1954 N Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.summerhousesm.com/
- Phone: 7736344100x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Friday 11:00am-4:00pm
BRUNCH: Saturdays & Sundays 8:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Mahin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: To inquire about private parties or off-premise catering, please call our Sales & Special Events Department at (773) 634-4100.
- Special Events: To inquire about private parties or off-premise catering, please call our Sales & Special Events Department at (773) 634-4100.
A word from Summer House
The California-influenced, American restaurant features a wood-fire grill as its centerpiece and will dish out an ever-changing menu that spotlights locally-sourced produce & ingredients whenever possible. In addition to simply prepared proteins and a large selection of market vegetables, Summer House Santa Monica also boasts Chef Mahin’s signature artisanal bread program, an extensive wine list, fresh-squeezed juices and a wide array of pastry & sweets. Seeking to make diners feel at-home, the restaurant has been designed to evoke the atmosphere of a summer beach house with whitewashed woods, warm tones and a large glass ceiling positioned directly over the dining room that brings the outside in no matter what the season. An open kitchen outfitted in earth-toned tiling and a five-foot, wood-fire grill that emulates a home hearth further fosters the comfortable atmosphere.Continued
Now open for Lunch on Fridays from 11am-4pm and Saturdays & Sundays for our weekend Brunch 8am-3pm!
Now open for Lunch on Fridays from 11am-4pm and Saturdays & Sundays for our weekend Brunch 8am-3pm!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Summer House - Best Restaurants in Lincoln Park ›
Summer House reviews from OpenTable diners
505 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (284)neighborhood gem (264)fit for foodies (213)great for brunch (204)great for outdoor dining (196)good for groups (195)special occasion (143)great for lunch (135)vibrant bar scene (72)kid-friendly (64)romantic (56)notable wine list (46)scenic view (37)late-night find (17)Show More
- Cold FoodRavenswoodLisaDined on 9/28/2014First time I had brunch at Summer House I loved it. The candied bacon is amazing. I went back 2 weeks later and it was a completely different experience. Everything we ordered was cold. Cold eggs are gross! The bacon was still delicious yet we received a smaller portion than the time before. Only 3 pieces instead of 4. Not sure if we lucked out the first time or we're shorted the second. Great atmosphere but I can't recommend again because of the cold food.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We had an outside table on a beautiful Saturday evening and it was just a perfect experience. The hostess was sweet and charming, the waitress was excellent and the food was wonderful. I look forward to going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImprovedjbridgeVIPDined on 9/27/2014Last time I visited here for dinner, I had some issues with my food being undercooked/dried out. This time, things looked and tasted much better though we didn't try the same entrees as last time. I hardly ever order spin dip but it sounded amazing and didn't disappoint, although I think the portion seemed a bit smaller than other places. Our group ordered a couple burgers, the ahi tuna, cauliflower and I had the 1/2 chicken. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals and the cauliflower was a surprising hit with a few skeptics. The 1/2 chicken was delicious when mixed with the garlic kale and mashed potatoes but I have to say the chicken itself was bland...and the kale was overly oily. The cocktails were great and service was friendly.Special Features:
- Cool vibe amazing cookiesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/27/2014I went for brunch. Perfectly seasoned egg white omelet. cool vibe lots of groups. Do not miss out on the cookies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAdamDined on 9/27/2014Food was awesome. Place was cool. Server was incredible. Loved it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not GreatfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014We loved the ambiance and vibe at summer house. The highlight was the tuna tostadas. Fish tacos were just OK. Mahi Mahi was overcooked and luke warm. The sea salt cookie was the best cookie ever. We will be back.Special Features:
- Phenomenal dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/26/2014The waitstaff was super friendly and took great care of us all night. We had a decent size group and ordered just about every appetizer on the menu. TJ, the GM, was at the restaurant and came by to ensure everything was up to par. He explained how all of his chef's are at the restaurant by 8am to start prepping for dinner. After dinner we could not stop talking about the whole experience. Great atmosphere, great food and awesome service. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Not as good this timeLPboyVIPDined on 9/26/2014I've been to Summer House twice before and truly enjoyed my experience (especially the food). This time, the pasta/squash special was very bland. When something is a "special", you expect to be wowed. This was a disappointing dish. That said, our other food was very tasty and we will certainly give them another shot. Hopefully, we don't see a trend of decreasing quality.Special Features:
- Nice Lunch Spot with PotentialDowntoEarthFoodyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Summer House was perfect for our Annual Girls' Lunch. Great summery, foody menu, nice ocean atmosphere vibe, etc. The service was spotty. Just too busy and staff not all trained. We were enjoying cocktails and a nice appetizer and weren't even halfway done and 10 minutes into eating it and all our entrees came. The server clearly was just delivering food and moving us along. That was quite disappointing. This restaurant has so much potential, but management needs to get service under control. I had even mentioned to the wonderful host that I read poor reviews on open table about this. He said they only looked at Yelp reviews. We even made a few comments to our server about slowing the service down, but she couldn't be bothered.Special Features:
- Not up to standard this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/24/2014Service was poor--very slow. Ironically the server had a trainee. The appetizers came well after the salads--which were our main course. The salads were wilted by the time we ate them. I have had good experiences here before but not on this trip. The whole dinner was about trying to flag down the waiter.
- Neighborhood GemSBC35Dined on 9/24/2014Close to home, great food, great service, and even better dessert!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Came for a going away / farewell dinner for a best friend. The food was great! (lobster orichette) and Our server was amazing! ...Special Features:
- Great food but terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014The food at Summer House was good. Not great, but good. The service though was slow and painful and dirty dishes sat on our table for 20 minutes after we finished eating.Special Features:
- Not a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014one server brought drinks and told our regular server be over shortly. She arrived with 3x the drinks. Took food order and arrived, needed to ask several busboys to remove dishes, bring plates, silverware, napkins - since we were in the center of the room no one come over. Server finally left dessert menu never returned take order - there 2 hours with a 2.5 year old. Ridiculous! I finally got up and asked desk for help - needed more dishes removed, need dessert order taken. The manager arrived, took order, never saw the server again. Just a bad experience after such a great one week before. The leftovers were brought to table without a bag to carry them out and when trying to open them to heat and eat the plastic splits apart - dangerous.
- The food and coffee was cold.NeighborDined on 9/21/2014The English muffin burnt, poached eggs over cooked. Not presented well.Special Features:
- BrunchMellymelVIPDined on 9/21/2014Was great. Restaurant is very accommodating with children. Great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service. Food lateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Terrible service and food cold or ice cream melted by the time it reached us. Food being cleared dumped on friend. Ordered food never arrived. Overrated. Not a fine dining experience. Just a fun bar sceneSpecial Features:
- dinneroutVIPDined on 9/20/2014Their hospitality is remarkable. Enjoy different atmosphere and design and the food is great. Menu choices offer good variety. Best calamari in Chicago!Special Features:
- Poor Service in waiting....abernathyVIPDined on 9/20/2014staff was horrible .....long wait times and never any available reservation...it's sad because the food, location & ambiance were really great, but the staff needs work. We waited two hours for seating and there wasn't anywhere to actually wait and then when we were seated it took out waitress almost thirty minutes to come to our table and give us water. Then we witnessed a couple of the wait staff in the restrooms and they didn't even wash their hands before going back out to service their tables.....
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/18/2014Made reservations two weeks in advance but still had to wait for a table. Hostess was not friendly or welcoming. Waited several minutes for waitress to come to the table. Also not very friendly or welcoming. Food was ok but really nothing special for the price. Waitress forgot to bring a drink to the table and although she offered to give us a dessert to make up for it she never came back with a dessert menu. We saw her on the way out and she never said a word but rushed over to the table to pick up our check. We always like to try new places but I feel this place will not remain popular unless they improve their service and the quality of their food. Won't be back though; too many other good places with better food and service.
- Ambiance great, food so-soChicagoRNVIPDined on 9/15/2014Celebrated birthday dinner at Summer House. Ordered the 1/2 roast chicken. Other guests ordered the steak frites and salmon. Prices are high for what you get; food is ordinary. I liked the ambiance though. Very bright inside, felt like I was in the west coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good and badOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014I've been here multiple times and have never had such poor service. My family came down for dinner and we sat at the table for 15 minutes without someone coming to fill our waters or take our drink order. I actually had to wave someone over. Mind you it was also 4:15 and empty. So someone comes over apologizes for the transition between brunch/din. And takes our drink and app order. Finally a server brings out our apps. Then a new waiter comes and doesn't even introduce himself or say if he is our waiter, and takes our order after we were done w/ apps. They're lucky the food was good, and they also knocked the apps off of our bill. Still somewhat dissappinited- I raved to my family how great this place was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service and mediocre foodBetterDined on 9/14/2014The service was terrible and the food was way overpriced! $24 for fish tacos???!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchET312Dined on 9/13/2014Berry Waffles and Hash Brown Eggs Benedict were amazing!Special Features:
- I'll definitely be backOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014I can't wait to go back to Summer House Santa Monica! We started with one the specials, the Negiri, which was melt in your mouth delicious. The cocktail of choice for us was Palm Fizz. It came with an entire tree branch of Rosemary. For dinner, my friend and I shared two of the entrees, the skirt steak, which we loved, and one of the wheat pasta dishes, which was our least favorite dish. We followed dinner up with a S'mores cookie and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. We left very full and satisfied!Special Features:
