Summer Shack Cambridge
149 Alewife Brook Parkway
Cambridge, MA 02140Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Summer Shack Cambridge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.summershackrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6175209500x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5pm - 11:00pm Saturday: 12pm- 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Tim Willis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: In addition to seating for up to 350 people at the restaurant, we have a full service catering division and will travel all over New England. Our mobile Clambake on Wheels trailer allows us to bring our famous New England clambake to you. We also offer a wide variety of other types of menus perfect for your special event from rehearsal dinners, corporate outings, holiday parties and other celebrations.
A word from Summer Shack Cambridge
The Summer Shack is a fun, casual, restaurant. Specializing in New England Style Seafood. We offer 8 to 10 different types of oysters daily. Lobsters in varying sizes and styles including our signature clambake. Wonderful local grilled fish and crispy fried seafood. We do offer several non-seafood items as well. Steaks, burgers and award winning fried chicken. We are a children friendly restaurant and we can accommodate larger groups upon request.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Summer Shack Cambridge - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Summer Shack Cambridge reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (86)kid-friendly (80)fit for foodies (47)neighborhood gem (26)special occasion (26)great for lunch (23)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great place for celebrationCheersDined on 9/11/2014We celebrated our daughter's 30th birthday at Summer Shack and had a great time. Our party included two grandchildren who occasionally got rowdy. The energetic noise level prevented other diners from being bothered. Service was very good and fast. Food was fabulous. Best food I have had in a kid-friendly restaurant.Special Features:
- ups and downsganddVIPDined on 9/11/2014Has been recently renovated with an updated wine list (much improved) and menu. However, the night we were there, the food was only so-so. Salmon was overcooked and swiss chard was undercooked and stringy. This was always a great place for food, if a little down-scale for ambiance and service. However, they have not kept up their standards for their food service with the upgrade in décor. Was disappointed this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyedPeteSDined on 9/8/2014First time at this establishment. Quiet Monday night was perfect for necessary conversation. Food was good. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good!bentleyDined on 9/6/2014The food was good and so was the service. We made it in time for our reservation, during a terrible rain and lightning storm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best lobster bakeMin27Dined on 9/1/2014We are regulars to Summer Shack because the food is fresh, the menu excellent, and super tasty. Two of us had the lobster bake with corn, potato, chorizo, mussels. One had the wood grilled salmon. Delicious and cooked perfectly. The large room is energetic and busy. Can be quite loud. The newly renovated bar would be quieter for conversing. We shared blueberry pie, perfect crust and filling. They would never dream of microwaving it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- averageShirleyDined on 8/30/2014Average food. Horrible service. They served us raw lobster.Special Features:
- Just okay...NeighborDined on 8/29/2014Two of us had, from the daily special menu, the Red Snapper Veracruz with cilantro cream sauce and black bean/corn chile. The fish was a bit over-cooked (dry around the edges) and served in the center of the bowl of chili, the flavors of which over-powered it. The other 2 in our party had 1.5 lb steamed lobsters with a half-ear of corn on the side for $40. each. Draft beer only $6. Single glass of wine was $9.50. Service was great and we appreciated being seated at one of the booths next to the wall where there is less noise. This is a good place to take out-of-town visitors who want fish, and there were lots of families with young children because of the special menu offerings for them, but the high prices keep us from being regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jasper's LobsterAudreyDined on 8/24/2014Jasper's wood roasted lobster is intensely flavorful in the best way. The lobster was properly cooked and the sauce is delicious. Try it! We started with fresh, briny oysters and finished with blueberry pie, with flaky crust and fresh whipped cream. Worth every calorie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad handling of allergiesFoodieDined on 8/23/2014Allergy details were missed despite clear indications in my open table profile.Manager didn't come over and wait staff didn't seem flexibleSpecial Features:
- NancieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Food was delivered warm - not hot. My dish was more "filler" than fish. The noise level was as loud as I have ever experienced. We will not go back.
- Lobster overcookedtracyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Sad that my $54 lobster was overcooked and hard to chew. Oysters were great though. Fried chicken also didn't disappoint. Stock to fresh or fried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great entre with cool sidesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/20/2014Been going to summer shack for many years. Love the place. Great good with caudal settings. Why though are the side dishes so much cooler than the main good?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Fish PlaceDuspinDined on 8/19/2014Can be a pricey excursion if you're having wine. Food is fairly priced and extremely well made. The wait staff? Well, they're young--let's just leave it at that. Ordered a flounder entrée and it was excellent; accompanying vegetables were sitting in a delicious tomato-based sauce, but the grilled zucchini was too oily (probably to keep it from sticking to the grill). Companion's corn pudding was sublime and their fish was just as excellent as mine. Third or fourth time in this establishment and I'd go back again and again. Prior to dinner, at the bar (while waiting for party to arrive), I enjoyed a glass of chardonnay with an oyster/tuna sashimi thingy that was a mouth explosion of flavor and oyster. 10 please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to Julia!!!FoodieMikeDined on 8/15/2014I first heard of Jasper White's pan roasted lobster more than 30 years ago on a Julia Childs' show. I was delighted to find that he now has the Summer Shack group and the dish is still their signature. I was worried that nothing could live up to my expectations but the food and the service sure did. A GREAT lobster dish. Absolutely fresh the way you only get them in New England with a wonderful preparation, fabulous sauce and impeccably served. Be prepared to lick your fingers! Excellent wine choices made a great dinner even better. The fried oysters and seafood salad were perfectly prepared and also absolutely fresh.This is not a white table cloth place but if you want fresh seafood, well prepared you can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Great Evening with FriendsofMonDined on 8/9/2014We went out with two other couples for a lovely dinner. All the food was excellent. My husband and I split the New England Bouillabaise and the striped bass with corn pudding, and we were glad that we were able to have a bit of each. The others had fried clams and fish and chips, and everyone loved their orders. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. What more could you ask?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014everything was great except the portion size was kind of small for the prices paidSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shack Does It AgainJohndVIPDined on 8/7/2014Had a very enjoyable meal with 2 friends. The oysters (blonde) were delicious, fried clams, crab, shrimp and steak all enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh seafood and Crisp WineAdderley3CVIPDined on 8/3/2014For those looking to catch a fresh meal of shellfish and the like this restaurant will fit the bill with many traditional and non traditional preparations to ocean fare. The specials are tasty for the adventurous and the traditional items are just as appealing. The wine list is good and offers a number of great beverages to supplement the meal.Special Features:
- Sunday Evening at the Summer ShackBostonianDined on 8/3/2014The Summer Shack is a great place to go when you're in the mood for a casual restaurant. By 6 pm nearly every table was filled. The clambake special had so much in it. The soft shell lobster, sweet and tender, went from the lobster tank to the steamer to your plate, resulting in one of the freshest tasting lobsters I have ever had. For a soft shell lobster I was surprised to find so much lobster meat. Our waitress was patient, helpful and attentive. This is a restaurant to which you will want to return.Special Features:
- Superb fishLloydVIPDined on 8/2/2014The Cambridge Summer Shack, much better than the grrim one in Boston, is a hopping, fun place to eat. It's like being at a picnic. The fish is superbly done, perfectly cooked. I love the "heart-healthy" grilled bluefish--probably the best, and juiciest in town. The best dessert is the soft-serve vanilla (turst me!). They still haven't figured out how to make great pie, though this time I couldn't resist peach=blackberry and the crust was better though there was only one blackberry. The wait-staff is very good--very nice, friendly people--but sometimes a little slow (as in where's my check? where's my place setting?). PS. The fried chicken is also terrific and the potato salad is great. And occasionally you'll find a celebrity eating here.Special Features:
- fabulous seafood!grotonfoodieDined on 8/2/2014We have eaten here many times and it always meets our high expectations. The food is fresh and delicious - the service is perfect!Special Features:
- Mediocre at best, very overpricedHyceDined on 8/1/2014The hostess seated us immediately and agreed to seat us in an open booth. The nearby server yelled at us "Oh NO, NO people! You can't sit there, it's not set yet!" He was our server for the night and continued to be grouchy. The busman was nice but made us feel rushed, taking plates when we were barely done. We each ordered a coin margarita which tasted terrible, cost $10 and in the smallest 'highball" glass I've ever seen. My clam chowder was good and the salad with goat cheese was fine tho' overdressed. The butterfish special app w/ szechuan vegetables was minuscule and not a bit spicy. My date's cod cakes were rather tasteless. For a restaurant that bills itself as having great fish, we were very disappointed. Entree prices very high.
- Simply Perfect!LNapsDined on 7/31/2014Was on vacation with my sons and we did a little research on where to eat. Summer Shack was on our list and boy were we glad we selected it!! Great food, service and the front greeter was outstanding. Will always go back when in Boston!!!!!!Special Features:
- Great food and service!FoodDudeDined on 7/27/2014In our group of 8 people we had fried clams, flounder, fried oysters and bouillabaisse. All dishes were hot, very fresh and served quickly. Thank you very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood, great serviceHungrygirlDined on 7/25/2014We were able to move our reservation back a half hour when we knew we were running late. We were great in a friendly manner at the door and our table was ready. Great friendly attentive service even a on a busy night. They know what they are doing! I had the grilled salmon over a bed a spaghetti in a butter-lemon sauce-the best salmon I've had ever! My husband and son enjoyed the 1 1/2 lb steamed lobsters and the blueberry buckle (kind of a pound cake loaded with blueberries and topped with vanilla ice cream) was fantastic and large enough to split 3 ways. I wish we lived closer so we could go there more often!Special Features:
- A Fine Dinner at Summer ShackOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/22/2014Another quick decision to go to SS. Our family knows what to expect. The specials on the board are always interesting. Great selections of fresh oysters. We're usually quite happy with our dining experience. Service is fine and food comes out hot. There are lots of fried and broiled fish/seafood items as well as items for the non-seafood eater. They have a nice wine and beer list. Don't plan on this being your romantic dinner, but if you want a open and airy feeling restaurant with a vibrant dining room, the Shack is your place. Have a lobster too. The food is slightly on the high side, but you get only the freshest ingredients and there's amble parking and you don't have to shlep into Boston.Special Features:
- Consistency is Key!MetalOxVIPDined on 7/21/2014This restaurant never disappoints.....the seafood is fresh, the service is quick and friendly, the specials are varied. Even better, it's not one of these seafood restaurants with a million and one fried items - they prepare the fish in a manner of ways. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014Summer Shack is our go-to place for seafood. The food and service is always excellent. The menu always features the freshest catches with new and delicious preparations. And Jasper White makes frequent, friendly appearances!Special Features:
- Great food at reasonable pricesRichardLDined on 7/19/2014Summer Shack at Alewife is terrific. Free parking, good menu, solid food. The fish dishes are always fresh, and the cornbread and desserts are good. It's not an elegant environment, but it's a Summer Shack! Fun for the family.
- What a Catch!LobstahLovrDined on 7/18/2014Let me say that the pricing was a bit high for lobster, especially since I live in New England. That being said everything was cooked amazingly well, and it was all delicious! The lobster pot-stickers were a new twist on my favorite shellfish, and the lobster roll was fresh not over-mayonaissed, and adequately proportioned for the price. We will definitely be back to summer shack, the service alone was outstanding and the food was the bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea Bass Was A StarVinnieDined on 7/18/2014R. I. Style fried calamari was tender and delicious. The bowl of clam chowder was not too thick like at many restaurants, but tasty and brothy. Grilled monkfish entree came with roasted potatoes and my grilled whole sea bass was exactly that. It consisted of the entire fish, head tail, and all. It had sweet delectable meat and was an experience to eat. It was accompanied by a tasty pineapple salsa and coconut rice. Our server was friendly and efficient and I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- TerribleMatthewTDined on 7/17/2014Went to summer shack for dinner and was completely disappointed. Salmon was overcooked, steak tips in the surf and turf were also overcooked and tough. The only thing that was ok were the crab legs. I'm assuming that's because they don't take much skill to execute. The side with the crab was pretty bad though. When we asked for a second round of beers, one person in out party did not receive one. She didn't bother saying anything since nobody was very impressed. We frequent seafood restaurants, and Summer Shack is a complete joke.
- fun for loud groupbelmontmomDined on 7/15/2014Great spot for a reunion of loud, noisy friends. Food was great and waiter very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodspankyDined on 7/4/2014clam chowder was only luke warm even after another cup was delivered.
- Best lobster & clam chowder!Jenn1000VIPDined on 7/4/2014I always take my business and/or personal visitors here for the "Boston Lobster". It's on the expensive side, but the flavors they offer are the best!Special Features:
- Food Portionsfood4thotDined on 6/27/2014Taste-wise, the food was great. Loved the seasoning for the lobster, oysters, and mussels. However, we came here some time ago, and remembered the portions being a lot bigger. For the price, we expected more food.
- Not what it wasrepeatVIPDined on 6/27/2014Having eaten a Jasper White's food over about 25 years (going backtoJasper's) we are at the end. While the raw bar is very good (although more limited list that elsewhere) the rest of the menu has gotten more mundan and more expensive. At the same time,the concept of clam shack gone urban has lots it's novelty. Doubt we will be back.
- Great seafoodAlexisaceDined on 6/23/2014If you want great seafood—it's lobsters, oysters, mussels, fish galore here. All fresh and prepared well. Don't expect any ambience though. It's literally like driving to a beachside shack to enjoy a good meal and your company. If that's what you are looking for, this restaurant is highly recommended.Special Features:
- Hostess without a clueTco6Dined on 6/22/2014Made a reservation for 3 adults and 2 infants (noted such in our reservation). Hostess was not prepared for infants, kept expecting 5 adults and then blamed us for not placing reservation properly. We had to stand at a table and wait while they figured out where to put us and get high chairs. Waitstaff and food were both just fine. Have been here before and this visit was terribly different. Not sure if I will return.Special Features:
- LOBSTAH at the ShackBGBostonVIPDined on 6/21/2014When I want a great Lobster I go straight to Summer Shack. Yes there are less costly places to eat my crustacean of choice but JASPER (White) created the pan roasted many years ago and it is still my wife's favorite. The Service was a bit off which was unusual and I must say that the order of steamers was weak. The steamers were great but the order was skimpy. The spinach salad sounded terrific but it was quite pedestrian. But I ordered a 2lb steamed Lobster and it might have been the best lobster I have ever eaten. the shell was very hard and the meat crazy sweet and tender. Just perfection!.Special Features: