Summer Shack Cambridge
149 Alewife Brook Parkway
Cambridge, MA 02140Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Summer Shack Cambridge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.summershackrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6175209500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5pm - 11:00pm Saturday: 12pm- 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Tim Willis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: In addition to seating for up to 350 people at the restaurant, we have a full service catering division and will travel all over New England. Our mobile Clambake on Wheels trailer allows us to bring our famous New England clambake to you. We also offer a wide variety of other types of menus perfect for your special event from rehearsal dinners, corporate outings, holiday parties and other celebrations.
A word from Summer Shack Cambridge
The Summer Shack is a fun, casual, restaurant. Specializing in New England Style Seafood. We offer 10 to 12 different types of oysters daily. Lobsters in varying sizes and styles including our signature clambake. Wonderful local grilled fish and crispy fried seafood. We do offer several non-seafood items as well. Steaks, burgers and award winning fried chicken. We are a children friendly restaurant and we can accommodate larger groups upon request.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Summer Shack Cambridge - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Summer Shack Cambridge reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (76)kid-friendly (73)fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (25)special occasion (25)great for lunch (24)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (8)great for brunch (7)late-night find (5)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Lived up to Julia!!!FoodieMikeDined on 8/15/2014I first heard of Jasper White's pan roasted lobster more than 30 years ago on a Julia Childs' show. I was delighted to find that he now has the Summer Shack group and the dish is still their signature. I was worried that nothing could live up to my expectations but the food and the service sure did. A GREAT lobster dish. Absolutely fresh the way you only get them in New England with a wonderful preparation, fabulous sauce and impeccably served. Be prepared to lick your fingers! Excellent wine choices made a great dinner even better. The fried oysters and seafood salad were perfectly prepared and also absolutely fresh.This is not a white table cloth place but if you want fresh seafood, well prepared you can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Great Evening with FriendsofMonDined on 8/9/2014We went out with two other couples for a lovely dinner. All the food was excellent. My husband and I split the New England Bouillabaise and the striped bass with corn pudding, and we were glad that we were able to have a bit of each. The others had fried clams and fish and chips, and everyone loved their orders. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. What more could you ask?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014everything was great except the portion size was kind of small for the prices paidSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shack Does It AgainJohndVIPDined on 8/7/2014Had a very enjoyable meal with 2 friends. The oysters (blonde) were delicious, fried clams, crab, shrimp and steak all enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh seafood and Crisp WineAdderley3CVIPDined on 8/3/2014For those looking to catch a fresh meal of shellfish and the like this restaurant will fit the bill with many traditional and non traditional preparations to ocean fare. The specials are tasty for the adventurous and the traditional items are just as appealing. The wine list is good and offers a number of great beverages to supplement the meal.Special Features:
- Sunday Evening at the Summer ShackBostonianDined on 8/3/2014The Summer Shack is a great place to go when you're in the mood for a casual restaurant. By 6 pm nearly every table was filled. The clambake special had so much in it. The soft shell lobster, sweet and tender, went from the lobster tank to the steamer to your plate, resulting in one of the freshest tasting lobsters I have ever had. For a soft shell lobster I was surprised to find so much lobster meat. Our waitress was patient, helpful and attentive. This is a restaurant to which you will want to return.Special Features:
- Superb fishLloydVIPDined on 8/2/2014The Cambridge Summer Shack, much better than the grrim one in Boston, is a hopping, fun place to eat. It's like being at a picnic. The fish is superbly done, perfectly cooked. I love the "heart-healthy" grilled bluefish--probably the best, and juiciest in town. The best dessert is the soft-serve vanilla (turst me!). They still haven't figured out how to make great pie, though this time I couldn't resist peach=blackberry and the crust was better though there was only one blackberry. The wait-staff is very good--very nice, friendly people--but sometimes a little slow (as in where's my check? where's my place setting?). PS. The fried chicken is also terrific and the potato salad is great. And occasionally you'll find a celebrity eating here.Special Features:
- fabulous seafood!grotonfoodieDined on 8/2/2014We have eaten here many times and it always meets our high expectations. The food is fresh and delicious - the service is perfect!Special Features:
- Mediocre at best, very overpricedHyceDined on 8/1/2014The hostess seated us immediately and agreed to seat us in an open booth. The nearby server yelled at us "Oh NO, NO people! You can't sit there, it's not set yet!" He was our server for the night and continued to be grouchy. The busman was nice but made us feel rushed, taking plates when we were barely done. We each ordered a coin margarita which tasted terrible, cost $10 and in the smallest 'highball" glass I've ever seen. My clam chowder was good and the salad with goat cheese was fine tho' overdressed. The butterfish special app w/ szechuan vegetables was minuscule and not a bit spicy. My date's cod cakes were rather tasteless. For a restaurant that bills itself as having great fish, we were very disappointed. Entree prices very high.
- Simply Perfect!LNapsDined on 7/31/2014Was on vacation with my sons and we did a little research on where to eat. Summer Shack was on our list and boy were we glad we selected it!! Great food, service and the front greeter was outstanding. Will always go back when in Boston!!!!!!Special Features:
- Great food and service!FoodDudeDined on 7/27/2014In our group of 8 people we had fried clams, flounder, fried oysters and bouillabaisse. All dishes were hot, very fresh and served quickly. Thank you very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood, great serviceHungrygirlDined on 7/25/2014We were able to move our reservation back a half hour when we knew we were running late. We were great in a friendly manner at the door and our table was ready. Great friendly attentive service even a on a busy night. They know what they are doing! I had the grilled salmon over a bed a spaghetti in a butter-lemon sauce-the best salmon I've had ever! My husband and son enjoyed the 1 1/2 lb steamed lobsters and the blueberry buckle (kind of a pound cake loaded with blueberries and topped with vanilla ice cream) was fantastic and large enough to split 3 ways. I wish we lived closer so we could go there more often!Special Features:
- A Fine Dinner at Summer ShackOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/22/2014Another quick decision to go to SS. Our family knows what to expect. The specials on the board are always interesting. Great selections of fresh oysters. We're usually quite happy with our dining experience. Service is fine and food comes out hot. There are lots of fried and broiled fish/seafood items as well as items for the non-seafood eater. They have a nice wine and beer list. Don't plan on this being your romantic dinner, but if you want a open and airy feeling restaurant with a vibrant dining room, the Shack is your place. Have a lobster too. The food is slightly on the high side, but you get only the freshest ingredients and there's amble parking and you don't have to shlep into Boston.Special Features:
- Consistency is Key!MetalOxVIPDined on 7/21/2014This restaurant never disappoints.....the seafood is fresh, the service is quick and friendly, the specials are varied. Even better, it's not one of these seafood restaurants with a million and one fried items - they prepare the fish in a manner of ways. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014Summer Shack is our go-to place for seafood. The food and service is always excellent. The menu always features the freshest catches with new and delicious preparations. And Jasper White makes frequent, friendly appearances!Special Features:
- Great food at reasonable pricesRichardLDined on 7/19/2014Summer Shack at Alewife is terrific. Free parking, good menu, solid food. The fish dishes are always fresh, and the cornbread and desserts are good. It's not an elegant environment, but it's a Summer Shack! Fun for the family.
- What a Catch!LobstahLovrDined on 7/18/2014Let me say that the pricing was a bit high for lobster, especially since I live in New England. That being said everything was cooked amazingly well, and it was all delicious! The lobster pot-stickers were a new twist on my favorite shellfish, and the lobster roll was fresh not over-mayonaissed, and adequately proportioned for the price. We will definitely be back to summer shack, the service alone was outstanding and the food was the bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea Bass Was A StarVinnieDined on 7/18/2014R. I. Style fried calamari was tender and delicious. The bowl of clam chowder was not too thick like at many restaurants, but tasty and brothy. Grilled monkfish entree came with roasted potatoes and my grilled whole sea bass was exactly that. It consisted of the entire fish, head tail, and all. It had sweet delectable meat and was an experience to eat. It was accompanied by a tasty pineapple salsa and coconut rice. Our server was friendly and efficient and I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- TerribleMatthewTDined on 7/17/2014Went to summer shack for dinner and was completely disappointed. Salmon was overcooked, steak tips in the surf and turf were also overcooked and tough. The only thing that was ok were the crab legs. I'm assuming that's because they don't take much skill to execute. The side with the crab was pretty bad though. When we asked for a second round of beers, one person in out party did not receive one. She didn't bother saying anything since nobody was very impressed. We frequent seafood restaurants, and Summer Shack is a complete joke.
- fun for loud groupbelmontmomDined on 7/15/2014Great spot for a reunion of loud, noisy friends. Food was great and waiter very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodspankyDined on 7/4/2014clam chowder was only luke warm even after another cup was delivered.
- Best lobster & clam chowder!Jenn1000VIPDined on 7/4/2014I always take my business and/or personal visitors here for the "Boston Lobster". It's on the expensive side, but the flavors they offer are the best!Special Features:
- Food Portionsfood4thotDined on 6/27/2014Taste-wise, the food was great. Loved the seasoning for the lobster, oysters, and mussels. However, we came here some time ago, and remembered the portions being a lot bigger. For the price, we expected more food.
- Not what it wasrepeatVIPDined on 6/27/2014Having eaten a Jasper White's food over about 25 years (going backtoJasper's) we are at the end. While the raw bar is very good (although more limited list that elsewhere) the rest of the menu has gotten more mundan and more expensive. At the same time,the concept of clam shack gone urban has lots it's novelty. Doubt we will be back.
- Great seafoodAlexisaceDined on 6/23/2014If you want great seafood—it's lobsters, oysters, mussels, fish galore here. All fresh and prepared well. Don't expect any ambience though. It's literally like driving to a beachside shack to enjoy a good meal and your company. If that's what you are looking for, this restaurant is highly recommended.Special Features:
- Hostess without a clueTco6Dined on 6/22/2014Made a reservation for 3 adults and 2 infants (noted such in our reservation). Hostess was not prepared for infants, kept expecting 5 adults and then blamed us for not placing reservation properly. We had to stand at a table and wait while they figured out where to put us and get high chairs. Waitstaff and food were both just fine. Have been here before and this visit was terribly different. Not sure if I will return.Special Features:
- LOBSTAH at the ShackBGBostonVIPDined on 6/21/2014When I want a great Lobster I go straight to Summer Shack. Yes there are less costly places to eat my crustacean of choice but JASPER (White) created the pan roasted many years ago and it is still my wife's favorite. The Service was a bit off which was unusual and I must say that the order of steamers was weak. The steamers were great but the order was skimpy. The spinach salad sounded terrific but it was quite pedestrian. But I ordered a 2lb steamed Lobster and it might have been the best lobster I have ever eaten. the shell was very hard and the meat crazy sweet and tender. Just perfection!.Special Features:
- Consistent qualityDiningDetailsDined on 6/14/2014This was our 6th visit in as many months and as always the fish was fresh and well cooked. "Shack" sums up the atmosphere - nothing fancy here - but a fun atmosphere and consistently good quality make for a great place to get together with friends.Special Features:
- Pluto4disappointeddogsVIPDined on 6/14/2014excellent food, love the casual dining experience here (cambridge location), has the best waiter (Sal)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the first time, disappointingreddDined on 6/10/2014We have gone here many times but this time was alarming. The lobster was definitely not up to snuff, but still very high priced. (Three of our party had lobster and one had a lobster roll, and only one said their lobster was top-shelf). My crab cake was excellent as was the spinach salad. Corn was only average. Beans were fab. But the lobstah -- what a disappointment!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014Very pleasant for dinner on Monday night - not too crowded or noisy. Oyster menu was great, particularly enhanced by a helpful waitress who had tried all five kinds recently and her clearly honest recommendations influenced our choices. Service was excellent, no hovering but always appeared with water/drink refills when needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeorgeGeorgeDined on 5/21/2014We have been to Summer Shack in Cambridge many times over the years. The food is generally very good, especially their fish blackboard specials. Had fried flounder last night, very fresh, properly cooked, and a generous portion. This is a large restaurant with ambiance that varies.
- Just great!!GuylouDined on 5/18/2014Food was great, clam chowder and lobsters are just excellent!! A little bit noisy, not a good place for a romantic dinner but to eat great seafood!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun DinnerWsweVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had a great time at the Shack! Food is very good! Our waitress was wonderful!!!! And they start the meal with a big basket of wonderful warm rolls and corn bread. We were 6 people and everyone enjoyed their meal.Special Features:
- Always reliably greatRichDined on 5/15/2014Our go-to place for occasions - this time my birthday. My wife and I both are lobster nuts though so that helps make this a fun place for us. Their pan roasted lobster is always super delicious!Special Features:
- Great Local RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2014A fun place to go, but plan on an an array of seating options and a loud dining room. Food is fresh and there are interesting special combinations. As the name implies, it's a "shack" feeling. The food is plated nicely, but not with the same ambiance as a fine restaurant. Oysters are so fresh and lots of other seafood options. It's a wonderful local restaurant which covers the basics of having a casual dining experience without having to get dressed up, have trouble parking and stress about what to wear. It's fun, kid friendly, and if you go in with that expectation, you'll certainly want to go back.Special Features:
- Manuela my Server RocksCARIBDIVADined on 5/11/2014We had a reservation for Mother's Day and it's the best choice for a Mother's day brunch. I was with my granddaughter and her child. The food was delicious and our server was just an added touch. She made sure she talked to our 4 years old little guy in the party and made eye contact with him. She was watching her tables from afar and would promptly check with us when lifted our heads. She was friendly, pleasant, on top of things and just a joy. Lobsters were amazing, well cooked. We order two and they were prepared differently. Both delicious, sauce not heavy even when it was creamy. This was my first time, I'm definitely coming back with friends and family and will recommend. Worth driving for if you are from far away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent Mother's Day experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Had a great Mother's Day lunch here at Summer Shack. Food was excellent and my little one loved looking at the lobsters. They even took one out of the tank for her to look at. She loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSinatraDined on 5/10/2014We were hoping for some good seafood. Instead, we found the food was tasteless, over salted and over priced. The restaurant was VERY Loud. A disappointing dining experience.Special Features:
- Summer shack not just for summerMhw123Dined on 4/30/2014Really good seafood. Some very creative dishes. Took friends from out of town craving lobster. No one was disappointed. Pan fried lobster to die for!Special Features: