Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh
414 Glenwood Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27603Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sullivanssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 9198332888x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Robert Crawford
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz in the lounge Monday through Sunday.
A word from Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh
Sullivan’s is a vibrant neighborhood American Steakhouse featuring the finest steaks & seafood, hand shaken martinis, & live music. We offer comfortable fine dining in a lively atmosphere. From the moment you step inside our lounge for drinks, appetizers or dinner, you will feel the energy and excitement provided by our professional team. Sullivan’s serves the finest Midwestern hand selected steaks aged a minimum of 28 days, simply seasoned and broiled at 1,200 degrees, fresh seafood, a wide selection of cravable appetizers, soups, salads and side dishes. Our desserts are house-made daily. Our Wine Spectators "Award of Excellence" wine list offers an array of selections from around the world. Whether it’s for business or pleasure, we look forward to quickly becoming your favorite local steakhouse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh reviews from OpenTable diners
273 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (224)romantic (142)notable wine list (118)good for groups (81)fit for foodies (74)vibrant bar scene (68)hot spot (49)neighborhood gem (40)late-night find (21)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- Disappointed in steakOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014I choose to have the age rub new strip for dinner after recommendation by waitress and a friend dining before us. I was greatly disappointed in the quality of the steak. There was so much gristle in my steak I could barely cut it with the knife, then chewing it was near impossible. All this from a $50 steak. The chef should have rejected this cut from the beginning.Special Features:
- Crowded and noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I forgot to request a booth, so I was feeling a bit claustrophobic with the tables SO close together and so many people maneuvering between them. The food is fairly good, but the waitstaff was unprofessional for this type of restaurant. When we ordered mixed drinks instead of choosing from the wine list our waitress actually said "liquor is quicker". Yikes. At least we didn't have the waiter at the next table over, who rambled on about sports for so long we thought he was going to sit down and join the couple he was serving. The food was reasonably good, but presentation was really lacking. I tried to make the best of it, but for this price range I think I'll stick to Second Empire in the future.
- Sullivans has gone downhillLocalDined on 9/11/2014Dined there 9/11 service and food were horrible with 2 business colleagues. Experience was embarrassing as both remarked as we were leaving that I need to find a new favorite place. Have been to Sullivan's many times and was always pleased but steak was undercooked and sent back and it took 15 minutes to get it back to the table. Sides which were not replaced. No one (manager) came to the table to ask if anything was alright other than someone hovering over me when the steak was delivered asking of it was OK. Steak medallions were mostly gristle and fat. Service was substandard compared to what I've experienced in the past. Not sure what has happened there (at Sullivan's) but it is not the restaurant it used to be.,
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014Service was fantastic. Food was great also. Being from WI always compare the steaks. Still love WI steaks better but Sullivan's was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything was greatoldfoodieDined on 9/7/2014We used Opentable to make the reservations out of convenience. We met our friends in their bar, where the choices and prices were reasonable, especially since the ladies martini's were on sale. The meal and service was just about as good as it could get. Granted we all had steaks, which is what the restaurant has been known for as long as I've been around. Sauteed mushrooms as a side was an excellent choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulSkinnyeatsDined on 9/6/2014Myself and partner really enjoyed our meal, service, location, and ambiance. Great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The food was incredible along with the drinks. Had a wonderful dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy 5th AnniversaryJustDowntheRoadDined on 9/6/2014"My wife and I chose Sullivan's for our 5th anniversary dinner. I definitely would return, but just not on a special occasion. There were people filing in from an NC State football game in t-shirts and shorts and I was in dress pants and a dress shirt. They should consider a dress code after a certain time. It didn't quite have the intimate and special feel we were expecting, however we still enjoyed the time together and adapted just fine to the energetic atmosphere. The 12 oz. filet and crab cake were wonderful choices. The lobster and shrimp bisque was great too. Service was friendly and we did not feel rushed.Special Features:
- Great meal; service not up to parFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014We often dine at Sullivan's for a great meal. We had salmon and a dry aged strip steak. Both entrees were prepared perfectly. Our starters of French onion soup and kale salad were very good as were the sides of asparagus and au gratin potatoes. When it came time to pay the bill our server, Lou, questioned the validity of the Open Table $20 check. When the manager approved I told her I wanted to use frequent diner points to offset a portion of the check. I don't know if she thought I would short her tip or she didn't want to be bothered but Lou became argumentative giving me silly reasons why I shouldn't. I insisted on using the points so she complied. I tipped her 20% of the original check so I hope she was satisfied.Special Features:
- Only steakhouse for me! Period!DonEDined on 9/6/2014We have been to Sullivan's on a fee occasions, and most recently celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary there. Everything, as it's been each time we have been, was exceptional! We have been to Angus Barn and Ruth's Chris, and I wouldn't even recommend either of those places to anyone I know, especially when Sullivan's is, in my opinion, the ONLY option! Thank you for making my decision this easy, and thank you for your standard of excellence which sets you apart!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary celebrationjackcorvetteDined on 9/5/2014First time at Sullivan's. Cose it for the reviews - best of all the steak houses in Raleigh. Food and service stood up to the fabulous reviews previously received. When they found out it was our 50th anniversary, the wait staff couldn't do enough for us. Will go again and not just for a special occasaion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014Sullivan's is amazing. The food is wonderful and the service is amazing. Perfect for a romantic dinner for 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 7 years made specialWillBDined on 9/1/2014Phenomenal experience. We were first time guests enjoying a special (and rare) night out to celebrate our 7th anniversary and the staff at Sullivan's made us feel so welcome that it was as if we had been going there for years, and were part of the family. Exceeded all expectations and I highly recommend it. We will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealEnjoyfinediningDined on 8/31/2014The meal at the restaurant was great. We had 4 people in the party and all of us had a great experience. I was disappointed in the service overall at the restaurant. The last 2 times I came here, it appeared that the servers had very little knowledge of the good and didn't come around all that often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday!Jhm783Dined on 8/30/2014Another wonderful experience...you can't ever go wrong @Sullivan's. Love love LOVE this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbfirsttimebutnotmylastDined on 8/30/2014We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary here and our limo was about 30 minutes late. I called the restaurant and I was assured that it wouldn't be a problem, our table would be ready for us when we arrived and it was no problem at all. The greeting staff were upbeat, friendly and courteous. Service staff prompt, efficient, attentive and eager to please. The food was absolutely delicious worth the price. We had a large party and were treated like we were the only customers there. I would highly recommend this restaurant. The food was amazing and I will become a regular customer here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sullivan's Steakhouse a Raleigh GemSlayerDined on 8/30/2014We've eaten at Sullivan's numerous times now and it's always outstanding...from the waiters/waitresses to the food and drinks. This is an outstanding place to have a splendid dinner with someone special. The level of concern and professionalism shown by employees and management staff is commendable...from neat and professional demeanors to keen knowledge of the menu, to the way they make guests feel cared for and welcome. This time they had a special buffalo mozzarella and various tomatoes salad available that was a superb starter. After that, we had a delectable steak and lobster trio followed by a banana foster type desert--all of which were excellent. Thank you Sullivan's for making another dining experience special for us.Special Features:
- My customers like Sullivan's...bt102586Dined on 8/27/2014Good food but weirdly dark for a small, serious business dinner. Service good but a little overbearing. The waitress went thru the beer selection (no draughts!) and neglected to mention the locals. Wine selection excellent. A boisterous table near us that detracted from the experience. The shrimp cocktail was good as was the HK-style Sea Bass but the Caesar salad was unremarkable. I'll be back because this is the kind of place several of my customers covet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food good serviceLuvfinedinningDined on 8/24/2014Food was excellent along with excellent service. Immediate seating. Excellent wait staff very professional and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!DrMouseDined on 8/24/2014Food was excellent, staff was great, and atmosphere was enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PavyDined on 8/23/2014Service was excellent as well as the food. Courses were nicely spaced to allow a leisurely meal.Special Features:
- Way too Rushed serviceGigiDined on 8/23/2014Food was excellent but service was way too rushed... Like they wanted us out fast so they could fill with another customer... Was restaurant week and excellent price but rush spoiled the evening... Could see waitresses running down the aisle... Finished 3 courses before one glass of wine...Special Features:
- Outstanding!YumYumDined on 8/23/2014What a pleasant surprise - the best steak I have EVER tasted! Wonderful service! Wonderful everything! We look forward to visiting as often as we can. So happy we have a new favorite to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out-bit of a waitintheneighborhoodDined on 8/22/2014We arrived early, but were not seated until 30+ minutes after our reservation. Other than that, ambience is great, as is the food. The price is about what you would expect to pay for a destination restaurant. Live music was playing in an active bar area. For a great night out in a vibrant part of town, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Awful Experienceet24Dined on 8/22/2014Arrived 10 mins early for our 8pm reservation to celebrate my mom's 50th birthday. Was told by the hostess that we were to be seated in 10 minutes, however, 30 mins later we were still not seated. I asked how much longer it would be since our reservation time had long passed and was told by the hostess that she could not tell us when. The hostess did not want to tell us a time as it may be inaccurate, she was extremely rude. We decided to leave the restaurant without even dining. The manager apologized by offering complimentary wine/cocktails but was unable to guarantee a table. We have been to Sullivan's several times before but have never had a poor experience like this one. We were very disappointed and will likely not return.
- An Experiencekeg1Dined on 8/22/2014My wife and I celebrated our 45th Wedding Anniversary at Sullivans in Downtown Raleigh. NC. We had 6:45 reservations, but the place was packed and several very large parties came through. We finally were seated at about 7:00. Not too bad all in all. Everyone was cordial. Our wait staff, Alexis and Lindsey were perfectly aware of our needs and while not intrusive were on the spot to serve us when needed. I had arranged to have a large bouquet of roses delivered earlier in the day and they were prominently placed on the table when we arrived. Three managers stopped by during our meal and asked about our experience. The food was wonderful. Steaks cooked to perfection. We had a grand time and would go back.Special Features:
- Amazing service!!flemingsVIPDined on 8/21/2014Gui was our server and he, as always, is amazing!! So friendly and spot on with our orders!!!Special Features:
- Really enjoyed Sullivan'smikendebDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I tried Sullivan's during Downtown Raleigh Restaurant Week. The food was fabulous and the service was even better! I cannot recall any time having better service than what we had at Sullivan's! My wife's steak came out a little over done and it was corrected very quickly with the apologies of two different managers. We will definitely return to Sullivan's for another fabulous dining experience. By the was the filet just melted in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Celebrated anniversary here. Little pricey, but you get what you pay for. Best steak Ive ever had. It's a little noisy, but for what it is I could get over it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014To be honest, it was very loud. Not what I would expect for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raleigh Restaurant Week outingCaptainBDined on 8/20/2014I had heard about Sullivan's for many years but never had an opportunity to go. A friend suggested Sullivan's for Raleigh's Restaurant week, so we dined there. Big place, very good food (we both had great steaks), good wine, excellent service. If I had to pick something to improve, it was the noise level. Just lots of people talking, but it was loud enough that talking across a table-for-two required full speaking voice. All in all, a very enjoyable dinner. I will return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grest selection for business dinnerCaryREDined on 8/20/2014Business dinner party of 7; excellent food and service; great atmosphere (round table) for a fully-engaged discussion with all attendees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our 47th anniversary dinnerGrandmaDined on 8/19/2014The food and the service were absolutely impeccable. My only complaint was the noise level. It was extremely noisy when we first arrived but once we had our food we didn't pay much attention to the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night locationCB88Dined on 8/17/2014Had a good time. Just pricey for it being considered a dinner special. The service was great and the bar area was very invitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerVIPDined on 8/17/2014I ordered my filet medium and it came rare. On top of that, it was tough. Baked Potato was warm.
- art456Dined on 8/16/2014Nice ambience, waitstaff was friendly and efficient. Steaks were good, cooked according to request, although my wife's NY Strip was a little tougher than expected. The only thing that disappointed was the "bacon wrapped scallops with peach glaze". I have had this dish at other resaturants and loved it, was looking forward to it here. It was absolutely dreadful. Hate to be so negative about it, but it was really quite horrible. Everything else was very, very good. Out of a party of 10, I was the only one with the scallops who was really disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, Staff and Ambiance -Thumbs UpOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014My wife and I come here when friends visit and for special occasions. The dining room is open, yet, intimate and seperate from the bar(which actually has its own room). The staff operates like a well oiled machine. The food is prepared just right. Plus, it's downtown so you can take a stroll afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left wantingXperiencefudDined on 8/14/2014My experience wasn't necessarily bad, but for a bill of $100 at the end if the night the good and service could have been so much better. Our server was lack luster but there were a couple of others we over heard who gave. Much better explanation of the nights specials. We ordered 2 filet mignons, mine med-rare and my fiancé ordered his medium. The order came out incorrectly with mine medium and his medium rare. The highlight of the night was the birthday cheesecake they surprised us with. They didn't mention anything about our special occasion until the end of the meal. Overall, I wish we had spent his birthday at Flemmings or Ruth's Chris. Probably won't go back to Sullivan's foe dinner.Special Features:
- Quality SteakhouseJP1775Dined on 8/10/2014As always, we had a phenomenal meal with top notch service in a great atmosphere. A wine for every palate and food combination, Sullivans does it right. The server was knowledgable and engaging without being overbearing and certainly added to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent steaksCoreyDined on 8/9/2014Love the food! Steaks were prepared perfectly and my wife loved the signature martini. We'll go again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.