110 W. Illinois St.
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sundachicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 644-0500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Thursday- Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Jess DeGuzman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Email firstname.lastname@example.org for Private Party Room information and in-house customized catering options.
PARTY PLATTERS TO-GO:
Order party platters for "pick-up" for your office lunch, event and more.
For 'full-service" off-premise catering inquiries please email email@example.com with your request.
- Entertainment: Rockit Ranch Productions can book your entertainment for your private party needs. No live entertainment is offered in non-private areas.
- Special Events: SUNDA SOCIAL: 4 PM - 6 PM - Weekdays!
Meet. Pair. Share. Sunda social goes on Monday through Friday from 4pm-6pm in the lounge and bar with half-priced appetizers, and specialty cocktails. It’s our best deal of the week and it happens every day!
SUNDA BRUNCH: 10 AM - Weekends!
Saturday & Sunday Brunch features a special brunch menu with new items as well as Sunda Signature favorites, a gourmet “build your own” bloody mary bar, asian-inspired Mimosa-Kits and more! Brunch services from 10am – 3pm on Saturday and 10am – 4pm on Sundays.
- Cross Street: LaSalle
- Public Transit: #22 Bus, stop at Grand coming from the North. Stop at Hubbard if coming from the South. Walk a ½ block west.
#36 Bus, stop at Illinois coming from either direction, then walk 1 ½ block west.
Red line train Grand Stop then walk one block north to Illinois
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available.
Parking lots nearby at the corner of Illinois and LaSalle.
Meter street parking nearby.
A word from Sunda
Located within Chicago’s bustling River North neighborhood, Sunda pairs New Asian fare with Midwestern hospitality for an award-winning concept. Offering contemporary interpretations of traditional dishes from Japan, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and more, the Michelin-recommended concept from Rockit Ranch Productions has received numerous accolades, including Best New Restaurant and Chicago’s Sexiest Restaurant. Showcasing exceptional cuisine from Executive Chef Jess DeGuzman, mod décor from renowned designer Tony Chi, a chic, yet approachable ambiance and seating for more than 200 guests, Sunda has rapidly become a mainstay on the Chicago dining scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sunda reviews from OpenTable diners
428 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (275)hot spot (274)good for groups (226)special occasion (184)vibrant bar scene (136)romantic (84)neighborhood gem (59)notable wine list (42)late-night find (42)great for lunch (39)great for brunch (37)great for outdoor dining (19)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Bgm2VIPDined on 11/20/2014black cod, brussel sprout salad, pork belly skewers are all a must getSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/19/2014great food great service. make sure you make a reservation, you will need it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatjcl124VIPDined on 11/17/2014Great food and service and besides the wine very reasonable pricingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, open but warm surroundings.JstillabDined on 11/17/2014Brussels sprouts were amazing! We enjoyed most of our shared dishes and would try this place again to see if our first experience could be improved on. Our server was a bit abrupt and left us for awhile with empty cocktail glasses but the floor manager quickly spotted the error. Large groups there that evening but the noise was tolerable. The sprouts were the star of the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MakakiloVIPDined on 11/17/2014The food was wonderful as usual and our server Moises R. was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, but the food not so greatAndreabDined on 11/16/2014I have been looking forward to going to Sunda for quiet some time. My roommate and I finally decided to try this place and we celebrated our one week of surviving living in the city. I would give this 4 stars based on the service, but 2 1/2-3 stars for the food. We had the red dragon, spicy tuna crispy rice, sweet and spicy chili roll and the number 10. The food was just okay- I don't think I would return for just the food. The quality of sushi was meh and personally I am not a fan of warm rice and all the sushi rice was pretty warm. I did very much enjoy the atmosphere and would consider returning for cocktails and apps, but I would definitely have dinner somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!lm42Dined on 11/15/2014Sunda is a hot spot in the downtown area of Chicago. Had really fresh and unique sushi rolls. Great drink menu. Atmosphere is energetic but may be a little on the loud side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NathalieDined on 11/10/2014I am still dreaiming about the lobster/bacon sushi and the brussel sprout salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food ruleseatdrinkbmerryDined on 11/9/2014We had a pre-concert dinner on a Sunday night. When we arrived at 5:30pm, it was fairly empty. By 6:45, it was jamming! We ordered the brussel sprout salad, kalchi wraps, chicken pad thai and miso black cod: all were fantastic. The combo of the miso and cod sitting on a bed of roasted eggplant: sublime. The kalchi wraps: they come 2 to an order which is not enough: you'll want more. The brussel sprout salad was a delicious variation of an asian slaw. The only thing we'd pass on next time is the pad thai: it just wasn't as good as the others. Our waiter was attentive and explained that dishes were served when they are ready. That's nice! We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- So many options!LadyofstyleVIPDined on 11/8/2014I have been to Sunda many times, with smal groups, large groups and on dates, they never disappoint. They atmosphere is great, food is amazing and there are so many options. The gluten free menu was just as great as the standard. Definitely one of my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evan made it an incredible evening!NeighborhoodGemVIPDined on 11/8/2014Evan, the Lead Server, offered to make our entree selections so we could spend more time in catching up with friends. His selections were spot on! Our most memorable dinner this year! Thank you Evan!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stellarTSP1Dined on 11/8/2014This is our go to place when we come in from out of town- never disappointed.Special Features:
