10820 Ventura Blvd
Studio City, CA 91604Neighborhood:
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.suncafe.com/
- Phone: (818) 308-7420
- Hours of Operation:
Thurs-Fri 11am-11pm /Sat 10-11/Sun 10-10
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Roi Elam
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from SunCafe
SunCafe is an exciting and healthy organic eatery. We are a full service dining, sit-down, destination located in Studio City, CA, just steps away from Hollywood, Universal Studios and many major movie studios.Continued
We offer many vegan, gluten-free and raw food options. Despite our healthy focus, our first and foremost aspiration is to offer delicious and crave-worthy cuisine.
We offer many vegan, gluten-free and raw food options. Despite our healthy focus, our first and foremost aspiration is to offer delicious and crave-worthy cuisine.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
SunCafe - Best Restaurants in Studio City ›
SunCafe reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (49)neighborhood gem (42)fit for foodies (34)great for lunch (34)good for groups (26)special occasion (23)great for brunch (22)romantic (15)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (7)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/17/2014Pleasantly surprised as I'm not vegitarian. The food was great, the service helpful and engaging, and the ambiance was very nice. Next time we will sit outside. Happy hour provided great choices. I recommend this to anyone for a nice, flavorful and healthy meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Making Memories at the SuncafeShelbyDined on 11/14/2014I recently experienced such a memorable evening with girlfriends at the Suncafe. Upon our ‘early' arrival (which is a first i must say), we were pleasantly greeted by Hong and even seated within minutes. Our table on the patio gave us the opportunity to enjoy the evening sky and the adjacent fire pit with decorative low lighting made for the perfect ambiance. Our server, Jamie, was fantastic. She was prompt, personable, professional and had a vast knowledge of the menu which was appreciated as this was our first visit. We had the Raw Mushroom soup and I felt it was excellent (one bowl was enough for two to share if you are having an entree as well)--- It comes at room temp (raw). We ordered the split Sun Nachos and I really enjoyed the jicama vs the chips. The Sweet Potato fries were perfect (they are thick and 4-5 come in one order). I enjoyed the Mac N Cheese made with cashew cheese.. The Key lime pie made with avocado (trust me… it tastes awesome… ) and the Almond Butter Chocolate Cheesecake (I think it is made with a bit of coconut as well..) literally melted in my mouth..throughout the evening We all sipped on a smooth bottle of La Closerie des Lys- Pinot Noir. Losing track of the hour, we ended up closing down the Suncafe. Although we apologized for this, Each and every employee we encountered assured us it was no problem. My friends and I are not vegan and thoroughly enjoyed our meal and overall experience; so much so that, we have dubbed it our “new favorite place” ! Many thanks and accolades to the chef and the wonderful Suncafe staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Very good raw food restaurant. Feels great to eat vegetables served creatively, deliciously, and raw! Cooked is available also for someone who wants a hot meal. Amazing facility--very welcoming, lots of different eating areas. Outdoors and indoors. Parking lot in front (valet), or just park on the street nearby. One of my favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServiceSkycycleVIPDined on 11/8/2014The service here is excellent and the food is great. Love the new location, too!Special Features:
- Great vegan restaurantAmooseDined on 11/3/2014As a vegetarian, I'm used to skimming through a menu and ordering the one vegetarian offering. At Sun Cafe, everything is vegan, so all options were open. And the menu is so varied and interesting, it was hard to choose what to order. Everything we had was delicious. The Soup of the Day, a Moroccan Lentil, was fantastic. The outdoor dining areas are lovely at night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So goodPureyumDined on 10/24/2014Finally tried Sun Cafe after wanting to for months. My friend and I ordered a few things to share so we could explore the menu a bit. Everything we had was great. The service was good and so was the atmosphere. It did get pretty loud the more crowded the bar got. That being my only complaint, I will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New locationsteveidrum23Dined on 10/24/2014I used to eat there for lunch at old location further south. New location has better parking, a nice patio, and a bar area that was a little lively when we arrived, but quieted down a little later. I believe it was a private party. Not too rowdy, just people having fun. Food was just as healthy, and interesting as ever. Staff was very friendly, and helpful. Will go again for dinner, and lunch now. The sliders were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time lunchAlohaannaDined on 10/16/2014Just ordered lentil soup and caesar salad and ginger kombucha. The kombucha was vibrant and great tasting. The lentil soup was flavorful, well-balanced, would order again. The Caesar had a few too many capers (and I love capers), I think to try to make for the fact that there weren't any anchovies. All the food was very fresh and flavorful. My friend ordered the Pad Thai, which I think I will order next time. The flavors were really nice and balaned and the tofu was sauteed with a nice brown crisp exterior and much more flavorful than I was expecting. Will definitely come back and explore the menu further. The patio is really beautiful and closed off from Ventura Blvd, a nice oasis near the studios. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pad ThaiZenEditorDined on 10/14/2014The Sun Pad Thai was very tasty. Looking foreword to another dish next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2014A fantastic vegan restaurant with a great beer/wine list and exceptional service. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food and ServiceGoddessLDined on 10/11/2014My friend and I went there for my birthday, and I ordered a dish which on the menu looked fabulous, however was not particularly my style once I got it. Wally was amazing in allowing me to return the dish and get something else that I wanted. Not Only did he bring me a new dish, he also brought a special slice of pizza for both myself and my friend, as well as gifted me a fabulous piece of pumpkin cheesecake for my birthday. I could not have asked for a better birthday experience, and Sun Café is absolutely outstanding! Highly highly recommend anyone who wants good vegan food, as well as people who don't usually eat vegan or vegetarian food, to come here. It is a wonderful find for anyone who likes to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan Heaven!DarstcoachVIPDined on 9/29/2014We love Sun Cafe's new location! Sitting outside on the patio in the evening is a special treat. The Valley has been needing more pretty patios, and this one is a treat. The food is consistently excellent vegan food. I recommend the Sun Cafe Nachos - ask for half blue corn chips and half jicama chips - and the mushroom soup!Special Features:
- My Favorite Vegan CafeSilkweaverDined on 9/28/2014Within 30 miles of my home, there are exactly 2 restaurants that serve organic vegetarian food. Driving 50 miles for a fabulous lunch with good friends is a perfect way to spend a Sunday. The new restaurant location is perfect, very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Spot is Unbelievably Nice!ChewieDined on 9/27/2014The last time I ate at SunCafe was at their old location just down the road. What an upgrade! The new spot is way more spacious, and while I enjoyed the ambience before, they have definitely stepped up their game here. We ordered the Pad Thai and Supreme Pizza. Originally wanted the Farmer's Market Pizza, but our server said it had been replaced. That was disappointing--please keep updated menus! The food itself was really tasty! I wonder how the Pad Thai would've tasted as a warm dish... Our server was nice and pretty attentive until at the very end when we wanted dessert. Needed to ask someone to grab him after waiting ~10 minutes. No biggie--he came right over. For dessert, get the Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake. Seriously, just do it.Special Features:
- Great vegan restaurant!wed0166Dined on 9/26/2014Sun cafe is the premiere vegan experience! Wonderful location. Beautiful decor inside. The food is phenomenal. Best shakes and smoothies on the planet. (Particular note: must try the mint shamrock shake!) Non-vegans will be won over, given the chance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good vegan optionjmjrVIPDined on 9/26/2014Good vegan option in Studio City but there are other accessible LA options equally as good.Special Features:
- Great experienceteresaDined on 9/23/2014My husband and I are newbie vegans and have struggled to find great vegan food outside of home. We will definitely go back to Sun Café. Our server was great and took time to explain the dishes and give his suggestions. One in our group struggled a little to find something substantial because he eats meat but he had the risotto which was rich, creamy, and perfectly prepared. The Sun Burger is very tasty and filling and my husband had the Italian sandwich and loved it. Definitely share the desserts, they are large and very rich...and delicious. The patio area is very inviting and it seems like a great place to stop by for a smoothie and hang out. Very friendly staff and convenient valet parking. No hesitation recommending Sun Café.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real GemOnlyEatOutDined on 9/13/2014I'm not a vegan and really wasn't excited about going here. I was so wrong. The food is great. I'm still not a vegan but will be back often. The SunCafe is a real gem.Special Features:
- slow servicecleoDined on 9/1/2014service was good when present but too slow - we had to ask for each thing rather than being solicitedSpecial Features:
- Very disappointing experienceHeidiVIPDined on 9/1/2014The service was dreadful, we waited for quite a while for menus, to give our orders and for our food. The waitress was hard to flag when what was served was so unsatisfactory it had to be sent back. Would NEVER return.
- mehOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Food was unimpressive for the price. I was dining with a fellow vegan chef, and a meat-eater that loves to eat vegan. We were all underwhelmed with the food and service.Special Features:
- Great Restaurantluv2eatoutDined on 8/25/2014We love everything about SunCafe - food, service...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious vegan cuisine!ReenieroDined on 8/25/2014SO happy to have found Sun Cafe! Loved the nachos and the mac & cheese, and the coffee smoothie. It's great to have a new neighborhood vegan spot to go to! Great friendly service, wonderful ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!luv2eatoutDined on 8/24/2014Love this restaurant! Delicious food! Many gluten-free choices.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING VEGAN DININGfoodchowVIPDined on 8/22/2014With the atmosphere of a very nice restaurant, a good wine list, a fine beer list the Sun Cafe serves sophisticated vegan food that is good for the body. Knowledgeable servers explain the ingedients and some very surprising concepts to make it easy on first time diners. Laid back, warm and inventive. This restaurant is on our list of regular places to eat - and it's healthy too! Valet parking. Patio. Reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best cuisine in LAThoughts4myfoodDined on 8/17/2014When it comes to dining out, my expectations of food are kind of high. This place always has consistently good food. Healthy raw vegan food and I'm not even vegan but I crave the lettuce tacos and zucchini lasagna. Smoothies and cupcakes are a great guilt free treat to and the sangria is the bomb! I've dined here at least a dozen times at the old location and new. Service was perfect on this last visit. It can be hit or miss sometimes though. I'm sure they will work out the kinks. This place is wonderful!!! ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood Gemluv2eatoutDined on 8/15/2014Delicious food. Great for food allergies! The macaroni and cheese is outstanding as are the fiesta burger, the portabello mushroom sandwich, and the almond butter 'cheesecake'. Terrific menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Vegan FarejmitchlDined on 8/5/2014Seriously great food, period. Not just "great for a vegan place" - GREAT. It's a bit pricey but well worth it. The "dairy" elements made mostly from nuts are incredible. The key lime pie - completely raw - was perhaps the best I've ever tasted. For me - I am not vegan, by the way - this place was a bit of a revelation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious AND nutritiousYumTumDined on 8/4/2014Wow! I was taken aback at how delectable food is at this organic cafe! I'm not vegan or a raw food fanatic but there were so many great sounding options. We shared three entres and all we're delicious. A lovely patio. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were disappointed this time...davidyDined on 8/1/2014We have eaten at the old location a number of times and found the food outstanding. This was the first time at the new location, which is very attractive. But, the food was very disappointing. The did offer to replace what we ordered and they paid for our dessert. We hope this was a fluke.Special Features:
- Party of 3PlantpowerDined on 8/1/2014Fantastic food! Other than needing to remind the waiter that I was still waiting on a sun burger that he obviously had forgotten after my lunch dates had finished half of their meals, everything else was great! The new location is much easier to talk in and is much roomier than the old one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh & yummyKLaw9Dined on 8/1/2014Great spot for lunch, great atmosphere, great service, just great all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014We loved everything about Suncafe, the place itself, the food, the service, everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looks Good Tastes Good Sounds MehthepriestandthebluebirdDined on 7/28/2014Sun Cafe recently moved to a lovely and MUCH larger venue with great parking - Mac N' Cheese has been modified (I preferred the original) and it seemed the prices were a bit higher - however the food was still fantastic but the music left a dull sound in our ears..... my BF said he expected to at least hear new agey type music or preferably chill/lounge/cid jazz but it was kind of what you expect to hear at Sizzler ... with a lot of top 40 middle of the road easy listening rock from the late 70's and 80's.... otherwise Sun Cafe is a staple vegan location for us and our friends... Highly recommend their cooking classes on Saturday mornings :-)Special Features:
- The following 191 reviews are from the SunCafe reviews archive.
- Eating healthy never tasted so goodScjimVIPDined on 7/26/2014Yes it is a vegetarian restaurant which offers vegan and raw options. It is an inventive and highly skilled kitchen turning out flavorful and creative healthy food that is simply delicious.Special Features:
- Organic, Original, Outstanding !hockeyfoodDined on 7/26/2014Since my wife is pregnant, we are trying to eat GMO-free and pesticide-free. An online search pointed me to SunCafe. The food was truly amazing. The restaurant staff is very knowledgable. We will go back again soon.Special Features:
- Love SunCafenomnom1Dined on 7/22/2014We highly enjoyed our meal at SunCafe, great vegan spot that meat eaters will also enjoy!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/21/2014Best vegan food in LA. Friendly service. The ambiance in the outdoor area is especially delightful on a summer evening. Street parking is often hard to find, but there is valet service for those who want to use it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!LlanetMartinDined on 7/19/2014This place was cute, central to LA, and the food was super delicious and healthy! My group and I all have different dietary restrictions and this place accommodated it all! To say we enjoyed this place is a HUGE understatement! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Healthy and HappyHealthyFoodieVIPDined on 7/14/2014Each dish is thoughtfully created, balanced and surprising (in a good way). The cacao shake is enough of a reason to return. The zucchini lasagna and accompanying garlic bread with balsamic was the perfect entree. Raw dishes abound and there are choices within choices. For instance the nachos could be raw or cooked. I chose the cooked option with corn chips - - a must! Enthusiastic, interactive staff. Raw, vegan and gluten free foodies finally have a place they can be proud to take their meat eating friends to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.