110 W. Illinois St.
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sundachicago.com/
- Phone: 3126440500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Thursday- Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Jess DeGuzman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Email firstname.lastname@example.org for Private Party Room information and in-house customized catering options.
PARTY PLATTERS TO-GO:
Order party platters for "pick-up" for your office lunch, event and more.
For 'full-service" off-premise catering inquiries please email email@example.com with your request.
- Entertainment: Rockit Ranch Productions can book your entertainment for your private party needs. No live entertainment is offered in non-private areas.
- Special Events: SUNDA SOCIAL: 4 PM - 6 PM - Weekdays!
Meet. Pair. Share. Sunda social goes on Monday through Friday from 4pm-6pm in the lounge and bar with half-priced appetizers, and specialty cocktails. It’s our best deal of the week and it happens every day!
SUNDA BRUNCH: 10 AM - Weekends!
Saturday & Sunday Brunch features a special brunch menu with new items as well as Sunda Signature favorites, a gourmet “build your own” bloody mary bar, asian-inspired Mimosa-Kits and more! Brunch services from 10am – 3pm on Saturday and 10am – 4pm on Sundays.
- Cross Street: LaSalle
- Public Transit: #22 Bus, stop at Grand coming from the North. Stop at Hubbard if coming from the South. Walk a ½ block west.
#36 Bus, stop at Illinois coming from either direction, then walk 1 ½ block west.
Red line train Grand Stop then walk one block north to Illinois
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available.
Parking lots nearby at the corner of Illinois and LaSalle.
Meter street parking nearby.
A word from Sunda
Located within Chicago’s bustling River North neighborhood, Sunda pairs New Asian fare with Midwestern hospitality for an award-winning concept. Offering contemporary interpretations of traditional dishes from Japan, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and more, the Michelin-recommended concept from Rockit Ranch Productions has received numerous accolades, including Best New Restaurant and Chicago’s Sexiest Restaurant. Showcasing exceptional cuisine from Executive Chef Jess DeGuzman, mod décor from renowned designer Tony Chi, a chic, yet approachable ambiance and seating for more than 200 guests, Sunda has rapidly become a mainstay on the Chicago dining scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sunda reviews from OpenTable diners
417 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (265)fit for foodies (253)good for groups (213)special occasion (173)vibrant bar scene (123)romantic (84)neighborhood gem (60)great for brunch (46)great for lunch (46)notable wine list (40)late-night find (39)great for outdoor dining (22)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great First Time!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/26/2014While my wife had been here several times before, it was my first time. I really loved the decor of the place and the food was excellent! I will most definitely come back to this restaurant again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Great ambiance and great food. Meals are for sharing as they will come in any order.Special Features:
- Huh!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/25/2014The restaurant is beautiful and the food is interesting and very tasty. However, the restaurant is sooooo noisy that at party of four could not carry on a conversation. The server could barely hear our order. We ate fast and bolted before having desert--impossible to spend an evening there.Special Features:
- A fun, vibrant spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/25/2014I like Sunda for it's extensive menu--even with a large group, there's definitely something to satisfy everyone, whether it be dim sum, sushi, Asian noodle dishes, etc. All of the food is delicious, although I would argue that some of it is outrageously overpriced (most sushi rolls are around $20). It's a cool space with an upbeat atmosphere.Special Features:
- SushiSmittyDined on 10/25/2014One party enjoys sushi, one party enjoys cooked meals; both were sated and satisfied with the offerings at Sunda; a little on the pricey side..Special Features:
- Great Menu!FoodieAtHeartDined on 10/25/2014First time here at Sunda. Recommended by Concierge at our hotel. While the restaurant was busy, I never felt rushed or not attended to. Great expedient service. Server, Ilmoon (SP) was very knowledgable about the menu, portions, and what to order for our cravings. Sushi was excellent as were the oxtail potstickers. Craft drinks were awesome..I had the lychee drink and my boyfriend had the spicy grass tiger(?) drink-awesome! Overall it was a great experience and would go again without hesitation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsRoseVIPDined on 10/24/2014Love the food here - many dishes have a Filipino twist. I recommend the Sunda Sundae for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatsweetDined on 10/23/2014We came early and had no problem getting a table. That was lucky as it filled up quickly. The waitress was very helpful with suggestions and the food was excellent. The only negative was the noise level was unpleasant when the place filled up, so that we were happy to leave by the time we finished our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRacerRSDined on 10/21/2014As always, great food and great service! The sushi is the best in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyDined on 10/19/2014The food was nothing memorable especially since they forgot to bring one entree to the table. They treated for the desserts bc we were celebrating a birthday but honestly were still hungry when we left.
- Sunda Round 2evanston2Dined on 10/19/2014This was my second time at Sunda and it didn't disappoint. I ordered almost all of the same things (you can't leave without trying the brussel sprouts) and everything lived up to the pedestal I had put them on in my memory. YUM. My only comment is that it's a little loud. I was part of a table of 4 and we had to speak loudly to hear one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic atmosphere!AHumphreysDined on 10/18/2014The food was so good! I recommend the Brussel sprout salad. We had a party of 6, it's great for groups because you can share everything. The atmosphere is really fun and energetic! Great spot out with friends on a Saturday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice space, but.......SC9999Dined on 10/18/2014This is a very nice space to start your night out on the town, but the food was average at best and overprice. I got the ultimate noodles and there was nothing ultimate about them, the only good thing about them is that it did have a decent amount of fish in it. But I could of went to Siena Tavern and had the squid ink pasta instead, which is a far more superior dish. The dessert was the best part, I had the smore. I loved the space and I would consider coming back for drinks before I go out for the night. Maybe I'll come back for a small bite before I go out and try some of the sushi rolls. But for a full out dining experience I would have to pass on this place, since there are so many other superior options in Chicago.Special Features:
- Hip Hot SpotDine4funDined on 10/18/2014Great selection outstanding food fun to share dishes with friends. Hip hot spotSpecial Features:
- Impressive!ChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014I took my book group (10)for brunch before our show. Everyone was impressed, and these are pretty picky Chinese gourmet cooks. Our favorites were the buns with pork belly and ducks(my personal favorite), crispy Brussels sprouts salad, noodles with crabmeat and those delicate potstickers and dumplings. Though it is pricier than authentic chinatown dim sums, the downtown location and the ambiance more than made up for it. I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Bad ServiceYumAllTheTimeDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I arrived for our seating early and went to the bar for drinks. It must have been an off night since the bar service was completely disorganized. When they arrived after a long wait the drinks were amazingly well made. Once we sat down, it was 45 minutes until our appetizer of pork buns arrived, which seemed to be a long time even for a busy restaurant. An even longer wait for our sushi rolls occurred thereafter. When the food arrived, it was extremely well made and some of the best sushi I have had. If you can put up with the crowds, poor service, wait times and just being another number in the restaurant's que in order to order great food, then go.Special Features:
- Loud but food is deliciousInternationalfoodieDined on 10/17/2014What a treat! This restaurant is creative and the flavors are amazing! It is Asian but there are unique twists. We had the brussels sprouts salad (this is a must-have) and various rolls and small plates off the menu. Dessert was also terrific. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Generous and delicious sashimiPrincecharmingDined on 10/17/2014We both had the chef's choice sashimi platter. Delicious, good variety, and large portion. This was a Saturday night at 8:30 and it was too busy for the staff to handle. We were not greeted upon arriving and had to wait a long time to be acknowledged or seated. Many tables were not cleared from recent diners and used glasses were piled up by the sushi bar. Our overworked waiter was terrific and efficient once we were seated. Overall, good food, but it is probably best to not go on a Saturday night.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014Would rate this a 5 star experience but the bartender either had tunnel vision or they are understaffed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014It was the worst dining experience ever in terms of noise
- Awesome food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014Unique and very flavorful food. My guests were first-timers and they loved it.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014Wonderful food great service ideal location best ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencePerfectplaceDined on 10/11/2014Food was excellent and unique. Service was spot on and we thoroughly enjoyed the entire dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VictorVictorDined on 10/11/2014WE LOVED VICTOR. Such an attentive and thoughtful waiter. Made excellent recommendations and was generally just so pleasant to speak with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi-south Asian varietyMomSaysVIPDined on 10/11/2014Not cheap but a pleasant place. All for sharing. Plates come out when they're ready. No particular design to the meal. Short rib pot stickers, crispy sweet shrimp, tuna sashimi, escolar, peanut noodle papaya salad. Nice. Perhaps more circus than bread.Special Features:
- Great service, Better foodaf89VIPDined on 10/11/2014My party and I absolutely loved Sunda! Our waiter was very personable! we generally pick our time ordering and we never felt rushed and everything we got was absolutely delicious. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014Was seated right away, the girls at the hostess stand are always friendly. Sat at our table, which by the way was wobbly and drive us crazy, for 15 mins before a server ever came to our table. Ordered appetizers and drinks, both appetizers came before our drinks did, which we had to remind our server that we hadn't gotten yet. The food and drinks are amazing, including the sticky rice with tuna and jalapeño, the pad Thai and my favorite drink, the appeared Sake. But each time I have been there, the bar staff is extremely slow, not particularly friendly and the service is not very good. Go for the food and the scenery, not for the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food EverenjoyetnVIPDined on 10/10/2014Food is always great here and great ambiance. I like to try a new dish each time and never seem to be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- likestastyfoodVIPDined on 10/8/2014The food was excellent and the waiter was very accommodating as I have some food restrictions. Pretty restaurant, however, unless you are under 25, the noise level is a little too hard to tolerate. I would still consider going back as the food was that memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cornbredVIPDined on 10/8/2014Sunda has delicious, expensive food. Some of the things we ordered, namely the Brussels sprouts, were worth every penny. Other items like the sushi rolls did not seem to warrant the price when equally delicious and less expensive rolls can easily be found elsewhere. The restaurant itself is beautiful, but also suffers from the not uncommon problems of poor acoustics and extreme temperatures. I look forward to my next visit...with caveats.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2014Excellent sushi and very fresh! Great ambiance and the two tunas, red dragon and unagi was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DrinksAvantgarde10Dined on 10/4/2014This restaurant has good food, but their drinks are simply amazing. Try the blackberry limeade, it is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- br1600Dined on 10/3/2014The food was quite good, as was the service but … the noise level wasn't 'energetic,' it was off the charts, to say it was almost painful would not be an exaggeration. I thought one went out to a good restaurant to enjoy the food, and it was good - so what's the point of not only making no effort to deaden the noise of the crowd but to play loud music over it? We inhaled our food and got out as fast as we could. As you have probably already guessed, my wife and I are over 35.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Food was excellent, recommendations from server were very good. Hope to enjoy soon when we return to Chicago.Special Features:
- A little hyped.trconspiratorVIPDined on 10/2/2014I've been twice, and I'm not really sure what this place is about, except for the "scene". The food is not that great for what you pay. It's good - no doubt, but if for sincere foodies, this is not the restaurant. The cocktails are OK. They don't taste like $14. The dessert menu is the best part, but it doesn't make the dining experience worth how much you would spend on the rest of the meal. I don't recommend brining your S.O. here on any special occasion. Both times me and my S.O. went to Sunda, we sat next to a couple, who we were pretty sure was some older man and some sort of paid escort, scantly dressed. Mediocre everything else.
- A restaurant that cares about FoodDakotaKivaVIPDined on 10/2/2014This was my first time at Sunda, and I am a lover of good food. Traveling the world is part of my life, and Thailand and Southeast Asian places have been visited by me many times. Sunda's Pad Thai was a welcome change to all the "quick" restaurants who make this relatively simple dish to cook. However, this pad Thai was well-prepared, and the chef had carefully prepared the ingredients, which had been nicely prepared. The Pad Thai was tasty, and sambal oelek was available for more spice. The miso soup was nicely prepared, and served at the appropriate temperature. This lunch experience was nice, and the energetic sound level did not prevent me from having a good conversation, despite having a hearing deficit.Special Features:
- Spoiled surpriseJimSDined on 10/1/2014Wrote in my reservation that dinner was for a SURPRISE birthday. Called a week before to confirm that it was a SURPRISE bday dinner. Called day of to reiterate that it was a SURPRISE bday dinner. As soon as my wife walks in, hostess tells her the party is for 9, not her expected 3. Instead of playing it off, hostess still says the reservation is for 9. Not a huge deal but you'd think 3 separate reminders would have done the job. They wanted to charge $2 per slice if we brought a cake. We could bring in cupcakes at no charge, but they had to be store-bought with receipt for proof of purchase. Restaurant was incredibly loud. Could barely hear the person next to me, so impossible to have a conversation with a large party.
- outstanding experience to entertainjrh1228Dined on 9/30/2014This was my 6th time to Sunda. I alway attempt to secure a reservation when in town to entertain clients. Great food, great place! The staff are professionals. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a special occasion or impress clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wine!!StephDined on 9/27/2014Been here several times both with friends and date night with my husband. Great service every time. The food is spectacular! We always get several dishes to share. This time had a nice bottle of Far Niente..perfect with our meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The staff made me feel like a million bucks. They treated me so well and were very generous and helpful.Special Features: