Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh
414 Glenwood Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27603Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sullivanssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (919) 833-2888
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Robert Crawford
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz in the lounge Monday through Sunday.
A word from Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh
Sullivan’s is a vibrant neighborhood American Steakhouse featuring the finest steaks & seafood, hand shaken martinis, & live music. We offer comfortable fine dining in a lively atmosphere. From the moment you step inside our lounge for drinks, appetizers or dinner, you will feel the energy and excitement provided by our professional team. Sullivan’s serves the finest Midwestern hand selected steaks aged a minimum of 28 days, simply seasoned and broiled at 1,200 degrees, fresh seafood, a wide selection of cravable appetizers, soups, salads and side dishes. Our desserts are house-made daily. Our Wine Spectators "Award of Excellence" wine list offers an array of selections from around the world. Whether it’s for business or pleasure, we look forward to quickly becoming your favorite local steakhouse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh reviews from OpenTable diners
257 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (205)romantic (134)notable wine list (125)good for groups (73)fit for foodies (73)vibrant bar scene (64)hot spot (61)neighborhood gem (39)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Birthday visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014This was the first time me and my girlfriend has been here and we were blown away. Food was awesome, service was excellent, and the atmosphere was perfect for the occasion. We well definitely return to Sullivan's again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would be Excellent for a special occasionRVAinloveDined on 11/22/2014All staff was super friendly and accommodating. Nice speciality drink and wine list. The lobster bisque soup was excellent. Husband enjoyed his steak while I thought my scallops were okay. We did enjoy the side of asparagus. Overall a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sullivan's A StapleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014My wife and I frequent Sullivan's and have never had a bad experience. From the service, to the food to simply making a reservation, every person you encounter will be courteous, polite and pleasant. This is one of the few places you can still go and be treated like royalty. Most restaurants these days don't take the time to train their staff to be pleasant and courteous and the result is an unpleasant dining experience where you have to beg just to keep your drink glass filled. This is NOT the case for Sullivan's. The customer service at this establishment is spot on. Your server will be knowledgeable and polite. Your food will be perfect and on-time. Your beverage will not be empty for long, and you will always have a full glass of water while they prepare your next beverage. Sullivan's does a great job of staging your meal so that you are receiving each course at the appropriate time. Sullivan's is a staple to our date nights. We can always count on Sullivan's to get it right and be consistently a great experience. We have 4 children and Sullivan's is our escape to be a couple, not just mom and dad. Often when the server asks if we are celebrating a special occasion, we reply "We are celebrating having a baby-sitter!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealFrequentDinerVIPDined on 11/15/2014We dine at Sullivan's for many special occasions. Our meals there are always great. On this night we had a filet, salmon, tuna and short ribs. We had sides of au gratin potatoes and asparagus. We ordered French onion soup and kale salads as starters. Everything was prepared perfectly. The only criticism I could come up with is the asparagus was a bit scrawny. The pace of the meal was just as it should be. Although it was very crowded we didn't feel rushed. Our server, Julia, was attentive and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Took my husband for his Birthday dinner. I had called ahead for a reservation and he was greeted with a Birthday wish when we checked in. The food was delicious and the service was great even though it was our servers fist day and we were her first customer. Overall everything was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingDiningadeuxDined on 11/9/2014Every time that we visit the food, service and the atmosphere are exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steaks in NC!MfscrnaVIPDined on 11/8/2014Sullivan's is the perfect restaurant for a special occasion where you will be guaranteed top service and amazing food. Their dry aged NY strip and brussel sprouts with bacon are delicious. The managers and staff are extremely friendly and always make you feel special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation Flop!!HopedForSoMuchMoreDined on 11/8/2014Not what I was hoping for. We had reservations at 8:15 for a party of 4 and did not get seated until 9 or 9:15. We were early and were not advised at all that our reservations would be pushed back. At no time did anyone approach us and apologize until we started complaining. When we were finally seated the manager offered to get us appetizers which he did but by the time we ate we were no longer hungry and I felt our actual meal was a waste. I would have rather had a %taken off my meal (we were not given an option as to how they could make our experience better) At no time after the original seating did we see the manager again.Special Features:
- OutstandingLuvsullivansDined on 11/8/2014We celebrated birthdays at Sullivan's and had an outstanding experience! Great service, beautiful atmosphere and delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JennDined on 11/4/2014we would visit more often but the noise level makes it hard to have a conversation. Also the hosting seating is very questionable they tried to seat people in the center on top of each otherSpecial Features:
- A little disappointed1sttimeguestDined on 11/1/2014We heard great things about Sullivan's so it was our first choice. We had an 8pm reservation, but weren't seated until 8:40. Our server, Judah, was PHENOMENAL! The waitstaff as a whole was EXCEPTIONAL. (Unfortunately my date under tipped so I went back as Judah deserved more than he received) However my steak was undercooked (I ordered medium well & it was barely medium) our entrees were served at 10:30 (over an hour & a half later) I watched managers stop by several tables but not ours though our food took FOREVER. Thankfully great conversation kept us busy but the delay caused us to have to cancel our after dinner plans. We watched the table who had an 8:15 reservation & were seated late leave prior to receiving their meal due to the waitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/1/2014We had an enjoyable dinner, the steaks are always cooked to perfection, regardless of cut of beef. The pineapple knockout martini is a must order! Best steak restaurant in Raeigh?Special Features:
- Date nightmadmaxisgodDined on 11/1/2014My wife and I were celebration 1 month being married, and this was the perfect spot to do so. 10/10Special Features:
- Awesome dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Excellent food. Staff was professional and very efficient. Awesome atmosphere. I would recommend this to anyone. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fullthrottleDined on 11/1/2014Excellent food and service! I highly recommend Sullivan's for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UntitledOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014Overall good, just tone down the upselling (appetizers, drinks, etc...)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedBdayVIPDined on 10/25/2014Its been a while since we came downtown to have dinner at Sullivans. I will have to say it will be longer before we come back. Food was cold, service was ok. Over priced for what you would expect. If you want a great food & service, go to Vinnie's vs. deal with Sullivan's.Special Features:
- 20 year anniversaryLovemywife20Dined on 10/25/2014Love the cheessteak app,salads were awesome,the croutons could be smaller, our steaks had to go back to bring them up to medium, wished the asparagus was allot smaller,the augrauton potatoes were great,over all I will come back it was our 5th time so we come when it's special, your manager Mark was awesome,he helped with the bill and I tipped on the total. Thanks for the experience.Special Features:
- Sullivan's SteakhousekcljarDined on 10/25/2014Sullivan's is a great place to eat, my wife and I enjoying going there on special occasions or if we are going to a show in downtown Raleigh. Their steaks are tender and full of flavor (I had the ribeye). Although we don't drink, they seem to have a pretty extensive wine list. When the Carolina Hurricanes hosted the NHL All-Star game, I was selected as one of the volunteer drivers to take the players where they wanted to go. Peter Laviolette, the former coach for the Hurricanes, asked us to take him and several other people to Sullivan's for dinner one evening. I can't think of a better recommendation than that.Special Features:
- 2 Year AnniversarynoteDined on 10/20/2014When I made the reservation, I had added that it was going to be my husband and I's 2 year anniversary. Well everyone, and I mean everyone, including the hostess, the water attendant, our waiter, another waiter knew it was our anniversary. They even gave us a free slice of cheesecake and on the trim of the plate they wrote out in strawberry syrup "Happy 2 Year Anniversary". It was GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodAvalonsDined on 10/18/2014Service and food were very good--attentive staff, timing of food delivery was great and on a very busy night,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerPablo77Dined on 10/18/2014always great food and excellent service my wife and I love this place be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceKerriMDined on 10/18/2014The food and service were outstanding at Sullivan's. I highly recommend going their for a nice dinner.Special Features:
- Outstanding as always!!kat2363Dined on 10/17/2014I love this restaurant!! If you are looking for a delicious steak and great food, this is the place for you. Usually there is a wait, but this past time we were sat right away!! Our server was very knowledgeable of the wine list and they just started to serve stone cold crab which I love!! I am very impressed with the service! Always excellent!! Also, my boyfriend and I went there for our 5 year anniversary and we received a thank you card from the restaurant. Very impressed and always feel like the customer is appreciated here.Special Features:
- Rich and Cathy SchwarzLov2havefunDined on 10/17/2014This is our "go to "restaurant that we like for special occasions, dining out with friends or date night? Nice atmosphere and price fix options are great. Vibrant and fun. One thing that's need to be changed is the waitresses uniforms. skirts are too short!Special Features:
- Pretty Good SteaksWayneLeeDined on 10/17/2014Had dinner on a Friday night, the place was packed. The steak was excellent, service was professional but kind of impersonal. It's kind of loud too, not good for a romantic dinner. Still, we'd probably go back.Special Features:
- paulaDined on 10/17/2014The food and service were impeccable. Definitely there is attention to detail. Staff very polite. They treat you like loyalty in terms of getting out of your way when walking through the restaurant even with their hands full with food. Prices are on the higher end. Specialty Cocktails were about $13 but definitely worth it. Creative and strong. We had made reservations for the main dining area but when we got there we opted for the more intimate cocktail high top tables. The decor is a bit dated and the bar area makes you sort of feel like you are on a cruise ship. It was dark and cozy so nice for date night. The steak was very tender and cooked as requested. The snow crab claws were fresh and succulent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner Date!birthdaygirlDined on 10/14/2014A friend of mine decided to take me out for my birthday. Name the place she said!! So we made reservations and the rest is history!! I have never enjoyed myself so much! The food was the best, service was great, and the company was excellent, including the staff members who joined us!! I love this place and will definitely recommend Sullivan's!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Anniversary DinnerprsquirtVIPDined on 10/12/2014I wanted to go somewhere that is not everyday for us and this was perfect for our first anniversary dinner. The waiter was exceptional. Our steaks were very good. My husband had the 12 oz filet and I had the prix menu with a 6 oz filet. My 6 oz was plenty but I will probably skip the prix menu next time. It was good to try since I wanted to try several menu items as it was my first visit. Along with the 12 oz my husband had the mushroom which were good and the asparagus which were not very tender, could have cooked just a tad longer. All in all we enjoyed our dinner and would go again. I didn't give it five stars since I didn't want to over rate on my first visit. If they are consistent on my next visit, I will then upgrade to five stars.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Sullivan's has been our favorite restaurant for years now. Our last two visits have been disappointing. Our steak was over cooked, our friends steak was under cooked. The attention to detail is just not there anymore. We like to order appetizers, salads, split an entrée and end with two deserts. Most fine dining facilities welcome this and often split the entrée for us in the kitchen. In this case, they brought one plate and we had to remind them to bring a second. Just not the same as it always has been.Special Features:
- Needs improvement for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Server was attenative, friendly and helpful, but forgot a few specific requests. Steak was good, but presentation was not. 8 oz filet does not need to be served on a large platter with steak juices running about the plate. Looked sloppy. Smaller plate would have made it more appealing. Mac and cheese was recommended, but it was dry and not good. Calamari was done very well. Overall, way over priced for the quality and experience. Sides should be included with meal as they are not quite outstanding enough for a $10 to $15 gratin dish. There are many restaurants in this area with steaks as good as Sullivan's or better for less that include a side.
- Wine guidance absentYummyVIPDined on 10/11/2014While the food was pretty good, Sullivans cannot compete with real steak restaurants - it is a bit of a pretender, in my opinion. No advice on wine- when we asked for guidance our waitress replied - i don't drink wine. I cannot imagine that happening at Vinnies.
- Great food/service - very expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/11/2014The food was spectacular -and service stellar, but the prices were extremely high. If we had not gotten a gift card from a from a friend - we'd not have afforded Sullivans. $40 for a steak - be it wonderful - is still pricy. Special occasion place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Treated my husband out for his birthday. It was a wonderful. It was our first time there. Our waiters were helpful and very friendly. The food is what really made it though! Steak was great! If I would point out anything for improvement it would be to train your drink fillers not to pass their shirts over the food to get to the drinks. I did tell them this but apparently that is how they are trained.Special Features:
- JerseygirlDined on 10/4/2014My besties 38th birthday was awesome! We sat there talking and enjoying the ambiance......3 hours past and we didn't even realize it! The waiter kept us entertained and when they forgot to put our tickets in for our entrées they offered us free desserts. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uninformed waitressGolden07Dined on 10/3/2014I've always had a good experience at Sullivan's. Our waitress was telling us about the oyster special and said there were some from the east coast and some from west coast. When asked she said the ones from the east coast were from Michigan?!? Then came back after asking someone and said Martha's Vineyard, Minnesota?!? She was clearly not very smart and it reflected poorly on the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Since my wife and I split a steak it would have been nice if the waiter had asked if he wanted to do the splitting as well as that huge potato but he didn't ask. Steak was delicious. I did notice the waitress waiting on a couple next to us greeted them with "hi guys". It was a male and female..thats the kind of greeting youd get at Applebees, not Sullivans. With those prices clearly a 'special occasion' place which our waitress asked when he sat down. We must have looked it! Great restaurant. Pat PattersonSpecial Features:
- Very goodStevenTMANDined on 10/1/2014This was an upscale dining experience with an interesting atmosphere. It was a little loud and crowded but the staff was VERY good. They were very courteous, attentive, and prompt with their service. The overall experience could not have been better. The food was very good. I have seen reviews that say the food is expensive, and it is... but I have eaten food of comparable quality for a comparable price, so it seems fair to me. This was my first time at Sullivan's and I plan to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Steak was great and shrimp cocktail was the best I think I have ever had. The mac and cheese was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday NightNomadVIPDined on 9/27/2014Arrived and seated promptly. Place filled up quickly. Female server was friendly, prompt and attentive without hovering. Spouse had the halibut (special), lettuce wedge and creamed corn and Chilean wine and thoroughly enjoyed her meal. I tried the Prix Fixe of galic meatballs, salad wedge and 6 oz filet. The meatballs were great -- the three that came were gobbled up -- and the steak cooked perfectly. The horseradish mashed potatoes had just the right combo to enjoy the taste and flavor without being overpowering. I was worried that this Sullivan's had started to slip given last few recent visits, but this meal and experience rested those concerns.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.