207 9th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2P 1K3Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sukiyakihouse.com/
- Phone: 4032633003
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00AM - 2:00PM
Dinner: Monday- Thursday: 5:00PM - 9:30PM
Friday & Saturday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We will prepare the menu according to your group and budget. Please inform us 24 hrs in advance.
- Private Party Facilities: Welcome any kind of private function or party.
- Private Party Contact: Judith 4032633003
A word from Sukiyaki House
Welcome to the new Sukiyaki House- a place where the finest authentic Japanese Cuisine is presented in a contemporary chic setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Sukiyaki House - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Sukiyaki House reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (14)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (4)special occasion (3)romantic (3)hot spot (3)Show More
- Yummy!DeliciousDinerDined on 9/5/2014I absolutely love the sukiyaki house, what a gem! my boss took me there for lunch one day and ever since I have been showing it to all my friends. It will now be added on my dinner out rotation list.Special Features:
- S... L... O... W...GogglesPizanoDined on 8/28/2014Great food but terribly slow. We had a reservation for Noon and our order was taken at about 12:15. The food came to each person individually so that our first person had their food at about 12:35 and the last person in our group of seven had their food at 1:20, well after the first people had finished their lunch. On the plus side the tempura shrimp was one of the best I've had.
- Excellent all around!LunchReviewerVIPDined on 6/16/2014We had a large group to Sukiyaki House for lunch (12 of us). It was the first visit for many of us there -and everyone was very impressed with the venue, service and food. For our sushi lovers, they were really impressed with the selection and preparation, and several commented it was amazing! For those having tempura - also great dishes! The service was excellent - they offered great recommendations depending on individual preferences and comfort levels. Really nice, modern décor ... we will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 128 reviews are from the Sukiyaki House reviews archive.
- Excellent food, great serviceECcalgaryVIPDined on 5/16/2014We were there to celebrate Mother's Day and both my aging parents and my teenaged kids found something they liked on the menu. If you call them ahead of time, they can special order food for you, e.g lobster sashimi. Both the hot food and sushi are nicely done and really fresh. One thing to mention, they probably has the best desert among all Japanese restaurants in Calgary. Good wine choice also. Price are just a little bit more expensive than traditional Japanese sushi place but it's money well spent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant and tastyLaineyeatsDined on 5/10/2014We thought the food was pleasantly surprisingly good ! And the space is gorgeous. Lots of room and high ceilings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceKirvineVIPDined on 5/1/2014We found our mains a bit bland - and our server picked up right away on us not being big fans, so she asked for our feedback as it was a new menu as of the day before. We could tell she genuinely wanted us to enjoy our food and asked pointed questions so she could communicate that to the chefs and they could improve the dishes. She turned what could have been a bad experience into a great one. Amazing service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appreciation lunchHungryMommaDined on 4/14/2014I brought two employees for an appreciation lunch - we all enjoy sushi and this place is close to our work. Great food, good service, would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch hourOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/31/2014give yourself at least an hour or if you want to get in and get out, than this might not be a spot for you but the food and service is great, you just need a little more time at this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2014Such excellent service and the food with prepared so beautifully and most importantly so fresh and yummy! I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- DelicioussushiloverDined on 3/14/2014The sushi at Sukiyaki House is always amazing. I've eaten at this restaurant 15+ times and have never been disappointed. The presentation also adds to each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unfortunate lunch...serverbigguyVIPDined on 3/4/2014unfortunate lunch...server was very friendly and it wasn't her fault at all...but the food took over 45 mins to get to us...which at lunch on a weekday isn't acceptable! No realy explanation, excuse or apology which is too bad because the sushi is very good....but I won't be returning.
- Nice sushi experiencePascalDined on 2/28/2014Good value for money taking the Sushi Sashimi combo which includes Miso soup. Menu options are quite limited. Issue with the service which was definitely too slow: 30 mn to take orders, 1 hour and 15 mn to get food served (sushi & sashimi should not be so long to prepare). Definitely not the best sushi or Japanese restaurant in downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciously enjoyable!!NYSueDined on 2/20/2014Read many reviews where people have complained about the 'lunch time wait'...well, I can say this: perhaps they can't handle all the lunchtime rush...but their popularity speaks volumes!! I'd come back here any time. Suggest booking in advance (for lunch) - however dinner is calm and you can walk in on most weeknights, and I'd highly recommend it! Every dish is delicately prepared with all fresh ingredients - they make all their own sauces so can guarantee no MSG and artificial/chemical flavour enhancers/preservatives so no food drugs! Just wholesome ingredients put together in an expertly fashion...makes it absolutely addictive! Stayed at Fairmont (next door) and came here 3 times for dinner during 1 week. OUTSTANDING service. Thanks!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pricey and slow. but at leastOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014pricey and slow. but at least the staff knew they were being slow and apologized for it. nice to try, wont go back.Special Features:
- Great food,terrible serviceRVPPDined on 2/14/2014Had a reservation, they messed this up somehow and we ended being taken to the bar to wait for about 15 min. No one offered us a drink at this time. We were shown to our table where we received many apologies and yet still terrible service. Waited another 15 min for our server to come and see if we wanted anything to drink. Asked for water and didn't receive it until having to ask a second time. There seemed to be a team service system going on and we received prompt service from everyone besides our original waitress who seemed frazzled constantly. On the other hand the food was amazing and we had a lovely waiter come at the end and have fun with us while we did our first saki bombs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go somewhere elseHungry4sushiDined on 2/14/2014Food was ok, service not so much...appy showed up 3/4 way through dinner, parking ticket capped off valentines day dinner...Special Features:
- ValentinesDoseyDined on 2/14/2014The service and food was the best. The people made feel comfortable the minute we arrived. Great experience we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, but overpriced.ElleCookieDined on 1/16/2014Food was good, but overpriced. Service was slow, waited 30 minutes in between appetizers and the main course.
- First Visit...I was ImpressedRegularGuyVIPDined on 1/15/2014This is the first time I have been to this restaurant since they moved to their new location and I was really impressed. This is now my new favorite sushi restaurant in Calgary. The quality of the sushi is second to none. Everything is incredibly fresh and well prepared with the service to go along with it. I have been to all of the good sushi restaurants in downtown Calgary and this is one of, if not the best. The sushi is not cheap but definitely worth the premium price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip itOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/19/2013Service at lunch is slow. Sushi is okay by Calgary standards and poor by global standards. Needs a lot of improvement.
- Good Sushi but...SushiloverVIPDined on 12/17/2013I have been to Sukiyaki House several times over the past few years. Sushi is always pretty good...its the service that really needs work. At lunch they can take a long time to get service and last time the rolls came first, the appitizers second and the sushi last...? Suggest that if you are in a time crunch at lunch, book early( Before noon, or late, after1)
- Gluten Free optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/13/2013When I mentioned I could not eat Gluten, they were able to customize a number of their rolls to make them gluten free. As well they have a gluten free soy sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/6/2013While the food was incredible - so yummy - it was the service that made our evening memorable. The staff were attentive, entertaining, personable, and funny. It was clear that they enjoyed their jobs and enjoyed having us there - we felt right at home!Special Features:
- Clean and tasty!SandieDined on 11/1/2013Very clean and fresh and tasty! sushi sizes are perfect bite or two bite size and presentation is awesome!Special Features:
- Worth the waitJustalillostDined on 10/29/2013While the service was a bit slow when we were there, the food was absolutely delicious. Central location with an unfortunate view of the parking lot next door in their floor to ceiling windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoy it here. VeryVeniceVIPDined on 10/24/2013Really enjoy it here. Very fresh sushi. Teriyaki chicken was also delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- HI The food quality & presentationPrettyDined on 10/21/2013HI The food quality & presentation is great! The service can be better e.g. the cashier could have more smile. Maybe the cashier had a bad day. SheSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely FantasticsushiloverDined on 10/16/2013I took my boyfriend to Sukiyaki House for his birthday and the waiter overhead me wish him a happy birthday. The owner came over and wished him a happy birthday and brought us complimentary dessert. All the rolls were delicious and the presentation was phenomenal. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who appreciates good sushi and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceAsianfusion8VIPDined on 9/4/2013Our party went on a Thursday. The service was great and the waitress and waiter was very attentive. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Sushi, Service a little slowSushiloverVIPDined on 8/28/2013The service needs some work. We had a reservation at noon for 5 people. It took some time to get attended to and it took quite a while to get all of of order. Sushi is good, service needs some work.
- SushiJimboDined on 8/24/2013In a word, Fantastic! Try the volcano rolls. Food is so good and the presentation just as nice. After paying the bill I still had a few sips of beer left so the owner brought over a small dish of Edamame to help with finishing my beer. A nice finish to a great meal. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a treat once inOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/21/2013Great for a treat once in a while. Can be expensive and the service is slow, but the food is extremely good and worth the wait.Special Features:
- Best sushi in townRae8Dined on 7/17/2013This place is amazing! Fresh ingredients, great flavor combinations and wonderful atmosphere. I love this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Downtown SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2013A little expensive, reservations recommended. But the food is great & service above average. Worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, takes a whileJcfoodVIPDined on 6/19/2013The food and servers are amazing, but the food takes a really long time, too long for a business lunch, and the servers seem overwhelmed by tables and need to be flagged down. They are the friendliest servers in town, you just don't see enough of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchSushigirlDined on 5/7/2013We had the pleasure of dining at sukiyaki house. The food, the service and everything was Incredible. We came in when things were basically closin down but they allowed us to stay and they served us So thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The amount of time for theDrJMDined on 4/30/2013The amount of time for the food to arrive took a long time. When I was informed of this, my colleagues told me that it is the same old same old story that this restaurant is always slow. I then asked why keep coming here, well, the answer is because the food is good. So if you are willing to wait a little longer than normal, it is quite worth it. For the cost of the food it better be :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It took well over an hourRBNFastFoodVIPDined on 4/30/2013It took well over an hour to get our order and there was at least a 20 minute delay between those of us who ordered off the menu (which came first) and those who ordered sushi. It was obvious that we were the lowest priority of all the patrons in the restaurant as we did not get served the food until the restaurant was empty (literally). We did note that ALL of the patrons that came into the restaurant AFTER WE ORDERED were gone before we received our sushi order. The waiter was apologetic once the food finally came, but I will say that it was one of the most disappointing dining experiences I have had in a while - made even more so by the fact that the food was very enjoyable, but the service dictated that we are unlikely to return....
- Horrible experience. BookedDonCVIPDined on 4/16/2013Horrible experience. Booked a 1:30 lunch reservation for after the conclusion of a business meeting. Upon arrival, I was told they were closing early for lunch and that they needed our order immediately before the chef left. They had been trying to contact me during my meeting--seemed they felt it was my fault that I booked an Open Table reservation at a time they were open and did not answer my phone so they could change it.They sat our business meeting next to the front door in a completely empty restaurant. Service was rude and rushed--wait staff was in their coats ready for us to leave. Food quality was okay at best for cooked dishes. I suspect this restaurant is in trouble and is cutting costs.
- Very slow kitchen. Took overRavenVIPDined on 4/12/2013Very slow kitchen. Took over 60 minutes from the time we ordered to get our food. Don't count on getting in and out if you only have an hour. Food was fantastic when it arrived.