff is the the best and Sundance is our go-to for celebrating special occasions, and for anytime we want prime rib. Their calamari is not to be missed, either!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK.MickeyrDined on 9/18/2014Prime Rib and Rib-eye were a bit tasteless. Had better steaks. Does not compare to the better places and not really cheaper.Special Features:
- great timeCaptDined on 9/18/2014I picked this restaurant for my fiances 51st birthday, the food and service was most wonderful, great ambiance, decor comfortable easy peaceful time would definitely recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGabbzDined on 9/17/2014We ordered prim rib and it was just great! It was melt in your mouth kind of meat . Our server was very kind too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuckydogDined on 9/17/2014The prime rib was as good as advertised. The rest of the experience was good as well. The place has a traditional steak house feel with excellent service. The only complaint was that the noise level was fairly high. Well, what are you going to do with a full restaurant on a Thursday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LikeFrenchFoodDined on 9/16/2014Predictable, very good food, attentive service, good wine list, ambiance is rustic, great steaks, parking somewhat of a challenge,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & Great FoodFalguniMDined on 9/15/2014I was here with my my customers and we loved the food here as well as the service was great. Thank you!Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/15/2014Our experience was awesome. Apps (prawns and rolls) were good. Oysters and clam chowder were yummy. Filets and accoutrements were excellent. Martin is a great cook!Special Features:
- noise level was TOO loudDagoredDined on 9/13/2014I come to this restaurant a lot, I mean a lot and never on Saturday but my dining companion couldn't go during the week so Saturday it was. Holy smokes on this particular night Stanford was playing football and there was a large table of guests after the game and they were screaming and hollering and cheering at the top of their lungs through our entire time there. It was disappointing as this was my companions first time there after my continued bragging about this restaurant. I will never go on Saturday again. Food and service didn't disappoint as usual but the noise was over the top!Special Features:
- Perfect Palo AltoBarbVIPDined on 9/12/2014This somewhat-sporty long time restaurant never disappoints. The welcome sign at the entrance 'Members and Non-Members Only' hints at the wait staff's humorous and welcoming style. The prime rib was fantastic -- super tender, perfectly cooked. Just the right amount of attention, we weren't rushed at all. We will come back whenever we are in town!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sundance delivers!!!MartinDined on 9/11/2014Hadn't been to Sundance in years and decided to meet a friend there for dinner. Amazing New York Steak and Prime Rib! Seasoned and cooked to perfection. Great choice of sides but for me a baked potato with steak is the perfect combo. The wine list is very good with many good vintages going back 4 or 5 years. If you bring your own wine the $25 corkage fee ends up adding enough price to where it is virtually price neutral for the excellent wines they have there. Had the famous mud pie for desert and it was awesome! The bar area was very busy for a Thursday night but we did not have a problem finding a place to sit while we waited for our table. Overall, an excellent experience!Special Features:
- Many ThanksFoodiegalcaDined on 9/10/2014I have been dining at Sundance for many years and it has always been an amazing. The service is top notch, the food is delicious and the restaurant is well maintained. Sundance is the steak house I choose to go to whenever I am in the Palo Alto area. Thank you for the continued great service and amazing food. I look forward to my next dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good For Smaller Corporate DinnersBayAreaFoodieVIPDined on 9/9/2014This is a surf and turf restaurant with a very masculine style to the decor. They know how to properly cook a steak and lobster, and pair it with your choice of comfort food sides. In addition, the bar makes stiff, classic cocktails. We gather here for smaller corporate dinners, and the guys are always happily fueled up on food and drinks. Don't come here if you are a food snob with a list of dietary restrictions, it's not that kind of place!Special Features:
- An excellent fun experiencefab4Dined on 9/8/2014Us four lady friends were celebrating one's birthday and loved our time together! Our waiter was so much fun but not too intrusive. His interaction with us was very much appreciated and added a fun element to our celebration. The food was so tasty, the pasta was out of this world, steak and mushroom done well, nicely spiced, with a kick. Thank you so much for a great total experience!Special Features:
- SteaklikediningDined on 9/7/2014The service was exceptional. We were a large party. The steaks were all very good, and the one fish dish was okay- dry. Should have stayed with the steak.Special Features: