SumoMaya Mexican-Asian Kitchen
6562 N. Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85253Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
SumoMaya Mexican-Asian Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sumomaya.com/
- Phone: (480) 397-9520
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Mexican, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Herb Wilson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from SumoMaya Mexican-Asian Kitchen
Come with us as we travel through Mexico and Asia on a chef-driven culinary adventure. At SumoMaya, we celebrate the flavors of these distinctive cultures with our unique seasonal fusion cuisine. You’ll experience quality and personalized service second to none in our trendy and vibrant environment. Our unwavering commitment to sourcing the highest quality ingredients and providing the ultimate guest experience will have you traveling with us time and time again. Arigato! Gracias!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
SumoMaya Mexican-Asian Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
SumoMaya Mexican-Asian Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
189 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (138)fit for foodies (131)vibrant bar scene (112)neighborhood gem (71)good for groups (68)great for outdoor dining (65)special occasion (45)late-night find (23)great for lunch (23)great for brunch (16)romantic (11)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- On a recommendationNanamissBVIPDined on 11/19/2014A friend and I were driving by and she said that she had been there the previous week and loved it. So we took friends the next day and Wow. I had read the review I. The paper after I made the reservation, and yes, it was noisy. But it was vibrant and exciting as well. The food has to be experienced to understand. We tried 12 different things and would order 11 again. I am so glad to have it nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy of a 2nd visit!DonnaVIPDined on 11/18/2014Great place, great energy. The only problem we had was they forgot to bring us our food two different times! We were enjoying some small plates during happy hour and twice had things left behind. The servers were a bit vague about where the food was and at times it seemed that they were overwhelmed. It is a very different menu and we did enjoy the spicy tuna rolls and the street tacos. Flavors were great. The guacamole was a bit disappointing however we only tried the regular and I would try some of the other combinations they have for the guacamole. We did not care for the chips that they were served with. All in all though it is a lively spot and hopefully they will iron out the kinks!Special Features:
- Sunday brunch was goodHiexpectationsVIPDined on 11/16/2014Tried it for brunch. Service was great...food was varied and different,they had r&b live music which was a little to louder my taste at 11:30 am, but the quality was good. Everyone enjoyed the "small plates" and would return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceKristenDined on 11/12/2014I was visiting the Scottsdale area and meeting a friend for dinner late and she suggested we try SumoMaya because she had never eating there. The experience was fantastic from the hostesses friendly greeting, the patio seating on a very nice evening and the waiter, who didn't rush us, although we were pushing there food service time limits. The guacamole appetizer was very flavorful with just enough zest, Sea Bass was firm but tender with an outstanding flavor. My friend had a noodle dish recommended by our server which was just spicy enough to get your attention without over powering the flavor. I would recommend SumoMaya to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New and different and VERY GOOD!GobzafunVIPDined on 11/12/2014Very interesting and different dishes. All had tremendous flavor and left us marveling at the combinations, right down to the beverages. Looking forward to going back and trying other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something DifferentRecEaterVIPDined on 11/10/2014Great place. Enjoyed everything I tried. The soft shell crab sumo roll, the crispy calamari and the pork belly. Great flavors. Many other menu items I'd like to try.Special Features:
- Fun, different dining experiencesuznfoodDined on 11/9/2014We had a wonderful dinner.....fabulous service and truly unique ambiance. You have to be a little bit adventurous, but if you listen to your server, you are sure to have an amazing experience! Try the Prickly Pear Margarita--delicious! The Tuna Tacos were out out this world! I can't wait to go back! I wouldn't try to go without reservations.....busy even on a Sunday night!Special Features:
- Didnt honour reservation timeReesaspiecesDined on 11/8/2014We arrived at this packed restaurant and they told us the wait for our table would be around 45min. They couldnt care less that we had a reservation. We ate at the bar. The food was decent but not worth writing home about!Special Features:
- Twin2Dined on 11/8/2014Nick was our waiter and excellent at his job. We really enjoyed the experience and the food. We will definetly come back again and try the items on the menu we did not try the first time.Special Features:
- Sumo MayaDougVIPDined on 11/7/2014Our second time there. Great food and service. Loud and lively atmosphere. Definitely a different type of venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDining2014Dined on 11/6/2014The food was different than most Asian restaurants. Highly recommend for sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip New Hot SpotladieswholunchVIPDined on 11/4/2014I have been wanting to try Sumo Maya for months because I kept hearing how great it was. Well it for sure met all my expectations. My friends and I met for dinner and ended up sharing all of the plates we ordered and I would highly recommend the ceviche dishes! We ordered two of them because they were so delicious. The only problem we had were the hostesses. I had made a reservation and arrived 15 minutes early to get the table. The girls kept saying one minute and we didn't get sat until after our reaervation. It seemed like there were too many people working the front and they need better communication. I will still go back though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good experienceFinikyDined on 11/4/2014Everything inside the restaurant is great. Food is very good. Service was excellent. Everyone at SumoMaya was friendly, helpful and professional. The noise level is high, but did not prevent conversation. My only negative is that I have a hangup with restaurants that almost force you to valet park.Special Features:
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014We just moved to Scottsdale a few months ago, and this is where we usually take friends who come to visit. It is a great new spot in town with fantastic food. Usually a crowd pleaser because you can take your time working through the menu to order small plates and sushi to share so that everyone can try a little of everything. Any of the guac is always a win. The crowd tends to be on the younger side the later the evening gets, but it is a great atmosphere! LOVE the music too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention GetterdesertariDined on 10/30/2014Wonderful food but: did not honor request for patio dining and then table was given to another party....not very professional! Totally geared to Bar Scene and not dining room patrons-that needs attention!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip spotLiv2dineDined on 10/30/2014Was not what I was expecting. It was impossible to find a place to park other then valet. Service was below average. We ate our entire meal before our drink order made it to the table. Overall experience was not worth the price tag.Special Features:
- An Asian restaurant with some Mexican dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/28/2014Sumo Maya has a great concept. Fusion suggests that some artful and creative blending of two very different cuisines was to occur. However, I felt the menu was primarily dishes either asian or Mexican, but rarely a blend of both.Special Features:
- Fabulous.Winston6Dined on 10/28/2014Highly recommended. Gourmet food , fresh, local ingredients. Server attentive and well versed on menu. Casual environment with local , small town feel to it. Pricing fair but not cheap for Tapas style menu. One of my sushi orders was delayed and server quickly apologized and removed from the bill. We will be back.Special Features:
- Group BirthdayArethaDined on 10/28/2014My party of six all enjoyed their birthday dining at SumoMaya Mexican-Asian Restaurant. The lunch had a good selection to choose from. We would definitely cone back again.Special Features:
- Well executed fusion cuisineChrisGDined on 10/26/2014SumoMaya does an excellent job pairing the Asian and Mexican flavors. Foodies will love seeing tradition fare kicked up a notch, with both texture and unique combos. We started with the pomagranate guacamole that has a natural compliment of salty and sweet with just enough punch in texture. The Asian crab noodles delight taste buds, and you will find yourself craving the dish days later! Compliments to the chef!Special Features:
- Must TryTreacleVIPDined on 10/25/2014Very unique. Great food and people watching. We will definitely go back, but next time we will know not to order the Lobster Crab Dynamite. It was the only bad dish we ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior ServicemmcgDined on 10/24/2014Visited SumoMaya for the first time. The restaurant was packed, and we were seated soon after we checked in with at the hostess stand. The noise level was very loud. Our server was very attentive and helpful. We had a guest with many dietary restrictions and she worked closely with them to ensure that their order would accommodate the restrictions. The food was excellent. We will definitely return as a result of the service and quality of the food.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014Amazing blend of flavors that go together perfectly. Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BookloverDined on 10/19/2014Loved the food especially the Mexican pho. Complex, perfectly spiced, delicious. We will definitely recommend this restaurant to friends and come back often.Special Features:
- Happy MouthHeatherGVIPDined on 10/18/2014This place earned all the hype they have been getting! My mouth was experiencing so much happiness it was almost obscene! The fusion between Mexican and Asian is seamless perfection. The cocktails we creative and generous. Try the Mexican Pho...not what you would normally expect. It is out of this world. Make some adventurous sushi choices we tried 3 different ones and each was amazing. The habanero salsa will melt your tongue in a good way. Ahi Tuna tacos are a must have. Go with a few people and order multiple plates so you can try the whole menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So loud no one could hearjjphxVIPDined on 10/16/2014We went for a birthday celebration and there were 4 of us. There was some event going on in the bar and the place was packed. Valet was full and had to park across the street. The crowd was so loud and the music was even louder. No one could hear at our table and the waitress couldn't even hear us because our food order was wrong. The food and service was good but an unpleasant experience to not be able to have a conversation. I had been there a few weeks before and it was very nice but no event was going on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014We had out girls night out there. The food was amazing and the ambiance was fun! There was a DJ that played a lot of great throw back music the night we went. This made it even more entertaining because we didn't want the night to end. The food is a bit pricey, but very tasty! I'm definitely going back, but taking my hubby next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Omakase Meal...HiJilloDined on 10/7/2014"Omakase" is short for "omakase shimasu", which means roughly, "I trust you (the chef)". I had the luxury of sitting in front of the sushi case early in the evening and was spoiled by delicious bites course after course. Know your food and trust the kitchen and you will have an incredible time. Be kind to NOT show up at 7:30 in the middle of service and ask the chef for an Omakase meal - at least give them the option of saying no when busy. The menu is full and well thought-out for what seems like an incredibly incongruous concept and I look forward to returning and tasting other items. Please tell the bar manager to relax and smile!Special Features:
- azsteelDined on 10/5/2014Great mix of food selections and reasonably priced during social hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- May be my new favorite joint!!!!wRXCherryDined on 10/5/2014I have gone now for dinner once and Sunday brunch once. I cannot wait to go back. Amazing food. From the hand made tortilla and earthy flavor of the mushroom street tacos, ama ebi (sweet shrimp), tuna sashimi, to the bottomless blood orange mimosas with crispy pork belly eggs benadict nothing was left to be desired. I am not one to take pictures of my food. I took pics of everything. I then showed these pictures to everyone I thought might go. HIGHLY recommended!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, TRBLE Noise!!carryonVIPDined on 9/28/20143rd time dining here, so obviously we enjoy the food. The noise level is excessive that even the wait staff has trouble understanding the orders. EACH time we've been at SM, there has been a mistake in our order, and part of it has to do with the noise. The servers also don't seem to know the menu and are often unable to answer anything, even basic information about how an item is prepared! They are happy to oblige by getting the information, but just seem not to have been "educated" in what is being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekAjs228Dined on 9/27/2014We were about 10 minutes early for our reservation, and after waiting at the bar for a few minutes, decided to just eat there. The food was tasty and very interesting. The bartender was attentive, gave us good recommendations, and mixed good cocktails. The people-watching was pure Scottsdale, and the in-house DJ was running a bunch of early-90's hip-hop (Ini Kamoze!). Fun night, all around. The only hitch was, they have two kitchens: one for sushi and one for hot dishes, and they don't coordinate how their respective dishes come out. We ordered guacamole, put in our order for a sushi app about 10 minutes after that, and the sushi still arrived about 5 minutes before the guac. My entree arrived 10 minutes before my wife's. A slight hiccup.Special Features:
- Yummo!tiegarlillieDined on 9/27/2014Amazing food with amazing service! The wait staff were all very friendly and engaged in conversations with guests. The food was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant or Nightclub?desertfoodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014The food is excellent, and our waiter was wonderful. The only problem is that the noise level was so loud, it was difficult to talk... and we were on the patio! Truly a great place, but beware if you want to have a casual conversation with your party; it won't happen unless you plan to have a hoarse voice. In reality, SumoMaya needs to decide if they are going to be a restaurant or a vibrant nightclub. I don't think it can be both. Perhaps quieter music until 9 or 10PM, and then turn it up!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant, Nightclub, or Bar?HeatherisaFoodieDined on 9/26/2014When you walk in, the host stand doubles as DJ booth?! It is so loud, you can't even have a conversation with who you are sitting with, the servers have to yell to take your order! Above the bar, are 2 giant flat screen TV's, now it's a sports bar? We came in for AZ Resturant Week, first course Pomegranate Guacamole... putting 2 halves of an avocado, smushing it a bit and throwing some dried fruit and pomegranate seeds on it does not make a dish....where is the spice, the acid, the salt? My next course was the rock shrimp tempura, completely overdressed with mayo, not a piece of tuna in the dish, as mentioned, again, very bland! I get it...cool, hip, and trendy Scottsdale hot spot, but are you trying to sell the food or the scene?Special Features:
- Finally!ScottsdaleprimeVIPDined on 9/25/2014Finally! Scottsdale has a restaurant that achieves the goal of combining a creative dining experience with excellent food. After 6 years living in the Valley of the Sun: This restaurant is a welcome change to the culinary scenery! Outstanding in every facet!Special Features:
- inventive and delicious!winstongal72VIPDined on 9/25/2014Absolutely everything we ate here was fantastic! From the pomegranate guacamole, to the stuffed dates, the rollo chingon...everything, and I mean everything was wonderful. I love the small plates concept and the ability to share, it enables everyone to try things they normally might not. I, for example, avoid seafood because I don't really care for it but I simply couldn't get enough of the seabass. It is NOT to be missed. Fantastic service, we really felt cared for although the restaurant is loud and the bar overwrought with women trying to get attention for themselves. Don't let that diminish the experience or deter you - I will go back over and over again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy & TastySilverbanglesDined on 9/25/2014We tried a couple of the tacos selections. crab and lobster dish. kobe beef and a sushi roll. Everything was presented beautifully and tasted amazing. The server suggested we order at least 5 dishes to share for the 3 of us. We all could have added another selection. The tacos are street style, and come with only two. Next time we would each order two tacos instead. We each had a cocktail and our bill was right at $100.00. Very enjoyable, but if your really hungry order your own plate, don't share as they suggest. Everyone loved the atmosphere which I would call trendy, bright and welcoming. Fun place!! parking is valet.Special Features:
- Great PlaceJDluvfoodDined on 9/23/2014All the food was delicious! No skimpy food dishes. Our sever was fantastic, had perfect recommendations very knowledgeable about all the items on the menu.Special Features:
- So yummy!YummoDined on 9/20/2014We really enjoyed our meal at SumoMaya. We went after hearing about it from some friends and boy are we glad we went. Ambiance is really cool. And the food was just amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.