4444 Lankershim Blvd
Toluca Lake, CA 91602Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.summercanteen.com/
- Phone: (818) 985-6611
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Vietnamese, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Summer Canteen
A unique blend of southeast Asian food from Vietnam, Thailand and Burma. We offer authentic dishes as well as some fusion with a twist. Great wine selections. Our beers are from craft breweries which are paired with delicious Asian appetizers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Summer Canteen reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (9)good for groups (7)great for lunch (7)neighborhood gem (7)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Healthy but Delicious ThaisherryDined on 8/31/2014This restaurant has a slightly different take on Thai/Asian. All of the sauces are very light but extremely flavorful. The egg rolls are maybe the size of a cigarette but still have that wonderful flavor. My favorite appetizer is the savory nibbles.Special Features:
- The following 43 reviews are from the Summer Canteen reviews archive.
- much too loud musicirmaglutzDined on 7/12/20143 of us went for an early dinner prior to the theatre... the ambience is not to my pleasure, because it's very industrial and loud .. no ceiling and exposed a/c ducting etc, which was trendy... . everything was fine, the food was good, service too.. but the music kept getting louder, and louder at 6pm to 7pm.. there were only 3 tables with patrons inside and a couple outside, but we had to increase our speaking volume to be able to be heard while trying to have a dinner conversation... Impossible eventually, so I did ask them to please turn down the music, and they graciously did.. but it's unbelievable... what's with these restaurants...why do they think people need their loud music... instead of each other????Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CURRY DELIGHTSLTADined on 6/21/2014Being a vegetarian, I had their curry noodle. It was so tasty. My friend had the beef salad and said it was good, but has tasted better. Since it is out of my area, I would not be able to frequent this place, but if I lived in the neighborhood, I would go their often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Thai FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014Summer Canteen puts out some of the best Thai food around. I just wish it were closer to home. We'd really eat here more often. The food is always absolutely delicious, beautifully plated and thoroughly enjoyed every time we come here. The waitstaff is very attentive and efficient. This time we had the Burmese tea salad, Black pepper sole, Panang beef curry and Pad see u. All terrific ... can't wait till we go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/14/2014Reasonably priced alternative to the usual lunch spot. Fresh and flavorful dishes. Healthy too. Service can be spotty when it comes to tracking down your check.Special Features:
- Really great food!LunchtimeLarryDined on 2/14/2014This place serves great Asian food with a little Singapore style! Delicious! Must try! Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thailizzieDined on 2/7/2014fresh, well-displayed, and spicy food! intimate spot and friendly waiter/ess. tom yum was tasty, but baby corn was from a can, when i specifically asked for all fresh veggies. a great date spot.Special Features:
- Interesting flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/17/2014I keep looking for a Thai restaurant with better Pad Thai than my local little place, and this is not it...I will say their coconut soup and beef pho soup were delicious. I had to smell the soup, just to take in all the spices. Mmmm...really exotic. I've never had pho soup, so I'm not an expert, but the flavor was really nice. It's not a fancy place, and it doesn't pretend to be. Perhaps it's best suited as a lunch spot.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food and great beerOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/22/2013I love the Summer Canteen. The Thai food is always very good and not just the same old thing... For instance, one of my favorites is their Burmese Tea Leaf Salad; made with cashews, tea leaves, and fresh veggies it's light and tasty. The curries are also great. The beer selection is unusual for a small restaurant in that they feature a number of craft and Belgian beers on tap with a good selection in bottles, too. Service is attentive and the waitstaff is very friendly...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ThaiRusnakDined on 11/17/2013I've lived in the valley for many years and while there are a ton of Thai places, most are mom and pop shops with little ambiance and no great vibe. This has it all. GREAT tasting food, but also a cool atmosphere that is casual but could also be a fun date place. Interesting selections and incredible Thai Tea Creme Brulee. It's also got all the basic favorites-- pad thai, som tam, mango sticky rice. Best of all, it doesn't break the bank. I would definitely recommend here over most Thai places around the valley.Special Features:
- Yummy Reasonable Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/18/2013Tasty fresh food. Nice for lunch. Can be hard to get your check once you have finished eating.Special Features:
- Pleasant discovery -- reallyBlackieDined on 10/8/2013Pleasant discovery -- really appreciated, and enjoyed the staff, upbeat,friendly, extremely helpful, and knowledgeable .Special Features:
- Fresh & Tasty Neighborhood SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/11/2013Not your run of the mill Thai place. Interesting selections and reasonably priced lunch options. Great option when a sandwich won't do.Special Features:
- Not your usual Thai spotShelleyGDined on 9/9/2013This place is described as a Thai restaurant with Vietnamese and Burmese fusion/influences. This seems to be the only Burmese restaurant in any distance within the Valley, which I've been on the search for. The food, service, and ambiance were all great! Had the tea leaf salad, yellow curry noodles, and the green curry with brown rice. All were very delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodstarfood13Dined on 7/31/2013We go here for lunch offend...I could eat here everyday. :-)Special Features:
- The Chef is amazing. BeautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/12/2013The Chef is amazing. Beautiful presentation and the taste so flavorful! Definitely a neighborhood gem!!Special Features:
- Pad Thai was quite good. ServiceLeChatNoirVIPDined on 3/7/2013Pad Thai was quite good. Service was horribly slow. Ambiance was uninteresting. Restaurant is too loud. I wouldn't go back, but might order take out.
- The food is very good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2013The food is very good. The ambience is bright, lots of big windows. Simple, hip furnishings. Long tables. I had been there for dinner several times and it was almost empty so quiet. This time I went at lunch time and it was packed so noisy. Good lunch specials for 5.99. Near the studios etc. so popular for lunch.Special Features:
- Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/5/2013Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful!! Did not disappoint. Read the Yulp reviews & had read a article from Westways on sm. neighboohood spots. Decided to go for it, since it was a special occasion and wanted a low key enviroment. So many wonderful selections. We were a party of 4 and all of us enjoyed our entrees and will defiently be back for more. What a mix of texture, heat, and yumminess !! Thank You Yelp !!!Special Features:
- The food was very good. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012The food was very good. We will try to work our way through the menu.Special Features:
- Food here was typically ThaibgnsoVIPDined on 10/26/2012Food here was typically Thai and very well prepared and served. Nice, clean placeSpecial Features:
- This was my first time here.NickieVIPDined on 10/5/2012This was my first time here. The setup is very pretty, the food was delicious and ridiculously affordable, and the waitresses were all very nice. This was a great find.Special Features:
- This place is HOT!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2012"Medium spicy" equated to "burn your mouth off spicy" in our book, and we're Thai foodies. Nevertheless, the spicy basil with ground chicken rocked the house!Special Features:
- Might give it a 2nd chance ...GracieVIPDined on 7/14/2012I took my brother to lunch who is visiting from out of town. It was my first visit as well. I found the menu interesting and though I was looking for more choice, I settled with a standard (Orange Chicken) while my brother ordered the Summer Rice. My dish came over cooked... dry chicken and I do not do so well. My brothers dish was wonderful. They took back my dish and offered to make another, but my experiences in restaurants teach me to say "no thank you, I am not interested in chancing it again". Since the menu is limiting (though interesting) and my diet not allowing much of the other choices, I passed. They handled the situation very well and I may give it a chance another time once this experience fades. The staff is
- Summer fried rice is to die!HammyVIPDined on 6/29/2012Summer fried rice is to die! Amazing flavora in every dish. 5$ beers and wines.Special Features:
- The pad Thai and green curryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2012The pad Thai and green curry and shrimp wrap were amazing! The decor is simple and unpretentious. Great low key spot with friends who just want good food and casual atmosphere.Special Features:
- For personal lunch or casualOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/16/2012For personal lunch or casual lunch spot OK - yet for a dinner would only consider for a very casual dinner experience. Concrete floors, hard benches & chairs for seating. A "buffet" lunch couknter setting. More Asian fushion with limited menu. As for food quality- fair to good. Yet nothing noteable or outstanding. Fair food for fair price.
- A distinctive Thai placeAdamVIPDined on 4/17/2012Been here twice now, and I'm in love with this place. Even though I would hesitate to say this is a "more authentic" Thai restaurant, they do have some items on the menu that are a little more exotic than the usual. In any case, everything I've tried here has been spectacular. Most recently I shared the curry noodles and the garlic pepper stir fried fish. Both were truly remarkable. And you can't miss the "savory nibbles" appetizer!Special Features:
- Best Thai food in the eastSDBcruiseVIPDined on 4/7/2012Best Thai food in the east valley. Delicious, unusual, gourmet, Thai cuisine!!!! I yearn for their summer rolls!!!!Special Features:
- A great dining experience.UberskiperVIPDined on 3/31/2012A great dining experience. Cool atmosphere, very friendly staff. Easy parking in the structure below. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great casual dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/30/2012Superb service! Lots of variety in the menu, without having 17 pages to look through. And the cheapest wine in LA!Special Features:
- Better Than ExpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/24/2012The service was great! We really enjoyed Summer Canteen. The nibbles were yummy and the Tom Kah (coconut milk, chicken, etc.) soup was the best I've ever had!! Wow. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- It was a great surprise toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/20/2012It was a great surprise to find this restaurant within walking distance of my home. The food is good and the prices are reasonable. There is plenty of room and outdoor tables for the day time. I'll be back.Special Features:
- The service was great. TheBlazer503Dined on 3/16/2012The service was great. The salmon kham wan was an interesting treat. Everything was very tasty although it did seem to take longer than usual to come out of the kitchen.Special Features:
- Glad we found this placeAdamVIPDined on 3/2/2012We found this place here on Open Table (1000 points!) and we're glad we did. Cool, modern space in Toluca Lake. Service is very sweet. And the food is delicious. Slightly Americanized, but that's okay with me. Flavors are complex, and they have a wide range of Thai favorites. We plan to be back soon!Special Features:
- The food was delicious, butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2012The food was delicious, but I DESPISE the long wait for my lunch special!!! No one in my party ordered anything time consuming! It's weird too, it's a Thai restaurant and they give fortune cookies at the end? Go figure.Special Features:
- Very good Thai food in a casualrgzspickVIPDined on 2/17/2012Very good Thai food in a casual setting; we liked the orange chicken and the walnut shrimp; the chicken satay is a very good appetizer, done well here. A place that you can go to whenever you want very good Thai food in the Valley.Special Features:
- The food was great and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012The food was great and the prices are reasonable. I'll definitely be going back.Special Features:
- The walnut shrimp was terrific.patsVIPDined on 1/13/2012The walnut shrimp was terrific. We plan on going back. Worth a try. Free parking is also a nice change.Special Features:
- It really is a neighborhoodAiboERS7VIPDined on 1/7/2012It really is a neighborhood gem with high quality thai foodSpecial Features: