110 W. Illinois St.
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sundachicago.com/
- Phone: 3126440500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Thursday- Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Jess DeGuzman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Email email@example.com for Private Party Room information and in-house customized catering options.
PARTY PLATTERS TO-GO:
Order party platters for "pick-up" for your office lunch, event and more.
For 'full-service" off-premise catering inquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
- Entertainment: Rockit Ranch Productions can book your entertainment for your private party needs. No live entertainment is offered in non-private areas.
- Special Events: SUNDA SOCIAL: 4 PM - 6 PM - Weekdays!
Meet. Pair. Share. Sunda social goes on Monday through Friday from 4pm-6pm in the lounge and bar with half-priced appetizers, and specialty cocktails. It’s our best deal of the week and it happens every day!
SUNDA BRUNCH: 10 AM - Weekends!
Saturday & Sunday Brunch features a special brunch menu with new items as well as Sunda Signature favorites, a gourmet “build your own” bloody mary bar, asian-inspired Mimosa-Kits and more! Brunch services from 10am – 3pm on Saturday and 10am – 4pm on Sundays.
- Cross Street: LaSalle
- Public Transit: #22 Bus, stop at Grand coming from the North. Stop at Hubbard if coming from the South. Walk a ½ block west.
#36 Bus, stop at Illinois coming from either direction, then walk 1 ½ block west.
Red line train Grand Stop then walk one block north to Illinois
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available.
Parking lots nearby at the corner of Illinois and LaSalle.
Meter street parking nearby.
A word from Sunda
Located within Chicago’s bustling River North neighborhood, Sunda pairs New Asian fare with Midwestern hospitality for an award-winning concept. Offering contemporary interpretations of traditional dishes from Japan, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and more, the Michelin-recommended concept from Rockit Ranch Productions has received numerous accolades, including Best New Restaurant and Chicago’s Sexiest Restaurant. Showcasing exceptional cuisine from Executive Chef Jess DeGuzman, mod décor from renowned designer Tony Chi, a chic, yet approachable ambiance and seating for more than 200 guests, Sunda has rapidly become a mainstay on the Chicago dining scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sunda reviews from OpenTable diners
393 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (245)fit for foodies (233)good for groups (193)special occasion (166)vibrant bar scene (113)romantic (83)neighborhood gem (55)great for lunch (49)great for brunch (45)late-night find (37)notable wine list (37)great for outdoor dining (24)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- nice space, but.......OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014This is a very nice space to start your night out on the town, but the food was average at best and overprice. I got the ultimate noodles and there was nothing ultimate about them, the only good thing about them is that it did have a decent amount of fish in it. But I could of went to Siena Tavern and had the squid ink pasta instead, which is a far more superior dish. The dessert was the best part, I had the smore. I loved the space and I would consider coming back for drinks before I go out for the night. Maybe I'll come back for a small bite before I go out and try some of the sushi rolls. But for a full out dining experience I would have to pass on this place, since there are so many other superior options in Chicago.Special Features:
- Amazing Food, Bad ServiceYumAllTheTimeDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I arrived for our seating early and went to the bar for drinks. It must have been an off night since the bar service was completely disorganized. When they arrived after a long wait the drinks were amazingly well made. Once we sat down, it was 45 minutes until our appetizer of pork buns arrived, which seemed to be a long time even for a busy restaurant. An even longer wait for our sushi rolls occurred thereafter. When the food arrived, it was extremely well made and some of the best sushi I have had. If you can put up with the crowds, poor service, wait times and just being another number in the restaurant's que in order to order great food, then go.Special Features:
- Loud but food is deliciousInternationalfoodieDined on 10/17/2014What a treat! This restaurant is creative and the flavors are amazing! It is Asian but there are unique twists. We had the brussels sprouts salad (this is a must-have) and various rolls and small plates off the menu. Dessert was also terrific. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Generous and delicious sashimiPrincecharmingDined on 10/17/2014We both had the chef's choice sashimi platter. Delicious, good variety, and large portion. This was a Saturday night at 8:30 and it was too busy for the staff to handle. We were not greeted upon arriving and had to wait a long time to be acknowledged or seated. Many tables were not cleared from recent diners and used glasses were piled up by the sushi bar. Our overworked waiter was terrific and efficient once we were seated. Overall, good food, but it is probably best to not go on a Saturday night.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014Would rate this a 5 star experience but the bartender either had tunnel vision or they are understaffed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014Unique and very flavorful food. My guests were first-timers and they loved it.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014Wonderful food great service ideal location best ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencePerfectplaceDined on 10/11/2014Food was excellent and unique. Service was spot on and we thoroughly enjoyed the entire dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VictorVictorDined on 10/11/2014WE LOVED VICTOR. Such an attentive and thoughtful waiter. Made excellent recommendations and was generally just so pleasant to speak with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi-south Asian varietyMomSaysVIPDined on 10/11/2014Not cheap but a pleasant place. All for sharing. Plates come out when they're ready. No particular design to the meal. Short rib pot stickers, crispy sweet shrimp, tuna sashimi, escolar, peanut noodle papaya salad. Nice. Perhaps more circus than bread.Special Features:
- Great service, Better foodaf89VIPDined on 10/11/2014My party and I absolutely loved Sunda! Our waiter was very personable! we generally pick our time ordering and we never felt rushed and everything we got was absolutely delicious. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014Was seated right away, the girls at the hostess stand are always friendly. Sat at our table, which by the way was wobbly and drive us crazy, for 15 mins before a server ever came to our table. Ordered appetizers and drinks, both appetizers came before our drinks did, which we had to remind our server that we hadn't gotten yet. The food and drinks are amazing, including the sticky rice with tuna and jalapeño, the pad Thai and my favorite drink, the appeared Sake. But each time I have been there, the bar staff is extremely slow, not particularly friendly and the service is not very good. Go for the food and the scenery, not for the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food EverenjoyetnVIPDined on 10/10/2014Food is always great here and great ambiance. I like to try a new dish each time and never seem to be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- likestastyfoodVIPDined on 10/8/2014The food was excellent and the waiter was very accommodating as I have some food restrictions. Pretty restaurant, however, unless you are under 25, the noise level is a little too hard to tolerate. I would still consider going back as the food was that memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cornbredVIPDined on 10/8/2014Sunda has delicious, expensive food. Some of the things we ordered, namely the Brussels sprouts, were worth every penny. Other items like the sushi rolls did not seem to warrant the price when equally delicious and less expensive rolls can easily be found elsewhere. The restaurant itself is beautiful, but also suffers from the not uncommon problems of poor acoustics and extreme temperatures. I look forward to my next visit...with caveats.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2014Excellent sushi and very fresh! Great ambiance and the two tunas, red dragon and unagi was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DrinksAvantgarde10Dined on 10/4/2014This restaurant has good food, but their drinks are simply amazing. Try the blackberry limeade, it is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- br1600Dined on 10/3/2014The food was quite good, as was the service but … the noise level wasn't 'energetic,' it was off the charts, to say it was almost painful would not be an exaggeration. I thought one went out to a good restaurant to enjoy the food, and it was good - so what's the point of not only making no effort to deaden the noise of the crowd but to play loud music over it? We inhaled our food and got out as fast as we could. As you have probably already guessed, my wife and I are over 35.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Food was excellent, recommendations from server were very good. Hope to enjoy soon when we return to Chicago.Special Features:
- A little hyped.trconspiratorVIPDined on 10/2/2014I've been twice, and I'm not really sure what this place is about, except for the "scene". The food is not that great for what you pay. It's good - no doubt, but if for sincere foodies, this is not the restaurant. The cocktails are OK. They don't taste like $14. The dessert menu is the best part, but it doesn't make the dining experience worth how much you would spend on the rest of the meal. I don't recommend brining your S.O. here on any special occasion. Both times me and my S.O. went to Sunda, we sat next to a couple, who we were pretty sure was some older man and some sort of paid escort, scantly dressed. Mediocre everything else.
- A restaurant that cares about FoodDakotaKivaDined on 10/2/2014This was my first time at Sunda, and I am a lover of good food. Traveling the world is part of my life, and Thailand and Southeast Asian places have been visited by me many times. Sunda's Pad Thai was a welcome change to all the "quick" restaurants who make this relatively simple dish to cook. However, this pad Thai was well-prepared, and the chef had carefully prepared the ingredients, which had been nicely prepared. The Pad Thai was tasty, and sambal oelek was available for more spice. The miso soup was nicely prepared, and served at the appropriate temperature. This lunch experience was nice, and the energetic sound level did not prevent me from having a good conversation, despite having a hearing deficit.Special Features:
- Spoiled surpriseJimSDined on 10/1/2014Wrote in my reservation that dinner was for a SURPRISE birthday. Called a week before to confirm that it was a SURPRISE bday dinner. Called day of to reiterate that it was a SURPRISE bday dinner. As soon as my wife walks in, hostess tells her the party is for 9, not her expected 3. Instead of playing it off, hostess still says the reservation is for 9. Not a huge deal but you'd think 3 separate reminders would have done the job. They wanted to charge $2 per slice if we brought a cake. We could bring in cupcakes at no charge, but they had to be store-bought with receipt for proof of purchase. Restaurant was incredibly loud. Could barely hear the person next to me, so impossible to have a conversation with a large party.
- outstanding experience to entertainjrh1228Dined on 9/30/2014This was my 6th time to Sunda. I alway attempt to secure a reservation when in town to entertain clients. Great food, great place! The staff are professionals. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a special occasion or impress clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wine!!StephDined on 9/27/2014Been here several times both with friends and date night with my husband. Great service every time. The food is spectacular! We always get several dishes to share. This time had a nice bottle of Far Niente..perfect with our meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The staff made me feel like a million bucks. They treated me so well and were very generous and helpful.Special Features:
- ChicagorestaurantloverDined on 9/27/2014Had 430 res on a Saturday. The place was empty but was still seated in the worst table near the bathroom. Then the server tried to bring a bottle of wine a year younger than what was on menu TWICE with two different bottles.Next the Brussels spouts salad which is usually very good was served with a chip from a plate with it. To top it off a party of six was seated next to my family with the place still half empty. They were practically sitting in our laps. The manager waited until I got up to use the restroom to stop by and ask how things were going despite my request to speak to him. I normally really enjoy this place but the last experience was so bad I won't be back,Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Food and drinks were great as always, but disappointed with lack of service at the bar. Although it was a busy Friday night, the lack of attentiveness by the bartenders was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 9/26/2014Sunda has always been a favorite but the last couple of visits have left me in a disappointed state. Service is lacking ....friendly, but slow. And not really helpful on nenu choices ... They always seem to be running and not attentive. Food was subpar on the last two visits. The details that made it special before seem to have disappeared. The noise level is always challenging but when the rest of the experience is stellar it is easy to forgive. Not sure I'll be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Beautifully presented foodtbmessingDined on 9/26/2014The food was delectable, beautifully presented, and satisfied even my foodie husband's palette. I took him here for his birthday and requested that they bring out a birthday cake (sans the singing), which they did at the end of our meal. Our server's name was Lindsey, she was professional, attentive, and absolutely a delight. We ordered the pork belly and kale salad, and honey shrimp appetizers - both the pork belly and kale salad were flavorful! The kale salad was a unique twist on fusion and full of flavor. The shrimp appetizer was ok, nothing to blow my socks off and not all that "fusion", but it was good. I would highly recommend this place for foodies and lovers of Asian cuisine!Special Features:
- Great food. Extremely loudskidocVIPDined on 9/25/2014The noise level is deafening. It is even difficult to order. The food itself was excellent. Service suffered from the noise level. Recommend the black cod. the fatty tuna sashimi, and scallops were excellent. Hamachi with jalepenos were also great. The pad thai was sweet but also very good. The place is full of Yuppies. It is a hip place. Just too loud for my tastes. I guess I am getting old.Special Features:
- Going Down Hill?JimmersVIPDined on 9/25/2014We've eaten at Sunda many times and always loved it. So we went there to celebrate a birthday. It was lively, and the service was friendly. But my wife and I felt that something has changed with the food. It's just not as good as it used to be. In fact, much of it wasn't very good at all. Brussel sprout salad is still solid. But dishes that used to be signatures -- shrimp tempura and ox-tail dumplings -- seem tired, heavy and over-sauced. Pho was both oddly spiced and bland, a tough combination to pull off. My best guess is that chef Jess Deguzman has turned the kitchen over to others, who produce desultory copies of the chef's dishes. I might still go to Sunda for the atmosphere and sit at the bar, but I can no longer recommend the food.Special Features:
- Sunda was a great find.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/24/2014The food was great! Fresh and unique. Especially if you like Sushi! Our server was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way overpricedSarahVIPDined on 9/23/2014Decent food but small portions for the price. $31 for dinner and I had 5 bites total!
- Expect an Experience!!CookieDined on 9/21/2014Service was exceptional, which you don't find anymore . . . anywhere! I took it as a sign of good things to come and I was NOT disappointed!! The food was absolutely delicious! I would order everything I ordered, every time I go - - - if it were not for the fact that I MUST try the entire menu! Seriously . . . when's the last time you ordered 8-10 plates to share and everyone loved everything?? The Oxtail Pot Stickers and the Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice (signature) Sushi were amazing!! Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- Incredible Sushi!altumaxDined on 9/21/2014We took a group of three here as a special treat, so we ordered a number of different things to try. I have to say that we were quite impressed with everything that came out... it was amazing! Our favorites (by far) were the Lobster Wagyu roll and the Unagi/Foie - I can't even put into words how delicious these were. Our Unagi/Foie took a very long time to come out, but we were pleasantly surprised when our server told us that it had been because it had not been prepared up to their standards the first time and that it certainly a dish that absolutely had to be done the right way. Everything was outstanding! Highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGtinytotDined on 9/21/2014I watched the show with the sushi chef over 5 years ago when he was visiting different restaurants around the country looking for new ideas. Since that show I always wanted to visit and I'm so glad I did. It met my expectations and more. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchkbcrewDined on 9/21/2014In a city with so many dining options, Sunda stands out as a unique option for Sunday brunch. We enjoyed all of the dishes we tried. Presentation was fun and flavors were fabulous. The server was patient with our interest in chatting with out-of-town guests instead of ordering but disappeared when it was time for drink refills and the check. I would definitely return and recommend Sunda to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious. Every time.YumzDined on 9/20/2014This is a MUST if you like sushi! So good! They also have the most delectable brussel sprout salad on the planet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was very loudFlemmingsVIPDined on 9/20/2014Good food, sorry we couldn't hear each other talk!Special Features:
- Great foodjohngVIPDined on 9/20/2014If you want great food and great service this is the place.Special Features: