2139 City Gate Lane
Naperville, IL 60563Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sugartoad.com/
- Phone: 6307788623
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 6:30am - 10:30am Lunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Keith Willis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Ballroom plus meeting rooms at the Hotel Arista.
- Private Party Contact: Zandra Torrico 6305797840
A word from SugarToad
Treat yourself. Experience a fresh taste with a modern culinary spin. At SugarToad each bite unfolds a flavor astonishment. It’s a different way to taste and an intensely satisfying way to eat. SugarToad offers breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner. The chef changes the menu throughout the seasons to use only fresh, organic ingredients, as well as to create new and inventive dishes. SugarToad's mission: to inspire guests through constant creativity. SugarToad’s philosophy is to explore both modern and traditional methods and techniques and to fuse both through new explorations and experiences. Inspired by the regional uniqueness of a blowfish found only in the Chesapeake Bay that bears the same name, SugarToad offers the comforts of a fine dining restaurant but in a relaxed and friendly setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
SugarToad - Best Restaurants in Naperville ›
SugarToad reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (9)fit for foodies (8)romantic (8)notable wine list (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (5)neighborhood gem (4)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Very flavorful diningJPMoneyDined on 8/23/2014This was our anniversary and the food was outstanding. Not just good salmon or good ribeye but very flavorful. Very small so the lobby bar noise overtook the restaraunt ambiance. Limited menu but a good items to choose. Don't bring children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was goodNashDined on 8/21/2014I was sorry to see that the menu on Open Table is LOT different than the menu in the restaurant. Service was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date Night SpotCBannerDined on 8/8/2014Quiet ambiance, impeccable service and delicious food is what we have come to expect every time we visit Sugar Toad! I have never had cause to complain about any aspect of my 5+ dining experiences. Sugar Toad is our "go-to" date night spot!Special Features:
- It's a Toad not a PrinceFoodninjaDined on 8/8/2014Thought since this hotel is so amazing the restaurant on site would be. I was very, very wrong. Service was very nice and waitress was lovely. Food was at best average and the killer was fruit flies in everything! Had a glass of wine invaded by fruit flies, told waitress, she brought me another glass of wine but charged me for both. The rib eye steak was the weakest looking thing I've seen. The steak was 39 dollars and was not very large but cooked medium rare which was ok. Overall this was a very disappointing meal for the very expensive price tag. Take the time and go to the Riverwalk area of Naperville or somewhere else unless you love fruit flies :)
- Yummy noises with EVERY biteCatmandu28VIPDined on 8/1/2014My meter for good food is simple: did I make any "yummy noises" while eating? I can say that I made yummy noises with EVERY SINGLE BITE of my meal at SugarToad! Starting off with their complimentary amuse-bouche of a prosciutto-wrapped fig (a sort of play on bacon-wrapped dates), was unexpected and tasty. Not a huge fan of figs I wasn't crazy about this, but it was still an interesting pairing. The magic came with the OUTSTANDING compressed watermelon-feta-arugula salad. A bit pricey for the amount of food you receive for this dish, but it was worth it. Entree was the skillet chicken with kale and fingerling potatoes. Simple, but oh so delicious. Top the meal off with their Malbec offering and their pretzel rolls and I was one happy gal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/9/2014Good meal and friendly staff. Interesting menu and overall had an enjoyable evening. Outside seating area was a bonus.Special Features:
- food reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014The food was served barely warm. The dining room was almost empty when we ordered, so there should be no reason that our food arrived like that. It would have been delicious if served at the proper temperature. too many brussel sprouts, which I don't remember being listed in the description of the entree or the appetizer. but that's just a minor, personal preference. just a suggestion that the vegetables be more varied. Tim, our waiter, was very helpful and knowledgeable about the wines and menu selections.
- Great Food and WineDwpLjpVIPDined on 6/21/2014Delicious risotto, papardelle and short rib dishes. Pate appetizer also deelish. Excellent red wines by the glass and fun cocktails. Server was quite untrained and unfamiliar with the menu (couldn't answer any questions), but was friendly and attentive. Great place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- You're in for a treatSaharDined on 6/1/2014Inside the Hotel Arista, this restaurant was a delightful surprise for us. The food was delicious. We had the short ribs and fish special. They were beautifully presented and the carrot/navy bean soup was excellent. Our ten year old son had the hamburger & fries. He told us this was now his favorite place to eat. Dessert was the peach bread pudding for us to share & the server did up a bowl of ice cream just like our son asked for (chocolate syrup & cherry on top). The meal was well paced and a very relaxing experience. A delightful find for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow what a findOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/24/2014So this was the first time we have been there. It is going though some changes right now, but the food and the service was great!!! We were told that they just hired a new Chef that starts soon and he is going to a lot more with the food and the whole hotel. We will be back for sure!!!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014Food was good but slightly overpriced. The Cobb salad was just ok, duck was a little dry and served in what looked like a mixing bowl. Fish tacos and peach bread pudding were excellent.Special Features:
- The following 597 reviews are from the SugarToad reviews archive.
- Good But SlowbrothertomDined on 5/3/2014The food was quite good, but the service was extremely slow, although the staff was friendly. We dinned on a Saturday night, and there was a wedding in the hotel. Perhaps this is why the restaurant seemed under staffed. The oysters were fresh and cold, but the mignonette could have used a tad more vinegar. I had the Risotto and my wife had the mussels. Our other guests had the pork chops and the mahi mahi, a substitute for the Ono Special that was out. All of the food was very good, and the panna cotta desert was excellent. We had a very nice time, but the dinner took way too long because of the large gaps of time between courses. We also waited an uncomfortable amount of time for the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of pace for breakfast5boysDined on 4/27/2014We were looking for somewhere different to celebrate a birthday, wanting to have breakfast. It was great. We dined on a Sunday around 11 am and just us and one other family was dining. The place is small, so I can only imagine that it gets noisy at a dinner time. Excellent breakfast/lunch options. Kids meals were awesome. The fresh fruit cup was the best I have seen around. Good variety of fruits. Not sure I will dine for dinner ( little too pricey)..maybe the bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- drmoVIPDined on 4/25/2014When sugar toad first opened we would go fairly often. However we felt it went downhill and avoided it. Some friends said it had improved so we gave it a try. There was a seasonal fixed price menu so we gave it a trey. The first course offered an Italian egg soup with no flavor. The terrine however was excellent. I tried the artic char with fiddleheads which was very good. My husband's steak was overly salted. The desserts were Inedible. The waitress said they were interviewing a new chef. Maybe will try again. But I'd rather go across the way to city gate grill
- wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2014the food at this restaurant is very well prepared and quite creative. Very tasty. strongly recommend itSpecial Features:
- Sugartoad=FABULOUS!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014Brought my Mom here for Easter/Birthday brunch...fanTAStic! Servers were very polite and attentive...the veggie frittata was amazing! Excellent food and a lovely atmosphere. Will definitely be back! (Only drawback: $12 tiny mimosas.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sugartoad-ALLY!MillerUNfilteredDined on 4/19/2014I can't wait to go back! We had the pleasure of Amber as our server, she was attentive, knowledgeable about the menu, offered advice with so many amazing choices. The bartender made the perfect dirty martini, super dirty "Lindsy Lohan" style... Just the way I like it! It was so nice to not be rushed and actually encouraged to take our time. The food was beautifully presented and absolutely phenomenal! Fresh and all made to order... The attention to detail was REALLY impressive! From the salumi board, fois gra, the squash soup, everyone was having fun and sharing tastes... Best Scotch egg I've ever had! Aprils tasting menu is all about the eggs! Everything was so amazing, we wished we had room for dessert! See you again soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't quite hit the markOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2014SugarToad was enjoyable, but I wouldn't trek from the City to Naperville specifically to dine there again. It is a rather small hotel restaurant, nicely appointed, very comfortable chairs. When my date and I arrived, the bar was jam-packed with people waiting to go to a wedding reception, and the noise level was almost unbearable. As soon as they cleared out, it was almost like a library. They offer some very unique and tasty (and some not so tasty) specialty drinks. The gem salad was overdressed, which was a shame because otherwise it would've been a knockout. The entrees were good - but the fries that accompanied a rather good burger were cold. Service was friendly and very accommodating, but not very knowledgable about the menu.
- Interesting - expect changeselmerVIPDined on 4/4/2014Creative but small menu of locally sourced foods. Sleek modern room adjacent to Zorba bar which was loud. Pricy wine list. Chef just left, so there may be some changes coming to the menu. Would definitely go back, but this hotel restaurant is a bit small and out of the way and may be challenged to do well long term.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was incredible. TheA1foodieDined on 3/21/2014The food was incredible. The chef found creative ways to use Guiness for March. Our server disappeared at a certain point and was never seen again, but another person stepped in when we asked for assistance with no problem. Great attitude and timely.Special Features:
- First time, will be backAdventurliciousDined on 2/27/2014We went for Naperville Restaurant Week and had an awesome experience. The food was excellent (pomegranate Cornish hen with sage polenta, short ribs in caramel sauce, red currant cheesecake, and peaches and cream bread pudding). I love bread pudding and they made it just right plus the Cornish hen was awesome. The service was perfect; we had an awesome server who gave us great recommendations. We went on a Thursday so there were only a few couples there but we didn't mind because we got extra attention. It was romantic and yet casual enough to have fun; everyone was really friendly and helpful. We'll definitely be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindDaddyODined on 2/18/2014We went with friends because of the Dine Naperville event. We had been there once before several years ago, but it is not terribly convenient to our home. But this was a very nice experience and we will go back again. The food was very good, and unique, and we had a very nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's day venueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014Unlike so many other Naperville resturants, Sugartoad doesn't try to cram in more tables and degrade it's offerings or service for a special day. The food was at or above their normal high standards. Offering not one but two menus, with flexibility to choose from either, or both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice find!ChiGuyVIPDined on 2/7/2014We tried this restaurant for the first time...largely because they were offering 1000 Open Table points. However, we will now go back despite the extra points! The food and the service were very good! Almost too attentive at first (seemed like someone was always at our table), but overall a very good experience. And, the waiter was very helpful in helping us make our eating decisions. We will definitely be back...nice to have something new in the west suburbs!Special Features:
- Urban vibe food needs some tweakingWendy13Dined on 2/1/2014Love the new urban decor. Staff was very nice maybe too attentive. The hostess kept coming over and overfilling our glasses. Some of the food was outstanding and some was poor. We had their February special and the steak was amazing but the lobster was awful. The rice/cheese tasted like a hamburger helper rice that I couldn't eat. The lobster was cut into small pieces and mixed in with the rice. Wine menu was very expensive and had only names. We are not unseasoned wine consumers but there should be at least 1 sentence describing the notes. We ordered room service for breakfast that came from Sugartoad and that I give 5 stars! It was amazing! I feel that with some changes it would be a great place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousHoysayVIPDined on 1/31/2014The food was fabulous-from presentation to taste. Our waitress was attentive until the end when she disappeared and we had to flag down the hostess to take our check. I would have given this restaurant top stars all the way around except for the ambience. It is a small restaurant and you have to walk through the bar to get to the hostess stand. The bar was packed and we had to push our way through. The noise level from the bar made dining less than enjoyable. The acoustics are terrible! Only one other table in the restaurant was being (8 women for birthday party l) and it was excruciatingly loud. I left with a headache.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/30/2014Once seated it took 10 min to be asked if we wanted drinks and be given menues. We ordered a bottle of wine which came in a timely fashion. However, we thought it unusual for a restaurant of this caliber that no one asked to pour more wine for us at any point. After dinner we ordered a desert to split, but got the wrong one. So, we had to wait again for the correct one. When the check arrived it included a double charge for one of our two entrees and had to be redone. All in all, while the food here is wonderful and the atmosphere is nice, our experience with the service was poor. In fairness, we have been here one other time previously and had a very nice experience. Take your chances I guess, although the food remains very good.
- Darn Good for the MoneyCitySlickerDined on 1/29/2014Prices were very good considering the quality of the meal. I'm not saying cheap by any means but well worth the cost of a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/28/2014We were more than pleased and will be back soon. Good food and pleasant service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodBigBenDined on 1/28/2014This is one of our go to spots. We had the Caramel Banana french Toast. Yum! Good coffee to go along with meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and quiet hideawayTangoDined on 1/18/2014Service was excellent and offers exceptional food. Though the space was limited in size but sets a perfect tone to those sharing a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at best...DawnWDined on 12/31/2013Started with the hostess not acknowledging us and just kept looking from her computer screen to around the room. Manager arrived and had to tell her where to seat us. Had a choice between price fixe menu (New Years Eve) or regular menu as long as both people in the party choose the same. Issues with food: soup arrived with a skin on the top, beet salad had beets not fully cooked, steak lacked flavor, risotto basically a giant bowl of rice with a few COLD scallops in the middle and burnt bacon pieces scattered on the top. Waitress would disappear at times and it was difficult to get drinks refilled. Overall disappointed as we had read so many outstanding reviews. Maybe it was because it was New Years Eve, but the place was not full.
- Solid AverageMooseVIPDined on 12/31/2013The food & service are about what you would expect for the money. tough to sell a food destination that is in a desert of retail.Special Features:
- Going downhill fastCraigDined on 12/25/2013We have been to ST 4 times. First time several years ago was great - but each time since it's gotten far worse each time. This was the worst. The mushroom broth tasted like beef broth - no mushroom flavor. The fish dish needed a sauce, and had way too many Brussels sprouts. The pheasant had no flavor. The desserts were almost inedible. Service was mediocre at best. It's unfortunate that the previous focus on unique, flavorful foods and impeccable service has slipped to Denny's levels. I realize it was Christmas, but there's no point in opening if none of the staff cared to be there and let that show in the product.
- Food was okDissapointedDined on 12/25/2013We had Christmas dinner there this year. The food was ok. The service was ok. No I know why they were the only restaurant we could get a reservation at.
- It Thinks It CanbelenorediningDined on 12/24/2013To be fair, the dinner was just fine. However, champagne was flat, it took a LONG time to get my Diet Coke, and the BIG SHOW that was the offering of one, very ordinary dinner roll (King Hawaiian, which one can easily pick up in any grocery story) added up to a little place that thinks more of itself than it maybe should. Like I said, *fine,* but lose the pretentsions.
- Of their game?slybaconDined on 12/23/2013I've been to Sugartoads numerous times, almost always coming away amazingly pleased. The service is typically over the top, anticipatory of needs, and knowledgeable. This week two of us took our assistant out for a holiday celebratory lunch. But something seemed out of sorts at the restaurant. There was only one wait staff person. While Nathalie was pleasant, she appeared to be brand new and not have been completely trained. Noise from someone vacuuming nearby was producing a loud pitch which went on and on. We had to ask for them to fix it. The inside of the restaurant was looking tired and the normal buzz of interest was missing. Change of management?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice timeSherryDined on 12/15/2013It as a good meal with attentive service. We left pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second time at this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/7/2013Our second time at this restaurant. The food was excellent, but a little expensive. Our waiter was very personable, but even though the restaurant was far from busy, he forgot to bring my wine and then failed to give us left overs we had requested be boxed.Special Features:
- The food is the star here.jwbspaDined on 12/7/2013First impressions as we arrive was that it felt like a "hotel resturant"...small, modern decor, a little on the cold side and empty for a Saturday evening, except for the bar area. We were expecting the food to follow suite. Not the case. My husband and I were very pleased with our main entrees, perfectly cooked and very flavorful! The menu is fun with lots of creativity but did not match the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.