1954 N Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.summerhousesm.com/
- Phone: 7736344100x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Thursdays & Fridays 11:00am-4:00pm
BRUNCH: Saturdays & Sundays 8:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Mahin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Located in the heart of Lincoln Park, Summer House features a menu that spotlights locally sourced produce & ingredients.
Accommodating parties of 10-250 guests, Summer House exudes an atmosphere perfect for weddings / receptions, bridal & baby showers, family gatherings, birthdays, daytime lunches, corporate events & more! Summer House also offers large cookie/bakery orders, perfect for when you want to host events at home & offer a special treat for your guests!
To inquire about private parties or off-premise catering, call our Catering Department at (773) 634-4100.
- Special Events: To inquire about private parties or off-premise catering, please call our Sales & Special Events Department at (773) 634-4100.
A word from Summer House
The California-influenced, American restaurant features a wood-fire grill as its centerpiece and will dish out an ever-changing menu that spotlights locally-sourced produce & ingredients whenever possible. In addition to simply prepared proteins and a large selection of market vegetables, Summer House also boasts Chef Mahin’s signature artisanal bread program, an extensive wine list, fresh-squeezed juices and a wide array of pastry & sweets. Seeking to make diners feel at-home, the restaurant has been designed to evoke the atmosphere of a summer beach house with whitewashed woods, warm tones and a large glass ceiling positioned directly over the dining room that brings the outside in no matter what the season. An open kitchen outfitted in earth-toned tiling and a five-foot, wood-fire grill that emulates a home hearth further fosters the comfortable atmosphere.Continued
Now open for Lunch on Thursdays and Fridays from 11am-4pm and Saturdays & Sundays for our weekend Brunch 8am-3pm!
Now open for Lunch on Thursdays and Fridays from 11am-4pm and Saturdays & Sundays for our weekend Brunch 8am-3pm!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Summer House - Best Restaurants in Lincoln Park ›
Summer House reviews from OpenTable diners
504 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (286)neighborhood gem (266)fit for foodies (224)good for groups (200)great for brunch (198)great for outdoor dining (185)great for lunch (140)special occasion (133)vibrant bar scene (77)kid-friendly (65)romantic (55)notable wine list (46)scenic view (31)late-night find (15)Show More
- All buzzOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014I went to Summer House because I heard all these great things about it. It's a cute place, service was good but the food was not impressive. I had the garden enchiladas and my partner had the 14 oz steak. They both lacked flavor. Not sure if I would come back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014Hot spot....fun atmosphere.....and GREAT service. The menu selection and food was very good...most comfortableSpecial Features:
- Lively place with creative foodChicagoladyDined on 10/19/2014We went to Summer Place for Sunday brunch before going to Steppenwolf for a 3 PM play. There is a buzz to the place that makes it a fun place to go. The food was quite good. I had the grilled fish sandwich (mahi mahi) with a side salad, which was also tasty. My friend had a Cobb salad, and ordered a side of bread. As a Steppenwolf subscriber, (with our subscriber card) we got one free dessert, a chocolate chip cooks with ice cream. Delicious, and generous enough to share. We enjoyed this place, and will return for a special occasion. It is a bit pricey for regular occasions.Special Features:
- Felt Like I was on VacationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I live in Chicago, and I felt like I was somewhere else. It was great. The only thing I had a little trouble with was the coffee. It was very heavy and dark, the last time I had coffee here didn't seem as strong. But the food was great. We took our son and his girlfriend for their frist experience at Summer House and they enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Even with a reservation that was made over a month in advance, we had to wait over an hour to be seated. The hostess was not very friendly at all. There were many tables that were done--no food or drinks, the tables had been cleared-- and people were just sitting there. We were given a taste of the sushi as a result of our wait. While the ambiance of the restaurant was wonderful, I would seriously think twice before coming back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/16/2014We decided to try this fun hot spot for my daughters 17th birthday dinner. From the moment we walked in, we were in love! The ladies at the front reception area were VERY nice and accommodating and put us in a fun booth. The decor was very pretty and our waiter was very attentive and knowledgable about the menu. He even brought my daughter a wonderful cookie with ice cream and candle as a surprise. The food was all very yummy and even my picky 13 year old son LOVED his grilled cheese off the kids menu. We loved the biscuits and brussel sprouts and entree salad and roasted chicken. This is a great place for everyone! A MUST!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Visit Not As Great - Meh Placechicago88Dined on 10/13/2014Summer House was decent but after a second visit I felt it was not particularly special. I don't think I would care to visit again, I think I would consider visiting again if someone else was covering the bill but only after exhausting other options. The food was okay, not cheap, though not breaking the bank expensive either. My portions were fair but one of my friend's dish was very sad looking. I was a bit puzzled by the differences in portion sizes for similar dishes. Deliciousness to cost was definitely lacking. As far as service, we were seated promptly and our server was very friendly and on point with everything. I love the space and the atmosphere overall.
- GREAT PLACE TO EATMarathonRewardDined on 10/12/2014Love the food, the place !!! Everything was fantasticSpecial Features:
- Très FormidablejujumonarchDined on 10/12/2014This resto's decor is beautifully put together. From the moment you come in you are swept away to California. Very friendly staff and the menu caters to all health regimes - I dare say. The zero coolers burst with awesome flavors and the melt in your mouth house biscuits are the best I have ever had. After a while of being in the vitamin D room with all that natural light and aroma coming from the open kitchen will make you forget that your in Chicago. Nothing pretentious, just wholesome food made with great ingredients and flavor. Love it even more because I don't have to take a trip to downtown for such a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014We LOVED the Summer House. The atmosphere, bar, calamari, Prime rib French dip, and apple French toast dessert especially were out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's all the hype?LK2013VIPDined on 10/11/2014We love Lettuce Resturaunts but this one....we wouldn't go back. We had to wait a month and a half to get a reservation (on Open Table). The menu is not focused. The prices food prices are fine but the wine by the glass is too high for what they serve. Everyone at the table said their food choice was just "meh". I loved the look of the place, and that is part of the fun, but ultimately it's loud, crowded with not very good food. I could go to so many better places, many of them would be Lettuce, I can't understand the hype.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/11/2014Summer House was okay but I felt it was not particularly special and would not go back. The food was good and, although not cheap, not expensive either. But it didn't wow me. (However, my server was excellent). It was Saturday night and they seemed stressed about staying on top of things. Someone broke a glass next to our table and the folks sitting at that table left shortly afterward. The glass was not totally cleaned up and that table was not cleared and cleaned for quite a while. Certainly for the length of one course which ruined the ambiance. Such as it was. This is a young person's restaurant. I loved the southern Cal. atmosphere but didn't get to experience it since we given a table in the front window out of the way.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/11/2014Our family likes the restaurant very much and the bakery! It was a little chilly in the restaurant on Saturday and many patrons had coats on.Special Features:
- Great placeAPOTDined on 10/8/2014We met another couple there for dinner so we shared lots of things. The biscuits are to die for and the veggies are delicious as well, especially the carmelized brussels sprouts. Our entrees were good but honestly not as spectacular as the rest. We had halibut and shrimp tacos. The cookies and ice cream for dessert were amazing too. I will be going back to try more menu items!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ItfoodieDined on 10/4/2014Atmosphere was great, felt like I was in sunny California. Food, delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/4/2014Waiter seemed very uninterested and not friendly or very accomodating.Special Features:
- Great Ambiance!Beauty1mark24Dined on 10/3/2014Summerhouse is now one of my favorite restaurants. I love American cuisine so this right up my alley. I love Summerhouse even more, because you feel as if you're in another part of the world. Great food, people, and an ambiance that is like no other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maybe they had an off nightengussnowhiteVIPDined on 10/2/2014Third time there, always was solid. Arrived 30 minutes late (930) on a Thursday and although the place was half full the person answering the phone made it sound like we lost our spot and dinner would be in doubt but they would "do their best" to seat us when we arrived. The soup was more cold than hot and when we sent it back they simply nuked it!!!! Seriously? Bad service besides, we won't be back.Special Features:
- Summer House is a must tryLuckygirlChicago2013VIPDined on 9/29/2014While I've eaten at Summer House several times this week I stopped in for wine and appetizers with a close friend. We decided to stay at the bar vs a table and enjoyed every minute. The burrata with tomato jam and tuna tostadas are both delicious. Paired with a nice Italian red blend made for a great snack. The decor is light (literally white) and airy. We went there because it was 80 degrees during the day and we wanted an "outdoor" spot. Luckily Summer House is just as inviting during a 50 degree night! brr The bar area is a little cramped with oversized chairs and large high tops close by but it is still vibrant and fun!Special Features:
- Cold FoodRavenswoodLisaDined on 9/28/2014First time I had brunch at Summer House I loved it. The candied bacon is amazing. I went back 2 weeks later and it was a completely different experience. Everything we ordered was cold. Cold eggs are gross! The bacon was still delicious yet we received a smaller portion than the time before. Only 3 pieces instead of 4. Not sure if we lucked out the first time or we're shorted the second. Great atmosphere but I can't recommend again because of the cold food.Special Features:
- Not impressedTaram28Dined on 9/28/2014The service and food were both mediocre. The overall decor was great. I dined there for breakfast, so I am hoping to get back to try a dinner there. Breakfast was a total miss.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We had an outside table on a beautiful Saturday evening and it was just a perfect experience. The hostess was sweet and charming, the waitress was excellent and the food was wonderful. I look forward to going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImprovedjbridgeVIPDined on 9/27/2014Last time I visited here for dinner, I had some issues with my food being undercooked/dried out. This time, things looked and tasted much better though we didn't try the same entrees as last time. I hardly ever order spin dip but it sounded amazing and didn't disappoint, although I think the portion seemed a bit smaller than other places. Our group ordered a couple burgers, the ahi tuna, cauliflower and I had the 1/2 chicken. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals and the cauliflower was a surprising hit with a few skeptics. The 1/2 chicken was delicious when mixed with the garlic kale and mashed potatoes but I have to say the chicken itself was bland...and the kale was overly oily. The cocktails were great and service was friendly.Special Features:
- Cool vibe amazing cookiesJessaBVIPDined on 9/27/2014I went for brunch. Perfectly seasoned egg white omelet. cool vibe lots of groups. Do not miss out on the cookies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAdamDined on 9/27/2014Food was awesome. Place was cool. Server was incredible. Loved it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not GreatfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014We loved the ambiance and vibe at summer house. The highlight was the tuna tostadas. Fish tacos were just OK. Mahi Mahi was overcooked and luke warm. The sea salt cookie was the best cookie ever. We will be back.Special Features:
- Phenomenal dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/26/2014The waitstaff was super friendly and took great care of us all night. We had a decent size group and ordered just about every appetizer on the menu. TJ, the GM, was at the restaurant and came by to ensure everything was up to par. He explained how all of his chef's are at the restaurant by 8am to start prepping for dinner. After dinner we could not stop talking about the whole experience. Great atmosphere, great food and awesome service. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Not as good this timeLPboyVIPDined on 9/26/2014I've been to Summer House twice before and truly enjoyed my experience (especially the food). This time, the pasta/squash special was very bland. When something is a "special", you expect to be wowed. This was a disappointing dish. That said, our other food was very tasty and we will certainly give them another shot. Hopefully, we don't see a trend of decreasing quality.Special Features:
- Nice Lunch Spot with PotentialDowntoEarthFoodyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Summer House was perfect for our Annual Girls' Lunch. Great summery, foody menu, nice ocean atmosphere vibe, etc. The service was spotty. Just too busy and staff not all trained. We were enjoying cocktails and a nice appetizer and weren't even halfway done and 10 minutes into eating it and all our entrees came. The server clearly was just delivering food and moving us along. That was quite disappointing. This restaurant has so much potential, but management needs to get service under control. I had even mentioned to the wonderful host that I read poor reviews on open table about this. He said they only looked at Yelp reviews. We even made a few comments to our server about slowing the service down, but she couldn't be bothered.Special Features:
- best gluten free. celiac approveddiningoutwithallergiesDined on 9/25/2014Always a hit a former LEYE colleague and transplant to LA I love when I come back to visit coming here. French dip is great was a little salty last visit but still good.Special Features:
- Not up to standard this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/24/2014Service was poor--very slow. Ironically the server had a trainee. The appetizers came well after the salads--which were our main course. The salads were wilted by the time we ate them. I have had good experiences here before but not on this trip. The whole dinner was about trying to flag down the waiter.
- Neighborhood GemSBC35Dined on 9/24/2014Close to home, great food, great service, and even better dessert!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Came for a going away / farewell dinner for a best friend. The food was great! (lobster orichette) and Our server was amazing! ...Special Features:
- Great food but terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014The food at Summer House was good. Not great, but good. The service though was slow and painful and dirty dishes sat on our table for 20 minutes after we finished eating.Special Features:
- Not a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014one server brought drinks and told our regular server be over shortly. She arrived with 3x the drinks. Took food order and arrived, needed to ask several busboys to remove dishes, bring plates, silverware, napkins - since we were in the center of the room no one come over. Server finally left dessert menu never returned take order - there 2 hours with a 2.5 year old. Ridiculous! I finally got up and asked desk for help - needed more dishes removed, need dessert order taken. The manager arrived, took order, never saw the server again. Just a bad experience after such a great one week before. The leftovers were brought to table without a bag to carry them out and when trying to open them to heat and eat the plastic splits apart - dangerous.
- The food and coffee was cold.NeighborDined on 9/21/2014The English muffin burnt, poached eggs over cooked. Not presented well.Special Features:
- BrunchMellymelVIPDined on 9/21/2014Was great. Restaurant is very accommodating with children. Great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service. Food lateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Terrible service and food cold or ice cream melted by the time it reached us. Food being cleared dumped on friend. Ordered food never arrived. Overrated. Not a fine dining experience. Just a fun bar sceneSpecial Features:
- dinneroutVIPDined on 9/20/2014Their hospitality is remarkable. Enjoy different atmosphere and design and the food is great. Menu choices offer good variety. Best calamari in Chicago!Special Features:
- Poor Service in waiting....abernathyVIPDined on 9/20/2014staff was horrible .....long wait times and never any available reservation...it's sad because the food, location & ambiance were really great, but the staff needs work. We waited two hours for seating and there wasn't anywhere to actually wait and then when we were seated it took out waitress almost thirty minutes to come to our table and give us water. Then we witnessed a couple of the wait staff in the restrooms and they didn't even wash their hands before going back out to service their tables.....