- spectacularwifeomaticDined on 11/8/2014Sunda was a fantastic restaurant. The food was recognizable yet often with a twist like the brussel sprout salad. It was the best we've ever had but aren't sure exactly what else was in it besides brussel sprouts. We were a party of 4 and ordered 8 things to share plus dessert. Loved that we each got to taste a variety of dishes.Special Features:
- Love it...billy8aDined on 11/5/2014I go there all the time I'm in Chicago... great for a late night dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love The Food, Hate The NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/5/2014My husband & I loved the food at Sunda. We took our server's recommendations for several dishes and were very pleased. The lighting and ambiance of the restaurant were good but the noise level was nearly unbearable (a Wednesday night). My husband & I had to shout at each other across the table and still could barely hear each other. Eating and shouting do not mix, so we barely talked the whole meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodEnjoyEatingOutDined on 11/4/2014The food at this restaurant is amazing! I would definitely recommend for anyone who enjoys asian food to make a stop in here and partake of their extensive menu. However, I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking to have a quiet intimate dinner. It can be a bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level was untenable.FooddocDined on 11/4/2014I would return if there was a quiet place to eat but I felt rushed because of the noise. There is no reason for that decibel level except at a football game. It doesn't add anything to the "chicness" of the restaurant That being said the food was outstanding just take your noise canceling head phonesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantabulous!!!!juliekVIPDined on 11/4/2014I've been to this restaurant many, many times and it never disappoints! The Brussels sprout salad is just amazing. I order it every time I bring someone new. Sushi is so fresh and innovative. Great selection of sake and killer, killer desserts. We had the blueberry cobbler the last time which was chock full of big, plump blueberries and creamy ice cream on top.Special Features:
- 0 for 2 on lunch experiences - doneLeleWVIPDined on 11/4/2014I tried Sunda for lunch last week with a couple of coworkers. I live in the neighborhood and I'd been there several times in the past; in general, I had no complaints.My last experience there, however, was borderline disastrous - the worst server I may ever have had. Hoping that was just an anomaly, I decided to give them another try. Sadly, it wasn't much better. Took forever for him to take even our drink orders. I asked about a particular bottle of wine; he said he really didn't know the bottled wine, but could recommend one of the wines by the glass. Really? This in a restaurant that sells Opus One for several hundred dollars? Pokey, unhelpful service was exacerbated by disappointing changes in their lunch menu. Bye bye, Sunda.
- tramDined on 11/2/2014Crispy Brussel Sprout appetizer is a must starter! In a 6-8 business group function, Sunda is a fairly noisy environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUNDAJohnBCVIPDined on 11/1/2014I have been a regular to SUNDA in River North and frequent it at least one a month. The management, wait- and kitchen-staff have not only met but most often exceeded my expectations for good quality and well prepared food and service. They go the extra mile to insure that my selections for appetizer, sushi and entree with sides are paced well and do not come out of the kitchen on top of one another. Also, the kitchen-staff always meet my dietary meeds and most often are agreeable to the substitutions or other modifications to my entrees. The oxtail pot stickers and the miso black cod are my favorites.Special Features:
- Fabulously freshBingoDined on 10/31/2014What a lovely eclectic blend of sushi and Asian fare. My five friends were seated quickly, welcomed warmly and the waiter was so helpful that he pulled together what we thought was an appealing and sumptuous menu. In addition to the sushi we came for, we were treated to several Filipino entrees from their chef. Although the noise level is a little energetic, the food and wine was memorable. I've already recommended to several friends.Special Features:
- Great experienceGeec24Dined on 10/31/2014Was visiting Chicago, a friend recommended Sunda. Food was amazingly, restaurant was spacious and lively. Ambience was perfect for the evening. Great table set up for larger groups as well. I will definitely go back thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2014Unfortunately we weren't very impressed by this restaurant. The dishes were too eccentric to the point of just not being very tasty. We had the Pad Thai and another noodle dish. The noodle dish (whose name I forget) was too sweet and tasted like sweet and sour noodles.
- Great fusion dishesbrianjpDined on 10/30/2014This place came highly recommended and Sunda did not disappoint. Innovative dishes with a lot of different flavors. A diverse selection of food and wine. Definitely would return on my next trip to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic menuBillVTDined on 10/30/2014Sunda continues to set a high bar with its service and evolving menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy sushiBigCDined on 10/30/2014Hip place, good food. Although it's small plates so it can get expensive, which is why I'd recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First Time!!!ValpoEricVIPDined on 10/26/2014While my wife had been here several times before, it was my first time. I really loved the decor of the place and the food was excellent! I will most definitely come back to this restaurant again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightRJreviewDined on 10/25/2014Great ambiance and great food. Meals are for sharing as they will come in any order.Special Features:
- Huh!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/25/2014The restaurant is beautiful and the food is interesting and very tasty. However, the restaurant is sooooo noisy that at party of four could not carry on a conversation. The server could barely hear our order. We ate fast and bolted before having desert--impossible to spend an evening there.Special Features:
- A fun, vibrant spotChiFoodieVIPDined on 10/25/2014I like Sunda for it's extensive menu--even with a large group, there's definitely something to satisfy everyone, whether it be dim sum, sushi, Asian noodle dishes, etc. All of the food is delicious, although I would argue that some of it is outrageously overpriced (most sushi rolls are around $20). It's a cool space with an upbeat atmosphere.Special Features:
- SushiSmittyDined on 10/25/2014One party enjoys sushi, one party enjoys cooked meals; both were sated and satisfied with the offerings at Sunda; a little on the pricey side..Special Features:
- Great Menu!FoodieAtHeartDined on 10/25/2014First time here at Sunda. Recommended by Concierge at our hotel. While the restaurant was busy, I never felt rushed or not attended to. Great expedient service. Server, Ilmoon (SP) was very knowledgable about the menu, portions, and what to order for our cravings. Sushi was excellent as were the oxtail potstickers. Craft drinks were awesome..I had the lychee drink and my boyfriend had the spicy grass tiger(?) drink-awesome! Overall it was a great experience and would go again without hesitation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsRoseVIPDined on 10/24/2014Love the food here - many dishes have a Filipino twist. I recommend the Sunda Sundae for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatsweetDined on 10/23/2014We came early and had no problem getting a table. That was lucky as it filled up quickly. The waitress was very helpful with suggestions and the food was excellent. The only negative was the noise level was unpleasant when the place filled up, so that we were happy to leave by the time we finished our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRacerRSDined on 10/21/2014As always, great food and great service! The sushi is the best in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyDined on 10/19/2014The food was nothing memorable especially since they forgot to bring one entree to the table. They treated for the desserts bc we were celebrating a birthday but honestly were still hungry when we left.
- Sunda Round 2evanston2Dined on 10/19/2014This was my second time at Sunda and it didn't disappoint. I ordered almost all of the same things (you can't leave without trying the brussel sprouts) and everything lived up to the pedestal I had put them on in my memory. YUM. My only comment is that it's a little loud. I was part of a table of 4 and we had to speak loudly to hear one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic atmosphere!AHumphreysDined on 10/18/2014The food was so good! I recommend the Brussel sprout salad. We had a party of 6, it's great for groups because you can share everything. The atmosphere is really fun and energetic! Great spot out with friends on a Saturday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice space, but.......SC9999Dined on 10/18/2014This is a very nice space to start your night out on the town, but the food was average at best and overprice. I got the ultimate noodles and there was nothing ultimate about them, the only good thing about them is that it did have a decent amount of fish in it. But I could of went to Siena Tavern and had the squid ink pasta instead, which is a far more superior dish. The dessert was the best part, I had the smore. I loved the space and I would consider coming back for drinks before I go out for the night. Maybe I'll come back for a small bite before I go out and try some of the sushi rolls. But for a full out dining experience I would have to pass on this place, since there are so many other superior options in Chicago.Special Features: