Sugo - John's Creek
10305 Medlock Br. Road, at the Shoppes of St. Ives
Duluth, GA 30097Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Sugo - John's Creek
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sugorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7708178000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm
Friday and Saturday 5:00pm-11:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Ricardo Soto
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offering on-site as well as off-site catering. Please consult our events manager, Stephanie Castellucci for more details. We can also email you our Special Events Menu. Simply send an email to email@example.com with your contact information, and we will promptly send you an electronic version of our menu.
- Private Party Facilities: We are happy to walk you through the process of booking your next special event. We have two private rooms available for booking.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Castellucci or Mikki Warburton 770-817-8000x
- Special Events: Join the "Sugo Family" database to receive exclusive offers to wine events and other member only promotions.
A word from Sugo - John's Creek
At Sugo we strive to create an exceptional dining experience through precisely prepared high quality ingredients, attention to detail, and sincere hospitality. The cuisine features modern re-inventions of dishes from our family's past. Blending ingredients and flavors from both our Italian and Greek roots creates a unique taste of the Mediterranean seldom found in the US. Our roots in the restaurant business trace back to 1917 in Providence, Rhode Island as Greek and Italian immigrant restaurateurs. As one of the preeminent restaurants outside the perimeter, we aim to exceed your expectations thoroughly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Sugo - John's Creek - Best Restaurants in Duluth ›
Sugo - John's Creek reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (93)special occasion (91)fit for foodies (79)romantic (62)good for groups (39)notable wine list (38)great for outdoor dining (19)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Lovely eveningMorgansDined on 10/11/2014First time there with out of town guests. The experience was wonderful and it was a big hit with our guests! The owner's personal visit to our table along with an amazing server made it a great time. Our only criticism was it was super loud and difficult to hear in the main dining room. A somewhat quieter setting would have taken the experience to the next level! We will be back! Its our new favorite!Special Features:
- Excellent service; food was mehatlantadinerDined on 10/11/2014I so wanted to give this restaurant a high rating - our waitress Rebecca was detailed, doting and made every dish sound wonderful. The manager walked by several times checking if everything was all right. Our water glasses were constantly being filled. The atmosphere was subdued and very relaxing. BUT.....the food was not as good as I expected. Our dishes were brought promptly but the bread was basic, their signature meatball starter did not have much flavor and the bacon wrapped dates were just OK. My husband was not at all impressed by the bracciole. Maybe we tried the wrong dishes (I ordered the swordfish special). However I doubt we will be going back here.Special Features:
- Details matterfoodfanDined on 10/11/2014From the outset you know you are about to experience something special. The moment we walked through the door we were warmly welcomed by not one, but three smiling greeters. We were immediately escorted to our table where it seemed an army of Sugo staff catered to our every need. Impressively, Mr. C himself took the time to come to our table and describe the different elements that make Sugo's menu so incredible. This is one dining experience not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningCocomotoDined on 10/4/2014Enjoyed a great evening celebrating 65th anniversary. Staff very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, don't try "lasagna"seirrehcDined on 10/3/2014The last time I dined at Sugo was approx 6-8 years ago in Roswell and remembered loving the wide selection. We shared the Caprese salad & were thoroughly impressed. I ordered the lasagna and she ordered Federico's Braciole. Her Braciole was delicious as expected. My lasagna was nothing like a lasagna at all. As much as I appreciate unique dishes, it's hard to take a staple Italian dish and interpret it so loosely. Served in a baked ziti-type dish, I had two bites of soupy cheese & sausage. Our waiter approached as I was looking confusedly at the dish & immediately offered to get me another dish. I quickly received the Black Truffle Pasta, but had my heart set on authentic lasagna. Excellent service, but I left disappointed.Special Features:
- OutstandingBTGroarkVIPDined on 10/3/2014My first time I have been to Sugo's, shame on me. The food was outstanding, service great and the owner's were exemplary hosts - their social interaction with the guests alone is reason to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!AurelioDined on 10/3/2014My wife and I recently dined at Sugo for the first time and we'll be back. Our server, Amanda, was terrific! Mr.C dropped by our table and everyone else's more than once to make sure everything was OK. Our whole lobster or pasta was outstanding and the stuffed squash flowers were a wonderful treat! Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Over the Top Wonderful!dawnVIPDined on 9/27/2014Went with another couple and enjoyed a marvelous meal. I had a wine flight matched to a 3 course food selection. Superb! Service is always the best, but Mr. & Mrs. C treated us like we were there favorite, most important guests. That's why we go back again and again.Special Features:
- Our Favorite Restaurantmeag9686Dined on 9/27/2014My husband and I have been going here for years. We first dined here to see if it was a good spot for a rehearsal dinner (it is) and have continued to dine here for anniversaries and birthdays. This time, it was our four year anniversary. We enjoyed every bit. I would say the best things on the menu are the bacon wrapped dates, meatballs, Chicago prime, and hanger steak. Don't forget the chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sure ThingYumYallDined on 9/26/2014Once again, an evening was capped with another flawless visit to one of my favorite restaurants - Sugo. The proprietors, Federico and Nancy, are there to insure their remarkably inventive cuisine is served with the proper educated enthusiasm. It makes for an always enjoyable and delicious adventure that never gets old. This time we tried the Brachiole, the North Atlantic Salmon and the Stuffed Chicken - all different - all simply wonderful! Sugo ... Bella!Special Features:
- Amazing!WaccamawAtlDined on 9/26/2014Sat at the bar and Jason was amazing! From service, to cocktails, food and recommendations. Hands down would recommend Sugo to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary perfection!THC926Dined on 9/26/2014From the complete atmosphere to the food to the owners checking on our table, our anniversary date night was perfect! This was our first time at Sugo and it certainly will not be our last!Special Features:
- Food is amazingMissyVIPDined on 9/24/2014Every course was well prepared, delicious and staff was great. Johns Creek is lucky to have Sugo. Flavors were all off the charts. Walnut stuffed bacon wrapped dates w/romesco sauce and spanikopita appetizers were perfect. Mains were delectable. Frederico's pork is a MUST. Desserts were also very good (baklava cheesecake & 00 choc cake).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always excellentLindaLouDined on 9/18/2014I have been to Sugo's many times, and as always it never disappoints. Excellent food and service. The bacon wrapped dates are a must!! Whether you are two or twelve this is always at the top of the list.Special Features:
- North 'burbs gem!GfrankDined on 9/18/2014Brought an out of town friend here for dinner and was extremely pleased with the overall experience. Great apps, wine selection and food was fabulous! Beautiful evening on the patio. Had minor glitch with server on couple items, but not something to diminish overall experience. Highly recommend and IMO think this is one of the best resturants in the northern 'burbs!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Was thinking about using this place as our rehearsal dinner location. After a romantic evening, I'm sold. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurantBigCDined on 9/12/2014As always at Sugo. The food is excellent and the service is top notch. Never disappointed and looking forward to next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantjunedVIPDined on 9/12/2014Love this restaurant. Celebrate all birthdays and anniversaries here. Bring all visiting friends here for a great dinner. Food is always well prepared, fresh ingredients. Favorites include their lobster special, scallops, crispy artichoke appetizer and Caprese salad. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than I rememberedLusciousDined on 9/6/2014We went here for our anniversary. We had previously dined here 10 years ago and my husband hadn't remembered dining here. He was very impressed with the service. Our waiter Anthony was outstanding. He described the dishes to perfection.Special Features:
- Always ConsistentATLMommaDined on 9/6/2014Have eaten here several times and it is always consistent. Excellent service, warm atmosphere and interesting, quality menu choices go together to make Sugo a go to when we want a finer dining evening but not stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fun and amazing food!dawnVIPDined on 9/5/2014We got treated like royalty there! Went with friends and got a great table and server. So many wonderful choices for dinner and wine list. Had the bread pudding for dessert -fabulous! Mr. & Mrs. C are the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014The experience from start to finish cannot be beat. The owners want every diner to know they are important and they show their appreciation for selecting Sugo's. Every dish we have had is nothing but the best.Special Features:
- All Was Great Until the EndAdrianVIPDined on 9/4/2014I don't think I'll return cause of a reason I'm unable to say due to OpenTable policy. However let me still describe the rest of my visit. The place is spacious and comfortable. The service is top notch! The owner came to our table, greeted us, and explained the specials. Love to see this type of passion and care from an owner. Our waiter, super friendly, happily answered our questions, gave good recommendations, and went out of her way to make our experience great. The food is extremely fresh and as a result tastes outstanding. Our table loved the Meatball, Mushroom Ravioli, and their Scallops were the best I recall having. What happened to me is probably a one time thing, so I still recommend others to visit due to the food and service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!JohnDined on 9/2/2014We took advantage of autumn special. Tried some new dishes and loved all the food! Always great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!SandBVIPDined on 8/28/2014Having eaten at the other Castelucci restaurants (Iberian Pig and Double Zero) we had high expectations but they were exceeded. Every dish was better than the previous and we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great Mid-Week Treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Many thanks to our server Angela who made wonderful recommendations and treated us well! The bacon-wrapped dates and stuffed squash blossoms with pasta were amazing openers to a lovely meal and a top notch dessert!Special Features:
- Superb StaffEchtayDined on 8/26/2014I made a reservation and indicated it was my first time visiting the restaurant. Someone called and I explained we were taking business clients to Sugo for dinner. A private room was offered and it was wonderful. The owner walked us through the menu and explained where the ingredients came from. The food was excellent! I appreciated the great customer service from the time I made the reservation through the time I left. We'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not honoring reservationsouttodineDined on 8/23/2014We arrived 15 mins before our reservation and was told by our time we would be seated. 35 mins after our reservation we still we still were not seated. We have never been here before and were never directed to the bar area or any area of the restaurant at all. The restaurant was more interested in seating bigger parties instead of parties of 2. Both my husband and I have worked the restaurant life and are great tippers. We felt like we were taken advantage of because of our apparent age. (we were younger than many around us) We will not ever go back despite hearing how wonderful this place is. This was not how we wanted to spend out 9th anniversary together..not to mention paying for a babysitter to just sit and wait.Special Features:
- My freinds were right!caneswinDined on 8/23/2014I had a several friends give me positive reviews of the restaurant and they were right. We had dinner at Sugo to celebrate a birthday on a Saturday night. The restaurant was busy, but not in an overwhelming way, and a reservation is suggested. Our server, Julia, was fantastic. Julia was very knowledgeable about the menu, attentive, and extremely pleasant. What stood out about the food for us, besides the great taste, was the freshness. Fantastic and refreshing. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- So Delicious it almost hurts !!!!!!thkflDined on 8/23/2014Food and presentation are stellar !! Italian food to die for !! If Zucchini pods are offered as a small plate, don't miss them!! And the Lamb Crostini and Meatball are amazing !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerGood2goDined on 8/22/2014Food was outstanding as usual and Mr. C. stopped by the table a couple of times to make sure everything was ok.Special Features:
- One of our favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We've been here quite a few times; definitely one of our favorites! The food is fabulous, the specials are always very interesting! The service is among the best.Special Features:
- Terrific, As UsualfeedmeDined on 8/16/2014Once again dinner at Sugo was a pleasure. Excellent food with great service and very reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Causual Elegance for the EveningbensojaDined on 8/16/2014An Anniversary Dinner to remember! We relaxed and dined from 7:30 until 10:30 PM. We weren't rushed or hurried. The wait staff knew we were celebrating. They made appetitizer and dinner suggestions, help with wine selection and even suggested the perfect dessert - the Chocolate Cake. We even banter with Mr. and Mrs. C. To top off the evening, one of the wait staff sang an Italian Love Song in honor of our 15th wedding anniversary.Special Features:
- Enjoyable early dinnerCoachDined on 8/16/2014To celebrate my birthday we enjoyed Sugo's Kitchen for the first time. Tucked away on the back side of a shopping center along busy Medlock Bridge Road, it was not visible from the road, but we were glad to find it. The meal was excellent and the owner dropped by to chat and he was friendly and hospitable. Very nice experience overall!Special Features:
- scotsmanDined on 8/16/2014An excellent dining experience 2.5 hrs. of culinary pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014I must admit that the last few times I'd been to Sugo, it seemed like it wasn't as good as the past therefore I hadn't been in a while. I'm happy to report they are back. Service and food were excellent. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great service and foodRahimPVIPDined on 8/15/2014I always enjoy my meals at Sugo. The staff is fantastic and the food is always great. I've never had a bad experience dining at Sugo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food -- Service not greatJon4DinnerDined on 8/15/2014My first time at the restaurant for a first date. I was extremely disappointed in the service. When I have to flag down my server to ask where our appetizers were, asked for another serving of bread (which we never received) then had to ask the owner twice (since our server never returned to our table) for another glass of wine ... well ... service was horrid. Food, however, when it finally arrived was very good. The squash blossom appetizer was superb!!Special Features:
- Take Notes!NativeATLnDined on 8/8/2014Always consistently good. The Castellucci's are great hosts. Others should take notes... You truly feel that they are glad you came. The secret is that this feeling filters throughout the staff. We know we will have a great experience, great food, great wine and we know we will be back!Special Features: