1954 N Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.summerhousesm.com/
- Phone: 7736344100x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Friday 11:00am-4:00pm
BRUNCH: Saturdays & Sundays 8:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Mahin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: To inquire about private parties or off-premise catering, please call our Sales & Special Events Department at (773) 634-4100.
- Special Events: To inquire about private parties or off-premise catering, please call our Sales & Special Events Department at (773) 634-4100.
A word from Summer House
The California-influenced, American restaurant features a wood-fire grill as its centerpiece and will dish out an ever-changing menu that spotlights locally-sourced produce & ingredients whenever possible. In addition to simply prepared proteins and a large selection of market vegetables, Summer House Santa Monica also boasts Chef Mahin’s signature artisanal bread program, an extensive wine list, fresh-squeezed juices and a wide array of pastry & sweets. Seeking to make diners feel at-home, the restaurant has been designed to evoke the atmosphere of a summer beach house with whitewashed woods, warm tones and a large glass ceiling positioned directly over the dining room that brings the outside in no matter what the season. An open kitchen outfitted in earth-toned tiling and a five-foot, wood-fire grill that emulates a home hearth further fosters the comfortable atmosphere.Continued
Now open for Lunch on Fridays from 11am-4pm and Saturdays & Sundays for our weekend Brunch 8am-3pm!
Now open for Lunch on Fridays from 11am-4pm and Saturdays & Sundays for our weekend Brunch 8am-3pm!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Summer House - Best Restaurants in Lincoln Park ›
Summer House reviews from OpenTable diners
503 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (287)neighborhood gem (265)great for brunch (211)fit for foodies (211)good for groups (206)great for outdoor dining (203)special occasion (148)great for lunch (133)vibrant bar scene (76)kid-friendly (70)romantic (60)notable wine list (48)scenic view (38)late-night find (21)Show More
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/18/2014Made reservations two weeks in advance but still had to wait for a table. Hostess was not friendly or welcoming. Waited several minutes for waitress to come to the table. Also not very friendly or welcoming. Food was ok but really nothing special for the price. Waitress forgot to bring a drink to the table and although she offered to give us a dessert to make up for it she never came back with a dessert menu. We saw her on the way out and she never said a word but rushed over to the table to pick up our check. We always like to try new places but I feel this place will not remain popular unless they improve their service and the quality of their food. Won't be back though; too many other good places with better food and service.
- Ambiance great, food so-soChicagoRNVIPDined on 9/15/2014Celebrated birthday dinner at Summer House. Ordered the 1/2 roast chicken. Other guests ordered the steak frites and salmon. Prices are high for what you get; food is ordinary. I liked the ambiance though. Very bright inside, felt like I was in the west coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good and badOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014I've been here multiple times and have never had such poor service. My family came down for dinner and we sat at the table for 15 minutes without someone coming to fill our waters or take our drink order. I actually had to wave someone over. Mind you it was also 4:15 and empty. So someone comes over apologizes for the transition between brunch/din. And takes our drink and app order. Finally a server brings out our apps. Then a new waiter comes and doesn't even introduce himself or say if he is our waiter, and takes our order after we were done w/ apps. They're lucky the food was good, and they also knocked the apps off of our bill. Still somewhat dissappinited- I raved to my family how great this place was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service and mediocre foodBetterDined on 9/14/2014The service was terrible and the food was way overpriced! $24 for fish tacos???!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchET312Dined on 9/13/2014Berry Waffles and Hash Brown Eggs Benedict were amazing!Special Features:
- LrapsVIPDined on 9/11/2014Great service. Stopped for lunch. My husband said it's the be burger he had in years. Lettuce hits the mark on all counts again.Special Features:
- Really great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2014love the place. love the vitamin d room. love the food and ambiance. and the service was really great. when we finished with one appetizer, they bruoght out the next. they timed it well. enough time between courses to digest. didnt feel overwhelmed with all the dishes.Special Features:
- Pricey but a Great AtmosphereDanielleDined on 9/9/2014Overall a nice dinner out. Food was good. Service was pleasant and the ambiance was great. Only complaint is the pricing; definitely too high for what you're getting.Special Features:
- Loved It!! Great food and servicebrecitaVIPDined on 9/8/2014Our waiter CHRIS was amazing Food was great and menu was fabulous!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot-on AmbienceBucciBergeronDined on 9/8/2014Need a Santa Monica fix? Head to SHSM for a soothing laid-back scene. You'll miss the beach but the eclectic menu, soothing white hues and the cocktails will make up for it. Loved the Fluke Ceviche served on lettuce leaves and the cauliflower was outstanding, as was everything we ordered. Great during the day and as the sun goes down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California in ChicagoDebis03VIPDined on 9/7/2014The restaurant is beautiful I felt like we were eating at Shutters in Santa Monica. Comfy bench seating and light airy decor added to the beach feel decor. The food was good, but the appetizer portions were tiny and pricey for their size. The entrees were good size at average Lettuce prices. Attentive service.Unbelievable desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for when family visitsnatcatDined on 9/7/2014I'm in college at DePaul and we go to Summer House every time my family comes to town. Great food, Great dining outside, and a very fresh menu.Special Features:
- Not wowed.DeenaDined on 9/7/2014Cold food, burnt coffee, why so much hype? I feel like it's pretty ridiculous that people will wait in line for such awful food. Dining room has a lot of sun light...walls are bare with tasteless sayings. Overall will not be going back. Big disappointment since I really love most Lettuce restaurants.Special Features:
- Amazing Gluten Free BruncheantonucciDined on 9/7/2014We came here with my parents after my sister and I ran the Chicago Half Marathon. It was such a great choice. The gluten free pastries were delicious. I love that there were so many options available to me as a gluten free diner. The eggs benedict looked so good, my dad had the pancakes and said they were the best he's ever eaten. If you love bacon you will love theirs. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BrunchlocalsDined on 9/7/2014I had only been to Summer House for dinner but I'd say I enjoyed my brunch meal there better. First off, it was a gorgeous morning and it was awesome eating in there with the roof open and wearing sunglasses, it felt like you were on a sun patio. Two of us got the tostadas and they were unbelievable. The cocktails were great, we got a mix of mimosas and bloody Mary's. Another person got the breakfast sandwich with sausage and spicy mayo, which was great as well. Overall, one of the best brunch spots in Lincoln Park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sand between your toesGreatVIPDined on 9/6/2014Like you were in Santa Barbara less the beach. Light fresh ingredients, great atmosphere. Some items a little pricey. Worth a visit. Great cookies for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT for Brunch on the weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/6/2014What a fun and vibrant brunch spot! We had a reservation but it was so busy we had to wait a bit which is not a problem at all bc you can grab a coffee or pastry from the little front bar and people watch. The noises and smells add to the ambiance. It's just lovely. We had a GREAT table in the bar- a big round booth and the coffee was great and food too! The egg breakfast was a fave by two in my party!! I will for sure b back- it's a beautiful restaurant and I want to try more food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hot spotLindsayDined on 9/5/2014You need reservations in advance but excellent rainbow trout dish - best I've ever had!Special Features:
- Great service but big mistakesCityGirlDined on 9/5/2014We ate at the bar on a late Friday afternoon when it wasn't busy. We enjoyed excellent service from TJ. He went above and beyond with us. Great drinks and great service! He sincerely cared about us as customers. I'd go back just to have him as a bartender. But food wasn't great. My chicken sandwich came out ice cold as if no one was looking to serve it. I asked for crispy bacon and it came out chewy. They were kind enough to take it off my bill. I asked for the English muffin burger instead which was a vast improvement but it didn't have avocado on it. The menu says it has avocado. didn't want to complain anymore. On a positive note, the fries that came out with the burger were super hot and crispy. Delicious!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer HousedebvDined on 9/4/2014Overall it was a good experience and I would go back and try it again. I loved the bar area and the glass ceiling. I did not like feeling rushed. A woman walked around with a small clipboard making notes (I suspect on where we were in our meal). This is uncomfortable and unnecessary and our whole party made comments.Special Features:
- Room more spectacular than foodKaraDined on 9/4/2014I was very excited to try Summer House as it appears to be the hot new spot. Wanted to see if the food stood up to the bright and pretty decor. Went early on a Thursday night with a friend. We each enjoyed a burger and split a shaved veggie salad. The burgers were excellent, salad not exciting or very flavorful. Server was friendly and helpful, allowed me to taste two wines before choosing one. The room is indeed beautiful and bright, a welcome standout among rustic/dark decor which seems to be overplayed. Suggestion for chef: Try harder. More organic/sustainable menu (Atlantic salmon? Come on! This is a terrible seafood product all around and NOT Californian. Front of the house: Loose the TVs and blaring mainstream music.Special Features:
- vm1220Dined on 9/2/2014The Service and Food was OUTSTANDING. Very nice wait staff and wonderful surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer House was a major failRottenDined on 9/1/2014I was really excited to dine at Summer House due to the wonderful photos on their website. I trusted the fact that it was a LEYE restaurant so I was confident it would be a delightful experience. What a disappointment! Service was absolutely NON-EXISTENT. Took over 15 minutes to be acknowledged and then we had to ask two additional times just for water. Orders were incorrect and server was just plain rude. Food was mediocre and I certainly wasn't wow'd by anything that was presented at our table like I have been at all the other LEYE restaurants I have dined at. Major major disappoinment. The only positive is it's incredibly cute with wonderful interior. Oh and nice bathrooms.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/1/2014I had high expectations and was willing to like it but experience was just ok. Service was poor not because they were rude but because they just looked very poorly trained. They were more lost than anything else...and everything took forever, although the restaurant was not full, at all. The food was also just ok. Eggs Benedict was mediocre, with poached egg overcooked twice and literally a drop of sauce (that was pretty good, actually). I had to ask twice for a little more. Coffee tasted good but was cold and cup was coffee-dirty. Hash browns were crispy on the outside but undercooked inside and the menu, overall, was pretty normal, nothing really interesting.Special Features:
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Really anticipated going here. We went on Sunday for brunch and honestly everything was just OK. Nothing special about any of the food and actually had to send something back to the kitchen because it was cold.Special Features:
- Casual Classy with Good FoodNancyVIPDined on 8/30/2014The specialty cocktails are fantastic. It is a casual place where you feel like you are sitting in an outdoor patio due to the glass ceiling. You have an option to order small plates (which we did) or individual meals. Each small plate we tried was delicious especially the calamari. If you don't have room for dessert, you can pick out a cookie from the treat case to take with you. The coffee from Dark Matter was delicious. Service was attentive & they have valet parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fun place w/ great food!JCBTDined on 8/30/2014Very fun place to take any friends or meet up with friends. I had two out of town guests and they loved it. Our wait staff was awesome - she did a great job at making things perfect including a picture taking and a special tasting between two bottles so we it would help us with our wine selection.Special Features:
- LOVE summerhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/28/2014Great ambiance, friendly wait staff - esp Brittany our gem of a waitress:). Love to that they keep the wine right near the tables vs having to have the server wait in line@ the bar...smart -!Special Features:
- Beautiful space, average foodlakeviewdinerVIPDined on 8/28/2014The space is beautiful. My friends and I thought it was over priced for the menu selections. I think you can get more for your money and more interesting dishes at many other places in the city. I've heard brunch here is good but I only experienced dinner here. Not sure that I would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer all yearlong @ Summer HouseYogamom88VIPDined on 8/28/2014Great LEY restaurant, bright and airy. My entire Family loves Summer House my teenage daughter loves the menu as I do and my husband like the fun cocktail list.Special Features:
- One FlawOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014Our server was very attentive. The only blips in service I believe would be attributed to a busy kitchen. A few of the side items were delivered quite a bit later than our main courses. Otherwise was very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer House DelightHappyDinerVIPDined on 8/24/2014This is a wonderful place for people watching. We had a difficult time deciding what to order; the menu was inviting and extensive. Definitely want to go back. The hash brown eggs Benedict was delicious and so were the Mexican eggs.Special Features:
- Great atmospheremdinerDined on 8/24/2014This is the 2nd time I've been to this restaurant. I came the 1st time for dinner and enjoyed that experience more than the recent brunch experience. I felt the food was just mediocre, not great for brunch.However, it's definitely a hot spot, judging by how many people were there both times I've been there for food. I've also been to the bar and restaurant attached to the space, and it was a good experience overall as well. I am definitely a foodie, and regularly try new restaurants in Chicago. I just don't feel like any of the food here stands out, compared to other places I've been to. I find the dishes lacking in flavor, which I'm sure is great for the average palate, I just prefer more complexity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014So delicious and great summery vibe! Must order the biscuits! And must have a cookie for dessert or on the way out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pass for BrunchCaraVIPDined on 8/24/2014Love the restaurant - it has beautiful decor and a nice open-air feel. Much better option for dinner than brunch though. The lemon ricotta pancakes were by far the highlight of brunch.Special Features:
- DiningirlVIPDined on 8/23/2014We will definitely return due to excellent food and pretty , open dining area . The front desk /service needs a lot of help. They seem unable to manage the check in a typical fashion .We arrived early for a 6pm reservation and were told I would receive a text of when our table would be ready . That time came and went while I saw comparable sized tables being seated upon arrival . I finally went back up to the front desk and the lady said our table was ready - there was never a text . Our waitress also was not attentive on any level , this was a birthday dinner and this was pointed out at check in . But our order was wonderful - the artichoke dip , roasted cauliflower and veggie salad to start with various entrees that were perfect!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California FeelDoBuDined on 8/23/2014Such a great departure from dark and stuffy. Food was great. Loved the Lobster pasta and the warm biscuits are worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this place :)NORNVIPDined on 8/23/2014Atmosphere is fantastic...love Vitamin D room. Great menu, tasty food, perfect portion sizes. Service was a bit slow, but it was very busy. The chocolate chip cookies with rice crispy treats on top...oh my goodness - SO delicious. Thank you for a wonderful Saturday afternoon lunch experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer HouseAgnes04VIPDined on 8/22/2014Great ambiance...OK service...just OK food. Try the tuna tostada or any salad. Skip the fish tacos (you have to make them yourself). Skip the lobster orecchiette (the pasta is not orecchiette...no truffle flavor). I'd go back to try the Stella Barra pizza.Special Features:
- bad choicetinyDined on 8/22/2014I have been to Sunnerhouse 4 times recently - both with friends for lunch and a business dinner.Loved the trout, lobster pasta, salmon over shaved salad, chicken sandwitch. This time with friends ordered the Cobb salad. It came in a huge bowl filled to about 1/4 full - way too small for an entre salad, mostly a few Boston lettuce leaves and a few avocado pieces. Very disappointed in the Cobb salad - should have sent it back! My entre of a Chicken sandwitch was giant compared to the wimpy CobbSpecial Features: