110 W. Illinois St.
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sundachicago.com/
- Phone: 3126440500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Thursday- Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Jess DeGuzman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Email email@example.com for Private Party Room information and in-house customized catering options.
PARTY PLATTERS TO-GO:
Order party platters for "pick-up" for your office lunch, event and more.
For 'full-service" off-premise catering inquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
- Entertainment: Rockit Ranch Productions can book your entertainment for your private party needs. No live entertainment is offered in non-private areas.
- Special Events: SUNDA SOCIAL: 4 PM - 6 PM - Weekdays!
Meet. Pair. Share. Sunda social goes on Monday through Friday from 4pm-6pm in the lounge and bar with half-priced appetizers, and specialty cocktails. It’s our best deal of the week and it happens every day!
SUNDA BRUNCH: 10 AM - Weekends!
Saturday & Sunday Brunch features a special brunch menu with new items as well as Sunda Signature favorites, a gourmet “build your own” bloody mary bar, asian-inspired Mimosa-Kits and more! Brunch services from 10am – 3pm on Saturday and 10am – 4pm on Sundays.
- Cross Street: LaSalle
- Public Transit: #22 Bus, stop at Grand coming from the North. Stop at Hubbard if coming from the South. Walk a ½ block west.
#36 Bus, stop at Illinois coming from either direction, then walk 1 ½ block west.
Red line train Grand Stop then walk one block north to Illinois
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available.
Parking lots nearby at the corner of Illinois and LaSalle.
Meter street parking nearby.
A word from Sunda
Located within Chicago’s bustling River North neighborhood, Sunda pairs New Asian fare with Midwestern hospitality for an award-winning concept. Offering contemporary interpretations of traditional dishes from Japan, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and more, the Michelin-recommended concept from Rockit Ranch Productions has received numerous accolades, including Best New Restaurant and Chicago’s Sexiest Restaurant. Showcasing exceptional cuisine from Executive Chef Jess DeGuzman, mod décor from renowned designer Tony Chi, a chic, yet approachable ambiance and seating for more than 200 guests, Sunda has rapidly become a mainstay on the Chicago dining scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sunda reviews from OpenTable diners
408 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (245)fit for foodies (235)good for groups (200)special occasion (176)vibrant bar scene (124)romantic (83)neighborhood gem (60)great for lunch (58)great for brunch (52)late-night find (41)notable wine list (34)great for outdoor dining (30)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great food and wine!!StephDined on 9/27/2014Been here several times both with friends and date night with my husband. Great service every time. The food is spectacular! We always get several dishes to share. This time had a nice bottle of Far Niente..perfect with our meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The staff made me feel like a million bucks. They treated me so well and were very generous and helpful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Had 430 res on a Saturday. The place was empty but was still seated in the worst table near the bathroom. Then the server tried to bring a bottle of wine a year younger than what was on menu TWICE with two different bottles.Next the Brussels spouts salad which is usually very good was served with a chip from a plate with it. To top it off a party of six was seated next to my family with the place still half empty. They were practically sitting in our laps. The manager waited until I got up to use the restroom to stop by and ask how things were going despite my request to speak to him. I normally really enjoy this place but the last experience was so bad I won't be back,Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Food and drinks were great as always, but disappointed with lack of service at the bar. Although it was a busy Friday night, the lack of attentiveness by the bartenders was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 9/26/2014Sunda has always been a favorite but the last couple of visits have left me in a disappointed state. Service is lacking ....friendly, but slow. And not really helpful on nenu choices ... They always seem to be running and not attentive. Food was subpar on the last two visits. The details that made it special before seem to have disappeared. The noise level is always challenging but when the rest of the experience is stellar it is easy to forgive. Not sure I'll be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Beautifully presented foodtbmessingDined on 9/26/2014The food was delectable, beautifully presented, and satisfied even my foodie husband's palette. I took him here for his birthday and requested that they bring out a birthday cake (sans the singing), which they did at the end of our meal. Our server's name was Lindsey, she was professional, attentive, and absolutely a delight. We ordered the pork belly and kale salad, and honey shrimp appetizers - both the pork belly and kale salad were flavorful! The kale salad was a unique twist on fusion and full of flavor. The shrimp appetizer was ok, nothing to blow my socks off and not all that "fusion", but it was good. I would highly recommend this place for foodies and lovers of Asian cuisine!Special Features:
- Great food. Extremely loudskidocVIPDined on 9/25/2014The noise level is deafening. It is even difficult to order. The food itself was excellent. Service suffered from the noise level. Recommend the black cod. the fatty tuna sashimi, and scallops were excellent. Hamachi with jalepenos were also great. The pad thai was sweet but also very good. The place is full of Yuppies. It is a hip place. Just too loud for my tastes. I guess I am getting old.Special Features:
- Going Down Hill?JimmersVIPDined on 9/25/2014We've eaten at Sunda many times and always loved it. So we went there to celebrate a birthday. It was lively, and the service was friendly. But my wife and I felt that something has changed with the food. It's just not as good as it used to be. In fact, much of it wasn't very good at all. Brussel sprout salad is still solid. But dishes that used to be signatures -- shrimp tempura and ox-tail dumplings -- seem tired, heavy and over-sauced. Pho was both oddly spiced and bland, a tough combination to pull off. My best guess is that chef Jess Deguzman has turned the kitchen over to others, who produce desultory copies of the chef's dishes. I might still go to Sunda for the atmosphere and sit at the bar, but I can no longer recommend the food.Special Features:
- Sunda was a great find.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/24/2014The food was great! Fresh and unique. Especially if you like Sushi! Our server was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way overpricedSarahVIPDined on 9/23/2014Decent food but small portions for the price. $31 for dinner and I had 5 bites total!
- Expect an Experience!!CookieDined on 9/21/2014Service was exceptional, which you don't find anymore . . . anywhere! I took it as a sign of good things to come and I was NOT disappointed!! The food was absolutely delicious! I would order everything I ordered, every time I go - - - if it were not for the fact that I MUST try the entire menu! Seriously . . . when's the last time you ordered 8-10 plates to share and everyone loved everything?? The Oxtail Pot Stickers and the Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice (signature) Sushi were amazing!! Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- Incredible Sushi!altumaxDined on 9/21/2014We took a group of three here as a special treat, so we ordered a number of different things to try. I have to say that we were quite impressed with everything that came out... it was amazing! Our favorites (by far) were the Lobster Wagyu roll and the Unagi/Foie - I can't even put into words how delicious these were. Our Unagi/Foie took a very long time to come out, but we were pleasantly surprised when our server told us that it had been because it had not been prepared up to their standards the first time and that it certainly a dish that absolutely had to be done the right way. Everything was outstanding! Highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGtinytotDined on 9/21/2014I watched the show with the sushi chef over 5 years ago when he was visiting different restaurants around the country looking for new ideas. Since that show I always wanted to visit and I'm so glad I did. It met my expectations and more. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchkbcrewDined on 9/21/2014In a city with so many dining options, Sunda stands out as a unique option for Sunday brunch. We enjoyed all of the dishes we tried. Presentation was fun and flavors were fabulous. The server was patient with our interest in chatting with out-of-town guests instead of ordering but disappeared when it was time for drink refills and the check. I would definitely return and recommend Sunda to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious. Every time.YumzDined on 9/20/2014This is a MUST if you like sushi! So good! They also have the most delectable brussel sprout salad on the planet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was very loudFlemmingsVIPDined on 9/20/2014Good food, sorry we couldn't hear each other talk!Special Features:
- Great foodjohngVIPDined on 9/20/2014If you want great food and great service this is the place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Place was recommended by a friend and I am glad that we went! The food was exceptional, very different dishes than you would expect, not the traditional Asian rest. Brussel sprout salad was a must-had to try it due to past reviews and it was amazing. Service was very helpful recommendations, some unique items were perfect. Tastly flavored mimoas llike mango topped off a great lunch. We had a hiccup when we came and tried to order lunch on a Sat. at noon as they were only prepped for brunch and we had our hearts set on a lunch items. First they said sorry....then I think the manager realized that came back and told us we could rolls on the lunch menu. They should decide if they have lunch on weekends or indicate that online.Great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful Sushi, NoisybiillyDined on 9/19/2014Rice was gummy, fish was warm, cuts were inconsistent, prices were way too high for the quality, and the noise level was through the roof. Overall not quite sure what the concept was aiming for either. Seemed very tired.
- Great as alwaysDanny847Dined on 9/19/2014Dan was my server and he provided excellent service. He recommended the Loveblock wine which was very good.Special Features:
- The food was good!MishDined on 9/19/2014I enjoyed Sunda with my colleague. But I wish that there were more vegan and vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited 45 minutes despite reso.NomNomNomDined on 9/17/2014We had a reservation for a party of 4 at 8pm on a Wednesday (arguably not the most happening night of the week and arguably a little late for dinner...) and still weren't seated until close to 9pm. Fortunately we already knew we liked the food at Sunda, otherwise this would have made us question whether it was worth the hassle to come back. Why make a reservation (and arrive on time) if you are still going to have to wait for an hour? That said - the food is always good and the atmosphere is fun. Just surprising to have such a bad experience getting seated late on a week night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExoticMomSaysVIPDined on 9/17/2014Sushi, buns, noodle salad taken to more interesting levels made a great lunch in a beautiful room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelMichaelDined on 9/15/2014Food is amazing. Wait staff even more amazing. Way too noisy.Special Features:
- Sushi with a twistDeedeeDined on 9/14/2014Interesting combinations, fresh flavors. The roaste brussel sprouts salad is worth a visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi in Chicagotravel2eat2shopDined on 9/14/2014We wanted to find some good sushi on our trip to Chicago, and there were so many options but we decided on Sunda based on a recommendation from friends and the proximity to our hotel. The cocktail options were great, I had the lemon wasabi martini and we shared the only hot sake they served which was also good. We had the Brussel sprout salad and Beef wrap appetizers, both were delicious. We ordered 3 sushi rolls, one of which they took awhile to come to our table but we were in no hurry. Our favorite roll was the Firecracker. Would definitely go back if in Chicago!Special Features:
- Food is always great!SarajoDined on 9/13/2014I took girlfriends from Michigan here Saturday night and we had a great time. They loved the food (such great flavors) and ambiance.Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsSucker4SushiDined on 9/13/2014My friend and I heard about Sunda and loved the pictures on their Instagram. Such wonderful service and absolutely delicious food! The pear sake is now one of my favorite cocktails while the lobster wagyu has set the bar for sushi rolls. I wi definitely be going back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, loud atmosphereCLEColeVIPDined on 9/10/2014The food was excellent and inventive. Each stop at the table to deliver food was met with anticipation and eagerness born from the previous course. The quality was excellent and preparation was nearly always phenomenal. It was loud and difficult to talk to our companions at our table. If I were to go back again I would probably return earlier in the evening when it wasn't quite as vibrant a scene.Special Features:
- uninspiringAtmospherelessDined on 9/6/2014Went for brunch on Saturday. Dead quiet. A couple of dim sum options were good, a couple of others bland/nothing exciting. Waiter forgot our 2 drink orders seconds after we ordered. Would not return.
- Excellent food and great cocktails!FoodstalkerchicagoDined on 9/5/2014The food here is always great ! Love the rolls ! Although the ambience is great - the noise level is way too high. It was so loud that could hardly hear anyone on our table. Maybe would not recommend going for any kind of business or formal dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for birthdaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Celebrated my birthday here and the restaurant provided complimentary cake and a $10 Gift Card to return. Thought this was a great gesture. Overall food was delish, just needed more people so I could have ordered more items to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional fooddrkittensDined on 9/5/2014Went for a celebratory dinner with a few others, and ordered to share. Most of the food we had was really exceptional, with a few things being merely good, which is nothing to complain about! I took away one star because we were put into room towards the back, which was a bit quieter than the rest of the place... that is until the large group of twenty-somethings filled the entire rest of the room. After that it was so loud it was hard to talk and be heard at all, which really detracted from the second half of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious.ChiGolfDined on 9/5/2014Sunda never disappoints- Our 4th visit and we always leave looking forward to the next visit. Went there for my birthday and was surprised with a complementary slice of yummy cake and a candle. Everything we ate was scrumptious.Special Features:
- A variety of deliciousness1PickyPalateDined on 9/4/2014Sunda has such a great variety of fabulous food! It's really for everyone! You can have your own dish...or the best part and they recommend that you share, so everyone can pick a dish and then share amongst the group! Looking forward to going back for another fantastic experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and sakeMarioDined on 9/1/2014If you are looking for great food with a very good choice of Sake, that is the place. Restaurant decor is nice. Service good, staff friendly and professionnal. But this is not your romantic candle dinner place if that is what your looking for. It was our second time at Sunda, and next time will go to Chicago, we will eat there again.Special Features:
- Not as AdvertisedFoodiequeenVIPDined on 8/31/2014I went there for this great bloody mary in thrillist, but no where did it say the waiter would bring over this cart and you had to pick what you wanted out of bowls that you cant see what's in them. Food very bland and small portions for what you pay. Never will I return.
- Attentive and high on serviceHappenedinVegasVIPDined on 8/30/2014We came to celebrate our anniversary and were impressed with the attention provided by the hostess, server, and staff. The sushi is very good, albeit a little pricey, but presentation is excellent. Ambiance and overall atmosphere is trendy but not snooty, and service is very good. Will recommend the Red Dragon - a must have. Will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunda is the best place to be!WeenDined on 8/30/2014Great food. Great service. Great sake. Great restaurant. Would do it all over again.Special Features:
- So happy with this choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014I really wanted good sushi to celebrate my 35th birthday. I love sushi, but my husband has always been on the fence about it. After our experience at Sunda, he is now a fan! What a great dinner! Their handrolls were amazing! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.