50 Dalton St.
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.summershackrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 867-9955
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday thru Friday 11:30pm-4:00pm
Dinner Monday thru Thursday 4:00pm-10:00pm, Friday Dinner is served 4:00pm-11:00pm, Saturday Dinner is served all day 11:30am-11:00pm, Sunday Dinner is all day 11:30am-10:00pm
Happy Hour at the bar only Monday thru Friday 5:00-7:00pm and Sunday all day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Dell Leandro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have a full service catering division and will travel all over New England. Our mobile Clambake on Wheels trailer allows us to bring our famous New England clambake to you. We also offer a wide variety of other types of menus.
- Special Events: Happy Hour at the bar ONLY 5:00-7:00pm Monday thru Friday and ALL DAY Sunday, featuring a $5.00 appetizer menu.
A word from Summer Shack
The Summer Shack is a fun, casual restaurant, specializing in New England Style Seafood. We offer 10 to 12 different types of oysters daily. Lobsters in varying sizes and styles including our signature clambake. Wonderful local grilled fish and crispy fried seafood. We do offer several non-seafood items as well. Steaks, burgers and award winning fried chicken. We are a children friendly restaurant and we can accommodate larger groups upon request.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Summer Shack reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (65)fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (28)kid-friendly (26)great for lunch (20)special occasion (10)hot spot (8)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- DynahVIPDined on 11/22/2014It's very sad Jasper White is aiming for the one timer tourist crowd. He is missing a captive audience; many who would love this to be a local restaurant. Service and food was perfunctory.
- Good, but inconsistent vs. previous visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/17/2014I'm from out of town & went here based on recommendations. First visit the food was amazing. This time I brought a group and we were all a bit disappointed. Our server was inconsistent, as she was bartending at the same time as serving us and others. I heard the chowder was just ok, the steak tips were tough and were not marinated or flavored at all, a bit of a surprise and disappointment. Corn on the cob not good. The lobster entrees were great, and that's obviously the way to go. I felt bad the group did not like this place as much as I did the first time and I had to agree. I may give it another try.....Special Features:
- Good EatsMargaritaMarciaDined on 11/15/2014We hadn't been to Summer Shack in a few years and were looking forward. We were not disappointed by the food. SOups were excellent (the Lobster Corn chowder was especially noteworthy). Whole flounder is hard to find and was fresh and delicious. We ordered soups, a shared app and shared entree. The entree was a little long in arriving at the table, but it wasn't a deal breaker for us. Waitstaff was friendly and professional. Easy parking lot next door that wasn't too expensive ($15.00 for the evening) although I don't believe they validate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- more expensive than it looks.RobertGDined on 11/15/2014The restaurant is misleadingly more expensive that it looks.... it cost $97.5 for person (a party of four). the food was decent but as a visitor from NY I've seen nicer places with more efficient service (the order of dishes served was screwed up).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lobster I've ever hadGRfoodieDined on 11/14/2014The pan cooked lobster was the best lobster I've ever eaten. bah none;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014fresh ingredients and inventive menu - ideal for Hynes convention centre escapeesSpecial Features:
- TisHimselfDined on 11/8/2014I have been a customer at the Cambridge location for many years but this was the first time at the Boston location and I was not disappointed. The food was excellent and our waitress Kayley? was friendly and professional. If you like Seafood you will love this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2dineDined on 11/7/2014Loved the fried oysters, mussles, and pumpkin lobster bisque. Great lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and excellent serviceSeafoodYumDined on 11/1/2014Fresh oyseters were divine! My surf and turf gulf-shrimp and steak tips was good. The cocktails were delicious. Our server was friendly, attentive, and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentMarcDined on 10/25/2014Advertised as great place for seafood---a major disappointment. Food quality was mediocre at best. Entrees were overcooked and dry. The raw oysters were decent however overpriced. Server was courteous but rushed us on ordering; it appeared her overrunning need was to turn over our table. Not a good place to go for a couple wanting a pleasant night out with good seafood. More suited for a group to go for drinks and run of the mill food.Special Features:
- fried clamsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Done a little differently - very tender, although could be a bit more plentiful.Special Features:
- DisappointedDined on 10/17/2014The location is odd but the lobster roll was the best I had in the citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood!SharpieDined on 10/13/2014Waiter was training someone. Probably not the best choice for trainer. I was never offered a refill even when the glass had been empty for 15 min. even with two waiters! The place was not even busy. Food came quickly. I'm not an expert but I was served clams that hadn't opened. I know they aren't good when they don't open but was surprised to be served a few in my app. I had the pan roasted lobster which was good but messy. I probably wouldn't pay $48 for it again but glad i tried it. Loved the raw oysters. I would focus on those if I were to go back. Clean, laid back, simple place. Enjoyed the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Belive the Hype!RickyDined on 10/12/2014Went there with great expectations about their famous "Lobster Rolls". Was very disappointed to find a small portion, tasteless $24 sandwich. Server did a good job considering the place was understaffed, which made waiting time longer than it needed to be.
- Casual ambiance with very nice foodGilbyDined on 10/10/2014I had two friends visiting Boston from the Midwest, and I thought they might enjoy a seafood dinner that wasn't too stuffy or formal. And since it was mid-October, we could still pretend it was summer and we were having dinner near a beach somewhere. The atmosphere was casual without loud and chaotic, and the food was quite good. We had an excellent grilled calamari, which had an amazing tomato sauce under it, and we enjoyed fresh oysters, which were also excellent. Both of my friends had grilled swordfish. But one of the swordfish steaks was over an inch thick, while the other was about 3/4" thick. They were both cooked the same time, so the thick one was nice and pink and moist, while the thinner one was barely pink and dry. DisappointingSpecial Features:
- Love this placeBeachbrunetteDined on 9/29/2014Every time I visit Boston, the Summer Shack is on or list of places to dine. I always order the same thing-pan seared lobster. The sauce is delicious. The sides are garden fresh-not frozen.Special Features:
- Great food, but loudFishfanDined on 9/28/2014Fantastic fish. I took someone from the UK there because I thought it was the best showcase of true New England fish . A bit loud and our waitress was overwhelmed, I think the place was more packed than usual for a Sunday because it was just after the Jeter finale game. No one does seafood better than the Shack tho.Special Features:
- Very satisifiedFromTheWoDined on 9/27/2014This was my first visit to this SummerShack location, typically we go to the Cambridge location across from Alewife station. This was a post RedSox ballgame dinner, found a great beer selection and as expected top quality seafood. Everyone in the party enjoyed their meals ranging from Lobster Roll to Fish and Chips to Salmon and Swordfish. Service was very good with a very personable, friendly grad student who provided many laughs for us. I would recommend this restaurant for any size party.Special Features:
- hilton back bay guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014Great find within steps of Hilton Back Bay. Server excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialtennisladyhhiDined on 9/19/2014Although this restaurant came recommended by friends, our dining experience was completely ordinary. Food was ok, lobster was fun/good but expensive, and dessert was underwhelming and overpriced. Waiter could not accurately answer our questions and "made up" answers which we knew to be incorrect. Water glasses were not refilled unless specifically requested and the waiter didn't come by often so we could ask. Would not go back. Would generally call it a tourist trap. Can't imagine too many locals eating there.Special Features:
- Just rightHJtavelloverVIPDined on 9/18/2014Perfect end to a travel day, lobster roll was buttery and filling. Atmosphere was casual, wait staff helpful, informative, attentive and friendly. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food okready4dinnerVIPDined on 9/18/2014good for what we needed (casual dinner for a group). Service not stellar (slow, wrong orders) but was friendly and orders readily corrected. food was good but not excellent. Overall, a reasonable choice for a meal if you are in the area and want seafood but probably not worth traveling to go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This time - BIG disppointmentNotsoMuchVIPDined on 9/16/2014We frequently go to the Summer Shack and we were very disappointed this visit. It started with a very long delay to be seated. Then a long time to be acknowledged once seated. Then we put our drink and food order in - which took a long time to find out that one of our diners choices was no longer available. Two of us ordered the summer flounder, which came with bone-in, which was fine, but it didn't indicate it on the menu and it was swimming in butter/olive oil and once self-boned, had very little fish. The tuna tartar was overcooked and the ratatouille side tasted like last weeks fresh tomatoes. The biggest disappointment was Jasper was in the kitchen, and really didn't elude the sense of pride he usually does. Overall an OFF night.Special Features:
- Seafood/PubTorontoVIPDined on 9/11/2014Good neighborhood seafood/pub restaurant. Lots of variety and food is well prepared. Large space which might get noisy when busy. Great for large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fishDenverCulinaryAdventureDined on 9/10/2014Another seafood restaurant tried in the Back Bay neighborhood, and one of the tastier choices. Not much for ambience, but very friendly and helpful wait staff. Had the Caribbean seafood chowder with rum - spicy and delicious. Th special BGTY (healthful) special was a grilled blue fish fillet, excellent with a side of steamed chard. Would definitely recommend to friends, except those at surrounding hotels that might pack the place.Special Features:
- OkayStucatDined on 9/4/2014It was just okay. Food was average. Very convenient walk from our hotel.
- Love the seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Not much in the way of ambiance--but the fried clams are worth the trip!!Special Features:
- UnhappyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014Service slow. Restaurant loud. Waiter did not know anything about the menu and the manager offered very little assistance. Food came out sporadic and felt very rushed as after our entree the waiter said I assume you are ready for your check.
- Always the best.CollegeDadDined on 8/29/2014Could be the best lobster and oysters I have ever eaten. Ambience not great, but if you're looking for ambience go somewhere else. If you're looking for GREAT Boston shellfish...TOUCHDOWN!!! This is it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackDCJackVIPDined on 8/28/2014The Summer Shack has fresh seafood, thoughtful and fun prep and a solid staff. From salmon to shrimp, lobster to lump crab, always good.Special Features:
- Great LobsterMGM1VIPDined on 8/24/2014Excellent lobster dinner and close to The Sheraton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBrucePurpleVIPDined on 8/23/2014Had heard some good things but fell way short of reputation. Pan cooked lobster for $54 was very ordinary. Fried Oyster appetizers were soggy and bland. Wait service was indifferent to us. We thought it would be a good place but I would not go back.
- Great tourist restaurantLikethepointsVIPDined on 8/23/2014I've been several times when visiting Boston. Good New England seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findchinfamDined on 8/22/2014I have seen Jasper White on a few cooking shows. He mentioned his restaurant in Boston. Since he has written seafood cookbooks, we decided to try the restaurant out. It was the best restaurant we ate at on our trip and can't wait to go back. The price fixe $33 meal is well worth it and we got more than our money's worth. Many choices to pick from. Very good clam chowder and gazpacho. The crab cakes are fabulous, which came with terrific sweet potato fries. No breading in the crab cakes and they melt in your mouth, as well as did the swordfish. The grilled shrimp was outstanding. The brownie sundae dessert was great, with a large fudgy brownie. We got great service too. We will definitely be back on our next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieWithAPurposeFoodieWithAPurposeDined on 8/21/2014I recommended Summer Shack for family on a Thursday evening who was entertaining another relative visiting from out-of-town. One of my family members is on a restricted diet and one is a snob who judges a place based on the exterior. She is not a foodie but looks for ambience. Summer shack won both of these two critics over with the delicious food. The restricted dieter was thrilled when her food was made to order and the snob ate everything put in front if her. I have never seen her clean a plate at any of the restaurants I have ever attended with her. She always claimed she couldn't eat very much. Well she ate three courses with no problem and couldn't stop raving about the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly NamedChadbflVIPDined on 8/20/2014The name on the marquee says it all. The vibe, the food, the decor, they all scream Summer. The menu is pretty extensive, lots of seafood, steak and even kid stuff. The service was really top notch, not a thing I could complain about. We had time to enjoy our apps, everything came out hot and tasted fantastic, and our server was present just enough to be sure we had everything we needed. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to Fenway from here, so it's a great spot to park somewhere in the middle and eat before the game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family friendlyMichy1018Dined on 8/17/2014They have a great kids menu with fresh homemade fish sticks, as well as other good options. The adult food was good too. My husband's fish & chips was very fresh and a large portion. The clam chowder was just ok, I found the clams to be chewy, but the mussels were delicious.Special Features:
- Lobster RollsHappyCamperDined on 8/17/2014I came here specifically for the lobster rolls based on a recommendation from a friend. They surpassed all expectations! Both my girlfriend and I ordered the lobster roll and were delighted to see how much meat was stuffed into the toasted, buttery bun. Absolutely delicious. We also ordered the raw oysters. Although I am no expert, I could taste the freshness. TheSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A simple seafood shack in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014All of your seaside favorites: boils, half shells, steamer, and fried. Combined with some upscale twists: half shell clam ceviche, New England bouillabaisse, and the Be Good to Yourself Plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Great food very fresh very clean knowledgeable staff would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.