- LrapsVIPDined on 9/11/2014Great service. Stopped for lunch. My husband said it's the be burger he had in years. Lettuce hits the mark on all counts again.Special Features:
- Really great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2014love the place. love the vitamin d room. love the food and ambiance. and the service was really great. when we finished with one appetizer, they bruoght out the next. they timed it well. enough time between courses to digest. didnt feel overwhelmed with all the dishes.Special Features:
- Pricey but a Great AtmosphereDanielleDined on 9/9/2014Overall a nice dinner out. Food was good. Service was pleasant and the ambiance was great. Only complaint is the pricing; definitely too high for what you're getting.Special Features:
- Loved It!! Great food and servicebrecitaVIPDined on 9/8/2014Our waiter CHRIS was amazing Food was great and menu was fabulous!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot-on AmbienceBucciBergeronDined on 9/8/2014Need a Santa Monica fix? Head to SHSM for a soothing laid-back scene. You'll miss the beach but the eclectic menu, soothing white hues and the cocktails will make up for it. Loved the Fluke Ceviche served on lettuce leaves and the cauliflower was outstanding, as was everything we ordered. Great during the day and as the sun goes down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California in ChicagoDebis03VIPDined on 9/7/2014The restaurant is beautiful I felt like we were eating at Shutters in Santa Monica. Comfy bench seating and light airy decor added to the beach feel decor. The food was good, but the appetizer portions were tiny and pricey for their size. The entrees were good size at average Lettuce prices. Attentive service.Unbelievable desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for when family visitsnatcatDined on 9/7/2014I'm in college at DePaul and we go to Summer House every time my family comes to town. Great food, Great dining outside, and a very fresh menu.Special Features:
- Not wowed.DeenaDined on 9/7/2014Cold food, burnt coffee, why so much hype? I feel like it's pretty ridiculous that people will wait in line for such awful food. Dining room has a lot of sun light...walls are bare with tasteless sayings. Overall will not be going back. Big disappointment since I really love most Lettuce restaurants.Special Features:
- Amazing Gluten Free BruncheantonucciDined on 9/7/2014We came here with my parents after my sister and I ran the Chicago Half Marathon. It was such a great choice. The gluten free pastries were delicious. I love that there were so many options available to me as a gluten free diner. The eggs benedict looked so good, my dad had the pancakes and said they were the best he's ever eaten. If you love bacon you will love theirs. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BrunchlocalsDined on 9/7/2014I had only been to Summer House for dinner but I'd say I enjoyed my brunch meal there better. First off, it was a gorgeous morning and it was awesome eating in there with the roof open and wearing sunglasses, it felt like you were on a sun patio. Two of us got the tostadas and they were unbelievable. The cocktails were great, we got a mix of mimosas and bloody Mary's. Another person got the breakfast sandwich with sausage and spicy mayo, which was great as well. Overall, one of the best brunch spots in Lincoln Park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sand between your toesGreatVIPDined on 9/6/2014Like you were in Santa Barbara less the beach. Light fresh ingredients, great atmosphere. Some items a little pricey. Worth a visit. Great cookies for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT for Brunch on the weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/6/2014What a fun and vibrant brunch spot! We had a reservation but it was so busy we had to wait a bit which is not a problem at all bc you can grab a coffee or pastry from the little front bar and people watch. The noises and smells add to the ambiance. It's just lovely. We had a GREAT table in the bar- a big round booth and the coffee was great and food too! The egg breakfast was a fave by two in my party!! I will for sure b back- it's a beautiful restaurant and I want to try more food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hot spotLindsayDined on 9/5/2014You need reservations in advance but excellent rainbow trout dish - best I've ever had!Special Features:
- Great service but big mistakesCityGirlDined on 9/5/2014We ate at the bar on a late Friday afternoon when it wasn't busy. We enjoyed excellent service from TJ. He went above and beyond with us. Great drinks and great service! He sincerely cared about us as customers. I'd go back just to have him as a bartender. But food wasn't great. My chicken sandwich came out ice cold as if no one was looking to serve it. I asked for crispy bacon and it came out chewy. They were kind enough to take it off my bill. I asked for the English muffin burger instead which was a vast improvement but it didn't have avocado on it. The menu says it has avocado. didn't want to complain anymore. On a positive note, the fries that came out with the burger were super hot and crispy. Delicious!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer HousedebvDined on 9/4/2014Overall it was a good experience and I would go back and try it again. I loved the bar area and the glass ceiling. I did not like feeling rushed. A woman walked around with a small clipboard making notes (I suspect on where we were in our meal). This is uncomfortable and unnecessary and our whole party made comments.Special Features: