SumoMaya Mexican-Asian Kitchen
6562 N. Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85253Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
SumoMaya Mexican-Asian Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sumomaya.com/
- Phone: 4803979520x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Mexican, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Herb Wilson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from SumoMaya Mexican-Asian Kitchen
Come with us as we travel through Mexico and Asia on a chef-driven culinary adventure. At SumoMaya, we celebrate the flavors of these distinctive cultures with our unique seasonal fusion cuisine. You’ll experience quality and personalized service second to none in our trendy and vibrant environment. Our unwavering commitment to sourcing the highest quality ingredients and providing the ultimate guest experience will have you traveling with us time and time again. Arigato! Gracias!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
SumoMaya Mexican-Asian Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
SumoMaya Mexican-Asian Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (111)hot spot (110)vibrant bar scene (102)good for groups (58)neighborhood gem (54)great for outdoor dining (50)special occasion (46)late-night find (29)great for lunch (19)notable wine list (11)romantic (11)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014We were about 10 minutes early for our reservation, and after waiting at the bar for a few minutes, decided to just eat there. The food was tasty and very interesting. The bartender was attentive, gave us good recommendations, and mixed good cocktails. The people-watching was pure Scottsdale, and the in-house DJ was running a bunch of early-90's hip-hop (Ini Kamoze!). Fun night, all around. The only hitch was, they have two kitchens: one for sushi and one for hot dishes, and they don't coordinate how their respective dishes come out. We ordered guacamole, put in our order for a sushi app about 10 minutes after that, and the sushi still arrived about 5 minutes before the guac. My entree arrived 10 minutes before my wife's. A slight hiccup.Special Features:
- Yummo!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/27/2014Amazing food with amazing service! The wait staff were all very friendly and engaged in conversations with guests. The food was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant or Nightclub?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/26/2014The food is excellent, and our waiter was wonderful. The only problem is that the noise level was so loud, it was difficult to talk... and we were on the patio! Truly a great place, but beware if you want to have a casual conversation with your party; it won't happen unless you plan to have a hoarse voice. In reality, SumoMaya needs to decide if they are going to be a restaurant or a vibrant nightclub. I don't think it can be both. Perhaps quieter music until 9 or 10PM, and then turn it up!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant, Nightclub, or Bar?HeatherisaFoodieDined on 9/26/2014When you walk in, the host stand doubles as DJ booth?! It is so loud, you can't even have a conversation with who you are sitting with, the servers have to yell to take your order! Above the bar, are 2 giant flat screen TV's, now it's a sports bar? We came in for AZ Resturant Week, first course Pomegranate Guacamole... putting 2 halves of an avocado, smushing it a bit and throwing some dried fruit and pomegranate seeds on it does not make a dish....where is the spice, the acid, the salt? My next course was the rock shrimp tempura, completely overdressed with mayo, not a piece of tuna in the dish, as mentioned, again, very bland! I get it...cool, hip, and trendy Scottsdale hot spot, but are you trying to sell the food or the scene?Special Features:
- Finally!ScottsdaleprimeVIPDined on 9/25/2014Finally! Scottsdale has a restaurant that achieves the goal of combining a creative dining experience with excellent food. After 6 years living in the Valley of the Sun: This restaurant is a welcome change to the culinary scenery! Outstanding in every facet!Special Features:
- inventive and delicious!winstongal72VIPDined on 9/25/2014Absolutely everything we ate here was fantastic! From the pomegranate guacamole, to the stuffed dates, the rollo chingon...everything, and I mean everything was wonderful. I love the small plates concept and the ability to share, it enables everyone to try things they normally might not. I, for example, avoid seafood because I don't really care for it but I simply couldn't get enough of the seabass. It is NOT to be missed. Fantastic service, we really felt cared for although the restaurant is loud and the bar overwrought with women trying to get attention for themselves. Don't let that diminish the experience or deter you - I will go back over and over again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy & TastySilverbanglesDined on 9/25/2014We tried a couple of the tacos selections. crab and lobster dish. kobe beef and a sushi roll. Everything was presented beautifully and tasted amazing. The server suggested we order at least 5 dishes to share for the 3 of us. We all could have added another selection. The tacos are street style, and come with only two. Next time we would each order two tacos instead. We each had a cocktail and our bill was right at $100.00. Very enjoyable, but if your really hungry order your own plate, don't share as they suggest. Everyone loved the atmosphere which I would call trendy, bright and welcoming. Fun place!! parking is valet.Special Features:
- Great PlaceJDluvfoodDined on 9/23/2014All the food was delicious! No skimpy food dishes. Our sever was fantastic, had perfect recommendations very knowledgeable about all the items on the menu.Special Features:
- So yummy!YummoDined on 9/20/2014We really enjoyed our meal at SumoMaya. We went after hearing about it from some friends and boy are we glad we went. Ambiance is really cool. And the food was just amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level overshadows the foodfoodloverDined on 9/20/2014Portions are small but the food is eclectic and delicious. The food dishes are served tapas style and nothing comes out at the same time. So be prepared to share. The noise level (no sound dampening and loud music) makes it difficult to carry on a conversation with friends. In fact it is so loud that the waitress had to yell when she took our order. SumoMaya needs to decide if it wants to be a nightclub or a serious restaurant with fabulous food. You really can't be both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/20/2014Good food, nice venue, excellent service! We look forward to returning!Special Features:
- Pittkelly21Dined on 9/19/2014Must try the pomagrant guacamole! It's a tasty twist on the traditional appitizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Scottsdale VibeMartyDined on 9/19/2014Great place to meet people. So scottsdale vibe. Lots of energy for single and couples experience. Food is secondary to the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a FanHappygirlVIPDined on 9/19/2014This was our fifth time to dine at SumoMaya. We've had great food in the past. The food was greasy and not hot enough. May of just been a bad night in the kitchen. We'll be back for one more try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AZ Restaurant Week at Sumo MayaMandyVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food -average, service- good. Atmosphere-vibrant, décor modern. I would come back for Happy Hour but not too impress with the taste overall. Mixing Latin & Asian sounds like a good idea but if not done perfectly, it just doesn't work at Sumo Maya.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Julie StewartOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/13/2014Wonderful staff. Very friendly and quick service. The food was amazing and I'm definitely going back.Special Features:
- Excellent Newcomer!!njfranVIPDined on 9/13/2014Not to miss: pomegranate guacamole, Korean short rib tacos, kimchi fried rice and sea bass skewers. Can't wait to go back to try the seafood chevice and sushi. Excellent first dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great blend of different cuisinesRollTideInTheDesertDined on 9/12/2014Great blend of Asian and Latin food. The restaurant has lots of different interior design features like a huge tree growing inside. Bring cash there is a valet and definitely make a reservation. The place was popping. We had garlic noodles, calamari and the carne asada. The staff was very attentive and we were created by all the different managers and floor leaders but not in a cheesy noticeable way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalBillVIPDined on 9/10/2014A new restaurant in town and one that everyone should try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super groovy place!luvmesomfoodDined on 9/9/2014Everything was amazing! Nick was a great server! Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night...AshncaryDined on 9/7/2014I found the restaurant and reviews on Trip Advisor. It also happened to be across the street from our hotel. Everything was fantastic. We tried a little of everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, stereotypical ScottsdalebuckwildeDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I dined here on a Friday night on the recommendation of a friend who said it was "trendy" and "good people watching" which turned out to be an understatement. Our table wasn't ready when we arrived, so we went to the bar (which was standing room only) and observed a wide array of buffed and botoxed patrons yelling at each other over the in-house DJ's hottest beats. Despite the crowd, it was easy to get a drink and the bartender(s) was attentive and friendly. Once seated, the menu options were interesting and the service staff were prompt and attentive. The food was excellent, and there were some tasty cocktails as well. Although not a place we would dine frequently, we both enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OuthomecookDined on 9/5/2014I organized a birthday party for a group of girl friends. Most of them had never visited Sumomaya. Every one was pleasantly surprised with the food, ambiance, crowd and above all EXCELLENT service!Special Features:
- Really cool conceptSarnoldVIPDined on 9/2/2014Food was pretty good, prices were reasonable, very unique menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- M2222Dined on 9/1/2014Everything we ordered was delicious, highly recommend going with the server's recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fusion is backlloydl2Dined on 8/31/2014This Asian-Mexican Fusion has a quite interesting menu featuring small and shareable plates allowing patrons to select and share many flavors. The dishes our table of four tried all had really interesting and tasty combo's of mexican and asian ingredients.Special Features:
- SumoMaya 8/29DougVIPDined on 8/30/2014Read reviews in Phoenix magazine - pretty much right on.Pretty loud, great menu. Definitely will go back there again.Special Features:
- Blown Away!!!!C4LVRDined on 8/28/2014Not sure why, but I did not have high expectations. Maybe it was my skepticism of mixing Mexican food with Asian food. I was blown away. The atmosphere was fantastic! Great job on the interior design, great energy, great service and great food. We ordered the "real California roll", which it was. It's the best I have ever tasted and the crab was so fresh it melted in your mouth. The sea bass was equally as good if not better which you would think impossible after the California roll. If your looking for a fun place with great atmosphere, service, food and energy, this is the place. And no, I don't know the owners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative Blend of FlavorsFoodieinhillsDined on 8/27/2014The energetic and bright atmosphere is only a fraction of the explosion in your mouth that will transcend you to a delightful experience! The flavors of every dish we ate were over the top. Each time we experience Sumo Maya we have the same level of satisfaction with the experience.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014So loud I could barely hear the waiter. The food was yuck. My date and I had stomach aches after. The sushi was nasty. Would not recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Coloful!RobertoDined on 8/20/2014Both the food and the décor at SumoMaya are colorful! Hot pinks and orange are everywhere. Great lighting with natural light by day and special effects at night. (Love the way the bar appears to float on light!) he food is an incredible combo of Asian flavors in Mexican formats. A surprise in every dish. Love their Chinese Chicken salad for lunch. And the corn side dish. And the tiny tacos, especially pork and chicken. ALL yummy!Special Features:
- Disapointing.SoothsayerDined on 8/13/2014While the expensive cars parked in front and the crowd around the bar announce that Sumo Mayo is an "in place," the dining experience falls well short of expectations. The hard finishes and the talkative crowd at the bar create a noise level that makes conversation a challenge. While the menu promises a variety of interesting choices, the best tasting are the sushi rolls while the other alternatives are dull and uninteresting. And if you want sushi rolls any good Japanese restaurant can do as well or better. This is a restaurant whose reach exceeds its grasp.
- Amazing food and staffMcCannReviewsDined on 8/10/2014My wife and I do not dine out often but as a recommendation from a friend, we decided to try out SumoMaya. We tried a variety of drinks, appetizers, and entrees, each of which were well beyond our expectations in terms of quality and taste. The staff was also excellent, ensuring a wonderful overall experience. We would definitely return!Special Features:
- Chic, pumping sceneDavidVIPDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant is the ideal place to go if you want a trendy scene with a great atmosphere. The interior design is amazing, the DJ plays hot beats, the staff is great, and the food is phenomenal. I'm sad that I don't live in Scottsdale because I would love to go here really often. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Sumo Maya is great!fatboyDined on 8/8/2014I took my wife and two other couples to dinner on a Friday night. It was a great scene inside, vibrant, with good energy and good looking people. The food was great, we tried a lot of the sushi items and the Mexican tapas, everything was great. Service was great as well, sometimes in new places, they don't have it together yet, that was not the case here. I definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- Ignore the Service RevewSkyPADined on 8/7/2014Ignore the prior negative service review. I found no issues with the service or staff. The food is an interesting and true fusion of Mexican and Japanese flavors although, a bit more heat could be tolerated. A definite must try if you are in the area or have never tried fusion but enjoy sushi.Special Features:
- Birthday meal disappointmentYayaVIPDined on 8/7/2014I was not impressed with any aspect of SumoMaya & I was the one who chose to have my birthday dinner there. First thing I noticed was how loud it was. Tables are so close together that the server was always right next to me when waiting on the next table. Everything seemed rushed. Food came almost too quickly and plates were cleared as soon as you took your last bite. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and the quirky combinations. Our favs were the fresh garbanzos and the summer corn. Tempura tacos were good but 2 bite size tacos for $7 is overpriced. Chicken mole had good flavor but the mole was too thick for my taste. Crispy pork belly sumo roll was good but not enough pork belly. We both ended the night with stomach aches:(Special Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/6/2014Service and food are top notch. They are super friendly and very knowledgeable of the menu. They always welcome me back.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014We had been hearing rave reviews from several friends who are real "foodies" so naturally we had to check it out Sumo Maya far exceeded our very high expectations. Every dish was unique and delicious The ingredients are quite fresh, The flavors distinct The service was very attentive. Everyone there was friendly and inviting. The decor is unique and quite eclectic A must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Identity Crisis - Lacks ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014My recent dinner there was a disaster and the worst $250 dinner I've had in years. Noise: I like music, a lot, so when I walked in the door and saw a DJ at the hostess stand I thought, cool! That changed quickly though as it was so damn loud I couldn't hear my guests or the waitress most of the night Service. Friendly but we were seated and immediately ordered some apps for the table and actually ate our first three dishes before we saw her again so we could order cocktails, nearly 20 minutes later. We considered leaving. Food. Full of fillers, $14 order of rock shrimp was 8 small shrimp in a huge bowl on a pile of lettuce. Several other dishes were the same. I eat out 6 days a week in good places, it's about value not price.