1954 N Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.summerhousesm.com/
- Phone: (773) 634-4100
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Thursdays & Fridays 11:00am-4:00pm
BRUNCH: Saturdays & Sundays 8:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Mahin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Located in the heart of Lincoln Park, Summer House features a menu that spotlights locally sourced produce & ingredients.
Accommodating parties of 10-250 guests, Summer House exudes an atmosphere perfect for weddings / receptions, bridal & baby showers, family gatherings, birthdays, daytime lunches, corporate events & more! Summer House also offers large cookie/bakery orders, perfect for when you want to host events at home & offer a special treat for your guests!
To inquire about private parties or off-premise catering, call our Catering Department at (773) 634-4100.
- Special Events: To inquire about private parties or off-premise catering, please call our Sales & Special Events Department at (773) 634-4100.
A word from Summer House
The California-influenced, American restaurant features a wood-fire grill as its centerpiece and will dish out an ever-changing menu that spotlights locally-sourced produce & ingredients whenever possible. In addition to simply prepared proteins and a large selection of market vegetables, Summer House also boasts Chef Mahin’s signature artisanal bread program, an extensive wine list, fresh-squeezed juices and a wide array of pastry & sweets. Seeking to make diners feel at-home, the restaurant has been designed to evoke the atmosphere of a summer beach house with whitewashed woods, warm tones and a large glass ceiling positioned directly over the dining room that brings the outside in no matter what the season. An open kitchen outfitted in earth-toned tiling and a five-foot, wood-fire grill that emulates a home hearth further fosters the comfortable atmosphere.Continued
Now open for Lunch on Thursdays and Fridays from 11am-4pm and Saturdays & Sundays for our weekend Brunch 8am-3pm!
Now open for Lunch on Thursdays and Fridays from 11am-4pm and Saturdays & Sundays for our weekend Brunch 8am-3pm!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Summer House - Best Restaurants in Lincoln Park ›
Summer House reviews from OpenTable diners
490 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (275)neighborhood gem (239)fit for foodies (218)good for groups (189)great for brunch (177)great for outdoor dining (144)great for lunch (124)special occasion (117)vibrant bar scene (76)kid-friendly (68)romantic (51)notable wine list (40)scenic view (25)late-night find (14)Show More
- ReneeDined on 11/22/2014The atmosphere was great, well decorated. Food was amazing, friendly service and a free dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findKimHoVIPDined on 11/22/2014i would recommend this restaurant to everyone. I have only eaten brunch here, but I can tell by that, that this is a good restaurant. Food was exceptional. Service was great and the ambiance is very unusual in this neck of the woods. It makes you feel like summer. Hence the name I suppose!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sisters bday celebration!HennyPDined on 11/21/2014We went here for my sister's bday lunch celebration and we could not have picked a better restaurant. The ambience was perfect, the restaurant was beautiful, the wine was the best choice we had enjoyed in awhile and the food was amazing! Our server was so sweet and even brought my sister a bday dessert despite us trying to not draw attention to the day. We cannot recommend this enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service left to be desired...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/19/2014I was very much looking forward to a reservation at Summer House that I booked several weeks in advance. Not only did I have to wait over 30 mins before I was seated for my reservation, when we were brought to the table we were told to stand and wait because the table hadn't been cleaned off yet. If the restaurant is going to make me wait over half an hour for a reservation made weeks in advance, I don't see why they couldn't have had the table cleared in that time or just had me wait another 2 mins. Food was great, but overall not impressed with service at all. Expected better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, hefty price tag, always lateOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/19/2014I've been here a few times with my wife since they opened. The food is tasty, but not cheap. My biggest issue is that they have never been on time with our reservations. Every time, they say something like "we're running a bit behind, go grab a drink at the bar and we'll text when ready." Last night, we waited 35 minutes from our original reservation time to be seated at a table. The management should get this worked out - I will not return or recommend to friends until this is in check. If I make a reservation, I expect to be seated around that time. I don't expect to have to kill 30 minutes at the bar, buying expensive drinks.Special Features:
- YumSooooDined on 11/17/2014Great dinner spot to meet friends. The made to order biscuits are yummy! Can't wait to try it in the summer when the roof opens!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- summer houseljaneDined on 11/16/2014i love summer house because of the light, fresh feel. the food is great. i've had some issues with the service by the hostess in the past but this visit they were friendly and had our table ready right at the time of our reso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerloverVIPDined on 11/16/2014so yummy for breakfast every time. We usually split one of their delicious pancakes and get another entree. I love the tostadas. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't get too big for your britchesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/14/2014Summer House is a great neighborhood restaurant, and one Lincoln Park desperately needed. It's gotten very popular - happy for them. I would say too many reservations were taken for the evening we went - waited a long time for the table (granted it was partially our fault for being late, but still a long wait.) The food was not very good this time. My halibut was over cooked and dry, the guacamole didn't have much flavor (the salsa was better then the guac), and the food just tasted average - as if the kitchen could not do the same quality out put because there were simply too many tables to service. It felt like we should be grateful we actually got in to Summer House and we should just be happy with whatever we get - seemed to be the attitude of the night. Not good. I hope they do some improvements so it's less a trendy restaurant and just a really good restaurant with a wonderful ambiance and quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible night!OutstandingDined on 11/11/2014The food was amazing, the wine was delicious and the service was fantastic! Started with guacamole and burrata. The burrata was so creamy and the bread was baked so perfectly. Everyone at the table got a different entree: fish tacos, chicken tacos, rainbow trout and lobster orecchiette, I tried a bit of each and my dish was the handmade pasta. It was out of this world amazing! Lobster and truffle pasta that was still light. I would recommend it to anyone. Our waitress was also so sweet and gave us recommendations as well as remained attentive the whole meal. At the end of the meal she even gave me a free dessert from the bakery, as I was there to celebrate my birthday. I will be going back as soon as the opportunity arises!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014Great service. Impeccable food. Top Notch. Pricey but good.Special Features:
- Alleat0talkDined on 11/9/2014Service good, food good, noise horrible, definitely conversation challenged! If we recommend, we'll add this caveat. But, then, we're not 20 anymore!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencebretwDined on 11/8/2014Parents were in town and I wanted a restaurant that would impress without them feeling out of place. Amazing room, great food, and kind/welcoming service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great atmosphere!KimberlyVIPDined on 11/5/2014The light interior really does make you feel like you got away to somewhere warm and tropical. Great place to go to cheer up and have a delicious meal during a Chicago winter! The garlic kale and mashed potatoes that come with the roasted chicken are to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceMarcoDined on 11/5/2014What fell a little short on the food was outdone and completely made up for by the service. Our server just had a really warm and welcoming presence. I really felt like she went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable and satisfied with our dining experience especially because we were celebrating our anniversary. I'd definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!Born2brunchDined on 11/5/2014I've been here a couple of times now and I have yet to be disappointed. Even when there's been layers of snow on the ground and the temperature outside is freezing the minute you walk inside Summer House you immediately forget about it all. This is majorly due to their west coast feel and ambiance. The items on the menu are well rounded and delicious and I find them all perfect for sharing. If you haven't tried their calamari then that's a must (trust me, you'll know what I'm talking about once you do). The service has always been great too. I've never had to wait too long to be seated and the waiters have always been helpful with menu selections and also attentive. Shelby waited on my friend and I last time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thanksFattyFattyNoFriendsDined on 11/5/2014Wonderful staff and ambiance. As a southern California girl, this restaurant made me feel at home!Special Features:
- SeasaidhVIPDined on 11/4/2014First time there, but I loved it. The decor is soft and warm. The calamari was good, the tuna tartar was amazing. I'd go back to try more items.Special Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014I absolutely love Summer House. I've been there three times and haven't had a bad experience yet. My favorite appetizers are the burrata and the calamari. So so good! I recommend the roasted cauliflower as well as the corn. For my entree's, i've had the steak frites which were great and the halibut which I highly recommend. The scenery inside the restaurant is very pleasant, not to mention the cookie bar! The only thing i've had there that wasn't that great were the biscuits. They actually are very good however, they were a little too crisp for my liking.Special Features:
- Slow service for brunch...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/2/2014Providing some feedback. Overall it was a nice experience, but the service was slow. Our server was great, but it took forever to get things (coffee refills, waiting for our check at the end was so long, ans even at the beginning to order a drink). I think he had too many tables/tasks or something. Love lettuce though, and love summerhouse (like my 10th visit). Thanks for listening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unknown meatChicagogalDined on 10/30/2014I had a concerning experience: my daughter ordered meatballs. They tasted and looked different. After asking the waiter, we were told they were chicken. But after further inquiry, we learned it was pork! We have dietary prohibitions against pork and felt alarmed that we ate it! A manager eventually made it to my table and apologized and offered to take that dish off the check and get dessert. (Which was took about 10 % off of my pricey bill). I am still distrought though that a restaurant would serve an unknown meat to a customer in this day of allergic and religious dietary restrictions. The small comp from the check seemed disproportionate to the effect that this had on the dining experience. Did not live up to LEY expectations.
- Lunch at Summer HouseChicagoSueDined on 10/30/2014Lunch was fun. Tuna tacos were delicious and not too heavy...but a bit expensive... The music was a tinge too loud... When I was seated they suggested it would be quieter in the darker bar area because there were so many kids... I asked to see the brighter room and realized that the few kids were not making any noise... but the music was pounding. However, my friend and I had a delightful time and were able to have a conversation... I would have preferred less volume on the music. (Not ear-splitting...just annoying noise level.) Friendly service and cheerful atmosphere.Special Features:
- Good not GreatEpicureanDined on 10/29/2014Every aspect of Summer House was good not great. The only negative I have to say about the restaurant is when we were seated, we were seated right next to the only other people in the restaurant. There were at least 40 open tables, and my party of two was seated next to a party of three that included a child. The food and service was good not great. The wine list was sub-par but acceptable. The custom cocktails were great. All-in-all, I would go back and give it another shot.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite New Spot!luv2eatDined on 10/29/2014Loved the decor and food at Summer House! It has become one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere, Mediocre FoodCECEMarieDined on 10/27/2014The atmosphere of the restaurant is great. I love the outfits the waiters wore and the dinning and bar setting were amazing. The drinks were great. I had the Palm Fizz, which was very tasty and gave me a slight buzz. We had the Fresh Burrata for an apatizer, which was to die for. Very fresh and a perfect dish to start with. I had the English Muffin Burger for my main course and it was good, but very sloppy. It kept falling apart while I was eating it and the fries were very salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zzzzDined on 10/26/2014Food was just OK. Fish taco was tasteless and the tomatillo sauce and diced tomatoes had no taste Service was a little weak. Cold coffee - twice. Living on Rich's history I guess.
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014Wonderful place. Food and drinks were great. Great wait staff and vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great summer houseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014The only complaint I have is that it was a tad chilly in there. Other than that, servers were very knowledgeable and reasonable. I say that in the sense of my gfs and I were having an early lunch. We asked for suggested from the sever as to how much to order to get a diverse but reasonable amount of food to split amongst us. She had great suggestions as well as we ordered the perfect amount. So rare given sometimes I've had servers in the past suggest over ordering for a high percentage of a tip. However this place is not one of those, great spot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteTMcDDined on 10/26/2014Fun people-watching, great food and beautiful scenery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place for brunch. Delicious!!NextDined on 10/26/2014Fun place with great brunch food. Loved open ceiling. Felt like we were eating outside. A very happening atmosphere. I would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CynthiaDined on 10/23/2014No complaints, very impressed, have eaten around the world and didn't expect much in Chicago but was pleasantly surprisedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisyfoodlover1Dined on 10/23/2014Noisy, nobody can hear you at your table, fillet steak was "hard" to chew.... don't understand the hustle around this restaurant.... Sorry !Special Features:
- ChicagoZDined on 10/22/2014After waiting 35 minutes after our reservation we had a good dinner (had to send back 1 of 3 dinners because it was overly salted- was giving a free glass of wine which was nice). The starters were great, the dinners were good and the cookie was very tasty. Seems as if all the prices have gone up over the last year and while the food is really good, not sure it's worth it. Will go back but it'll be a while.Special Features:
- Killer SpaceLettuceFanVIPDined on 10/22/2014I admit that while I don't hate the food at Summer House, the space is what keeps me coming back. It's a great place to take people because they inevitably ooo and ahh over the Hamptons beach house-esq decorating and the glass roof that soaks the dining room in sun if you go during the day. I've not had a bad meal here but the food is not the best Lettuce has to offer. Think more Wildfire then RPM. Decent wines and some imaginative coctails though.Special Features:
- All buzzseriouseatingDined on 10/19/2014I went to Summer House because I heard all these great things about it. It's a cute place, service was good but the food was not impressive. I had the garden enchiladas and my partner had the 14 oz steak. They both lacked flavor. Not sure if I would come back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014Hot spot....fun atmosphere.....and GREAT service. The menu selection and food was very good...most comfortableSpecial Features:
- Lively place with creative foodChicagoladyDined on 10/19/2014We went to Summer Place for Sunday brunch before going to Steppenwolf for a 3 PM play. There is a buzz to the place that makes it a fun place to go. The food was quite good. I had the grilled fish sandwich (mahi mahi) with a side salad, which was also tasty. My friend had a Cobb salad, and ordered a side of bread. As a Steppenwolf subscriber, (with our subscriber card) we got one free dessert, a chocolate chip cooks with ice cream. Delicious, and generous enough to share. We enjoyed this place, and will return for a special occasion. It is a bit pricey for regular occasions.Special Features:
- Felt Like I was on VacationChicagomycityDined on 10/18/2014I live in Chicago, and I felt like I was somewhere else. It was great. The only thing I had a little trouble with was the coffee. It was very heavy and dark, the last time I had coffee here didn't seem as strong. But the food was great. We took our son and his girlfriend for their frist experience at Summer House and they enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Even with a reservation that was made over a month in advance, we had to wait over an hour to be seated. The hostess was not very friendly at all. There were many tables that were done--no food or drinks, the tables had been cleared-- and people were just sitting there. We were given a taste of the sushi as a result of our wait. While the ambiance of the restaurant was wonderful, I would seriously think twice before coming back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/16/2014We decided to try this fun hot spot for my daughters 17th birthday dinner. From the moment we walked in, we were in love! The ladies at the front reception area were VERY nice and accommodating and put us in a fun booth. The decor was very pretty and our waiter was very attentive and knowledgable about the menu. He even brought my daughter a wonderful cookie with ice cream and candle as a surprise. The food was all very yummy and even my picky 13 year old son LOVED his grilled cheese off the kids menu. We loved the biscuits and brussel sprouts and entree salad and roasted chicken. This is a great place for everyone! A MUST!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.