110 W. Illinois St.
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sundachicago.com/
- Phone: 3126440500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Thursday- Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Jess DeGuzman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Email email@example.com for Private Party Room information and in-house customized catering options.
PARTY PLATTERS TO-GO:
Order party platters for "pick-up" for your office lunch, event and more.
For 'full-service" off-premise catering inquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
- Entertainment: Rockit Ranch Productions can book your entertainment for your private party needs. No live entertainment is offered in non-private areas.
- Special Events: SUNDA SOCIAL: 4 PM - 6 PM - Weekdays!
Meet. Pair. Share. Sunda social goes on Monday through Friday from 4pm-6pm in the lounge and bar with half-priced appetizers, and specialty cocktails. It’s our best deal of the week and it happens every day!
SUNDA BRUNCH: 10 AM - Weekends!
Saturday & Sunday Brunch features a special brunch menu with new items as well as Sunda Signature favorites, a gourmet “build your own” bloody mary bar, asian-inspired Mimosa-Kits and more! Brunch services from 10am – 3pm on Saturday and 10am – 4pm on Sundays.
- Cross Street: LaSalle
- Public Transit: #22 Bus, stop at Grand coming from the North. Stop at Hubbard if coming from the South. Walk a ½ block west.
#36 Bus, stop at Illinois coming from either direction, then walk 1 ½ block west.
Red line train Grand Stop then walk one block north to Illinois
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available.
Parking lots nearby at the corner of Illinois and LaSalle.
Meter street parking nearby.
A word from Sunda
Located within Chicago’s bustling River North neighborhood, Sunda pairs New Asian fare with Midwestern hospitality for an award-winning concept. Offering contemporary interpretations of traditional dishes from Japan, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and more, the Michelin-recommended concept from Rockit Ranch Productions has received numerous accolades, including Best New Restaurant and Chicago’s Sexiest Restaurant. Showcasing exceptional cuisine from Executive Chef Jess DeGuzman, mod décor from renowned designer Tony Chi, a chic, yet approachable ambiance and seating for more than 200 guests, Sunda has rapidly become a mainstay on the Chicago dining scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sunda reviews from OpenTable diners
413 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (235)hot spot (235)good for groups (198)special occasion (178)vibrant bar scene (136)romantic (92)great for lunch (66)neighborhood gem (65)great for brunch (51)late-night find (44)notable wine list (37)great for outdoor dining (30)kid-friendly (12)scenic view (4)Show More
- Attentive and high on serviceHappenedinVegasDined on 8/30/2014We came to celebrate our anniversary and were impressed with the attention provided by the hostess, server, and staff. The sushi is very good, albeit a little pricey, but presentation is excellent. Ambiance and overall atmosphere is trendy but not snooty, and service is very good. Will recommend the Red Dragon - a must have. Will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunda is the best place to be!WeenDined on 8/30/2014Great food. Great service. Great sake. Great restaurant. Would do it all over again.Special Features:
- So happy with this choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014I really wanted good sushi to celebrate my 35th birthday. I love sushi, but my husband has always been on the fence about it. After our experience at Sunda, he is now a fan! What a great dinner! Their handrolls were amazing! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent! The bestMonimoniDined on 8/29/2014Tuna sashimi I have had in my life. The food was really fresh. The asparagus salad was also a must! The ambiance was perfect! I recommend you go dressed up, since people that go there are very fashionable. The music is loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dropped ball this timeKkp27Dined on 8/28/2014Although our waitress was semi attentive. The food arrived incorrect and out of order. Miso soup during the middle of the meal. Grilled spare ribs were all over. No presentation or uniformity. Just thrown on the grill and dropped in a plate. If you are going to be in river north. You need to bring your A game and be consistent. This was not the case this time. The rolls were good, but nothing extra ordinary.Special Features:
- Wonderful SundaeuglizDined on 8/27/2014As always, excellent food and excellent wait staff. I'm always excited to try something new off the menu. The sushi is fabulous and the halo halo desert is the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- Great service!CitygalDined on 8/27/2014We often go here to celebrate birthdays and the staff is amazing. Even though our table was ready 30 minutes after our reservation time, they were so apologetic and even told the previous diners to finish up! I have to admit that I am not crazy about the food but everyone in my group loved it so I'm probably in the minority. For me it seems a little over hyped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicBabygracieDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I brought our friends to Sunda for the first time his last weekend. Everything was fantastic! Food quality was great, flavors were unique, interesting and fresh! I have so many favorite dishes there are too many to list. Great atmosphere and wonderful staff from the hosts to the bus staff. Our server was great and she was on top of things most of the night. Towards the end she fell back slightly but only because she had gotten sat with two larger parties, overall she was a great server. We will all definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night on the townSkglenDined on 8/23/2014Service and atmosphere was excellent , food was very good , food allergies kept me from trying more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not happy with the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014I have been to Sunda once before and had a great time. This time I brought a new friend with me for lunch. The waitress was not helpful at all and was missing for a long time. I ordered a salad and app and my friend ordered a pasta dish. The salad was not brought out at the same time and they didn't even know about it. It took over 10 minutes for them to bring it. My app was served and was not hot. Lukewarm at best. I probably will not go back.
- FavawesomeDined on 8/21/2014Hands down...top 3. Good food, good people, good ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Food and Cool AtmosphereJonhaasDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Sunda. We had a great waiter that was spot on in his recommendations. We enjoyed 4 smaller plates and a desert, along with a few drinks. Only thing I would have done differently is adding the beef lollipops to our selections that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencebjamersoVIPDined on 8/16/2014Food was fantastic and did not disappoint after hearing great things from friends. The specialty cocktails were amazing as well. The best thing we had to eat (on a friends recommendation) was the crispy brussel sprout salad. Not even something I would have considered with the vast menu of options without the recommendation. But it blew me awaySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food was all very good! We loved the brussel sprout salad, tiger shrimp tempura and pork fried rice. It was a little loud in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerFallonEatsChicagoDined on 8/13/2014The dining experience was terrific. This is my favorite Chicago - Asian spot. The Brussels sprout salad, and rock shrimp are a must every time. I tried the Dim Sum buns for the first time - pork belly was delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow ServiceLia31VIPDined on 8/13/2014We came early for the Sunda Social hour, the restaurant wasn't very busy and yet it took almost 30 minutes for anything to come out, and this was true for everything we ordered at any point. It was so frustrating, and all of the appetizers we ordered from the happy hour menu were mediocre at best. The drinks were very good, but took even longer than the food to get.
- Happening placeBrendanDined on 8/11/2014Good food, great service, but too loud. I ordered the miso cod and was quite satisfied. Oxtail potstickers were also good. My dining companion reported that the ultimate noodle was a bit heavy on the garlic. Service was excellent and attentive. Saketini was a bit sweet for my taste. They did well accommodating my allergies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaegVIPDined on 8/10/2014Food and drinks were delicious. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful with the menu. We had a great time!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacking in good sushiMoemtgbkr1Dined on 8/9/2014I am a big sushi fan however the two rolls we ordered were well below par the rice was soggy and one of the rolls which was supposed to include various fish items was 75% cream cheese. The pad Thai was cold and very bland even after we had specifically asked the server to make it extra spicy.
- Fusion AsianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014I went in with the expectation that this was Asian cuisine. I recommend you do not do the same. Some of the dishes require an open mind. Their twin towers sushi was good but not great. The mochi ice cream dessert was delicious. Would not go back for main course, but would go back for dessert.
- Fun but loudLizzyKDined on 8/8/2014Great for a night out on the town for sushi and sake but don't expect to go there for a quiet romantic evening. It was loud to the point we felt people were yelling. Otherwise it was fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SundaBritVIPDined on 8/7/2014Food is definitely not what it used to be - still a scene though.
- MemorableTheforkedtongueDined on 8/7/2014It started with a Grass Tiger at the bar - saying "oh wow" with every sip. The specialty drinks at Sunda are memorable. Then we had the soup - it was hands down the best soup ever - yes, I said ever. You are crazy if you don't try it. Generous serving bowl that two of us shared, each having 3 cups. Then the sushi, pad thai, and on and on. I was wowed. It was recommended by a colleague and boy am I glad I went. 5 thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing. Bad service.felipeDined on 8/7/2014We came as a group of six. We ordered a lot of food and drinks. We were half-way done and still ordering drinks when we were told we had to leave because our table was reserved for another group. We were barely there for two hours. Absolutely ridiculous to drive out paying customers. We were all decently dressed, neither rowdy nor noisy (well nobody can beat the noise level at Sunda because it was so loud one has to scream at somebody's ear to be heard. The food was ordinary. There are many restaurants in Chicago that offer better food and better service.
- delicious!sueliDined on 8/6/2014Service was excellent, food was fresh and burst with flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014What a fun venue this was for a very special birthday celebration!!! We really enjoyed ourselves. The staff was extremely helpful and took care of our every need, took our large bags into coat check for us, very helpful. The table setting was a perfect location as we were able to watch the preparation of the sushi. The sushi dishes were fresh, attractive and full of flavor. The venue is fun and well appointed; however if you are looking for a quiet place to really get to know your dinner partner this is not the place, as it is a bit noisy plus there was overhead music playing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't go backMrJoeDined on 8/4/2014Made a reservation an arrived on time, they still made me wait for more tan 10 minutes, even when I had children with me. The place is EXTREMELY noisy, you can't hear the person next to you. The food was very bad, we ordered a salad that tasted terrible, some sushi that was simply ok and some other dishes that weren't that great. I had been to this place before and it was very good. This time it was terrible. I only wanted to get out of the restaurant. At the end it was too expensive to have such bad time.
- Great dinner at SundaEllenVIPDined on 8/4/2014Husband and I took son and roommate (mid twenties) on a Monday night. Still very energetic. Food excellent. Fun place for all ages. Loved sharing and trying a lot of dishes. Each one was inventive, delicious. Service fast. Waiter very helpful in ordering the right amount and menu is rather large. Actually helps if you look at it in advance, online. Only glitch came at dessert. Should have skipped it. Took a lot longer to arrive and just fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoiseHearingImpairedDined on 8/4/2014Way too noisy. The management should invest in sound proofing ceiling and wall materials to deflect the noise away from the dining room.Special Features:
- Sunda experiencedondonDined on 8/3/2014My second time here. Highly recommend the brussel sprouts. Waiter very helpful with selecting dishes. Very noisy but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantJP30Dined on 8/3/2014The food and ambience were both great. The waiter, eh, not so much. He seemed to get an attitude each time someone ordered a cappuccino or a coffee. It's brunch, what do you expect?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunda, you disappointChigirlxxxxxxxDined on 8/2/2014Despite having a 7:30pm reservation, my party of 4 was not seated until around 8:15pm. I had three friends visiting from Los Angeles and was embarassed for Chicago how bad the service was. While waiting patiently at the bar for 45 minutes, we checked in with the hostess about 3 different times. Each time, there was no apology for the wait. We were told that the table is ready and they are cleaning it. Then, we were told that it is almost ready. Last time, we were told "oh we thought we seated you already." Still no apology. What made it worse was that this was my birthday dinner and I was so upset and sad. Waiting 45 minutes depspite having a reservation!? Although the good was good, the service ruined the evening for me.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunda was pleasantly surprising!Foodie787Dined on 8/2/2014This was the first time my wife and I had tried Sunda and we really loved it! Kristen was wonderful and the food came out in a timely manner and was wonderful. It was definitely a hot spot a bit loud but nothing that couldn't be dealt with by leaning in a little to speak. The restaurant looked wonderful and the service was great. We are definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014Incredible, unique food. Great service. My favorite sushi restaurant in Chi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noodles with LobsterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2014The noodles was ok. The service was very slow because they were busy. The waitress was nice however I told her I was in a rush and she did not make an effort to help me. I waited too long for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunda is the bestJackieAVIPDined on 7/31/2014Holy oxtail potstickers. Unforgettable flavor. Incredible, fresh sashimi including my fave - escolar.Special Features:
- They put the Din in DinnerFoodFanaticDined on 7/30/2014Creative and interesting food, well prepared and delivered with outstanding service, but good lord is this place loud. You can barely hear yourself think let alone what the people around you are saying. This was my third or forth visit, and I can't say that I'll be back. The food is amazingly creative, but it just can't compensate for the noise level. Final note for the see-and-be-seen crowd: this is one of the very hippest restaurants in town, no doubt about that.Special Features:
- YUMYUMMMVIPDined on 7/30/2014Sunda never disappoints! Can't get enough of the food here!Special Features:
- Great SoupOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2014The soup was great with bok choy, roasted pork and ramen noodles. The service was fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 of my favorite spots in Chicago!Dae2000Dined on 7/29/2014One of my consistently favorite spots in Chicago! The executive chef even spent time At our table explaining several food choices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.