110 W. Illinois St.
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sundachicago.com/
- Phone: 3126440500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Thursday- Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Jess DeGuzman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Email email@example.com for Private Party Room information and in-house customized catering options.
PARTY PLATTERS TO-GO:
Order party platters for "pick-up" for your office lunch, event and more.
For 'full-service" off-premise catering inquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
- Entertainment: Rockit Ranch Productions can book your entertainment for your private party needs. No live entertainment is offered in non-private areas.
- Special Events: SUNDA SOCIAL: 4 PM - 6 PM - Weekdays!
Meet. Pair. Share. Sunda social goes on Monday through Friday from 4pm-6pm in the lounge and bar with half-priced appetizers, and specialty cocktails. It’s our best deal of the week and it happens every day!
SUNDA BRUNCH: 10 AM - Weekends!
Saturday & Sunday Brunch features a special brunch menu with new items as well as Sunda Signature favorites, a gourmet “build your own” bloody mary bar, asian-inspired Mimosa-Kits and more! Brunch services from 10am – 3pm on Saturday and 10am – 4pm on Sundays.
- Cross Street: LaSalle
- Public Transit: #22 Bus, stop at Grand coming from the North. Stop at Hubbard if coming from the South. Walk a ½ block west.
#36 Bus, stop at Illinois coming from either direction, then walk 1 ½ block west.
Red line train Grand Stop then walk one block north to Illinois
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available.
Parking lots nearby at the corner of Illinois and LaSalle.
Meter street parking nearby.
A word from Sunda
Located within Chicago’s bustling River North neighborhood, Sunda pairs New Asian fare with Midwestern hospitality for an award-winning concept. Offering contemporary interpretations of traditional dishes from Japan, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and more, the Michelin-recommended concept from Rockit Ranch Productions has received numerous accolades, including Best New Restaurant and Chicago’s Sexiest Restaurant. Showcasing exceptional cuisine from Executive Chef Jess DeGuzman, mod décor from renowned designer Tony Chi, a chic, yet approachable ambiance and seating for more than 200 guests, Sunda has rapidly become a mainstay on the Chicago dining scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sunda reviews from OpenTable diners
392 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (233)fit for foodies (226)good for groups (190)special occasion (167)vibrant bar scene (122)romantic (83)neighborhood gem (61)great for lunch (56)great for brunch (50)late-night find (41)notable wine list (34)great for outdoor dining (28)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great foodjohngVIPDined on 9/20/2014If you want great food and great service this is the place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Place was recommended by a friend and I am glad that we went! The food was exceptional, very different dishes than you would expect, not the traditional Asian rest. Brussel sprout salad was a must-had to try it due to past reviews and it was amazing. Service was very helpful recommendations, some unique items were perfect. Tastly flavored mimoas llike mango topped off a great lunch. We had a hiccup when we came and tried to order lunch on a Sat. at noon as they were only prepped for brunch and we had our hearts set on a lunch items. First they said sorry....then I think the manager realized that came back and told us we could rolls on the lunch menu. They should decide if they have lunch on weekends or indicate that online.Great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful Sushi, NoisybiillyDined on 9/19/2014Rice was gummy, fish was warm, cuts were inconsistent, prices were way too high for the quality, and the noise level was through the roof. Overall not quite sure what the concept was aiming for either. Seemed very tired.
- Great as alwaysDanny847Dined on 9/19/2014Dan was my server and he provided excellent service. He recommended the Loveblock wine which was very good.Special Features:
- Waited 45 minutes despite reso.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014We had a reservation for a party of 4 at 8pm on a Wednesday (arguably not the most happening night of the week and arguably a little late for dinner...) and still weren't seated until close to 9pm. Fortunately we already knew we liked the food at Sunda, otherwise this would have made us question whether it was worth the hassle to come back. Why make a reservation (and arrive on time) if you are still going to have to wait for an hour? That said - the food is always good and the atmosphere is fun. Just surprising to have such a bad experience getting seated late on a week night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExoticMomSaysVIPDined on 9/17/2014Sushi, buns, noodle salad taken to more interesting levels made a great lunch in a beautiful room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelMichaelDined on 9/15/2014Food is amazing. Wait staff even more amazing. Way too noisy.Special Features:
- Sushi with a twistDeedeeDined on 9/14/2014Interesting combinations, fresh flavors. The roaste brussel sprouts salad is worth a visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi in Chicagotravel2eat2shopDined on 9/14/2014We wanted to find some good sushi on our trip to Chicago, and there were so many options but we decided on Sunda based on a recommendation from friends and the proximity to our hotel. The cocktail options were great, I had the lemon wasabi martini and we shared the only hot sake they served which was also good. We had the Brussel sprout salad and Beef wrap appetizers, both were delicious. We ordered 3 sushi rolls, one of which they took awhile to come to our table but we were in no hurry. Our favorite roll was the Firecracker. Would definitely go back if in Chicago!Special Features:
- Food is always great!SarajoDined on 9/13/2014I took girlfriends from Michigan here Saturday night and we had a great time. They loved the food (such great flavors) and ambiance.Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsSucker4SushiDined on 9/13/2014My friend and I heard about Sunda and loved the pictures on their Instagram. Such wonderful service and absolutely delicious food! The pear sake is now one of my favorite cocktails while the lobster wagyu has set the bar for sushi rolls. I wi definitely be going back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, loud atmosphereCLEColeVIPDined on 9/10/2014The food was excellent and inventive. Each stop at the table to deliver food was met with anticipation and eagerness born from the previous course. The quality was excellent and preparation was nearly always phenomenal. It was loud and difficult to talk to our companions at our table. If I were to go back again I would probably return earlier in the evening when it wasn't quite as vibrant a scene.Special Features:
- uninspiringAtmospherelessDined on 9/6/2014Went for brunch on Saturday. Dead quiet. A couple of dim sum options were good, a couple of others bland/nothing exciting. Waiter forgot our 2 drink orders seconds after we ordered. Would not return.
- Excellent food and great cocktails!FoodstalkerchicagoDined on 9/5/2014The food here is always great ! Love the rolls ! Although the ambience is great - the noise level is way too high. It was so loud that could hardly hear anyone on our table. Maybe would not recommend going for any kind of business or formal dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for birthdaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Celebrated my birthday here and the restaurant provided complimentary cake and a $10 Gift Card to return. Thought this was a great gesture. Overall food was delish, just needed more people so I could have ordered more items to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional fooddrkittensDined on 9/5/2014Went for a celebratory dinner with a few others, and ordered to share. Most of the food we had was really exceptional, with a few things being merely good, which is nothing to complain about! I took away one star because we were put into room towards the back, which was a bit quieter than the rest of the place... that is until the large group of twenty-somethings filled the entire rest of the room. After that it was so loud it was hard to talk and be heard at all, which really detracted from the second half of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious.ChiGolfDined on 9/5/2014Sunda never disappoints- Our 4th visit and we always leave looking forward to the next visit. Went there for my birthday and was surprised with a complementary slice of yummy cake and a candle. Everything we ate was scrumptious.Special Features:
- A variety of deliciousness1PickyPalateDined on 9/4/2014Sunda has such a great variety of fabulous food! It's really for everyone! You can have your own dish...or the best part and they recommend that you share, so everyone can pick a dish and then share amongst the group! Looking forward to going back for another fantastic experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and sakeMarioDined on 9/1/2014If you are looking for great food with a very good choice of Sake, that is the place. Restaurant decor is nice. Service good, staff friendly and professionnal. But this is not your romantic candle dinner place if that is what your looking for. It was our second time at Sunda, and next time will go to Chicago, we will eat there again.Special Features:
- Not as AdvertisedFoodiequeenVIPDined on 8/31/2014I went there for this great bloody mary in thrillist, but no where did it say the waiter would bring over this cart and you had to pick what you wanted out of bowls that you cant see what's in them. Food very bland and small portions for what you pay. Never will I return.
- Attentive and high on serviceHappenedinVegasVIPDined on 8/30/2014We came to celebrate our anniversary and were impressed with the attention provided by the hostess, server, and staff. The sushi is very good, albeit a little pricey, but presentation is excellent. Ambiance and overall atmosphere is trendy but not snooty, and service is very good. Will recommend the Red Dragon - a must have. Will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunda is the best place to be!WeenDined on 8/30/2014Great food. Great service. Great sake. Great restaurant. Would do it all over again.Special Features:
- So happy with this choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014I really wanted good sushi to celebrate my 35th birthday. I love sushi, but my husband has always been on the fence about it. After our experience at Sunda, he is now a fan! What a great dinner! Their handrolls were amazing! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent! The bestMonimoniDined on 8/29/2014Tuna sashimi I have had in my life. The food was really fresh. The asparagus salad was also a must! The ambiance was perfect! I recommend you go dressed up, since people that go there are very fashionable. The music is loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dropped ball this timeKkp27Dined on 8/28/2014Although our waitress was semi attentive. The food arrived incorrect and out of order. Miso soup during the middle of the meal. Grilled spare ribs were all over. No presentation or uniformity. Just thrown on the grill and dropped in a plate. If you are going to be in river north. You need to bring your A game and be consistent. This was not the case this time. The rolls were good, but nothing extra ordinary.Special Features:
- Wonderful SundaeuglizDined on 8/27/2014As always, excellent food and excellent wait staff. I'm always excited to try something new off the menu. The sushi is fabulous and the halo halo desert is the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- Great service!CitygalDined on 8/27/2014We often go here to celebrate birthdays and the staff is amazing. Even though our table was ready 30 minutes after our reservation time, they were so apologetic and even told the previous diners to finish up! I have to admit that I am not crazy about the food but everyone in my group loved it so I'm probably in the minority. For me it seems a little over hyped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicBabygracieDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I brought our friends to Sunda for the first time his last weekend. Everything was fantastic! Food quality was great, flavors were unique, interesting and fresh! I have so many favorite dishes there are too many to list. Great atmosphere and wonderful staff from the hosts to the bus staff. Our server was great and she was on top of things most of the night. Towards the end she fell back slightly but only because she had gotten sat with two larger parties, overall she was a great server. We will all definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night on the townSkglenDined on 8/23/2014Service and atmosphere was excellent , food was very good , food allergies kept me from trying more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not happy with the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014I have been to Sunda once before and had a great time. This time I brought a new friend with me for lunch. The waitress was not helpful at all and was missing for a long time. I ordered a salad and app and my friend ordered a pasta dish. The salad was not brought out at the same time and they didn't even know about it. It took over 10 minutes for them to bring it. My app was served and was not hot. Lukewarm at best. I probably will not go back.
- FavawesomeDined on 8/21/2014Hands down...top 3. Good food, good people, good ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Food and Cool AtmosphereJonhaasDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Sunda. We had a great waiter that was spot on in his recommendations. We enjoyed 4 smaller plates and a desert, along with a few drinks. Only thing I would have done differently is adding the beef lollipops to our selections that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencebjamersoVIPDined on 8/16/2014Food was fantastic and did not disappoint after hearing great things from friends. The specialty cocktails were amazing as well. The best thing we had to eat (on a friends recommendation) was the crispy brussel sprout salad. Not even something I would have considered with the vast menu of options without the recommendation. But it blew me awaySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food was all very good! We loved the brussel sprout salad, tiger shrimp tempura and pork fried rice. It was a little loud in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerFallonEatsChicagoDined on 8/13/2014The dining experience was terrific. This is my favorite Chicago - Asian spot. The Brussels sprout salad, and rock shrimp are a must every time. I tried the Dim Sum buns for the first time - pork belly was delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow ServiceLia31VIPDined on 8/13/2014We came early for the Sunda Social hour, the restaurant wasn't very busy and yet it took almost 30 minutes for anything to come out, and this was true for everything we ordered at any point. It was so frustrating, and all of the appetizers we ordered from the happy hour menu were mediocre at best. The drinks were very good, but took even longer than the food to get.
- Happening placeBrendanDined on 8/11/2014Good food, great service, but too loud. I ordered the miso cod and was quite satisfied. Oxtail potstickers were also good. My dining companion reported that the ultimate noodle was a bit heavy on the garlic. Service was excellent and attentive. Saketini was a bit sweet for my taste. They did well accommodating my allergies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaegVIPDined on 8/10/2014Food and drinks were delicious. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful with the menu. We had a great time!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacking in good sushiMoemtgbkr1Dined on 8/9/2014I am a big sushi fan however the two rolls we ordered were well below par the rice was soggy and one of the rolls which was supposed to include various fish items was 75% cream cheese. The pad Thai was cold and very bland even after we had specifically asked the server to make it extra spicy.
- Fusion AsianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014I went in with the expectation that this was Asian cuisine. I recommend you do not do the same. Some of the dishes require an open mind. Their twin towers sushi was good but not great. The mochi ice cream dessert was delicious. Would not go back for main course, but would go back for dessert.