Summer Shack Cambridge
149 Alewife Brook Parkway
Cambridge, MA 02140Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Summer Shack Cambridge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.summershackrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 520-9500
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5pm - 11:00pm Saturday: 12pm- 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Tim Willis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: In addition to seating for up to 350 people at the restaurant, we have a full service catering division and will travel all over New England. Our mobile Clambake on Wheels trailer allows us to bring our famous New England clambake to you. We also offer a wide variety of other types of menus perfect for your special event from rehearsal dinners, corporate outings, holiday parties and other celebrations.
A word from Summer Shack Cambridge
The Summer Shack is a fun, casual, restaurant. Specializing in New England Style Seafood. We offer 8 to 10 different types of oysters daily. Lobsters in varying sizes and styles including our signature clambake. Wonderful local grilled fish and crispy fried seafood. We do offer several non-seafood items as well. Steaks, burgers and award winning fried chicken. We are a children friendly restaurant and we can accommodate larger groups upon request.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Summer Shack Cambridge - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Summer Shack Cambridge reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (67)kid-friendly (59)fit for foodies (34)special occasion (22)neighborhood gem (21)great for lunch (20)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (6)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- summer shackestwingmanDined on 11/5/2014The service was great. They did not ask us if we wanted drinks right away. The food was excellent. The clam bellies were awesome. The mussles and sauce was outstanding. The chowder was one of the best we ever had.The scallops were very overdone and chewy.The waiter was awesome and helpful with the menu. The High light of the dinner was the Scorpion Bowl that was from the old restaurant that was there. Awesome idea. We will return again. Overall a great dining experience. Great atmosphere and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014The food never ever disappoints. Everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for fishBirthdaynightoutDined on 10/24/2014The easy place to get fresh great fish, and the parking is easySpecial Features:
- from DCChristyeatsDined on 10/24/2014Had the grilled blue fish special of the day with a side of garlic green beans. The blue fish was perfectly cooked, the green beans tender without begin over-cooked, the portion was very civilized. Not a bulging plate, just right. Everyone else at the table was equally pleased with their choices. Frankly, I was surprised that such a large restaurant could be so good. Props to the Chef and the rest of the kitchen.Special Features:
- Summer Shack Rocks!JWSummerShackFanDined on 10/17/2014My fiancée and I each had a great meal. The Ginger Sesame Chicken Wings were awesome. The Canadian Swordfish was out of this world. Jen, our Server was tremendous with an incredible command of the Wine List.Special Features:
- Groups yes!vasilatosDined on 10/11/2014I've thrown group (5-20) parties at Summer Shack many times, and it never disappoints. The clams are great! The fried clams are beyond compare, and the lobsters are perfectly cooked. It's lively but not enough to interfere with conversation, which my groups have always had in abundance to catch up. Always great service, always on time and efficient with my reservations, parking lot makes for no worries, all in all my go-to place for group gatherings.Special Features:
- mai14Dined on 10/10/2014Our kids were thrilled to meet (and pet) a lobster!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inedible steak tipshithereVIPDined on 10/9/2014if you want gristle and over cooked beef , you will find it here
- good food, high pricesww29Dined on 10/7/2014good selection of seafood choices but prices were higher than similar restaurantsSpecial Features:
- Noisy and over saltedWestCambridgeLadyVIPDined on 10/3/2014The good news is that even on a Friday night at the last minute, you can make a reservation. The bad news is that you can't hear each other talk. Usually the food is fine but this time the grilled fish was so salty I couldn't eat it. The waitress was very accommodating but I probably won't go back which is too bad because it's in my neighborhood and I love fish.Special Features:
- Great seafoodChzwirnDined on 9/29/2014My Dad and his wife were visiting from Montana, so we wanted to get them some fresh seafood. Summer Shack was perfect because we also had our 3 boys (all under 9) with us. The adults all shared sangria, which was delicious and enjoyed the great food. The kids menu is much more extensive than most restaurants with a lot of variety, and my kids loved the dessert choices. A great time was had by all.Special Features:
- Well done, but...LouSkuntVIPDined on 9/27/2014Nice decor, festive atmosphere. A little rushed with the entrees stacked right behind the apps. Had oysters, 10 of 12 were excellent, 2 of them smelled/tasted like raw sewage. Lobsters were good, striped bass was delishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably tastyBostonBettyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Good fresh fish options, plenty of fare for non-seafood eaters and a fun, convivial atmosphere. Service is excellent.Special Features:
- better than everOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014The clam steamers were outstanding. the bare lobster roll was a big hit with our 7 year old and the chowder was better than ever. everything was served hot and together. the kids' drinks with tops made things much easierSpecial Features:
- Great place for celebrationCheersDined on 9/11/2014We celebrated our daughter's 30th birthday at Summer Shack and had a great time. Our party included two grandchildren who occasionally got rowdy. The energetic noise level prevented other diners from being bothered. Service was very good and fast. Food was fabulous. Best food I have had in a kid-friendly restaurant.Special Features:
- ups and downsganddVIPDined on 9/11/2014Has been recently renovated with an updated wine list (much improved) and menu. However, the night we were there, the food was only so-so. Salmon was overcooked and swiss chard was undercooked and stringy. This was always a great place for food, if a little down-scale for ambiance and service. However, they have not kept up their standards for their food service with the upgrade in décor. Was disappointed this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyedPeteSDined on 9/8/2014First time at this establishment. Quiet Monday night was perfect for necessary conversation. Food was good. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good!bentleyDined on 9/6/2014The food was good and so was the service. We made it in time for our reservation, during a terrible rain and lightning storm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best lobster bakeMin27Dined on 9/1/2014We are regulars to Summer Shack because the food is fresh, the menu excellent, and super tasty. Two of us had the lobster bake with corn, potato, chorizo, mussels. One had the wood grilled salmon. Delicious and cooked perfectly. The large room is energetic and busy. Can be quite loud. The newly renovated bar would be quieter for conversing. We shared blueberry pie, perfect crust and filling. They would never dream of microwaving it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- averageShirleyDined on 8/30/2014Average food. Horrible service. They served us raw lobster.Special Features:
- Just okay...NeighborDined on 8/29/2014Two of us had, from the daily special menu, the Red Snapper Veracruz with cilantro cream sauce and black bean/corn chile. The fish was a bit over-cooked (dry around the edges) and served in the center of the bowl of chili, the flavors of which over-powered it. The other 2 in our party had 1.5 lb steamed lobsters with a half-ear of corn on the side for $40. each. Draft beer only $6. Single glass of wine was $9.50. Service was great and we appreciated being seated at one of the booths next to the wall where there is less noise. This is a good place to take out-of-town visitors who want fish, and there were lots of families with young children because of the special menu offerings for them, but the high prices keep us from being regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jasper's LobsterAudreyDined on 8/24/2014Jasper's wood roasted lobster is intensely flavorful in the best way. The lobster was properly cooked and the sauce is delicious. Try it! We started with fresh, briny oysters and finished with blueberry pie, with flaky crust and fresh whipped cream. Worth every calorie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad handling of allergiesFoodieDined on 8/23/2014Allergy details were missed despite clear indications in my open table profile.Manager didn't come over and wait staff didn't seem flexibleSpecial Features:
- NancieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Food was delivered warm - not hot. My dish was more "filler" than fish. The noise level was as loud as I have ever experienced. We will not go back.
- Lobster overcookedtracyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Sad that my $54 lobster was overcooked and hard to chew. Oysters were great though. Fried chicken also didn't disappoint. Stock to fresh or fried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great entre with cool sidesDisappointingVIPDined on 8/20/2014Been going to summer shack for many years. Love the place. Great good with caudal settings. Why though are the side dishes so much cooler than the main good?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Fish PlaceDuspinDined on 8/19/2014Can be a pricey excursion if you're having wine. Food is fairly priced and extremely well made. The wait staff? Well, they're young--let's just leave it at that. Ordered a flounder entrée and it was excellent; accompanying vegetables were sitting in a delicious tomato-based sauce, but the grilled zucchini was too oily (probably to keep it from sticking to the grill). Companion's corn pudding was sublime and their fish was just as excellent as mine. Third or fourth time in this establishment and I'd go back again and again. Prior to dinner, at the bar (while waiting for party to arrive), I enjoyed a glass of chardonnay with an oyster/tuna sashimi thingy that was a mouth explosion of flavor and oyster. 10 please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to Julia!!!FoodieMikeDined on 8/15/2014I first heard of Jasper White's pan roasted lobster more than 30 years ago on a Julia Childs' show. I was delighted to find that he now has the Summer Shack group and the dish is still their signature. I was worried that nothing could live up to my expectations but the food and the service sure did. A GREAT lobster dish. Absolutely fresh the way you only get them in New England with a wonderful preparation, fabulous sauce and impeccably served. Be prepared to lick your fingers! Excellent wine choices made a great dinner even better. The fried oysters and seafood salad were perfectly prepared and also absolutely fresh.This is not a white table cloth place but if you want fresh seafood, well prepared you can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Great Evening with FriendsofMonDined on 8/9/2014We went out with two other couples for a lovely dinner. All the food was excellent. My husband and I split the New England Bouillabaise and the striped bass with corn pudding, and we were glad that we were able to have a bit of each. The others had fried clams and fish and chips, and everyone loved their orders. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. What more could you ask?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014everything was great except the portion size was kind of small for the prices paidSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shack Does It AgainJohndVIPDined on 8/7/2014Had a very enjoyable meal with 2 friends. The oysters (blonde) were delicious, fried clams, crab, shrimp and steak all enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh seafood and Crisp WineAdderley3CVIPDined on 8/3/2014For those looking to catch a fresh meal of shellfish and the like this restaurant will fit the bill with many traditional and non traditional preparations to ocean fare. The specials are tasty for the adventurous and the traditional items are just as appealing. The wine list is good and offers a number of great beverages to supplement the meal.Special Features:
- Sunday Evening at the Summer ShackBostonianDined on 8/3/2014The Summer Shack is a great place to go when you're in the mood for a casual restaurant. By 6 pm nearly every table was filled. The clambake special had so much in it. The soft shell lobster, sweet and tender, went from the lobster tank to the steamer to your plate, resulting in one of the freshest tasting lobsters I have ever had. For a soft shell lobster I was surprised to find so much lobster meat. Our waitress was patient, helpful and attentive. This is a restaurant to which you will want to return.Special Features:
- Superb fishLloydVIPDined on 8/2/2014The Cambridge Summer Shack, much better than the grrim one in Boston, is a hopping, fun place to eat. It's like being at a picnic. The fish is superbly done, perfectly cooked. I love the "heart-healthy" grilled bluefish--probably the best, and juiciest in town. The best dessert is the soft-serve vanilla (turst me!). They still haven't figured out how to make great pie, though this time I couldn't resist peach=blackberry and the crust was better though there was only one blackberry. The wait-staff is very good--very nice, friendly people--but sometimes a little slow (as in where's my check? where's my place setting?). PS. The fried chicken is also terrific and the potato salad is great. And occasionally you'll find a celebrity eating here.Special Features:
- fabulous seafood!grotonfoodieDined on 8/2/2014We have eaten here many times and it always meets our high expectations. The food is fresh and delicious - the service is perfect!Special Features:
- Mediocre at best, very overpricedHyceDined on 8/1/2014The hostess seated us immediately and agreed to seat us in an open booth. The nearby server yelled at us "Oh NO, NO people! You can't sit there, it's not set yet!" He was our server for the night and continued to be grouchy. The busman was nice but made us feel rushed, taking plates when we were barely done. We each ordered a coin margarita which tasted terrible, cost $10 and in the smallest 'highball" glass I've ever seen. My clam chowder was good and the salad with goat cheese was fine tho' overdressed. The butterfish special app w/ szechuan vegetables was minuscule and not a bit spicy. My date's cod cakes were rather tasteless. For a restaurant that bills itself as having great fish, we were very disappointed. Entree prices very high.
- Simply Perfect!LNapsDined on 7/31/2014Was on vacation with my sons and we did a little research on where to eat. Summer Shack was on our list and boy were we glad we selected it!! Great food, service and the front greeter was outstanding. Will always go back when in Boston!!!!!!Special Features:
- The following 918 reviews are from the Summer Shack Cambridge reviews archive.
- Great food and service!FoodDudeDined on 7/27/2014In our group of 8 people we had fried clams, flounder, fried oysters and bouillabaisse. All dishes were hot, very fresh and served quickly. Thank you very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood, great serviceHungrygirlDined on 7/25/2014We were able to move our reservation back a half hour when we knew we were running late. We were great in a friendly manner at the door and our table was ready. Great friendly attentive service even a on a busy night. They know what they are doing! I had the grilled salmon over a bed a spaghetti in a butter-lemon sauce-the best salmon I've had ever! My husband and son enjoyed the 1 1/2 lb steamed lobsters and the blueberry buckle (kind of a pound cake loaded with blueberries and topped with vanilla ice cream) was fantastic and large enough to split 3 ways. I wish we lived closer so we could go there more often!Special Features:
- A Fine Dinner at Summer ShackOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/22/2014Another quick decision to go to SS. Our family knows what to expect. The specials on the board are always interesting. Great selections of fresh oysters. We're usually quite happy with our dining experience. Service is fine and food comes out hot. There are lots of fried and broiled fish/seafood items as well as items for the non-seafood eater. They have a nice wine and beer list. Don't plan on this being your romantic dinner, but if you want a open and airy feeling restaurant with a vibrant dining room, the Shack is your place. Have a lobster too. The food is slightly on the high side, but you get only the freshest ingredients and there's amble parking and you don't have to shlep into Boston.Special Features: