50 Dalton St.
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.summershackrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6178679955x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday thru Friday 11:30pm-4:00pm
Dinner Monday thru Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Friday Dinner is served 5:00pm-11:00pm, Saturday Dinner is served all day 11:30am-11:00pm, Sunday Dinner is all day 11:30am-10:00pm
Happy Hour at the bar only Monday thru Friday 4:00-6:30pm and Sunday all day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Dell Leandro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have full service catering division and will travel all over New England. Our mobile Clambake on Wheels trailer allows us to bring our famous New England clambake to you. We also offer a wide variety of other types of menus.
- Special Events: Happy Hour at the bar ONLY 4:00-6:30pm Monday thru Friday featuring a $5.00 appetizer menu.
A word from Summer Shack
The Summer Shack is a fun, casual restaurant, specializing in New England Style Seafood. We offer 10 to 12 different types of oysters daily. Lobsters in varying sizes and styles including our signature clambake. Wonderful local grilled fish and crispy fried seafood. We do offer several non-seafood items as well. Steaks, burgers and award winning fried chicken. We are a children friendly restaurant and we can accommodate larger groups upon request.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Summer Shack - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Summer Shack reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (69)kid-friendly (44)neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (34)great for lunch (29)special occasion (15)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)Show More
- UnhappyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014Service slow. Restaurant loud. Waiter did not know anything about the menu and the manager offered very little assistance. Food came out sporadic and felt very rushed as after our entree the waiter said I assume you are ready for your check.
- Always the best.CollegeDadDined on 8/29/2014Could be the best lobster and oysters I have ever eaten. Ambience not great, but if you're looking for ambience go somewhere else. If you're looking for GREAT Boston shellfish...TOUCHDOWN!!! This is it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackDCJackDined on 8/28/2014The Summer Shack has fresh seafood, thoughtful and fun prep and a solid staff. From salmon to shrimp, lobster to lump crab, always good.Special Features:
- Great LobsterMGM1Dined on 8/24/2014Excellent lobster dinner and close to The Sheraton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBrucePurpleDined on 8/23/2014Had heard some good things but fell way short of reputation. Pan cooked lobster for $54 was very ordinary. Fried Oyster appetizers were soggy and bland. Wait service was indifferent to us. We thought it would be a good place but I would not go back.
- Great tourist restaurantLikethepointsVIPDined on 8/23/2014I've been several times when visiting Boston. Good New England seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findchinfamDined on 8/22/2014I have seen Jasper White on a few cooking shows. He mentioned his restaurant in Boston. Since he has written seafood cookbooks, we decided to try the restaurant out. It was the best restaurant we ate at on our trip and can't wait to go back. The price fixe $33 meal is well worth it and we got more than our money's worth. Many choices to pick from. Very good clam chowder and gazpacho. The crab cakes are fabulous, which came with terrific sweet potato fries. No breading in the crab cakes and they melt in your mouth, as well as did the swordfish. The grilled shrimp was outstanding. The brownie sundae dessert was great, with a large fudgy brownie. We got great service too. We will definitely be back on our next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieWithAPurposeFoodieWithAPurposeDined on 8/21/2014I recommended Summer Shack for family on a Thursday evening who was entertaining another relative visiting from out-of-town. One of my family members is on a restricted diet and one is a snob who judges a place based on the exterior. She is not a foodie but looks for ambience. Summer shack won both of these two critics over with the delicious food. The restricted dieter was thrilled when her food was made to order and the snob ate everything put in front if her. I have never seen her clean a plate at any of the restaurants I have ever attended with her. She always claimed she couldn't eat very much. Well she ate three courses with no problem and couldn't stop raving about the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly NamedChadbflVIPDined on 8/20/2014The name on the marquee says it all. The vibe, the food, the decor, they all scream Summer. The menu is pretty extensive, lots of seafood, steak and even kid stuff. The service was really top notch, not a thing I could complain about. We had time to enjoy our apps, everything came out hot and tasted fantastic, and our server was present just enough to be sure we had everything we needed. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to Fenway from here, so it's a great spot to park somewhere in the middle and eat before the game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family friendlyMichy1018Dined on 8/17/2014They have a great kids menu with fresh homemade fish sticks, as well as other good options. The adult food was good too. My husband's fish & chips was very fresh and a large portion. The clam chowder was just ok, I found the clams to be chewy, but the mussels were delicious.Special Features:
- Lobster RollsHappyCamperDined on 8/17/2014I came here specifically for the lobster rolls based on a recommendation from a friend. They surpassed all expectations! Both my girlfriend and I ordered the lobster roll and were delighted to see how much meat was stuffed into the toasted, buttery bun. Absolutely delicious. We also ordered the raw oysters. Although I am no expert, I could taste the freshness. TheSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A simple seafood shack in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014All of your seaside favorites: boils, half shells, steamer, and fried. Combined with some upscale twists: half shell clam ceviche, New England bouillabaisse, and the Be Good to Yourself Plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Great food very fresh very clean knowledgeable staff would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the Chowdah...both of themReds7VIPDined on 8/12/2014While the clam chowder was delicious, as one would expect in Boston, the spicy Bermuda fish and crab chowder was a real winner. Reminiscent of the pepper pot I remember my father eating when I was growing up, this was just the right amount of spicy with plenty of hunks of fish, crab and tender veggies. Definitely an order to be repeated on a future culinary adventure! Two thumbs up for sure!Special Features:
- beach9999Dined on 8/2/2014Nice informal place to eat some great seafood. Food was well prepared. Close to Fenway and Copley Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good adressScarlettDined on 7/25/2014Perfect service. Fast food and entirely correct. Good lobster and cooked through. Friendly atmosphere although a little noisy with music a bit strong.Special Features:
- A Little DisappointedFeedme2Dined on 7/17/2014Our group liked our food. It was a bit pricey for lunch. We found the place nearly empty, the music was too loud, and service was slow. One of our party ordered creme brulé for desert and, after a lengthy delay for desert, someone came out to say that the creme brulé was "still in the oven" and the rest of the deserts were ready. After a couple of questions we were told the creme brulé would not be available. My colleague did not want to wait again for another long period of time so she was the only one who did not have desert. It's unfortunate, because she was the one visiting from out of state. I regret not going to the Barking Crab instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shabby and expensiveLovesgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/10/2014In boston for weekend and wanted local lobster by the pound. They only had 3 sizes to offer: 11/2, 2 or 3 lbs. we ordered a 2 and 3. Ok but not as good as eating them in Maine. Next day walked by Atlantic fish company on Newburyport and noticed lower prices for same lobsters. Much more beautiful restaurant and better location. Will give that a try next visit.Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/8/2014We ordered the buffalo shrimp, which was good, but for $11 we thought we would get more than 6 little shrimp. Then we got lobster rolls. They were nothing exciting.
- Overcooked lobster!MissMistyDined on 7/7/2014Overcooking the overpriced lobster special dish is inexcusable. Appetizers were very good especially the fried clams. Crab cakes and steamed crab legs were also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- courtDined on 7/4/2014i loved this place. The food was really good with lots of differnt options. It was packed so the service was a bit slow.Special Features:
- Outstanding Seafoodspl0319Dined on 6/30/2014The seafood was fresh, the menu was large but not overly. Daily special on the black board and the wait staff was well versed on all menu items. The atmosphere was very good, not too loud. Service was spot on and the restaurant was crowded for a week night. Food came out in a timely manner and hot. I will come back on my next visit to Boston.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014Great place to get some great food prior to a sox game, affordable parking at the restaurant, friendly staff, 5 stars by me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing special; sort of blahDawgatAuburnDined on 6/27/2014I don't really have any complaints about Summer Shack, but it didn't seem to do any one thing great. Our party of five had five different dishes and no one left wowed. Server was fine and atmosphere was OK but the food was decidedly average.
- Great Seafood!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014We ate there 3 times during our visit to Boston. The seafood was fresh and delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely come backOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/26/2014We had a party of 5 with 2 kids.......the food was excellent and our server was very attentive. We were in and out in under an hour which is great when there are young kids involved. We had fried calamari, monk fish, grilled shrimp, and fried oysters. All was delicious and the kids loved the corn dogs!!Special Features:
- Definately Not a ShackmarojaleDined on 6/20/2014Saw Summer Shack on the Zagat list for Top Seafood Shanties in the Boston area. The location in Back Bay is anything but a shanty or a shack, it looks a lot like a big chain restaurant inside. The food was very good, I had the fried clam sandwich and the clams were obviously very fresh, and the cornbread with molasses butter was great, but I was really hoping for a more authentic "shanty" experience overall. For the little bit extra I'd rather go back to Neptune Oyster or try out B&G.
- SplashYokochanDined on 6/20/2014We sat near the water tank and got a little wet with the spray because a lobster flounced. The chef gave a small dish to us for nothing. Of course, other main dishes (oysters and lobsters) were great.Special Features:
- Good but not the best locationTravellerDined on 6/15/2014We frequently go to Summer Shack in Deadham and always find the food great. This location was was nearly as good but the bread and rolls were smaller and a touch stale.
- fresh seafoodbostonfanVIPDined on 6/13/2014Always reliable for fresh seafood. We often dine here when in Boston.Special Features:
- Big DisappointmentLocovoreVIPDined on 6/10/2014I've been taking visitors to the various Summer Shack locations for many years. We keep it simple - steamed lobster - and always have a great meal. This time we asked our server for recommendations and were steered in the worst direction. We started with mussels fra diavolo - either the shellfish were bad or the sauce was burned; the dish was inedible. For our main course we ordered a specialty lobster that was nothing like the server described. He described a lobster whose meat was removed from the shell, sauteed in a cognac sauce and returned to the shell; what we got were lobsters split and grilled (but otherwise firmly in the shells) drenched in a heavy, oily sauce. Very unpleasant trying to hold and crack the lobsters.I would recommend this to a friend.
- walktovenetianDined on 6/7/2014haven't been in a while but it seems like it was upgraded and the food was very good
- Disappointing experienceBarbDined on 6/7/2014On a Saturday night it is hard to find a family friendly restaurant with reasonable priced food. I opted to go with summer shack because I thought the seafood must be good if that's what they specialized in. My father and I both ordered the steamers and my boyfriend ordered the fish tacos. The steamers were so over cooked that they were hard to chew and the fish tacos were plated in a way that they were essentially right on top of each other in one gooey mess. I also wasn't impressed by our server at first - we are a pretty outgoing and funny family and he wouldn't crack a smile to save himself but when we brought up issues about the food he was quick to offer replacements. Too bad we didn't trust that the new food would be any better.
- DCVisitorVIPDined on 6/7/2014A great place for lobster, lobster rolls, clams, etc....a real taste of traditional New England seafood in a very casual environment.Special Features:
- Not what I was expectingKnightsgk01Dined on 5/24/2014Summer Shack had received good reviews so my wife and I were excited to eat there. We were seated right away however we had to wait 15 minutes before our waitress came to greet us. We ordered our food and then we waited, and waited, and waited for our food to be served and then once it was, it was extremely underwhelming. The portion sizes were decent but the food lacked flavor and overall for a $70 outing for two people, you can find much better food elsewhere in Boston. We will not be returning.Special Features:
- Great service and good, but noisyBobfromCTDined on 5/24/2014Great dinner and convenient walk to Symphony Hall is weather is nice. But we were seated next to a large party that was loud. They were rudely loud, which isn't the restaurants fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for fishOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014You can get a good steamed lobster elsewhere for a lot less, so I'd steer clear of the steamed lobster or the"clam bake" but they do great things with fish. Spend you money on the chalk board items - my arctic char with arugula pesto was wonderful, the shrimp & corn fritters were super good too.Special Features:
- Surprisingly GoodLlamaFamilyDined on 5/23/2014We were looking for something close by that would work for a family with a second-grader. It was the right amount of noise: we could have a conversation, but not worry about the occasional bursts of glee from our son. The food was surprisingly good, better than hair-under-four-star review would suggest. My wife loved her crab cakes and my read fish was very excellent too.Special Features:
- No thanksBostonEats13Dined on 5/22/2014The food was decent but too expensive. The drinks were outrageously overpriced--$10 for a mixed (weak) cocktail. I won't be coming backSpecial Features:
- Food was bland, service horrendous.ntesniVIPDined on 5/18/2014We were sat quickly, but with no drink or appetizer order taken for close to twenty minutes. Buffalo Shrimp appetizer was tasty, but so small for the price. Out of swordfish as well as salmon for their specials. Lobster roll was very bland.Special Features: