Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh
414 Glenwood Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27603Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sullivanssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 9198332888x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Robert Crawford
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz in the lounge Monday through Sunday.
A word from Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh
Sullivan’s is a vibrant neighborhood American Steakhouse featuring the finest steaks & seafood, hand shaken martinis, & live music. We offer comfortable fine dining in a lively atmosphere. From the moment you step inside our lounge for drinks, appetizers or dinner, you will feel the energy and excitement provided by our professional team. Sullivan’s serves the finest Midwestern hand selected steaks aged a minimum of 28 days, simply seasoned and broiled at 1,200 degrees, fresh seafood, a wide selection of cravable appetizers, soups, salads and side dishes. Our desserts are house-made daily. Our Wine Spectators "Award of Excellence" wine list offers an array of selections from around the world. Whether it’s for business or pleasure, we look forward to quickly becoming your favorite local steakhouse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh reviews from OpenTable diners
251 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (205)romantic (137)notable wine list (121)fit for foodies (77)good for groups (70)vibrant bar scene (66)hot spot (55)neighborhood gem (38)late-night find (20)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Very GoodAvalonsDined on 10/18/2014Service and food were very good--attentive staff, timing of food delivery was great and on a very busy night,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014always great food and excellent service my wife and I love this place be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food and service were outstanding at Sullivan's. I highly recommend going their for a nice dinner.Special Features:
- Outstanding as always!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014I love this restaurant!! If you are looking for a delicious steak and great food, this is the place for you. Usually there is a wait, but this past time we were sat right away!! Our server was very knowledgeable of the wine list and they just started to serve stone cold crab which I love!! I am very impressed with the service! Always excellent!! Also, my boyfriend and I went there for our 5 year anniversary and we received a thank you card from the restaurant. Very impressed and always feel like the customer is appreciated here.Special Features:
- Rich and Cathy SchwarzOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014This is our "go to "restaurant that we like for special occasions, dining out with friends or date night? Nice atmosphere and price fix options are great. Vibrant and fun. One thing that's need to be changed is the waitresses uniforms. skirts are too short!Special Features:
- Pretty Good SteaksWayneLeeDined on 10/17/2014Had dinner on a Friday night, the place was packed. The steak was excellent, service was professional but kind of impersonal. It's kind of loud too, not good for a romantic dinner. Still, we'd probably go back.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner Date!birthdaygirlDined on 10/14/2014A friend of mine decided to take me out for my birthday. Name the place she said!! So we made reservations and the rest is history!! I have never enjoyed myself so much! The food was the best, service was great, and the company was excellent, including the staff members who joined us!! I love this place and will definitely recommend Sullivan's!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Anniversary DinnerprsquirtVIPDined on 10/12/2014I wanted to go somewhere that is not everyday for us and this was perfect for our first anniversary dinner. The waiter was exceptional. Our steaks were very good. My husband had the 12 oz filet and I had the prix menu with a 6 oz filet. My 6 oz was plenty but I will probably skip the prix menu next time. It was good to try since I wanted to try several menu items as it was my first visit. Along with the 12 oz my husband had the mushroom which were good and the asparagus which were not very tender, could have cooked just a tad longer. All in all we enjoyed our dinner and would go again. I didn't give it five stars since I didn't want to over rate on my first visit. If they are consistent on my next visit, I will then upgrade to five stars.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Sullivan's has been our favorite restaurant for years now. Our last two visits have been disappointing. Our steak was over cooked, our friends steak was under cooked. The attention to detail is just not there anymore. We like to order appetizers, salads, split an entrée and end with two deserts. Most fine dining facilities welcome this and often split the entrée for us in the kitchen. In this case, they brought one plate and we had to remind them to bring a second. Just not the same as it always has been.Special Features:
- Wine guidance absentYummyVIPDined on 10/11/2014While the food was pretty good, Sullivans cannot compete with real steak restaurants - it is a bit of a pretender, in my opinion. No advice on wine- when we asked for guidance our waitress replied - i don't drink wine. I cannot imagine that happening at Vinnies.
- Great food/service - very expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/11/2014The food was spectacular -and service stellar, but the prices were extremely high. If we had not gotten a gift card from a from a friend - we'd not have afforded Sullivans. $40 for a steak - be it wonderful - is still pricy. Special occasion place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Treated my husband out for his birthday. It was a wonderful. It was our first time there. Our waiters were helpful and very friendly. The food is what really made it though! Steak was great! If I would point out anything for improvement it would be to train your drink fillers not to pass their shirts over the food to get to the drinks. I did tell them this but apparently that is how they are trained.Special Features:
- JerseygirlDined on 10/4/2014My besties 38th birthday was awesome! We sat there talking and enjoying the ambiance......3 hours past and we didn't even realize it! The waiter kept us entertained and when they forgot to put our tickets in for our entrées they offered us free desserts. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uninformed waitressGolden07Dined on 10/3/2014I've always had a good experience at Sullivan's. Our waitress was telling us about the oyster special and said there were some from the east coast and some from west coast. When asked she said the ones from the east coast were from Michigan?!? Then came back after asking someone and said Martha's Vineyard, Minnesota?!? She was clearly not very smart and it reflected poorly on the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Since my wife and I split a steak it would have been nice if the waiter had asked if he wanted to do the splitting as well as that huge potato but he didn't ask. Steak was delicious. I did notice the waitress waiting on a couple next to us greeted them with "hi guys". It was a male and female..thats the kind of greeting youd get at Applebees, not Sullivans. With those prices clearly a 'special occasion' place which our waitress asked when he sat down. We must have looked it! Great restaurant. Pat PattersonSpecial Features:
- Very goodStevenTMANDined on 10/1/2014This was an upscale dining experience with an interesting atmosphere. It was a little loud and crowded but the staff was VERY good. They were very courteous, attentive, and prompt with their service. The overall experience could not have been better. The food was very good. I have seen reviews that say the food is expensive, and it is... but I have eaten food of comparable quality for a comparable price, so it seems fair to me. This was my first time at Sullivan's and I plan to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Steak was great and shrimp cocktail was the best I think I have ever had. The mac and cheese was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday NightNomadVIPDined on 9/27/2014Arrived and seated promptly. Place filled up quickly. Female server was friendly, prompt and attentive without hovering. Spouse had the halibut (special), lettuce wedge and creamed corn and Chilean wine and thoroughly enjoyed her meal. I tried the Prix Fixe of galic meatballs, salad wedge and 6 oz filet. The meatballs were great -- the three that came were gobbled up -- and the steak cooked perfectly. The horseradish mashed potatoes had just the right combo to enjoy the taste and flavor without being overpowering. I was worried that this Sullivan's had started to slip given last few recent visits, but this meal and experience rested those concerns.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week OnlyWasteDined on 9/26/2014My experience at Sullivan's during restaurant week was great, but this past weekend it really was a waste of time and $. The server got the orders wrong even after being corrected. The food was not worth the wait and it was completely tasteless.Special Features:
- Always Outstanding Food!Jchphd78Dined on 9/24/2014We've dined at Sullivan's a number of times and the food and service are consistently outstanding. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- A very special dining experienceMartinHDined on 9/22/2014We booked our table in advance to celebrate our marriage from the weekend, and a special birthday too. We had asked for a quiet area, and that's exactly what we received. Perfect. Brandon, our waiter was exceptional. The appetizers were wonderful, the calamari stunning (we would come back for this alone!) and the entree steaks cooked perfectly. Desserts were rich, yet light. We can't express how wonderful our dining experience was here. Out of 10? 11. Thank you Sullivan's for making an important night a perfect dining experience.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go backEPopeDined on 9/21/2014The filet was unbelievable and the kale salad and calamari were to die for. Our waiter was fun, the drinks were good, the wine was even better. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb service & food!caniac27Dined on 9/21/2014We chose Sullivan's for my son's 21st birthday celebration dinner & it was a perfect evening! Our party of 6 enjoyed every bite of food & had the best server/waitress. It was a special night & my son loved it!Special Features:
- Everything I expectedSouthernTornadoDined on 9/20/2014I've heard a lot about Sullivan's but never been, though lots of my friends, etc. have. Husband took me there for a special evening on Friday and I was not disappointed. We each had the prix fix and there was more than enough food to satisfy us :) Our server, David, was personable and great recommendations.Special Features:
- DDF1Dined on 9/20/2014Another outstanding evening at Sullivans!! The service team lead by Dan was outstanding. They went beyond the call to provide superb service for our family. They did multiple special accomodations to make the evening very special for all.Special Features:
- Great food; great serviceMIkeyMikeDined on 9/19/2014The food was wonderful. I had a NY strip and my wife had salmon. She said it was one of the best fish dishes she's ever had. My steak was cooked just as ordered. The sides were a great compliment. The s'mores chocolate mousse cake was the perfect ending to a delicious meal. Our waitress was fantastic. She was very attentive without being intrusive. The only downside to Sullivan's is that it is not a relaxing atmosphere. With so many waitstaff running around and turning tables over very quickly we felt very rushed ourselves (even though we weren't).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was incredibleBRosenDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I had dinner at Sullivan's for our anniversary. Although pricey, you certainly get your money's worth. The food was delicious and the service was wonderful. No less than 5 employees from server to manager walked by our table and wished us a happy anniversary. They even prepared a unique dessert on the house.Special Features:
- HananPaulLDined on 9/18/2014Our server Hanan was great!! The reason I gave service a lower rating is because of timing. The meal took about 30-45 minutes longer than it should have, I think because of a large party in the private room?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!cupchuruchDined on 9/16/2014Everything that I ate here was amazing! There was also good portions for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in steakOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014I choose to have the age rub new strip for dinner after recommendation by waitress and a friend dining before us. I was greatly disappointed in the quality of the steak. There was so much gristle in my steak I could barely cut it with the knife, then chewing it was near impossible. All this from a $50 steak. The chef should have rejected this cut from the beginning.Special Features:
- Crowded and noisyMeguDined on 9/13/2014I forgot to request a booth, so I was feeling a bit claustrophobic with the tables SO close together and so many people maneuvering between them. The food is fairly good, but the waitstaff was unprofessional for this type of restaurant. When we ordered mixed drinks instead of choosing from the wine list our waitress actually said "liquor is quicker". Yikes. At least we didn't have the waiter at the next table over, who rambled on about sports for so long we thought he was going to sit down and join the couple he was serving. The food was reasonably good, but presentation was really lacking. I tried to make the best of it, but for this price range I think I'll stick to Second Empire in the future.
- Sullivans has gone downhillLocalDined on 9/11/2014Dined there 9/11 service and food were horrible with 2 business colleagues. Experience was embarrassing as both remarked as we were leaving that I need to find a new favorite place. Have been to Sullivan's many times and was always pleased but steak was undercooked and sent back and it took 15 minutes to get it back to the table. Sides which were not replaced. No one (manager) came to the table to ask if anything was alright other than someone hovering over me when the steak was delivered asking of it was OK. Steak medallions were mostly gristle and fat. Service was substandard compared to what I've experienced in the past. Not sure what has happened there (at Sullivan's) but it is not the restaurant it used to be.,
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014Service was fantastic. Food was great also. Being from WI always compare the steaks. Still love WI steaks better but Sullivan's was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything was greatoldfoodieDined on 9/7/2014We used Opentable to make the reservations out of convenience. We met our friends in their bar, where the choices and prices were reasonable, especially since the ladies martini's were on sale. The meal and service was just about as good as it could get. Granted we all had steaks, which is what the restaurant has been known for as long as I've been around. Sauteed mushrooms as a side was an excellent choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulSkinnyeatsDined on 9/6/2014Myself and partner really enjoyed our meal, service, location, and ambiance. Great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The food was incredible along with the drinks. Had a wonderful dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy 5th AnniversaryJustDowntheRoadDined on 9/6/2014"My wife and I chose Sullivan's for our 5th anniversary dinner. I definitely would return, but just not on a special occasion. There were people filing in from an NC State football game in t-shirts and shorts and I was in dress pants and a dress shirt. They should consider a dress code after a certain time. It didn't quite have the intimate and special feel we were expecting, however we still enjoyed the time together and adapted just fine to the energetic atmosphere. The 12 oz. filet and crab cake were wonderful choices. The lobster and shrimp bisque was great too. Service was friendly and we did not feel rushed.Special Features:
- Great meal; service not up to parFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014We often dine at Sullivan's for a great meal. We had salmon and a dry aged strip steak. Both entrees were prepared perfectly. Our starters of French onion soup and kale salad were very good as were the sides of asparagus and au gratin potatoes. When it came time to pay the bill our server, Lou, questioned the validity of the Open Table $20 check. When the manager approved I told her I wanted to use frequent diner points to offset a portion of the check. I don't know if she thought I would short her tip or she didn't want to be bothered but Lou became argumentative giving me silly reasons why I shouldn't. I insisted on using the points so she complied. I tipped her 20% of the original check so I hope she was satisfied.Special Features:
- Only steakhouse for me! Period!DonEDined on 9/6/2014We have been to Sullivan's on a fee occasions, and most recently celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary there. Everything, as it's been each time we have been, was exceptional! We have been to Angus Barn and Ruth's Chris, and I wouldn't even recommend either of those places to anyone I know, especially when Sullivan's is, in my opinion, the ONLY option! Thank you for making my decision this easy, and thank you for your standard of excellence which sets you apart!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary celebrationjackcorvetteDined on 9/5/2014First time at Sullivan's. Cose it for the reviews - best of all the steak houses in Raleigh. Food and service stood up to the fabulous reviews previously received. When they found out it was our 50th anniversary, the wait staff couldn't do enough for us. Will go again and not just for a special occasaion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.